1257 replies to this topic

#1 ziggy Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:29 AM

ziggy

Administrator

• Administrators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,367 posts
  • Joined 05-January 06

Tuesday July 1st things are going to get real interesting.

Let's use this thread for an Hornets and Non-Hornets related Free agency news and rumors that we come across over the next few weeks.

For starters, I think the Chandler Parsons situation is the most promising. If the Hornets can get in there early with a sizable offer while the Houston Rockets are throwing buckets of money at Lebron then I think we have a good chance of getting him.

I have a feeling that the Free Agency period this year is going to be almost as entertaining as draft week.

Let the fun begin!

Help support HornetsPlanet by using our affiliate link for your Amazon shopping needs!

#2 Bogg Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:34 AM

Bogg

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,234 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12

I really, really don't think that Parsons is going anywhere. He wants to be in Houston, Houston wants to keep him, and they said they're going to match whatever offer he gets. I wouldn't even be surprised if Parsons is in cahoots with Morey and agreed not to sign an offer sheet and blow up the Rockets offseason in exchange for a massive contract after Morey finishes up everything else he's going to do. 

#3 Mich_Mercer Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:43 AM

Mich_Mercer

Jeff "Sure I'll Start" McInnis

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,208 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC
I could be the only one that really doesn't want to throw money at Parsons. I don't think he'd be worth it, for what he would cost.

#4 Potato Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:51 AM

Potato

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,059 posts
  • Joined 03-May 12

I could be the only one that really doesn't want to throw money at Parsons. I don't think he'd be worth it, for what he would cost.

agreed

My opinions about my sports teams are almost as bad as my sports teams.  Rap music fan.

Hornets

Panthers

San Diego Padres

Liverpool

USMNT

#5 adam187 Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:55 AM

adam187

The Chotorious B.I.G.

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,331 posts
  • Joined 25-August 10

i assume if we're going after a big name we will hear about it on tuesday. we pursued jefferson hard and i imagine they will use the same strategy this year. if a couple of days go by and we don't hear anything, it might be safe to assume we are focusing on smaller moves.

#6 ammofan Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:12 PM

ammofan

Air Ammo

• 1000+ posts
  • 4,023 posts
  • Joined 31-December 06
I'd love to have Parsons but I doubt we can actually get him. And same goes for Hayward.

I LOVE Lance Stephenson so yes, I do want him.

I would be willing to package together Hendo/Biz for something.

#7 Bogg Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:54 PM

Bogg

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,234 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12

I'd love to have Parsons but I doubt we can actually get him. And same goes for Hayward.

I LOVE Lance Stephenson so yes, I do want him.

I would be willing to package together Hendo/Biz for something.

I'm officially off the Stephenson bandwagon now that Cho drafted Hairston. I don't think it's a good idea to encourage those two to hang out together. 

#8 Chef Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:14 PM

Chef

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,447 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

I really, really don't think that Parsons is going anywhere. He wants to be in Houston, Houston wants to keep him, and they said they're going to match whatever offer he gets. I wouldn't even be surprised if Parsons is in cahoots with Morey and agreed not to sign an offer sheet and blow up the Rockets offseason in exchange for a massive contract after Morey finishes up everything else he's going to do. 

yes, but a team offering an 8 figure deal would really throw a monkey wrench in the melo/bron idea.

#9 Black Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:16 PM

Black

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,503 posts
  • Joined 10-June 09

In Cho I Trust

#10 Bogg Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:20 PM

Bogg

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,234 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12

yes, but a team offering an 8 figure deal would really throw a monkey wrench in the melo/bron idea.

That's assuming that Parsons doesn't have a handshake agreement with Morey to play along and not blow the whole thing up by actually signing an offer sheet, which I quite honestly think is more likely than not. I mean, sure, a max contract offer might throw things off, but who really wants Parsons on a max deal? The kind of $36-44 million over 4 offers he's likely to get will be given to him by Houston after their free agency play is through. Personally, I'm hoping they strike out in free agency and resort to sending Lin to Boston packaged with that Pelicans pick they just got and a couple other late firsts or minor prospects. 

#11 spectre Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:27 PM

spectre

For Rent

• Moderators

• 10,477 posts
  • Joined 14-February 07

I think we give Deng the AlJeff FA treatment, sign him to a similar type of deal (hopefully less money) and then fill the holes with MLE type guys.

Hope Resurrected: "I think I can bring an attitude to a team as far as, All right, no matter what, we are not losing this game'." - Kemba Walker

"Its okay to be bad; just so long as you're bad ass." - Keetch

"I don't care if he uses a sophisticated pulley and tackle system to get his shot off if the bitch goes in.
"-Mustachio

"I'm a Pistons fan now. The Hornets are boring and I hate 3/4s of the players."  Brother Dave on 3/11/16.

#12 adam187 Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:18 PM

adam187

The Chotorious B.I.G.

