278 replies to this topic

#121 WCBobcat Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:41 PM

WCBobcat

Jeff "Sure I'll Start" McInnis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Joined 14-November 12

This theory may be totally flawed - simply because I really don't know what he's like in the locker room - but I think Lance is just a goofy guy that likes playing head games.  Loves the game within the game.  The fact that doesn't smile a lot and isn't necessarily jovial helps perpetuate this tough guy/behavior issue image that the media reinforces. 

I think he just looks tough and does occasional stupid/immature stuff on the court.  

But you can't question his ability to hit a big shot and his competitiveness.  A lot of lesser players have backed down to moments with Lebron - whereas Lance seems to embrace it.  I want that guy.  I want someone to make love to the pressure.  If he occasionally blows in somebody's ear and pelvic thrusts after a 3?  I could care less.   Get in their heads and let's win the game too. 

Now...if he also plays mind games with teammates, and the pelvic thrusts extend into the lockerroom - we may have a problem.   I want him to buy in to what Al was sold by Clifford.  I really think he will - but he's going to continue being goofy.  I just hope we don't confuse goofiness with behavioral issues.  They aren't the same.   Just because we aren't in on his joke doesn't mean there's something wrong with him.  (Ron Artest pushes this to the ultimate limit - where I actually would say there may be something wrong with him)

We'll see what happens.  I can feel the momentum building in fan support and hope we take pride in the team.  Charlotte can be a hell of a loyal fanbase, and also a bitter one.

#122 Aircat Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:48 PM

Aircat

Sean May... Krispy-Kreme MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Joined 11-December 12
Well, maybe Lance didn't want to be the Pippen to Paul George's MJ.

He basically pulled a T-Mac. Maybe..

#123 Bogg Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:08 PM

Bogg

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,330 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12

This theory may be totally flawed - simply because I really don't know what he's like in the locker room - but I think Lance is just a goofy guy that likes playing head games.  Loves the game within the game.  The fact that doesn't smile a lot and isn't necessarily jovial helps perpetuate this tough guy/behavior issue image that the media reinforces. 

I think he just looks tough and does occasional stupid/immature stuff on the court.  

But you can't question his ability to hit a big shot and his competitiveness.  A lot of lesser players have backed down to moments with Lebron - whereas Lance seems to embrace it.  I want that guy.  I want someone to make love to the pressure.  If he occasionally blows in somebody's ear and pelvic thrusts after a 3?  I could care less.   Get in their heads and let's win the game too. 

Now...if he also plays mind games with teammates, and the pelvic thrusts extend into the lockerroom - we may have a problem.   I want him to buy in to what Al was sold by Clifford.  I really think he will - but he's going to continue being goofy.  I just hope we don't confuse goofiness with behavioral issues.  They aren't the same.   Just because we aren't in on his joke doesn't mean there's something wrong with him.  (Ron Artest pushes this to the ultimate limit - where I actually would say there may be something wrong with him)

We'll see what happens.  I can feel the momentum building in fan support and hope we take pride in the team.  Charlotte can be a hell of a loyal fanbase, and also a bitter one.

No, I think he's a legitimately a crazy person. He had no problem throwing his girlfriend down the stairs or getting in fistfight with Evan Turner, so I don't think it's all an act and he's really just a prankster at heart. Now, it could be, and we're betting that it is, manageable with the right locker room and staff, but I'm not buying the "Lance is really a nice guy" line. 

#124 G Force Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:48 PM

G Force

Dominic "Who the **** is that" McGuire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Joined 01-March 10
  • LocationUptown Charlotte

The contract SUCKS for Lance and rules for us.

The third year is team option.  I haven't seen a steal like that since I saw Rick Bonnell with his pockets full at Krispy Kreme

Negative Nancy a.k.a Realistic Randy

Follow me @BonaBucks on Twitter

#125 dnbman Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:50 PM

dnbman

Existential Crisis Manager

• Moderators

• 6,440 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

The contract SUCKS for Lance and rules for us.

The third year is team option.  I haven't seen a steal like that since I saw Rick Bonnell with his pockets full at Krispy Kreme

It's fine for Lance as long as he plays well. He could be in for a MUCH bigger contract with the new television deal and increasing caps. As someone already mentioned, he's betting on himself. I like that.

Last Member: Nick Batum Fan Club

Professional Self-Loather

#126 Mustachio Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:07 PM

Mustachio

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,356 posts
  • Joined 11-July 06

It's fine for Lance as long as he plays well. He could be in for a MUCH bigger contract with the new television deal and increasing caps. As someone already mentioned, he's betting on himself. I like that.

yep.  He thinks he's a max player, and his best chance at becoming that is in Charlotte as a main player rather than in Indy in Paul Georges shadow making role player money for 4 years locked in.   

Indy fans are claiming his agent is an idiot, and maybe he turns out to be.   But the offer from Indy was 44 million dollars staggered 4th year being worth more.  So over 3 years he makes more money in Charlotte and puts himself back into the TV money sooner before its doled out.  

