297 replies to this topic

#241 buckets Posted 22 July 2016 - 12:57 PM

buckets

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Honorary Beagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,925 posts
  • Joined 27-June 15

This makes no sense and yes I read the rest. How many more dollars will they make pandering to certain groups? Apparently not enough since they sold out on the jerseys. This will be just as much if not more of a turn off, like the Black Lives Matter and gay pride shirts. Just leave politics out of sports for petes sake.

Yet we seemingly only hear from you to express objections to grievances and accommodations for persons different from you. Accommodations no doubt that politically - and socially - defaulted in your favor long ago.

And comically - if not pathetically - pulling your own pants down by unnecessarily interjecting BLM and dissmising "the gays" on a sports-centric forum. The very definition of what you're claiming to be against.
#Chodidthemath

#242 buckets Posted 22 July 2016 - 01:10 PM

buckets

• Honorary Beagle

• 5,925 posts
  • Joined 27-June 15

All I know is if  some fag pulls his junk out in front of my granddaughter  . I will fuck him up bad if I still can . Call me raciest if you want  but no fag has the right to  come against me or my family. All Star game or not .  

Besides the offensive language I don't get where this is coming from. Why would gay men warrant heightened vigilance around your granddaughter?

#Chodidthemath

#243 brood Posted 22 July 2016 - 01:15 PM

brood

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Joined 18-July 14
  • LocationConcord, NC

Yet we seemingly only hear from you to express objections to grievances and accommodations for persons different from you. Accommodations no doubt that politically - and socially - defaulted in your favor long ago.

And comically - if not pathetically - pulling your own pants down by unnecessarily interjecting BLM and dissmising "the gays" on a sports-centric forum. The very definition of what you're claiming to be against.

"Hands up, don't shoot" is a lie.  Their whole freaking movement is based around a lies.  You literally have about as much of a chance of being shot by a cop as you do being struck by lightning.  Unjustified shootings are much lower odds.

That's how the left operates... lies and obfuscation.

#244 Swedd523 Posted 22 July 2016 - 01:20 PM

Swedd523

• Moderators

• 9,703 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09
So now is probably the correct time to go ahead and reign things in a little bit.

Deep breath everyone. Back on topic

#245 buckets Posted 22 July 2016 - 01:24 PM

buckets

• Honorary Beagle

• 5,925 posts
  • Joined 27-June 15

"Hands up, don't shoot" is a lie.  Their whole freaking movement is based around a lies.  You literally have about as much of a chance of being shot by a cop as you do being struck by lightning.  Unjustified shootings are much lower odds.

So here we are again - going down a politically/socially motivated path of your choosing which is in direct conflict with you're supposed objective.

#Chodidthemath

#246 InProblematique Posted 22 July 2016 - 01:39 PM

InProblematique

Al's Questionable Shots Gave Me a Hangover

• Honorary Beagle

• 4,892 posts
  • Joined 05-June 13
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Dude, after reading your posts on this thread, you're the one doing the obfuscating. Blaming the "trannies" for the NBA leaving is like blaming a hearse that transports the dead to the funerals. Your posts are right wing word salads.

Six Words/PP11

Posted Image

#247 InProblematique Posted 22 July 2016 - 01:43 PM

InProblematique

• Honorary Beagle

• 4,892 posts
  • Joined 05-June 13
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Dav,

Statistically it's estimated that 10% of Americans are gay. Which means that just by sheer numbers that you likely have family members, friends or someone else very close to you that is gay. They just may be keeping it a secret.

When you refer to gay people as fags, you are hurting those that are close to you that are in that position. They may want to confide in you, but talk like that would keep them from doing it.

Think about your best friend... would they mean any less to you if they were gay?

And to bring it closer to home, statistically speaking, I'm sure there is at least one member of the LGBTQ community who visits or has visited these forums. I'm sure reading some of these posts have got to make them turn and run in the other direction. Reading the word "fag" is like being kicked in the nuts all the way back to 1996 when first graders used it as the most vile of insults.

Six Words/PP11

Posted Image

#248 brood Posted 22 July 2016 - 01:46 PM

brood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Joined 18-July 14
  • LocationConcord, NC

So here we are again - going down a politically/socially motivated path of your choosing which is in direct conflict with you're supposed objective.

It's all political. That's my point.  The NBA has clearly chosen which sides they want to support.

