46 replies to this topic

#1 ncborn Posted 04 July 2017 - 07:16 PM

ncborn

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Joined 01-July 17

I am surprised by the number of people who think that spending 110 million while missing the playoffs is acceptable.  I stated that if the Hornets fail Cho would get fired.  That lead to:

1.  A dude mocking me with a picture of a kid.

2.  A dude personally attacking the reporter who wrote the obvious (you can't p!ss away money and expect the boss to keep you on the job)

3. WORST off all:  A defense of the Hornet's failure last year as acceptable or commendable or the best that they could do. 

I've been watching MJ since his days as a freshman on campus and I can tell you this - he does not accept mediocrity. 

In fact, I am guessing that the conversation between the boss and front office staff went like this: "You used MY MONEY to create one of the highest payrolls in the league and you MISSED the god d@mn playoffs?!?!? - You need to fix this sh!t"

Personally I think that Cho is brilliant but if the Hornets fail again I am sure that he will be out of a job.  That would suck because I think the REAL issue is the coach's 1990s style of play. 

But I understand that keeping Cho around after last year's performance was nothing short of charity. 

#2 jfoster Posted 04 July 2017 - 07:36 PM

jfoster

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Joined 25-April 14
  • LocationGreenville, South Carolina
I think most are saying how cho has turned this team from the laughingstock of the nba into an actual respectable franchise. Thats why he MAY get a little more leeway when it comes to if he should stay or get fired.

#3 Swedd523 Posted 04 July 2017 - 07:36 PM

Swedd523

• Moderators

• 9,300 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09
That post is so full of passive aggressive derp that I simply cannot respond in full right now. Hopefully Stache and Buckets are along before long to help square you away

#4 InProblematique Posted 04 July 2017 - 07:44 PM

InProblematique

Al's Questionable Shots Gave Me a Hangover

• Honorary Beagle

• 4,876 posts
  • Joined 05-June 13
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

tl;dr

"I am right I am right I am right I am right I am right"

Six Words/PP11

Posted Image

#5 powellrmp Posted 04 July 2017 - 07:57 PM

powellrmp

Al "The Beast" Jefferson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16
Cho has turned crap into acquiring Dwight Howard.

#6 buckets Posted 04 July 2017 - 07:59 PM

buckets

• Honorary Beagle

• 4,784 posts
  • Joined 27-June 15
Null is that you?
#Chodidthemath

#7 jfoster Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:03 PM

jfoster

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,313 posts
  • Joined 25-April 14
  • LocationGreenville, South Carolina
Cho turning Miles/marco/ramon into dwight/monk/mcw is a feat itself. Hell i would have given him an extension.

#8 dnbman Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:12 PM

dnbman

Existential Crisis Manager

• Moderators

• 5,785 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

That's why you (or most of us) don't run $700,000,000 sports franchises: we tend to not look beyond simple ideas.

I'm sure he wants to win, but Jordan's not a 5 year old either. He understands bigger picture issues, from marketing the team to overall team health. I'm sure Jordan is relatively happy about what's happening given the NBA landscape. 

#9 powellrmp Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:16 PM

powellrmp

Al "The Beast" Jefferson

• Members
  • 878 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16
other than missing the playoffs last year what evidence do you have of cho doing a poor job?

Big name stars haven't been knocking down doors to sign with Charlotte.

Batum isn't a big star, but he's a star that we got for a steal. Kembas contract is so cheap it's a joke. Zellers contract was a steal. Cho has done amazing contract work.

#10 Mustachio Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:13 PM

Mustachio

• Honorary Beagle

• 5,847 posts
  • Joined 11-July 06

tumblr_mvxpva54A41r2mzwqo1_500.gif

Into the crevasse!

"Climb down Lemon, Climb down"Posted Image

#11 GoBobs Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:25 PM

GoBobs

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,864 posts
  • Joined 05-June 08

I think the op sounds reasonable. I think Cho has done a great job but Clifford is a bum.

When you look at the extensions of Walker, MKG, and Zeller compared to what other guys are getting I think he nailed those.

Walker is on one of the best deals in the league getting like 12 mil. Teague, George Hill and Patty Mills are all getting around almost 20 mil per year.

Zeller is around 13 per while Steven Adams is getting almost 25 mil per year.

MKG is the only questionable one, but when you consider that Allen Crabbe is getting like 19 mil and Evan Turner is getting 18 mil it feels like a steal.

ncborn, don't be so sensitive... its an internet forum people are going to disagree and post gifs... who cares

#12 powellrmp Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:35 PM

powellrmp

Al "The Beast" Jefferson

• Members
  • 878 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16
No, the op doesn't sound reasonable. He can't find the humor in a well timed and excuted gif. Also, he called a gif a picture. Gifs aren't pictures. They're gifs.

Op, Lighten up buddy guy. I'm not surprised you got the reaction you did. In life, it's hard to make friends walking into the room and taking a dump on things and everyone else. This applies to both the Internet and real life.

I feel confident that we all can patch things up and have some fun talking about sports ball.

but leave the journalistic "stylings" of Scott fowler out of it.

#13 InProblematique Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:25 PM

InProblematique

Al's Questionable Shots Gave Me a Hangover

• Honorary Beagle

• 4,876 posts
  • Joined 05-June 13
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

That's why you (or most of us) don't run $700,000,000 sports franchises: we tend to not look beyond simple ideas.

