#1 Potato Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:27 PM

Potato

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts
  • Joined 03-May 12
WHAT??

My opinions about my sports teams are almost as bad as my sports teams.  Rap music fan.

Hornets

Panthers

San Diego Padres

Liverpool

USMNT

#2 Adam42R Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:36 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,572 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
Crazy time of day for that press release. Read that Rich Cho will assume his responsibilities and report directly to MJ. Might be simply that the roles had become or were always a bit redundant after bringing in Cho. Interesting regardless.
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#3 Mustachio Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:40 PM

Mustachio

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,356 posts
  • Joined 11-July 06

Interesting indeed.

Into the crevasse!

"Climb down Lemon, Climb down"Posted Image

#4 cltblkhscoach Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:45 PM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,313 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
Yeah saw it scroll across watching NBA TV just now....definitely wondering why the hell this broke now? Strange...

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#5 Potato Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:46 PM

Potato

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,194 posts
  • Joined 03-May 12
I'm just gonna miss saying #chiggins

My opinions about my sports teams are almost as bad as my sports teams.  Rap music fan.

Hornets

Panthers

San Diego Padres

Liverpool

USMNT

#6 Black Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:48 PM

Black

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,504 posts
  • Joined 10-June 09

wtf-animated.gif

In Cho I Trust

#7 Adam42R Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:49 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,572 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

Yeah saw it scroll across watching NBA TV just now....definitely wondering why the hell this broke now? Strange...

Could he be taking another job which is why they had to break it immediately? The announcement letter wasn't really that extensive so maybe this was something they had to go with quickly.
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#8 Black Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:03 AM

Black

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,504 posts
  • Joined 10-June 09

I was just about to go to sleep, and now I feel like I'm all jacked up on Mountain Dew!

I need to know what caused this before I can rest, and I know we aren't getting shit for info any time soon.  Please let there be some rational cause for this. 

In Cho I Trust

#9 Black Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:14 AM

Black

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,504 posts
  • Joined 10-June 09

Cho assumes Higgins' role.  Full press release here:

June 13, 2014 – The Charlotte Hornets today announced that Rod Higgins has stepped down as the team’s President of Basketball Operations, effective immediately.

“I would like to thank Rod for his seven years of dedication to this organization,” said Charlotte Hornets Chairman Michael Jordan. “Rod has been a consummate professional throughout his time with the team. Thanks to his hard work and commitment, we have an improved roster and we are poised for success in the future. Rod was of great help to me as I navigated my first four years as majority owner of this franchise. I wish him all the best.”

Rich Cho will remain in his capacity as General Manager and assume responsibility for the team’s basketball operations. He will report to Jordan and Vice Chairman Curtis Polk.

http://www.nba.com/h...zational-change

In Cho I Trust

#10 Mich_Mercer Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:34 AM

Mich_Mercer

Keep Monk and MKG

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,851 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC
This came out of nowhere. At least we won't have to worry about Cory Higgins playing for us anymore though. Ha

#11 Maal Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:36 AM

Maal

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Joined 15-March 09
  • LocationCharlotte
I could cry tears of joy right now.... Damn, this whole Hornets thing has really been good to us so far... How the hell am I gonna sleep tonight?

#12 ammofan Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:39 AM

ammofan

• 1000+ posts
  • 4,028 posts
  • Joined 31-December 06

Not sure whether I should be completely happy or not....just kinda like....uh okay so why did this happen? What now?

#13 InProblematique Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:46 AM

InProblematique

Al's Questionable Shots Gave Me a Hangover

• Honorary Beagle

• 4,892 posts
  • Joined 05-June 13
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

I could cry tears of joy right now.... Damn, this whole Hornets thing has really been good to us so far... How the hell am I gonna sleep tonight?

...by reminding yourself that Higgins was really there in name only and didn't do a fucking thing. Cho's been running the show since he came here, Higgins was like a person's tonsils...pointless and often surgically removed without anything changing.

I understand the relative excitement of him stepping down because of how horrible he was when he was running the show, but he simply wasn't doing anything anymore, and everyone knows that. 

Six Words/PP11

Posted Image

#14 adam187 Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:55 AM

adam187

The Chotorious B.I.G.

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,331 posts
  • Joined 25-August 10

i thought he had been doing fine in his new role, basically the guy who talks to the media so cho doesn't have to deal with it.

he's been jordan's right hand man for so long. a falling out with MJ is the only thing i can think that would cause this.

#15 Dcarnys Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:14 AM

Dcarnys

Kemba Walker Texas Ranger. Coming soon on FOX.

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,141 posts
  • Joined 01-April 09
The hell? What bought this about? And it's a very strange time to announce it.

NCBobcatsFlag.png

"San Antonio is the fastest growing city in the United States, but it's only because of Boris Diaw!"

-Dan LeBatard

Get at me on twitter @dcarnys

#16 justin credible Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:28 AM

justin credible

Jeff "Sure I'll Start" McInnis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Joined 02-June 13
Remember last draft when cho was high on zeller but bonnels press release stated there was disagreement within the organization. I wonder if there was friction between cho and higgins

#17 kitch0202 Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:16 AM

kitch0202

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • Joined 22-December 11
  • LocationLondon, England.
The only part of this that's surprising is the timing. Higgins has always come across to me as lacking the necessary intelligence to fulfil his role. I can't see how this is anything other than addition by subtraction.

"If we didn't have usernames, you would probably get in an argument with yourself" adam187

"The only time wasting delusion is engaging you with conversation on this website.  but I'm free till lunch biatch so lets roll." Mustachio

#18 Chef Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:09 AM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,845 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

bonnell's tweets about it:

Rod Higgins is out as the top executive for the Hornets. So bizarre 2 weeks before the draft I thought it was a prank.

To say this is bizarre would be an understatement.

Two weeks before the draft the Hornets canned their top player-personnel guy, Some would say that's bizarre: http://blogs.charlotte.com/inside_the_nba/2014/06/charlotte-hornets-can-rod-higgins-two-weeks-before-the-draft.html 

Rick Bonnell ‏@rick_bonnell  3h

Hey, everyone in the NBA sends a press release at 12:22 a.m., saying the head of basketball operations is out.

It's incredible how badly the Hornets screwed up tonight. At the exact moment they were gaining momentum, they act dysfunctional.

FWIW: Rod Higgins got mocked in Charlotte, and that was BS. He pushed for Jefferson and Sessions. Smart guy,

Holding out hope that Mike sells.

#19 Chef Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:13 AM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,845 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

i think it can really only come down to 1 of 3 things:

1. he found another job (doubt it)

2. he has some personal issue like cancer or extreme family turmoil that he can't keep doing his job but doesn't want it out there (maybe)

3. he and cho have trouble getting along especially around team direction and draft picks and he is getting old and just doesn't want to fight about it anymore so he is stepping down because he is so close to MJ (probably)

Holding out hope that Mike sells.

#20 Scottley Crue Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:01 AM

Scottley Crue

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,588 posts
  • Joined 06-January 14
Just so odd with the timing...as in so close to the draft and literally in the middle of the night. I guess they didn't want rumors running around so they broke it ASAP? Not the best look as far as announcements go, but we'll see how it goes. I have found it interesting that we've only had one player worthy of the 9th pick in to workout so far. Maybe a big disagreement as to the direction of the franchise?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users