Mustachio

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• Honorary Beagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,847 posts
  • Joined 11-July 06

"How the NBA's bottom-dwellers are putting on a tanking clinic" -

http://www.espn.com/...king-clinic-nba

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or in other words, how the Charlotte Hornets will make their push to barely make/miss the 2018 playoffs and maintain their treadmill! :facepalm:  :P

But we can't tank.  We couldn't do that... we'd lose fans!!!

http://www.espn.com/nba/attendance

SMH. 

(please note number 3 on that list.)

Into the crevasse!

"Climb down Lemon, Climb down"Posted Image

#2122 Adam42R Posted 26 February 2018 - 03:17 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,824 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
We've lost fans three straight years, I think they do have to be careful treating the faithful like throw away. I don't think they can close down anything this far out. They drop three of their next five and they ought to however. But for now, they have a fighting chance and one never knows how injuries shake out.
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#2123 cltblkhscoach Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:07 PM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,991 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06

But we can't tank.  We couldn't do that... we'd lose fans!!!

http://www.espn.com/nba/attendance

SMH. 

(please note number 3 on that list.)

24th counts for something in this market especially when we've been very disappointing, and every fan is $$$, and we know these guys are about that money. Michael Jordan isn't going through tanking again for sure and I would bet money we are building from the middle going forward, especially with Lebron's reign of terror ending sooner than later. 

Philly being #3 is great, but they have a great tradition there that I think has gotten lost over the last several years. Their 80s teams were right there with the Celtics for most years and they were great when Iverson was there of course. 

Indiana is the shocker on that list. Wow

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#2124 Mustachio Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:45 AM

Mustachio

• Honorary Beagle

• 5,847 posts
  • Joined 11-July 06

24th counts for something in this market especially when we've been very disappointing, and every fan is $$$, and we know these guys are about that money. Michael Jordan isn't going through tanking again for sure and I would bet money we are building from the middle going forward, especially with Lebron's reign of terror ending sooner than later. 

Philly being #3 is great, but they have a great tradition there that I think has gotten lost over the last several years. Their 80s teams were right there with the Celtics for most years and they were great when Iverson was there of course. 

Indiana is the shocker on that list. Wow

in 09 The Hornets were bad and the attendance reflected that at 26th out of 30 teams.   We averaged 14526 a night.  

in 17 The Hornets were good and the attendance reflected that at 17th out of 30 teams.  We averaged 17332 a night.  

That's a difference of 2806 people a night between 6 wins a season and a first round playoff loss.    Basically 5.5 million dollars difference between the season in revenue generated from ticket sales at $50 avg price. 

That's a lot of money per year, but not really when you consider the operating budget of the team.   And if you play your cards right, that small loss per year on lower attendance numbers will be more than paid back when you're sitting 3rd in the attendance numbers and merch/tickets are flying off the shells because the team you know... is actually good.  

This is my point.  Why is Jordan afraid of a tank?   it's not going to touch his personal bottom line, and it's barely gonna affect the teams overall line.  I think continued mediocrity and playing from the middle, will ultimately be much worse than 3 seasons of losing basketball.    I mean... playing from the middle has got guys like Chef taking breaks from the team.  Chef posted 3 times a day during the 6 win season.      Mediocrity will kill this market more than losing will. 

Into the crevasse!

#2125 Adam42R Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:04 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,824 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
Would think season ticket sales are more critical to sustained success than single game sales. It would be interesting to hear what the season ticket impact is for winning seasons vs losing ones. I assume the cost freeze stems any mass exit. At the same time, that they had to do the freeze was a direct reflection on poor performances. Yet if they can retain say 85% oh their current ST base and increase prices for any newbies entering, they have a better chance of netting more than if they lose a large mass of STHs and have to reclaim that ground. Remember, we got to this much of a ST fanbase because we were the cheapest ticket in the NBA or near it for years.
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#2126 cltblkhscoach Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:59 PM

cltblkhscoach

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,991 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
Tanking doesnt guarantee winning big. If it did, we wouldnt have perpetual losing teams.

#2127 Mustachio Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:49 PM

Mustachio

• Honorary Beagle

• 5,847 posts
  • Joined 11-July 06

Tanking doesnt guarantee winning big. If it did, we wouldnt have perpetual losing teams.

I agree.  Spending a ton of money doesn't guarantee winning big either.    The only thing that is a guarantee is that continually trying to live in both worlds gets you 15 years as a laughing stock in the NBA. 