#249 dav7z Posted 22 July 2016 - 02:15 PM

dav7z

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,196 posts
  • Joined 16-June 06

Dav,

Statistically it's estimated that 10% of Americans are gay. Which means that just by sheer numbers that you likely have family members, friends or someone else very close to you that is gay. They just may be keeping it a secret.

When you refer to gay people as fags, you are hurting those that are close to you that are in that position. They may want to confide in you, but talk like that would keep them from doing it.

Think about your best friend... would they mean any less to you if they were gay?

I just want to say I am very sorry about what I said . It is no excuse . That's not me . I am the one who is lucky because you guys respect me and the little education I have. I am on some of the strongest pain pills out and fighting to not get 4 more Sergeys . I want all I offended to know I am very sorry .It's still no excuse

#250 buckets Posted 22 July 2016 - 02:29 PM

buckets

• Honorary Beagle

• 5,925 posts
  • Joined 27-June 15

It's all political. That's my point.  The NBA has clearly chosen which sides they want to support.

Nah, your point was to post remarks about various demographic groups, topical or otherwise.

#Chodidthemath

#251 Swedd523 Posted 22 July 2016 - 03:13 PM

Swedd523

• Moderators

• 9,703 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09
So when I said "deep breaths, back on topic", I meant it. Don't make me do mod shit and pass out warnings or timeouts.

Keep this on topic. Go to the champagne room if you want more of the broad political discussion behind closed doors

#252 eshelmon Posted 22 July 2016 - 03:13 PM

eshelmon

Jeff "Sure I'll Start" McInnis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Joined 04-July 13
  • LocationGreensboro

Yes... they did enact the law AFTER awarding the city the ASG... and they also enacted the law AFTER an election.   No one in NC has had a chance to vote on this subject, or clean out the general assembly.  The people and city are being financially punished for an action they had literally nothing to do with... and in most cases completely disagree with the law.  

and "They do not want to come across as advocating this bill"  sorry but them holding the all star game like they promised is in no way shape or form coming across as advocating the bill.  I believe you live and work in this state...  am I to take that as you advocating the bill?  of course not.

None of this matters anyway as the move to Louisiana is proof of their hypocrisy.  "In 2013, law enforcement officers in East Baton Rouge Parish arrested men who agreed to engage in sexual activity banned by the statute."     But hey... at least its a fun party city if you're straight right? 

According to a PPP poll on same sex marriage in 2014

Louisiana - Support 32% - Oppose 55%
North Carolina - Support 40% - Oppose 53%

Lets just have a couple hurricanes and forget the whole thing.

Louisiana has to be out for nba as well as Okl,Wis, Tenn, Okl, Tex, Utah...all suing to stop Obama transgender directive that transgender students in public schools pick the bathroom and locker room to use. Orlando seems the obvious choice given recent events...but nba will have to consider fla has voter id law.

#253 brood Posted 22 July 2016 - 04:46 PM

brood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Joined 18-July 14
  • LocationConcord, NC

Nah, your point was to post remarks about various demographic groups, topical or otherwise.

Incorrect.

#254 brood Posted 22 July 2016 - 08:16 PM

brood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Joined 18-July 14
  • LocationConcord, NC
I'll just leave this right here.

http://www.nsjonline...owner-mayor-hb2

A minority owner, Felix Sabates, in an email obtained by the North State Journal, blamed local politicians for losing the economically beneficial event.

Sabates wrote the Charlotte "Mayor opened a can of worms" with the Charlotte bathroom ordinance and blamed "our city council" for "losing the NBA All-Star Game."

"None of this would have happened if not for a very few minority forcing our supposed city leaders into creating a problem that never really existed, there will always be another election, they better pray a very few can get them re-elected," Sabates wrote.

#255 QC Thundercats Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:10 PM

QC Thundercats

Quality Control Thundercats

• Honorary Beagle

• 2,373 posts
  • Joined 01-June 12

POPULAR

Man, this shit is sad. I think everybody here, no matter your political leaning, is pissed the game got taken away, and for those that live around Charlotte, the hit on the city's finances, image, and business prospects are massive and embarrassing.  People all over the internet talking about how backwards and bigoted Charlotte is, even though we all know its the complete opposite.

But thats not whats sad.  While politics does play a major part in this and is a major cause of all the sniping, its bigger than that.  This is a human issue that pretty much everyone should agree on.  

