#21 InProblematique Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:50 PM

InProblematique

Al's Questionable Shots Gave Me a Hangover

• Honorary Beagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,876 posts
  • Joined 05-June 13
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Two years ago we took a risk and signed Lin. That reclamation project worked. Last year, we tried again and missed. Some risks have to be taken. Can't win them all. We just ended up with two signings that ended up not working out. Even with that we were a healthy Zeller away from the playoffs.

It's worth mentioning that while the reclamation of Hibbert didn't directly work out, we did turn him and Hawes into Plumlee, who was half of what turned into Dwight Howard.

Howard might be something of a reclamation project, but I sure as shit like his ability to return to former glory more than Hibbert.

Six Words/PP11

Posted Image

#22 spaceshoes Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:03 PM

spaceshoes

Al "The Beast" Jefferson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • Joined 12-August 15
  • LocationFort Mill, SC
Right guys, that was my point, and thanks for bringing up more guys. I didn't follow the NBA much during the Bobcat era. We've had quite a few successes with these projects. So we missed on one. Missed on Stephenson as well. But, even while missing, Cho turned them into something. As a wise man once said, you always have to give yourself an out.

#23 Adam42R Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:05 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,824 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

As a wise man once said, you always have to give yourself an out.

Through the roof... or the ceiling?

Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#24 kitch0202 Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:51 AM

kitch0202

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• Members
  • 873 posts
  • Joined 22-December 11
  • LocationLondon, England.

Great now look at this from a money spending business owner perspective. I have a top 10 payroll and I missed the playoffs - someone has wasted my gotdang money. Don't look at it from a "no money on the line fan perspective" (which is the overwhelming preferred perspective on this board) and you will see that somebody who needs to be fired is living on barrowed time.

We had injuries to key players that caused us to miss the playoffs. I get the impression from your posts thus far that you'll think something along the lines of 'that's just an excuse and MJ won't buy it' ... whereas I see it as a simple, undeniable fact. I would also assert that my view matches that of a pragmatic businessman, looking at things from a medium-to-long-term perspective, rather than that of a reactionary short term view.

A pragmatic look at our roster tells you we have invested our money wisely. Whatever your views on our core young players, none of them are overpaid. That is a rarity in this league. We've had an offseason which has seen us transform Sessions/Belinelli/Plumlee into MCW/Monk/Howard and we'll have one of the largest expiring contracts in the league next season and don't owe any picks (I think ...). The trajectory of this team is clearly headed in the right direction and a rational, savvy, business minded individual will see that.

I assert we're an MKG for Avery Bradley trade away from a deep playoff run. Kemba, Bradley, Batum, Frank, Howard & MCW, Monk, Lamb, Marv, Cody looks damn good to me!

I just don't subscribe to your way of thinking and that's just fine. This board would be boring if we all agreed.

"If we didn't have usernames, you would probably get in an argument with yourself" adam187

"The only time wasting delusion is engaging you with conversation on this website.  but I'm free till lunch biatch so lets roll." Mustachio

#25 Chef Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:10 AM

Chef

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,105 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

I assert we're an MKG for Avery Bradley trade away from a deep playoff run. Kemba, Bradley, Batum, Frank, Howard & MCW, Monk, Lamb, Marv, Cody looks damn good to me!

I just don't subscribe to your way of thinking and that's just fine. This board would be boring if we all agreed.

why on earth would you do this? boston NEEDS to get rid of bradley. lamb is a salary match and on the bench. third team with space absorbs lamb. takes a boston treasure chest pick (not a good one) and a 2nd from charlotte. bradley comes in AND you keep MKG.

#26 kitch0202 Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:20 AM

kitch0202

• Members
  • 873 posts
  • Joined 22-December 11
  • LocationLondon, England.

why on earth would you do this? boston NEEDS to get rid of bradley. lamb is a salary match and on the bench. third team with space absorbs lamb. takes a boston treasure chest pick (not a good one) and a 2nd from charlotte. bradley comes in AND you keep MKG.

My comment was more about us being one starting Wing away from having a very strong starting 5 and Bradley being available than anything else. If that can be done using Lamb in the type of package you suggest instead of MKG, absolutely do it and don't think twice. I would have thought it would take a better player than Lamb to get Bradley in a 3 way trade, but if I'm wrong, I'm very happy to be wrong.

EDIT: It also looks as though reports of Jae Crowder heading to the Jazz were premature ... as I've said before, I'd love him on this team. Archetypal 3&D Wing.

"If we didn't have usernames, you would probably get in an argument with yourself" adam187

"The only time wasting delusion is engaging you with conversation on this website.  but I'm free till lunch biatch so lets roll." Mustachio

#27 Chef Posted 07 July 2017 - 08:34 AM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,105 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

My comment was more about us being one starting Wing away from having a very strong starting 5 and Bradley being available than anything else. If that can be done using Lamb in the type of package you suggest instead of MKG, absolutely do it and don't think twice. I would have thought it would take a better player than Lamb to get Bradley in a 3 way trade, but if I'm wrong, I'm very happy to be wrong.

EDIT: It also looks as though reports of Jae Crowder heading to the Jazz were premature ... as I've said before, I'd love him on this team. Archetypal 3&D Wing.

i would do lamb and an uprotected 1st for crowder. again, it will take a third team to absorb lamb and probably would require a couple of 2nds to that team.

#28 pellom Posted 07 July 2017 - 08:52 AM

pellom

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,058 posts
  • Joined 24-May 14
I'm not really interested in Crowder with MKG still on the roster. Give me Bradley or Smart and I'm in.

I've mentioned this before, but I really like Rozier (as a 3rd PG) and we could offer a highly protected 2nd rounder and take him into our trade exception.