My only point was that Jordan should have no fear of anything but mediocrity and its the one thing he continues to nail.    We aren't gonna lose any more fans in a tank, we don't have that many now and they are diehards.    Just make a plan and stick to it longer than 44 games is all I ask.  that and fire Clifford. 

Into the crevasse!

#2128 cltblkhscoach Posted 27 February 2018 - 03:13 PM

cltblkhscoach

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,991 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06

Oh I'm not suggesting we go shopping for free agents either, you look at the best teams right now, how many of them got great from tanking is all I'm saying. Most of them built from the middle and made a smart move to put them in the Top 10 of the league, which usually achieves that Top 4 seed and sustained success Jordan is looking for. 

#2129 powellrmp Posted 27 February 2018 - 04:46 PM

powellrmp

Al "The Beast" Jefferson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16

35 year old Emeka Okafor is starting for the Pelicans.

that's pretty neat.

#2130 Adam42R Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:06 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,824 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

I agree. Spending a ton of money doesn't guarantee winning big either. The only thing that is a guarantee is that continually trying to live in both worlds gets you 15 years as a laughing stock in the NBA.

My only point was that Jordan should have no fear of anything but mediocrity and its the one thing he continues to nail. We aren't gonna lose any more fans in a tank, we don't have that many now and they are diehards. Just make a plan and stick to it longer than 44 games is all I ask. that and fire Clifford.

I can see what we gain from a tank. We can't win a race to the bottom so why should we try that? And if we did, folks perception of our draft history dictates we'll squander that. Aim for the playoffs until you can't Imo.

#2131 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:01 PM

GeraldWallaceMVP

Dwight's Only Fan

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,853 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC

Very cool interview with Dwight

http://www.wcnc.com/...e/275-523880725

#2132 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:12 AM

GeraldWallaceMVP

Dwight's Only Fan

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,853 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC
What do you guys think of bringing D Rose in to replace MCW?

#2133 jfoster Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:31 PM

jfoster

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,313 posts
  • Joined 25-April 14
  • LocationGreenville, South Carolina
76ers won handy against the cavs but good news is Heat lost so still down 4 games for the 8th spot of the playoffs (treadmill)

#2134 WIAN Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:36 PM

WIAN

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,052 posts
  • Joined 01-November 08

76ers won handy against the cavs but good news is Heat lost so still down 4 games for the 8th spot of the playoffs (treadmill)

I lost some hope watching the Sixers. We need all of the games vs the Sixers.

#2135 jfoster Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:47 AM

jfoster

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,313 posts
  • Joined 25-April 14
  • LocationGreenville, South Carolina

I lost some hope watching the Sixers. We need all of the games vs the Sixers.

All I can say is we better hope embiid doesn't play tomorrow. Kid is a beast!

#2136 pellom Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:30 AM

pellom

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,058 posts
  • Joined 24-May 14

All I can say is we better hope embiid doesn't play tomorrow. Kid is a beast!

As a genera NBA fan, I’d be very excited to see how Embiid handles Dwight. It’s always interesting to see how the young guys deal with his strength. KAT didn’t do well earlier in the year.

#2137 spaceshoes Posted 29 March 2018 - 06:59 PM

spaceshoes

Al "The Beast" Jefferson

• Members
  • 984 posts
  • Joined 12-August 15
  • LocationFort Mill, SC
Embiid with an orbital fracture and concussion. Man, I hope he's able to come back from this. I'd hate for him to become another Greg Oden.

#2138 Founding Hornet Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:01 PM

Founding Hornet

Al "The Beast" Jefferson

• Members
  • 799 posts
  • Joined 11-July 14
Space shoes, are you kidding?

#2139 spaceshoes Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:10 PM

spaceshoes

Al "The Beast" Jefferson

• Members
  • 984 posts
  • Joined 12-August 15
  • LocationFort Mill, SC
He spent his first two seasons injured. He gets a fracture this year and will be out for some time after surgery. Yes, I'm serious when I say that I hope his career isn't shortened by injuries.

#2140 dnbman Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:20 AM

dnbman

Existential Crisis Manager

• Moderators

• 5,785 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07
I’d hate to be the first pick that struggled with my jumper, underwhelmed in general, and then gave the cornerstone of the franchise an orbital fracture.

Then again, I could eat a lot of my feelings with that money.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

3 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

powellrmp, tdbruton, Bogg