Ziggy is right about the general population being about 10% gay.  Always has been, always will be, they just feel safer to come out now.  And sure, you may think thats not a significant number to be all up in arms about.  But only 4% of the population is Asian, and it'd be wrong to enact any discriminatory laws against them.  So the numbers don't matter.

The truth of the matter is that the Charlotte city council tried to be progressive and enact an anti discrimination law for the LGBT community.  Why do we need this you say?  Well ideally, we wouldn't need any anti discrimination law in the first place, except for the fact that black people, women, and even the disabled were all severely discriminated against to the point that legislation needed to be put in place.  And because the LGBT weren't originally included, it is quite prudent and fair to add this class of people to give equal protection to ALL classes of people.  Its necessary because backward ass people think they'll catch the gay if they serve a member a pizza, or go to hell if they dare provide any kind of service or act of kindness to them.

It was necessary because gay people weren't allowed to receive spousal benefits for taxes, wills, estates, weren't allowed to adopt, passed over for jobs even though qualified, and of course, not be served cake or pizza simply because of who they're attracted to.  So to make sure that individuals and business can't continue to get away with such outright bigotry, Charlotte tried joining about 200 other US cities that already enacted a similar law protecting an entire class of people who need it.

BUT THE BATHROOMS!!!  OK, everyone can all agree we don't want pedophiles attacking our daughters (and sons).  The point of the Charlotte ordinance was about equal protection, the bathroom part was a small line at the end.  I can agree that maybe that part could've been left out, since transgendered folks probably went to the bathroom they wanted to anyway.

But if Pat and the GA were truly concerned about that, then they could've invalidated just that part.  But they didn't.  They decided that, no we don't want to allow Charlotte to protect this class of citizens, and opened up the ability for businesses to discriminate based solely on the suspicion of gayness.  Which could be used as a front for any form of discrimination ("I thought that arab looking guy was gay"), and then took the extraordinary step of taking away the right to sue in local court.  For discrimination.  Of any kind.  

BUT CAN'T YOU STILL SUE IN STATE COURT?? Sure, but its highly burdensome.  State courts may be hundreds of miles away from your home, making it hard to travel back and forth for trial, and the state courts are even more booked, less staffed, is slower and completely prevents someone the ability to address their grievances and injuries within any reasonable time period .  Why did P & the GA create this burden for no reason?  Really, why?  There is no good policy reason to make it exponentially harder for someone legitimately discriminated against to access the justice system.

So that's why businesses are actually mad, the NBA is mad, protesters, citizens, and any compassionate soul who looks past the smoke is mad.  It is not about bathrooms, otherwise it could've been taken care of easier.  It is about outright discriminatory legislation that does not give a class of people equal protection.  And that should make all citizens upset, because all men are supposed to be created equal.

I just want to say I am very sorry about what I said . It is no excuse . That's not me . I am the one who is lucky because you guys respect me and the little education I have. I am on some of the strongest pain pills out and fighting to not get 4 more Sergeys . I want all I offended to know I am very sorry .It's still no excuse

I quoted this for 2 reasons: 1) is in case Adam couldn't see the apology if he did in fact block you, and 2) this is the perfect example of how politicians artfully play to peoples fears, no matter how irrational.

Dave, as far as I know, you're a good dude.  Passionate, ornery, and prone to frustration, but a good fan and member.  I was actually pretty shocked by your previous post, as that didn't seem your character, but its all part of the learning experience, and I'm glad you can acknowledge it.

But that was a prime example of what P+GA wanted people to feel.  That transgendered people would whip out their junk and rape everybody's daughters.  They want people to conflate LGBT people with pedophiles and perverts, so you can stay angry and vote for them.  Trans people are actually more scared of the general public harming them then people are to them.  Does the ordinance make perverts more likely to take advantage and hide in bathrooms?  I haven't really heard of an uptick of that in any of the cities that have already enacted such a law.

But a pervert is a pervert, they'll continue doing what they've always done.  If they dressed as a women to get in the girls bathroom, they were already doing that before.  Transgendered girls already used the girls bathroom, transgendered boys already used the boys bathroom.  Nothing changed with Charlotte's law.  Everything changed with Raleigh's law.  They tried to fix a problem that didn't exist anyway, and harmed not only an entire class of citizens, but the entire Charlotte metropolitan area with loss of business, and actually the entire state as now we are constantly in the news as being a land of bigots.

