#1 Adam42R Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:37 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,572 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

POPULAR

I realize not everyone agrees with what I view as nice craftwork by Cho last night but.... We got a guy that David Aldridge was saying, with Embiid's injury, was a top four talent, an overall number one pick in any other draft, for Corey Maggette.

And I personally just love what he did with the Napier deal. Puts money in our pocket, makes our cap hit smaller and Miami's bigger, gives us a future second round pick that could honesty be decent when it rolls in. Then takes a second round pick that we're ok without and unloads cap space in BWood's contract. Wow, just freaking wow.

Cannot wait to see what we can do in free agency!

And hats off to Jordan and Polk, masterful job with the rebranding and personnel management.
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#2 justin credible Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:04 PM

justin credible

Jeff "Sure I'll Start" McInnis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Joined 02-June 13
I wonder what higgins would have come up with

#3 WAM9 Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:20 PM

WAM9

Big Al's Paint

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,171 posts
  • Joined 10-July 07

Agree 100% Adam42R!

In Cho I Trust!

#4 Talent Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:36 PM

Talent

Captain Jack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Joined 04-December 09
  • LocationVirginia

I think he did well. I liked this draft and think it did well to load the team up with needs. I think we have a team with talent and potential. Something many teams have struggle to achieve.

#5 Mich_Mercer Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:38 PM

Mich_Mercer

Keep Monk and MKG

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,851 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC
It's like I was picking these players. He picked exactly who I would have! That never happens!! Great job Cho!!

#6 Scrapper1 Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:33 PM

Scrapper1

Sean May... Krispy-Kreme MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Joined 03-June 12
Yes, I agree. Vonleh is gonna be a star
" It's rare i listen to people who never been in my position, a caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions"

#7 Demon DeaCat Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:53 PM

Demon DeaCat

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • Joined 17-April 09

I have to say, prior to now the jury was still out on Cho as far as I was concerned, but no question, he absolutely nailed this draft. He played his hand perfectly.

#8 Bogg Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:56 AM

Bogg

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,330 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12

Then takes a second round pick that we're ok without and unloads cap space in BWood's contract. Wow, just freaking wow.

I actually don't love that move - Haywood is going to be a very valuable trade chip next summer and dumping him now only opens up about 1.5 million in cap space this summer. The only sense I can make of it is that they're still planning on giving McRoberts a decent-sized contract and looking make a major signing in free agency in the form of Deng or (with Hairston on board, hopefully not) Lance Stephenson and need every last bit of money they can get right now

#9 kitch0202 Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:26 AM

kitch0202

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • Joined 22-December 11
  • LocationLondon, England.

I actually don't love that move - Haywood is going to be a very valuable trade chip next summer and dumping him now only opens up about 1.5 million in cap space this summer. The only sense I can make of it is that they're still planning on giving McRoberts a decent-sized contract and looking make a major signing in free agency in the form of Deng or (with Hairston on board, hopefully not) Lance Stephenson and need every last bit of money they can get right now.

I'm with you here Bogg. Sense can only be made of the move if we are targeting a starting calibre player, in addition to McRoberts. Otherwise we got poor value.

"If we didn't have usernames, you would probably get in an argument with yourself" adam187

"The only time wasting delusion is engaging you with conversation on this website.  but I'm free till lunch biatch so lets roll." Mustachio

#10 WAM9 Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:26 AM

WAM9

Big Al's Paint

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,171 posts
  • Joined 10-July 07

I actually don't love that move - Haywood is going to be a very valuable trade chip next summer and dumping him now only opens up about 1.5 million in cap space this summer. The only sense I can make of it is that they're still planning on giving McRoberts a decent-sized contract and looking make a major signing in free agency in the form of Deng or (with Hairston on board, hopefully not) Lance Stephenson and need every last bit of money they can get right now

Remember the great dust chip of the past...it ended up being worth nothing. 

I will take a bird in the hand right now instead of waiting another season with Haywood taking up a roster spot and doing nothing and maybe being worth something or maybe being worth nothing.

Why does it only open up $1.5 million? He is on the books at $2M.

In Cho I Trust!

#11 Bogg Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:43 AM

Bogg

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,330 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12

Remember the great dust chip of the past...it ended up being worth nothing. 

I will take a bird in the hand right now instead of waiting another season with Haywood taking up a roster spot and doing nothing and maybe being worth something or maybe being worth nothing.