You can break down the numbers and make a position for either contract, but I think he hitched his wagon to Charlotte because he liked the direction better.  

Into the crevasse!

"Climb down Lemon, Climb down"Posted Image

#127 BPfromfrance Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:25 PM

BPfromfrance

Sean May... Krispy-Kreme MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Joined 16-April 13

If this new deal really is as lucrative as told and have a big impact on caps, some of the actual max contract signed such as the ones of melo, bosh or hayward will turn into not so overpaid deals...

#128 iowabobcat Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:45 PM

iowabobcat

The Dust Chip

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Joined 31-May 12

Magic loves the signing 

#129 dcpacersfan Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:20 PM

dcpacersfan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 16-July 14

POPULAR

Hey guys. I am a lifelong Pacers fan and thought I would share my relatively unbiased thoughts and what to expect with Lance.

First, let me say you guys have gotten Lance on an amazingly beneficial contract for your team. I mean, financially you guys got a massive steal that alleviates a lot of the downside risk involved with signing a player like Lance.

I'll start with the positives. First, Lance is one of the 3 or so players in the NBA who literally cannot be stopped in transition. When he gets it going in transition he is an elite-level player, up there with Lebron and Westbrook. Watching Lance on the fast break is a thing of beauty.

Second, fans will knock Lance for his shooting but I think he is underrated in this respect. One of the major criticisms of the Pacers last year was a really ugly offensive system that did not create a lot of good looks. This probably depressed Lance's shooting percentage. That said, Lance proved brilliant at taking guys off the dribble and creating shots when he needed to. You can find plenty of Youtube clips of these kinds of plays. Pretty amazing stuff.

Third, Lance is an elite perimeter defender. The Pacers have had among the best defenses in the NBA over the last couple of years largely because of Lance's defense. He is a guy you can put on elite wings such as Lebron and is going to contain them as well as anyone can. He can shut down more average players. I didn't watch you guys much last year but I have heard MKG is also a good defender and is still developing in this respect. If true you guys could have sick perimeter D in the coming years.

Now for a few negatives. It is true that Lance is GREAT at finding the open guy for the assist but he is NOT good at moving the ball and has what Pacers fans sometimes call "Travis Best" syndrome where he pounds the air out of the ball for 20 seconds and takes a bad shot. However, some of this may be due to a bad offensive system. Frank Vogel has not proven to be a very good offensive coach.

Second is all the assorted locker room stuff Lance faced as a Pacer. He got in a fistfight with Evan Turner in practice year either right before or during the playoffs, and there are rumors (emphasis on rumor) that he had an affair with another player's wife or girlfriend which contributed to the poor Pacers play in the playoffs this year. Lance was snubbed from the All-Star team this year, and players commented indirectly to the media that after that happened he started playing selfishly because he thought he had something to prove. Lance is also known from strange general practice antics, apparently he fakes injuries and will just lay on the floor for like two minutes for no reason. Again, I have never been to a closed Pacers practices or hung out in the Pacers locker room so I don't know how bad this stuff is.

Overall, you guys got a good player and the short contract alleviates the risks I mentioned. Hornets will definitely be a League Pass team for me next year, best of luck.

#130 Mich_Mercer Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:33 PM

Mich_Mercer

Keep Monk and MKG

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,848 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC
Thanks for coming here and sharing your insight with us. Very classy!!! Props to you! A lot of us here do feel bad for you guys! Hope Paul George continues to grow into a superstar and you guys make some noise.... Just not against us! Ha

#131 dcpacersfan Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:38 PM

dcpacersfan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 16-July 14

Thanks for coming here and sharing your insight with us. Very classy!!! Props to you! A lot of us here do feel bad for you guys! Hope Paul George continues to grow into a superstar and you guys make some noise.... Just not against us! Ha

Thanks. I have always liked your franchise, will probably root for you in the playoffs against anyone but Indy! Also so glad the Hornets name is back where it belongs. 

#132 Mustachio Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:40 PM

Mustachio

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,356 posts
  • Joined 11-July 06

Hey guys. I am a lifelong Pacers fan and thought I would share my relatively unbiased thoughts and what to expect with Lance.

Now for a few negatives. It is true that Lance is GREAT at finding the open guy for the assist but he is NOT good at moving the ball and has what Pacers fans sometimes call "Travis Best" syndrome where he pounds the air out of the ball for 20 seconds and takes a bad shot. However, some of this may be due to a bad offensive system. Frank Vogel has not proven to be a very good offensive coach.

Second is all the assorted locker room stuff Lance faced as a Pacer. He got in a fistfight with Evan Turner in practice year either right before or during the playoffs, and there are rumors (emphasis on rumor) that he had an affair with another player's wife or girlfriend which contributed to the poor Pacers play in the playoffs this year. Lance was snubbed from the All-Star team this year, and players commented indirectly to the media that after that happened he started playing selfishly because he thought he had something to prove. Lance is also known from strange general practice antics, apparently he fakes injuries and will just lay on the floor for like two minutes for no reason. Again, I have never been to a closed Pacers practices or hung out in the Pacers locker room so I don't know how bad this stuff is.