I'm sure he wants to win, but Jordan's not a 5 year old either. He understands bigger picture issues, from marketing the team to overall team health. I'm sure Jordan is relatively happy about what's happening given the NBA landscape. 

lol I love how you inadvertently imply that one of us could potentially be running a major league sporting franchise.

you guys got me. I'm actually David Stearns, GM of the Milwaukee Brewers. I just really like the Hornets, and I secretly cheer for you guys when you play the Bucks.

Six Words/PP11

Posted Image

#14 ncborn Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:09 AM

ncborn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Joined 01-July 17
When Jordan was in this area and he as trying to wrestle away the bullets/wizards away from Abe Pollin and Rus Unseld (in a very ugly, public and unapologetic way) he told Ade, "Look old man if you can't make a profit then you should sell the team". 15 years ago I thought that those were the words of an @sshole. Looking back I realize those where the words of calculating business man with a killer instinct and yeah business gets ugly - real ugly from time to time.

Thank goodness that he didn't get the wizards because NC needs him a million times more. The newspaper articles about Cho running out of rope actually make perfect sense when you think about his boss and the money. MJ got richer after basketball because of his take no prisoners/mediocrity is not acceptable mindset. So the goodwill that Cho has built up will only last so long when you have tossed $110 million at a non play off team. That's not pesonal (as some of you have gotten because you don't like my posts) its simple economics 101.

You p!ss away a killer's money you get axed. Heck that ain't even economics that's street survival 101!

Again I don't think that Cho is the problem. The coach is different story. Sadly I think that MJ accepts the 1990s style of play. I mean why else would you hire Mr. 1990s failure Patrick E to train big men?

#15 kitch0202 Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:29 AM

kitch0202

• Members
  • 873 posts
  • Joined 22-December 11
  • LocationLondon, England.

Extending your rationale of Jordan having a keen business mind he will, therefore, appreciate the financial job Cho has done.

We have no bad contracts (Howard's an expiring next season).

We have a solid, young core all on good contracts.

Players are resigning at a discount.

Now I could understand if Jordan brought someone in to oversee the drafting process as we haven't exactly hit it out of the park in that department, though equally haven't done badly.

Cho is a businessman's dream. He 'wins' just about all of his trades and has turned an ageing Bobcats roster into a young, good value, Hornets roster (Howard's soon-to-be-expiring contract aside). I just don't see the problem with the job he's done and therefore cannot fathom how he's on the hot seat.

"If we didn't have usernames, you would probably get in an argument with yourself" adam187

"The only time wasting delusion is engaging you with conversation on this website.  but I'm free till lunch biatch so lets roll." Mustachio

#16 pellom Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:01 AM

pellom

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,058 posts
  • Joined 24-May 14
The fact of the matter is the path we've chosen is the hardest path in the NBA. A small market team trying to compete without a star. I think this path is directly handed down from ownership - so in this sense, one could argue MJ is more to blame than Cho.

#17 ncborn Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:07 PM

ncborn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Joined 01-July 17

Extending your rationale of Jordan having a keen business mind he will, therefore, appreciate the financial job Cho has done.

We have no bad contracts (Howard's an expiring next season).

We have a solid, young core all on good contracts.

Players are resigning at a discount.

Now I could understand if Jordan brought someone in to oversee the drafting process as we haven't exactly hit it out of the park in that department, though equally haven't done badly.

Cho is a businessman's dream. He 'wins' just about all of his trades and has turned an ageing Bobcats roster into a young, good value, Hornets roster (Howard's soon-to-be-expiring contract aside). I just don't see the problem with the job he's done and therefore cannot fathom how he's on the hot seat.

Great now look at this from a money spending business owner perspective. I have a top 10 payroll and I missed the playoffs - someone has wasted my gotdang money. Don't look at it from a "no money on the line fan perspective" (which is the overwhelming preferred perspective on this board) and you will see that somebody who needs to be fired is living on barrowed time.

#18 ncborn Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:16 PM

ncborn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Joined 01-July 17

The fact of the matter is the path we've chosen is the hardest path in the NBA. A small market team trying to compete without a star. I think this path is directly handed down from ownership - so in this sense, one could argue MJ is more to blame than Cho.

I agree to a point. Why are we hell bent on slow lumbering oversized centers when the Cavs (winners) and warriors (winners) have showed the world a different path? The two top teams in the league have fast mobile and yes undersized centers. (I am talking d green and tristan t.) We are still looking for Hakeem Olajuwon - 90s style.

Don't forget that NC is not a top destination for a young, tall and RICH kid. Our location works against us but the presence of MJ helps.

#19 spaceshoes Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:15 PM

spaceshoes

Al "The Beast" Jefferson

• Members
  • 984 posts
  • Joined 12-August 15
  • LocationFort Mill, SC
Two years ago we took a risk and signed Lin. That reclamation project worked. Last year, we tried again and missed. Some risks have to be taken. Can't win them all. We just ended up with two signings that ended up not working out. Even with that we were a healthy Zeller away from the playoffs.

#20 Adam42R Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:39 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,824 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
Space, recall this isn't only that young of a practice; Kwame Brown, Shaun Livingston, Al Jefferson to a degree, and then Lin and Hibbert. We have a decent history now of reclamation projects.
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users