#1 MattD Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:35 AM

MattD

Bob "I'm Tired of this Shit" Johnson

• 1000+ posts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • Joined 21-October 07
Anyone here about this... from espn's recap of the charlotte game:

"It was a positive ending to a rough week for the Bobcats, who entered with the league's longest losing streak. Coach Sam Vincent put his team through two difficult days of practice that included a heated exchange between Vincent and Okafor at the end of Friday's workout.
Vincent was upset that Charlotte wasn't getting the ball to Okafor. They changed that in the first half, with Okafor scoring 13 points as the Bobcats built a 49-42 lead."

That may go along with what others have said about the players and how they feel like they may know more then Vincent etc. But this is interesting coming from Mek the mild mannered guy. Also the fact that Vincent said he was going to make the team practice 7 days a week, doesnt seem like a good idea to me, never giving the players a break... thoughts?

#2 davcbow Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:38 AM

davcbow

Waiting on Hugo's return!

• 1000+ posts
  • 4,484 posts
  • Joined 22-August 07
What ever was said or done behind the scenes, it worked..... We won finally!

Go Bobcats!!!!!

......Go Hornets!!!!! .. :cool:

#3 MattD Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:42 AM

MattD

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,072 posts
  • Joined 21-October 07
hardly something to say our problems are over about... we beat a lebron less cavs; barely

#4 davcbow Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:51 AM

davcbow

• 1000+ posts
  • 4,484 posts
  • Joined 22-August 07
I didnt say our problems are over, we need a good big man real bad and we need a small. We have 2 good players out on injury until next year at best. We have alot of problems and what coach did or said must have worked to get a team that had lost 7 games in a row and have the personnel problems we have to pull out a win. A win is a win and I'll take them as they come because they may not be that many this year with out any help..... :g:

#5 ohara831 Posted 09 December 2007 - 01:06 AM

ohara831

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • 5,430 posts
  • Joined 24-May 06
I have no problem at all with his busting their asses. I have been sick and tired of watching them essentially quit in the 4th when they got behind. Crash is the only one I can say I have not seen take time off when the game was out of hand. And that especially includes Okafor! He has disappeared way too often.

And like the man said above, it must have worked. Okafor was demanding the ball, and they team was giving it to him.

Finally, if a player thinks he knows more than the coach, then he's gonna be trouble. If that crap starts here like it did in NY and has on other teams in the past, then get rid of the troublemaker. I will back the Coach against a prima donna player almost every time!

#6 ziggy Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:05 AM

ziggy

Administrator

• Administrators

• 13,399 posts
  • Joined 05-January 06
This quote from today's Charlotte Observer also suggests that some of his perimeter guys are questioning his authoritah.

Vincent had told his shooters they were taking too many long balls.

"But we're open!" Vincent recalled of his shooters' reply.

"There's a reason you're open," Vincent said. "

#7 davcbow Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:08 AM

davcbow

• 1000+ posts
  • 4,484 posts
  • Joined 22-August 07
Thats a good burn on the perimeter game..... :g:

#8 Keetch Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:49 AM

Keetch

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,147 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06
Frankly, I trust Okafor's intelligence much more than Vincent' s or any of the coaches for that matter. I've worried that Okafor didn't sign his extension mostly because he can't trust this organization and needs to keep his options open. I'm worried.

I thought last night's game, though we won; was very ugly basketball.
Rollin' in Doh

#9 ohara831 Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:01 AM

ohara831

• 1000+ posts
  • 5,430 posts
  • Joined 24-May 06

Frankly, I trust Okafor's intelligence much more than Vincent' s or any of the coaches for that matter. I've worried that Okafor didn't sign his extension mostly because he can't trust this organization and needs to keep his options open. I'm worried.

I thought last night's game, though we won; was very ugly basketball.

Keetch: It is not a matter of who we think may be right on an issue. It is a matter of chain of command. You cannot have the players question the authority of the Coach. The team will absolutely disintegrate! It's like in the military. You dont question the intelligence of the guy in charge. If you are a Private, and a Colonel gives a command, you do what he says. If it does not work, but you have executed his Orders, then you have to trust the people above him to make a change. (But in the NBA, at least you do not have to die for your boss's errors in judgement. It's only a comparison, so please dont read too much into my example)

Bottom line is, if there is this feeling of mistrust, this team is DOOMED! MJ is not going to pull the plug on his man b/c Okafor, Ray, Crash or J-Rich questions his leadership. I agree with you on one aspect though - I think we do seriously have to worry about where this is going. Wven though we won last night.

#10 Keetch Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:13 AM

Keetch

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,147 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06
I understand O'Hara, and I bet Okafor does too. But between the PA announcer and Vincent the games are becoming unwatchable for me; I can't imagine what Okafor must be going through.
Rollin' in Doh

#11 ohara831 Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:27 AM

ohara831

• 1000+ posts
  • 5,430 posts
  • Joined 24-May 06

I understand O'Hara, and I bet Okafor does too. But between the PA announcer and Vincent the games are becoming unwatchable for me; I can't imagine what Okafor must be going through.