Overall, you guys got a good player and the short contract alleviates the risks I mentioned. Hornets will definitely be a League Pass team for me next year, best of luck.

Thanks for the post, I'll just speak to my hopes on the negatives.

Not a knock on the Pacers because they were the #1 seed for a reason, but I'm hoping having a good, established point guard and his friend Kemba beside him will alleviate some of the "pounding the air out of the ball" from his game. 

As far as the drama... I'm just taking the stance that he didn't do any of that in our locker room.  And so until that becomes an issue for us I'm not making it one. 

Thanks for the info and stick around... at least for the Pacer games.

Into the crevasse!

"Climb down Lemon, Climb down"Posted Image

#133 ohara831 Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:06 PM

ohara831

• 1000+ posts
  • 5,430 posts
  • Joined 24-May 06

Glad to have the input above.  Very well thought out and well written.  Really happy with the signing and looking forward to seeing him play in a Hornets uniform this coming season.

#134 Potato Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:56 PM

Potato

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,194 posts
  • Joined 03-May 12

another thing.  Lance is trading security for opportunity.  He's gonna bust his ass here.  And he knows he can't fuck up.  He won't, his decision this free agency makes me think he's really grown up.

My opinions about my sports teams are almost as bad as my sports teams.  Rap music fan.

Hornets

Panthers

San Diego Padres

Liverpool

USMNT

#135 SpiderHornet Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:04 PM

SpiderHornet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Joined 23-April 13

Does the name Steve Smith ring a bell? He's done one or two questionable things in the locker room over the years, he learned and has become a better person from it.

#136 Adam42R Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:32 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,557 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

First, let me say you guys have gotten Lance on an amazingly beneficial contract for your team. I mean, financially you guys got a massive steal that alleviates a lot of the downside risk involved with signing a player like Lance.

I'll start with the positives. First, Lance is one of the 3 or so players in the NBA who literally cannot be stopped in transition. When he gets it going in transition he is an elite-level player, up there with Lebron and Westbrook. Watching Lance on the fast break is a thing of beauty.

Second, fans will knock Lance for his shooting but I think he is underrated in this respect. One of the major criticisms of the Pacers last year was a really ugly offensive system that did not create a lot of good looks. This probably depressed Lance's shooting percentage. That said, Lance proved brilliant at taking guys off the dribble and creating shots when he needed to. You can find plenty of Youtube clips of these kinds of plays. Pretty amazing stuff.

Third, Lance is an elite perimeter defender. The Pacers have had among the best defenses in the NBA over the last couple of years largely because of Lance's defense. He is a guy you can put on elite wings such as Lebron and is going to contain them as well as anyone can. He can shut down more average players. I didn't watch you guys much last year but I have heard MKG is also a good defender and is still developing in this respect. If true you guys could have sick perimeter D in the coming years.

Tried to "like" your post but ran out of likes for the day. Mental note: like this post tomorrow :-

I think along the lines of others that although I don't deny anything you are saying of the negative antics, my sincere hope is that it's one of those opportunities for him to leave it behind (and make it appear that it was far more an IND issue than a Lance issue) by bringing a new attitude here. I think guys do that some times (and some times it works). I kinda hate thinking this is a decline of Indiana from its current trajectory because it's honestly what I have been hoping we were on (and would hate to see it could unravel with one un-retained player). At the same time, selfishly, I hope it does help us swap places with IND on the pecking order in the East. Guess time will tell. But sincere welcome and certainly value an outside perspective.
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#137 CaptainJackFan Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:57 PM

CaptainJackFan

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Joined 26-May 14

Tried to "like" your post but ran out of likes for the day. Mental note: like this post tomorrow :-

I think along the lines of others that although I don't deny anything you are saying of the negative antics, my sincere hope is that it's one of those opportunities for him to leave it behind (and make it appear that it was far more an IND issue than a Lance issue) by bringing a new attitude here. I think guys do that some times (and some times it works). I kinda hate thinking this is a decline of Indiana from its current trajectory because it's honestly what I have been hoping we were on (and would hate to see it could unravel with one un-retained player). At the same time, selfishly, I hope it does help us swap places with IND on the pecking order in the East. Guess time will tell. But sincere welcome and certainly value an outside perspective.

Been a lot of "liking" going on today. Easy to run out.

#138 InProblematique Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:17 PM

InProblematique

Al's Questionable Shots Gave Me a Hangover

• Honorary Beagle

• 4,892 posts
  • Joined 05-June 13
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Wait, is there really a "like" limit? I had no clue. hahahaha

Six Words/PP11

Posted Image

#139 Mich_Mercer Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:27 PM

Mich_Mercer

Keep Monk and MKG

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,848 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC
I still don't even know how to "like" comments. Ha Maybe bc I'm always on my phone?

#140 Mich_Mercer Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:28 PM

Mich_Mercer

Keep Monk and MKG

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,848 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Wait, is there really a "like" limit? I had no clue. hahahaha

Of course you wouldn't know. Jerk! ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users