#21 BlockParty Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:14 AM

BlockParty

Cho > the field

• 1000+ posts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts
  • Joined 05-May 08

POPULAR

Could be as simple as his 3 year guaranteed (my assumption) contract from Cho's hire has finally run out.  Cho was hired 6/14/2011.  

#22 TCAP915 Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:27 AM

TCAP915

Dominic "Who the **** is that" McGuire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined 12-November 08

It's simple.  Cho wanted McBuckets and Higgins wanted Stauskas.   Higgins got the boot.

#23 spectre Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:30 AM

spectre

For Rent

• Moderators

• 10,491 posts
  • Joined 14-February 07

Could be as simple as his 3 year guaranteed (my assumption) contract from Cho's hire has finally run out.  Cho was hired 6/14/2011.  

Helluva find BP.  How coincidental is that?  Almost 3 years to the day.

LMAO at Bonnell using "canned".  He's probably thinking that at least he could get a snippet or two from Higgins...Cho probably won't even talk to him.

I think this is a loss in regards to the FO talking to the media.  From all accounts (and from what we've observed) Cho just isn't comfortable in front of the cameras.

A simple solution would be to use that Erin girl more...or promote Steph.

Hope Resurrected: "I think I can bring an attitude to a team as far as, All right, no matter what, we are not losing this game'." - Kemba Walker

"Its okay to be bad; just so long as you're bad ass." - Keetch

"I don't care if he uses a sophisticated pulley and tackle system to get his shot off if the bitch goes in.
"-Mustachio

"I'm a Pistons fan now. The Hornets are boring and I hate 3/4s of the players."  Brother Dave on 3/11/16.

#24 ziggy Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:46 AM

ziggy

Administrator

• Administrators

• 13,399 posts
  • Joined 05-January 06

Could be as simple as his 3 year guaranteed (my assumption) contract from Cho's hire has finally run out. Cho was hired 6/14/2011.

Glad to see you come out of hiding BP!

#25 JGib23 Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:49 AM

JGib23

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,676 posts
  • Joined 27-October 08

This is so odd... I mean this isn't a normal firing or parting of the ways.

Its Rod F'n Higgins... That's MJ's wing man.

This has to go beyond basketball and basketball decisions. The timing is insane both in the middle of the night and 2 weeks before the draft.

Why not hold onto him for just 2 more weeks and get through the draft... Now every team is going to call Rod and find out what the Hornets draft board looks like. It's good that Cho never let him see the actual draft board.

#26 WAM9 Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:58 AM

WAM9

Big Al's Paint

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,171 posts
  • Joined 10-July 07

If anyone thinks that Higgins was running anything, and it sounds like Bonnell does, then they just aren't paying attention. 

Higgins is the perfect definition of a "yes man" for Jordan and regardless of Bonnell saying that he is our best player personnel person, he is not.

Cho is clearly running the show and everyone knows it. Those of us who have been paying attention knew this well before today.

I definitely think BP is onto something with the 3 year from Cho hiring thing!

In Cho I Trust!

#27 ziggy Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:03 AM

ziggy

Administrator

• Administrators

• 13,399 posts
  • Joined 05-January 06
I wonder if Rod was trying to work some deals without Cho's approval.

#28 Mustachio Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:20 AM

Mustachio

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,356 posts
  • Joined 11-July 06

I like how people pretend they know one single thing that Cho or Higgins did in the front office.   We have no idea who did what in that front office, and pretending like you know who was pulling the strings is silly.  

All I can tell you (and all you know) is that under Chiggins, the Hornets were on the rise.   Now half of that team is gone.    

Into the crevasse!

"Climb down Lemon, Climb down"Posted Image

#29 @JPlowright_NBA Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:20 AM

@JPlowright_NBA

Anthony "Dagger Three" Tolliver

• Honorary Beagle

• 5,048 posts
  • Joined 12-August 10
  • LocationManchester, United Kingdom

1) Timing is weird as hell, with all the interviews on Hornets.com, the talk about the future, the Hornets re-brand, The draft, whatever has happened escalated quickly.

2) Regardless what you thought of Higgins, this isn't the sign of a stable organisation, random/odd moves like this are often the start of a catalogue of miscalculated decisions

3) We all have to consider there could have been a major disagreement in the front office, the fact that MJ seems to have sided with Cho should fill people with hope that the time of nepotism in Charlotte is over

Passionate English basketball journalist, for thought provoking tweets about your Hornets follow me here:- @JPlowright_NBA

I Cover the Hornets for ESPN True Hoop site Queen City Hoops, Founder of TheLotteryMafia.com

#30 Swedd523 Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:37 AM

Swedd523

• Moderators

• 9,703 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

I like how people pretend they know one single thing that Cho or Higgins did in the front office.   We have no idea who did what in that front office, and pretending like you know who was pulling the strings is silly.  

All I can tell you (and all you know) is that under Chiggins, the Hornets were on the rise.   Now half of that team is gone.    

There has been so much of this recently

#31 ohara831 Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:37 AM

ohara831

• 1000+ posts
  • 5,430 posts
  • Joined 24-May 06

I thank Rod for his service to the organization.  But I am happy he is gone.  No second guessing now about who wants what and who is pushing for what.  This is now  all about MJ and Cho.  Whatever we do trade wise, FA wise or draft wise, we know fully now who to credit or blame.

#32 @JPlowright_NBA Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:40 AM

@JPlowright_NBA

Anthony "Dagger Three" Tolliver

• Honorary Beagle

• 5,048 posts
  • Joined 12-August 10
  • LocationManchester, United Kingdom

I thank Rod for his service to the organization.  But I am happy he is gone.  No second guessing now about who wants what and who is pushing for what.  This is now  all about MJ and Cho.  Whatever we do trade wise, FA wise or draft wise, we know fully now who to credit or blame.