#29 Adam42R Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:01 AM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,824 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
Wrong thread
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#30 ncborn Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:28 AM

ncborn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Joined 01-July 17
Wrong thread indeed!

#31 ncborn Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:54 AM

ncborn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Joined 01-July 17

We had injuries to key players that caused us to miss the playoffs. I get the impression from your posts thus far that you'll think something along the lines of 'that's just an excuse and MJ won't buy it' ... whereas I see it as a simple, undeniable fact. I would also assert that my view matches that of a pragmatic businessman, looking at things from a medium-to-long-term perspective, rather than that of a reactionary short term view.

Exactly! MJ has NEVER been anybody's chump. Nice guy in Cho, a trade that gets you an aging C who is viewed as JOKE by the non-hornets fans, one the other excuses posted don't mean jack when you see you money go down the drain.

A pragmatic look at our roster tells you we have invested our money wisely. Whatever your views on our core young players, none of them are overpaid. That is a rarity in this league. We've had an offseason which has seen us transform Sessions/Belinelli/Plumlee into MCW/Monk/Howard and we'll have one of the largest expiring contracts in the league next season and don't owe any picks (I think ...). The trajectory of this team is clearly headed in the right direction and a rational, savvy, business minded individual will see that.

That is part of the problem we can't afford the contract of a star because has so much money locked up on guys like Marvin and Howard. When you've spent that kind of money then going sub .500 its a serious problem.

Plus we have/had a win now roster that didn't win. Next time is good enough for us but it might be good enough for the front office.

#32 Mustachio Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:04 AM

Mustachio

• Honorary Beagle

• 5,847 posts
  • Joined 11-July 06

Guys, Cho is as good as gone.   He spent almost the whole cap.   If we're gonna lose we should at least only spend like 200 dollars ya know.  

1473823917480.gif

Into the crevasse!

"Climb down Lemon, Climb down"Posted Image

#33 buckets Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:24 AM

buckets

• Honorary Beagle

• 4,784 posts
  • Joined 27-June 15

Feels relevant.

BQLzRUb.png

#Chodidthemath

#34 Demon DeaCat Posted 08 July 2017 - 04:55 PM

Demon DeaCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Joined 17-April 09

Cho has turned crap into acquiring Dwight Howard.

While I think Cho has done a decent job, let's not forget the fact that he acquired the crap that he eventually turned into Howard by executing what was possibly the worst trade in franchise history. It was a nice save, but he only gets partial credit for that one.

#35 Adam42R Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:53 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,824 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

While I think Cho has done a decent job, let's not forget the fact that he acquired the crap that he eventually turned into Howard by executing what was possibly the worst trade in franchise history. It was a nice save, but he only gets partial credit for that one.

This is amazingly narrow minded and bears little resemblance to reality.

#36 ncborn Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:38 PM

ncborn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Joined 01-July 17

Feels relevant.

BQLzRUb.png

Today I read an article that said that the roster cost now stands at 113. What is the source of your number? I've been using USA Today's hoops hype for my 110 number.

#37 Airtank Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:36 PM

Airtank

Sean May... Krispy-Kreme MVP

• Members
  • 775 posts
  • Joined 11-December 12
Im enjoying the stability of the Hornets. The locker room and the front office are on one page, see MCW. Cho & Cliff should see this thing through.

#38 Adam42R Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:50 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,824 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

This is amazingly narrow minded and bears little resemblance to reality.

To clarify because I realize this comes off as terse and insulting... It's mostly a reaction to what I find as an overly simplistic and hyperbolic comment that I don't expect around here.  

Cho took on a player to help us make the playoffs* as we were a completely different team with Cody healthy vs. a scratch.  Plumlee solved two problems, one is that he's a very similar player to Cody so pluggable and two that he allowed us to unload a gimpy Hibbert** and likely-to-opt-in Hawes.  Before the Plumlee contract could ever in fact be bad, we used it to trade for a former All Star rim protector that we have wanted.  Without that contract (and possibly player position), who knows if we can make that trade with ATL for Howard.  Additionally, as I understand the cap at play here, that move pushed us over the cap but kept us under the tax such that we had the max MLE available to us and unclear to me if we'd have had the BAE either.  How or that we use the exceptions is less important to me than the fact we gave ourselves the option.

So when I say narrow minded and not bearing resemblance to reality, I am particularly taking issue with the notion that he "saved" himself with what he did as if the act of having that contract to trade wasn't in fact a) part of a tactical plan*** and B) key to a strategic move that I challenge anyone to suggest has a negative taint to it.

* You can argue that you didn't want us to make the playoffs but your job as a GM in most instances is to do so.

** Hibbert, if you chose to argue was a bad move was a low risk, potentially moderate reward that didn't work due to injury

*** Injury is not something one should be judged on the efficacy of a sign or trade IMO

#39 buckets Posted 08 July 2017 - 09:33 PM

buckets

• Honorary Beagle

• 4,784 posts
  • Joined 27-June 15

Today I read an article that said that the roster cost now stands at 113. What is the source of your number?

My source is 2016-17. I was simply pointing out the unintended humor.

Great now look at this from a money spending business owner perspective. Don't look at it from a "no money on the line fan perspective" (which is the overwhelming preferred perspective on this board) 

I am surprised by the number of people who think that spending 110 million while missing the playoffs is acceptable. 

So the goodwill that Cho has built up will only last so long when you have tossed $110 million at a non play off team. That's not pesonal (as some of you have gotten because you don't like my posts) its simple economics 101......Heck that ain't even economics that's street survival 101!

#Chodidthemath

#40 ncborn Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:36 AM

ncborn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Joined 01-July 17
Hey I like those quotes too. They are focused on business and personnel management side of the game. Not as exciting but equally important.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users