Why does it only open up $1.5 million? He is on the books at $2M.

Given that Tyson Chandler went on to be the defensive linchpin that Dallas needed to win a championship and win the DPOY the following year, I don't understand how you figure that Dallas got nothing for Dampier. It only opens up $1.5 million because there's a cap hold for the minimum salary for every empty roster space. Dumping Haywood takes his $2 million salary off the books, but the empty roster space is "charged" about a half-million when doing the cap space math. 

#12 WAM9 Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:55 AM

WAM9

Big Al's Paint

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,171 posts
  • Joined 10-July 07

But if we use that spot, the cap hold comes off so it is an actual $2M when it is used, correct?

I was saying that the dust chip got US nothing...Dallas made out like thieves.

In Cho I Trust!

#13 Bogg Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:18 AM

Bogg

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,330 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12

But if we use that spot, the cap hold comes off so it is an actual $2M when it is used, correct?

Eh, not really. There's the cap hold for every player you have on the roster under 12 players. Right now, between the guaranteed contracts on the roster and the rookies that were just drafted, the team has 9 guys under contract. Bringing back McRoberts and picking up Taylor's option makes it 11. You still have one roster spot being charged a cap hold which would have been taken up by Haywood, so the amount that you can offer a big free agent is only increased by $1.5 million. The hold goes away after you sign the 12th player, not when you offer him a contract, as I understand it. 

I was saying that the dust chip got US nothing...Dallas made out like thieves.

Well that's on the front office. "Dallas got a fantastic player but we got nothing" isn't really an indictment of the value of a large non-guaranteed contract, it's the decision the front office made to take the financial savings over pursuing an actual player. 

#14 adam187 Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:39 AM

adam187

The Chotorious B.I.G.

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,331 posts
  • Joined 25-August 10

bogg, what you're saying makes sense, we'll have to see what cleveland can do with it in a year. cap space is always valuable, although its value seems to be diminishing somewhat with the new cba.

you have to assume that the front office decided that they can sign a guy better than what they could trade for. i hope they are right. cleveland (probably correctly) assumes they can trade for someone better than they can sign.

i dunno how much he was around the team, but i always liked the idea of brendan haywood as a pro voice in the locker room.

#15 Bogg Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:18 PM

Bogg

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,330 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12

bogg, what you're saying makes sense, we'll have to see what cleveland can do with it in a year. cap space is always valuable, although its value seems to be diminishing somewhat with the new cba.

you have to assume that the front office decided that they can sign a guy better than what they could trade for. i hope they are right. cleveland (probably correctly) assumes they can trade for someone better than they can sign.

i dunno how much he was around the team, but i always liked the idea of brendan haywood as a pro voice in the locker room.

Yea, I mean, it depends on what they do with that little bit of extra cap space this summer. If it's the difference between a major addition and getting slightly outbid, then fine. However, if they're left (relatively) empty-handed in free agency then it seems like losing a future asset for nothing. It is what it is, they're obviously playing their hand now to take advantage of the East while it's in a down cycle and I get that, just think there's a potentially big downside to this move if it doesn't work out. 

#16 Double_Trouble_1 Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:33 PM

Double_Trouble_1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 28-June 14
I believe we will have 10 players not 9, once we the trade with Cleveland is finalized. The Hornets will trade Haywood and Powell for Gee; therefore, we will have 10 instead of 9.

#17 Bogg Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:41 PM

Bogg

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,330 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12

Once we make the Cleveland trade I believe we will have 10 players not 9. The Hornets will trade Haywood and Powell for Gee; therefore, we will have 10 instead of nine.

Al, Zeller, Biz, Kemba, Hendo, MKG, and Neal make 7. Vonleh and Hairston make 9. Picking up Jeff Taylor's team option would make 10, and bringing back McRoberts would make 11. 

EDIT: What I didn't consider was bringing back CDR. If they were 100% going to offer him a contract regardless of how anything else plays out then that would make 12 and the Haywood deal does save $2 million. However, I don't know that it make sense to draft Hairston, pick up Taylor's option, re-sign CDR, and then go chase a swingman in free agency when you already have 3 guys on the roster. Do you really need 7 swingmen?

DOUBLE EDIT: I suppose we should let trade season play out before having this conversation anyway, since this roster is ripe for a consolidation trade. 

#18 Double_Trouble_1 Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:54 PM

Double_Trouble_1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 28-June 14
With your updated scenario we would have 12 (excluding CDR). Gee under contract makes 12 when the trade with Cleveland is finalized.