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,331 posts
  • Joined 25-August 10

probably best to stay clear of this situation

#13 Adam42R Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:21 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 7,537 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
For me, I like my zany idea of Thabo. So my FA fantasy world looks like resigning Josh McRoberts (PF - figure this will cost $6-8mm), grabbing one of Livingston/Sessions (backup PG - figure this will cost $4-6mm), Thabo Sefolosha (G/F - figure this could happen for $4-6mm), Ish Smith/Brian Roberts (3rd PG - hope this could be for $1-1.5mm), and I'd like to bring back Adrien in exchange for sending Gary Neal away - assume Adrien can be had for $1-2mm. This would cost us in $16-23mm range and sending out $3mm and I think gives us a good amount of flexibility at every position. And I think it makes us really stout on defense while not hamstringing us on offense. BUT, I am guessing we probably have something much craftier and more dramatic up our sleeve and it probably will involve sending some assets (more than Neal) away for some larger marine mammal. And I'll be interested in what that is. In the meantime, this is my concoction.
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#14 Polar Hornet Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:30 PM

Polar Hornet

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,117 posts
  • Joined 29-March 11

I think we give Deng the AlJeff FA treatment, sign him to a similar type of deal (hopefully less money) and then fill the holes with MLE type guys.

I agree, though I hope he is plan B after Stephenson and Parsons.  The drafting of Hairston concerns me with his usage if we do get Stephenson, because Stephenson is young enough that if he pans out, would be our SG for the next 4-6 years.  Parsons makes more sense with our lineup and I feel like the money needed to get Deng would be similar.  Deng is the vet, but Parsons is young and fiery.  I also agree that whatever move we make will be swift and within the first day or two, like last year's quickness with Big Al.

...the poster formerly known as Polarcat.  Rebrand Complete.

#15 ziggy Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:43 PM

ziggy

Administrator

• Administrators

• 13,367 posts
  • Joined 05-January 06

I don't dislike Deng as a player, but when I watch him, I wonder if he is really worth the Al Jefferson treatment.

In your opinion, how good is Deng really?

Help support HornetsPlanet by using our affiliate link for your Amazon shopping needs!

#16 Swedd523 Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:59 PM

Swedd523

• Moderators

• 9,382 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

I don't dislike Deng as a player, but when I watch him, I wonder if he is really worth the Al Jefferson treatment.

He's declining quickly.  If we target him I hope it's just for the same length as Jeff's so they both expire at the same time and we can move on or make further assessment at that point.  I'd offer him a 2/16 deal and go from there.  If he wants more then no thanks

#17 kitch0202 Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:34 PM

kitch0202

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • Joined 22-December 11
  • LocationLondon, England.

I think he's a solid all-round player and a great locker room guy. He'd clearly start for us at SF and help bring MKG along.

He's declining quickly.  If we target him I hope it's just for the same length as Jeff's so they both expire at the same time and we can move on or make further assessment at that point.  I'd offer him a 2/16 deal and go from there.  If he wants more then no thanks

Agree on length and money. I think this type of player and this length of contract signal to MKG that we haven't given up on him as a long term starter, but recognise that he still has a lot to learn in the short term.

Deng would be a great guy to bring MKG along, while contributing sensible minutes (av. 28ish mins) that mean he can help us win in the short term, leave enough minutes for MKG to continue to grow and leave the door open for MKG to take the starting reins up in a couple of years.

"If we didn't have usernames, you would probably get in an argument with yourself" adam187

"The only time wasting delusion is engaging you with conversation on this website.  but I'm free till lunch biatch so lets roll." Mustachio

#18 @JPlowright_NBA Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:53 PM

@JPlowright_NBA

Anthony "Dagger Three" Tolliver

• Honorary Beagle

• 5,048 posts
  • Joined 12-August 10
  • LocationManchester, United Kingdom

Thabo Sefolosha (G/F - figure this could happen for $4-6mm),

I like Thabo as well but two thoughts:

1) I find his skills kind of redundant with Henderson on the roster, if we were to move Hendo Thabo could be a great pick up

2) We don't need to pay 4-6 million, nobody lost themselves more money this season and playoffs this year than Thabo, I think the 2.5-4 range is much more likely

Passionate English basketball journalist, for thought provoking tweets about your Hornets follow me here:- @JPlowright_NBA

I Cover the Hornets for ESPN True Hoop site Queen City Hoops, Founder of TheLotteryMafia.com

#19 Adam42R Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:19 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 7,537 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

I like Thabo as well but two thoughts:

1) I find his skills kind of redundant with Henderson on the roster, if we were to move Hendo Thabo could be a great pick up

2) We don't need to pay 4-6 million, nobody lost themselves more money this season and playoffs this year than Thabo, I think the 2.5-4 range is much more likely

I am glad to hear he could be had for less, I didn't think that he's redundant to Junior but saw him as another forward guard that could bring it defensively and make teams respect his 3pt shot. Even if he's not a volume shooter from there he's much more volume than Gerald.
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#20 TheBeagle Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:41 PM

TheBeagle

Hoedown Hugo

• 1000+ posts
  • 4,211 posts
  • Joined 06-June 07
  • LocationCommunity of Arcadia, NC

I'm officially off the Stephenson bandwagon now that Cho drafted Hairston. I don't think it's a good idea to encourage those two to hang out together. 

Favorite Bogg post ever!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: free agency

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users