Fred Whitfield?

Passionate English basketball journalist, for thought provoking tweets about your Hornets follow me here:- @JPlowright_NBA

I Cover the Hornets for ESPN True Hoop site Queen City Hoops, Founder of TheLotteryMafia.com

#33 CarolinaBlue23 Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:17 AM

CarolinaBlue23

Primoz "Gangsta" Brezec

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Joined 18-March 10

I have no clue what is behind all this so I will wait & see how things play out. 

#34 Mr. 1020 Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:24 AM

Mr. 1020

Jeff "Sure I'll Start" McInnis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Joined 29-December 11

Thank you for this! All this speculation and know one knows. Whatever happened, it happened. Who cares why? For years most of the people on here have trashed him anyway so why does it matter why he's gone. Executive being let go or stepping down happens all the time.

For Bonnell to act as if all the positivity surrounding the organization suddenly stops is idiotic. Half (or more) of the new Hornets fans don't even know who he is anyway. I think some people just like to make controversy out of stuff. 

#35 WAM9 Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:29 AM

WAM9

Big Al's Paint

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,171 posts
  • Joined 10-July 07

Disagree with a couple things here Mustachio.

1st, while it is true that we don't know exactly what is happening behind the curtain, we can certainly look at results. Higgins had very poor results prior to the arrival of Cho. Once Cho arrived, things started to move forward. Is this coincidence?

2nd - Your statement of "half of that team is gone" insinuates that Cho and Higgins were the only guys responsible for our team's success. I would accept that a "part" of that team is gone but to suggest that somehow Higgins is responsible for half of our team's success is not something I agree with at all. I credit our scouts, coaches, research guys, number crunchers and oh yeah, Michael Jordan with a lot of the credit.

Do you really believe that Higgins is the reason for our turn around? Jordan clearly doesn't believe that.

In Cho I Trust!

#36 Felton for Prez Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:35 AM

Felton for Prez

Captain Jack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • Joined 07-October 08

A post-midnight cryptic press release after an NBA finals game.  They are hoping no one notices and based on the espn.com/nba, nationally no one has.  Whether or not it was the right choice (it was), the right time (2 weeks pre-draft?  it wasn't) this looks bush league.  I'd feel better about it as a professional organization if they announced it at 8pm or 9am or almost any other time.  This doesn't look as bad as our coaching carousel but its in the same neighborhood.

#37 Mustachio Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:46 AM

Mustachio

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,356 posts
  • Joined 11-July 06

Disagree with a couple things here Mustachio.

1st, while it is true that we don't know exactly what is happening behind the curtain, we can certainly look at results. Higgins had very poor results prior to the arrival of Cho. Once Cho arrived, things started to move forward. Is this coincidence?

2nd - Your statement of "half of that team is gone" insinuates that Cho and Higgins were the only guys responsible for our team's success. I would accept that a "part" of that team is gone but to suggest that somehow Higgins is responsible for half of our team's success is not something I agree with at all. I credit our scouts, coaches, research guys, number crunchers and oh yeah, Michael Jordan with a lot of the credit.

Do you really believe that Higgins is the reason for our turn around? Jordan clearly doesn't believe that.

My only point is that we have a very limited knowledge of what actually goes on in there.  Part because they are tight lipped, and part because we have a pretty non existent media presence.   I think people have gotten this cartoonish idea that Higgins sat around in a cage playing with a yo-yo all day while Cho built this franchise from the ground up.    Higgins was GM for 4 years, 1 playoff appearance, no wins.   Cho has been GM for 4 years, 1 playoff appearance, no wins.  

I have no idea what Jordan thinks of them or why this happened, simply because they haven't informed us.   People assume incompetence with very little facts, when it could be anything from a disease to he just simply didn't want to be a GM anymore.  

Into the crevasse!

"Climb down Lemon, Climb down"Posted Image

#38 tom v Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:46 AM

tom v

Primoz "Gangsta" Brezec

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Joined 28-June 12

I feel pretty good about this.  I don't think it shows an unstable organization.  The organization always looked a little weird to me since it had two people (Higgins and Cho) in undefined positions that would usually be occupied by only one person.

It looks like MJ has confidence in Cho and is giving him the spot publicly.  That's a good thing.  I haven't been a fan of Cho's draft choices, but I am a fan of his processes.  When you both make the playoffs and have a top ten pick in the draft, that's a clear sign that you have a GM that knows what he's doing.

#39 adam187 Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:57 AM

adam187

The Chotorious B.I.G.

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,331 posts
  • Joined 25-August 10

if you go back and think about all the terrible moves HIggins spearheaded it makes you feel a lot better:

Dampier/Matty Ice/Eddie the Machete for Tyson Chandler - this trade literally swung an NBA championship while the Cats took a salary dump that actually added more long term money. Absolutely insane.

The Diop trade, taking on that salary albatross hampered the franchise for years.

The Tyrus Thomas trade and re-signing. Ugh.

A string of horrible draft picks.

Corey Higgins on the roster.

I think as recently as a year ago, hearing Higgins got ousted would have been perfectly fine with me.

#40 Black Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:59 AM

Black

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,504 posts
  • Joined 10-June 09

I wonder if Rod was trying to work some deals without Cho's approval.

I remember Bonnell Tweeting a while back that Cho was more involved with college scouting than he was with making moves within the league.  Perhaps this is just a way to consolidate power under one man. 

In Cho I Trust

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users