Here a link to the trade details: http://fansided.com/...nzo-gee/#!5nYq2

#19 InProblematique Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:56 PM

InProblematique

Al's Questionable Shots Gave Me a Hangover

• Honorary Beagle

• 4,892 posts
  • Joined 05-June 13
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Meh, I'm okay with giving up Haywood. Like Wam said, could be worth something next year, could be worth nothing...Cho made the shrewd move to make sure we got something in the form of cap space. And it's not like we have to spend all of that money this year. Put some in the bank for Kemba and Al.  I realize that Haywood would have been off the books after next year anyway, but still. 2 million bucks and an open roster spot where we get to experiment with our bigs as a third center...both Vonleh and Zeller could see time there. So I understand your argument bogg, and I agree with it a bit...but one bird in the hand, two in the bush, I guess.

Otherwise, yeah...the draft was a total grand slam. Vonleh would have probably been the consensus first pick last year (and I doubt it would have been close), and as you said, probably a top 3 or so player in any other draft. I know I'm saying this VERY early, and please don't hold me to it, because I certainly haven't done enough scouting on the HS players or international prospects that will be available in next year's draft, but so far it looks pretty lukewarm. Okafor looks pretty solid, but after that...well...this draft just kind of overshadows every other one around it, doesn't it? I think if Vonleh had decided to stay at IU one more year, he probably would be the early favorite for that top spot over Okafor, because Vonleh is still developing a lot.

Then again, Vonleh was constantly doubled and tripled, since he was really the only guy at IU who could put the ball into the net with any real efficiency. And as great as Creen has been for the IU basketball program, I don't think him or his staff really know how to develop bigs for the NBA. They basically wouldn't let Zeller shoot, and Zeller didn't make strides between freshman and sophomore season, indicating lack of solid developmental coaching, because we all saw how much better Cody became after the all-star break with good coaching and constant hard work. So Vonleh coming out now could probably be considered a really good move for him, and it obviously worked out well for us.

P.J. would've been a top 10 pick, and probably the highest valued SG in this draft if not for the drama. So yeah, we got two huge steals who are coming into great situations with a great coaching staff, great teammates, the excitement of the rebrand, and a rejuvenated city that is going to root them on big time. The draft party reactions this year vs. last could not have been anymore different. Boos to Zeller, and jubilation for Vonleh.

Once we make the Cleveland trade I believe we will have 10 players not 9. The Hornets will trade Haywood and Powell for Gee; therefore, we will have 10 instead of nine.

Assuming we pick up JT's option and decline Gee's contract, 10 is correct. We're gonna need another SF (CDR or Tolliver maybe, but I'm one of the guys pushing hard for Deng), a couple of back-up PGs, and maybe one or two more bigs. I honestly think (and this is me being serious, because it makes a lot of sense) bringing Adrien back on for about a 500k/year deal would be a great move. I'd probably go as high as a little over one mil for him. He's insanely effective when he plays, and is a huge hype man, even when he goes long stretches without playing. The fact he can play PF and C, and the obviousness of him wanting to come back (working out in Charlotte with his best friends Kemba and MKG) would make sense, unless we fall in love with an undrafted rookie in summer league (KHEM BIRCH!).

Six Words/PP11

Posted Image

#20 InProblematique Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:03 PM

InProblematique

Al's Questionable Shots Gave Me a Hangover

• Honorary Beagle

• 4,892 posts
  • Joined 05-June 13
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

With your updated scenario we would have 12 (excluding CDR). Gee under contract makes 12 when the trade with Cleveland is finalized.

Here a link to the trade details: http://fansided.com/...nzo-gee/#!5nYq2

I don't think there's a chance in hell we keep Gee. His contract isn't guaranteed, and it's at 4.5 million for an extremely subpar SG. 

You and Bogg add CDR and McBob, but that doesn't make sense to me. They could easily get paid by someone looking for guys like them. Though, I think the market for a point forward is now a little more saturated since the Spurs picked up Slo-Mo and probably won't be all that aggressive to sign Diaw again. But CDR really turned it up at times last year, and there are teams that noticed, so neither one of them are locks to come back. Not even close. So I don't see the point in including them in our roster count yet. They're both UFAs.

Once Gee's contract is declined, we have the exclusive rights to 10, and 10 only.

Six Words/PP11

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users