Agreed! I think he would find it very reieving to get some quality help on the front line. On the Thread about Trading for a Big, so interesting talk about Seattle and Wilcox. What do you think?

#12 Keetch Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:35 AM

Keetch

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,147 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06
I think I'd like to see them play Davidson more :) (or even "at all") and I'm happy that Hollins is back; though he looked very raw last night.
Rollin' in Doh

#13 ohara831 Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:07 AM

ohara831

• 1000+ posts
  • 5,430 posts
  • Joined 24-May 06
Yeah. I honestly think either Hollins or Primoz has to go, most likely Primoz. Having 2 guys of such limited ability on the roster is just plain bad management. One as a back up is fine. Neither deserves to start.

I do like Jermareo. He does get in foul trouble, but so do all Rookies. I love his short range jumper and his agressiveness on Defense. He is a solid back up for sure.

#14 Muttley Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:37 PM

Muttley

The Mean Machine 00

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,662 posts
  • Joined 22-June 07

This quote from today's Charlotte Observer also suggests that some of his perimeter guys are questioning his authoritah.

Vincent had told his shooters they were taking too many long balls.

"But we're open!" Vincent recalled of his shooters' reply.

"There's a reason you're open," Vincent said. "

Wow. That's funny AND true. Good for Sammy.

#15 Dunk Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:52 PM

Dunk

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Joined 29-June 07
I gotta go with Coach on this. If you've lost 7 in a row and the players aren't working hard, you get in their fae and bust them at practice. They follow the rules. If you can't get their respect then you've lost them. That's how it gotta work.

I think after Miami when some of the players were out on the town and didn't show up (playing wise) for the game, soemthing had to be done.
\

#16 WvsMC Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:06 PM

WvsMC

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Members
  • 1,884 posts
  • Joined 04-February 11
Yea, make the players earn their days off.

#17 MattD Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:58 PM

MattD

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,072 posts
  • Joined 21-October 07

I gotta go with Coach on this. If you've lost 7 in a row and the players aren't working hard, you get in their fae and bust them at practice. They follow the rules. If you can't get their respect then you've lost them. That's how it gotta work.

I think after Miami when some of the players were out on the town and didn't show up (playing wise) for the game, soemthing had to be done.

call me wrong but I think busting players before a game is not the way to go; it doesnt make sense to make them feel it the next day when it counts the next day, when I played basketball we hated our coaches when the made us run tons of sprints and conditioning stuff the day before a game, it should be about execution, though that wasnt the nba

#18 dnbman Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:09 PM

dnbman

Existential Crisis Manager

• Moderators

• 6,405 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

call me wrong but I think busting players before a game is not the way to go; it doesnt make sense to make them feel it the next day when it counts the next day, when I played basketball we hated our coaches when the made us run tons of sprints and conditioning stuff the day before a game, it should be about execution, though that wasnt the nba

I tend to agree.

I guess because of the type of person I am, I'm not inclined to follow a leader that I don't trust. Most of the guys we have have been successful at every level of the game, being leaders on their teams with great coaches around them. If you're that type of player, it must be tough to fully believe in what you think is a flawed system. I guess the coaching staff has to do whatever they can to make the players conform if there's going to be a team. But, if you're drowing, you do what you can to stay floating. When I see our team on the floor, I see a lot of kicking and paddling, just trying to keep their heads above water. I'm not sure they're paying much attention to how they're supposed to be swimming.

The biggest question is: should they?

Last Member: Nick Batum Fan Club

Professional Self-Loather

#19 MattD Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:14 PM

MattD

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,072 posts
  • Joined 21-October 07
I think your right, for a young franchise, I dont know how great of an idea it was to bring in an unproven coach, and I have no idea about his leadership ability... I think that putting someone like larry brown into our system would have been a much better (and expensive) choice. Think about it, he still makes the players work their ass off, but he knows whats hes doing, hes proven, hes smart, and if he can lead a team of messed up players with egos like the 76ers and hell i give him credit for trying to do it with the knicks, then who knows what he could do with the bobcats.

#20 dnbman Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:18 PM

dnbman

Existential Crisis Manager

• Moderators

• 6,405 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

I think your right, for a young franchise, I dont know how great of an idea it was to bring in an unproven coach, and I have no idea about his leadership ability... I think that putting someone like larry brown into our system would have been a much better (and expensive) choice. Think about it, he still makes the players work their ass off, but he knows whats hes doing, hes proven, hes smart, and if he can lead a team of messed up players with egos like the 76ers and hell i give him credit for trying to do it with the knicks, then who knows what he could do with the bobcats.

Mmmm... I'll disagree with you about Brown. He has a track record of not being able to do much with young players. He's more the guy you bring in to take a group of veterans to the next level. Finding a coach for a situation is a tough call, as we need both a great xs and os coach and a guy who works well with youngsters.

Coach K?

Last Member: Nick Batum Fan Club

Professional Self-Loather

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sam vincent

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users