#256 InProblematique Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:31 PM

InProblematique

• Honorary Beagle

• 4,892 posts
  • Joined 05-June 13
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

but the entire Charlotte metropolitan area with loss of business, and actually the entire state as now we are constantly in the news as being a land of bigots.

I agree with absolutely everything you said, but this last point is what really kills me.

A lot of us either live in Charlotte. A lot more visit Charlotte frequently, and even more visit on occasion. What absolutely fucking destroys me in all of this is that Charlotte is being painted as this home of inconsolable bigots. Having lived in Charlotte with several gay friends, I have never experienced a single moment of discomfort with them. Not once. I've gone to gay bars, I've gone to bars that are little more than holes in the wall, and not once did I feel unwelcome when I've been with my gay friends. I do know a couple of trans people, but they live outside of the state, so I only know their opinions from outsiders perspectives when it comes to NC.

But at the end of the day, all of this just makes us look bad. The NBA pulling out (even though I think it was a relatively shallow gesture for the LGBTQ community) has only renewed national scrutiny in Charlotte and all of NC. 

McCrory and the GA passed a bill that just did not need to exist. And they did it so quickly that all of our heads were spinning by the time it was done. It was unnecessary, it was in clear retaliation of a progressive move made by the city of Charlotte, and it has done nothing to change anything but hurt the state economically... and that's to say nothing of how offended and alienated a large portion of the state has to feel now.

I don't think the NBA did anything right here. I just think the governor and GA did everything wrong. They have put us at the center of negativty in a national debate about equal rights. I think the NBA could have and should done more without moving the game, but that's just how it is.

Six Words/PP11

Posted Image

#257 spectre Posted 23 July 2016 - 05:57 AM

spectre

For Rent

• Moderators

• 10,491 posts
  • Joined 14-February 07

Sigh.  Figured this was going to happen...both losing the weekend and the debate here coming afterwards.

I get that the NBA could have held it anyway and used it as a platform (my much preferred route) but pulling out with a promise of holding it in 2019 was IMO the best way to make a statement that would be heard by the GA.  This HB bullshit was nothing more than a move to radicalize political bases and gain money/votes and I hope it bites every one of them here in Raleigh right in the ass.

I've gotten old and to the point where I hate politics; they're all crooks and liars and not worth any of my free time giving them attention.  I'm voting this year time around tho.  Against...not for.

"But we're protecting the children!".  God I hate politicians.

Hope Resurrected: "I think I can bring an attitude to a team as far as, All right, no matter what, we are not losing this game'." - Kemba Walker

"Its okay to be bad; just so long as you're bad ass." - Keetch

"I don't care if he uses a sophisticated pulley and tackle system to get his shot off if the bitch goes in.
"-Mustachio

"I'm a Pistons fan now. The Hornets are boring and I hate 3/4s of the players."  Brother Dave on 3/11/16.

#258 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 23 July 2016 - 05:58 AM

GeraldWallaceMVP

All Aboard the Rozier Bandwagon

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,868 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC
If Curry says he likes Charlotte so much he needs to stick it to the NBA and join the Hornets lmao

#259 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 23 July 2016 - 06:01 AM

GeraldWallaceMVP

All Aboard the Rozier Bandwagon

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,868 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC

Why is everynody blaming McCrory when it was the radical Mayor and City council who started all this? Were trannies in bathrooms a big deal before? If they were I never thought about it.

MvCroy was the one who stood by the law in the end and still stands by ir

#260 Chef Posted 23 July 2016 - 06:39 AM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,845 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

Sigh.  Figured this was going to happen...both losing the weekend and the debate here coming afterwards.

I get that the NBA could have held it anyway and used it as a platform (my much preferred route) but pulling out with a promise of holding it in 2019 was IMO the best way to make a statement that would be heard by the GA.  This HB bullshit was nothing more than a move to radicalize political bases and gain money/votes and I hope it bites every one of them here in Raleigh right in the ass.

I've gotten old and to the point where I hate politics; they're all crooks and liars and not worth any of my free time giving them attention.  I'm voting this year time around tho.  Against...not for.

"But we're protecting the children!".  God I hate politicians.

i quote this because it is largely how i feel except i think we may be voting against different people.

it gives me great pleasure in knowing that the beagle left the world with charlotte having next year's all-star game, the team playing extremely well and everything seeming to be on the come up in our nba world.

Holding out hope that Mike sells.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users