GeraldWallaceMVP

Dwight's Only Fan

• 1000+ posts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC

http://www.espn.com/...ng-kemba-walker

Overloaded with bad contracts and untradable assets, the Charlotte Hornets have made All-Star point guard Kemba Walker available in trade discussions, league sources told ESPN.

Charlotte has been encouraging teams to make offers and appear eager to discuss attaching Walker to a larger trade where another team takes on one of the Hornets' several far less desirable contracts, sources said.

Walker, 27, who makes $12 million per season through 2018-19, has developed into something rare among Charlotte's cornerstone players: a talent whose production outperforms his pay stub. Walker is the Hornets' best, most popular and culture-driving player.

Ultimately, Charlotte knows that trading Walker in any deal would be a reset for the franchise.

The Hornets had already made available Nicolas Batum (four years, $100 million), Dwight Howard (two years, $47 million), Marvin Williams (three years, $42 million) and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (three years, $39 million), league sources said, but those players and their contracts are largely unattractive in the marketplace.

Walker, a 2017 Eastern Conference All-Star selection, is averaging 21.7 points on 42 percent shooting and 5.8 assists per game. He was Charlotte's first-round pick in the 2011 NBA draft.

Charlotte is 11th in the East with an 18-25 record -- four games behind the Detroit Pistons and Philadelphia 76ers, who are currently tied for the eighth playoff spot in the conference. For the first time in 21 games after suffering from severe headaches caused largely by sleep deprivation, coach Steve Clifford returned Wednesday night and coached a victory over the Washington Wizards.

#2 jfoster Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:12 AM

jfoster

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,337 posts
  • Joined 25-April 14
  • LocationGreenville, South Carolina
NOOOOOOOOO! MJ pulling the plug? Idk if I really believe it.

#3 Buzzau Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:29 AM

Buzzau

Crash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Joined 04-November 15
  • LocationMelbourne, Aus
If Kemba goes Cho better be out the door behind him.

#4 Chef Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:40 AM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,336 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08
Now that woj is with espn, I think he is getting the bs treatment from gm's. He is a diversion now

#5 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:55 AM

GeraldWallaceMVP

Dwight's Only Fan

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,184 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
If we’re trading kemba we need to trade him for his full value not attach a shitty contract with him. By the time we’re done rebuilding, all the bad contracts will be gone expect Batum

#6 cltblkhscoach Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:00 AM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,155 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06

Cliff said the other day never say never, but the impression I get is unless they're wowed by an offer, Kemba isn't going anywhere. However, if they get a great deal where they can dump 1-2 bad contracts and use Kemba as the bait, they'll pull the trigger. It's always smart to explore your options, but unless we get something really good, I don't think anything significant happens. 

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#7 Mich_Mercer Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:00 AM

Mich_Mercer

Jeff "Sure I'll Start" McInnis

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,186 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC
I see no reason to trade MKG. We won't get close to what he's worth. I don't get why this is finally coming out when we've actually been playing better.

But I feel like we won't get fair value for anyone. So I'm fine just leaving it as is, and give Monk some actually meaningful minutes, before we completely zap his confidence.

#8 mrtarheel Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:01 AM

mrtarheel

Crash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Joined 05-March 08

There goes my season tickets

#9 Chef Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:09 AM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,336 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

I see no reason to trade MKG. We won't get close to what he's worth. I don't get why this is finally coming out when we've actually been playing better.

I ask everyone, how long has woj been a reporter? How many times (as the best reporter around) has he ever early scooped a hornets deal?
Then ask, how many times has "sources say" espn, incorrectly scooped deals (not just charlotte deals but league deals)?

I have been following the hornets for 12 years now and under all managements they are extremely tight lipped. Things just don't leak. Even to strong independent reporters like woj. Now that he is with "we make stuff up and nobody ever calls us on it" espn, he is all of a sudden scooping things. Coincidence that it is all behind the "insider" for pay part, I think not.
He is being fed misinformation, I would bet on it.
Of course, charlotte would listen to any deal, but this is written as they are calling teams.

#10 Mich_Mercer Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:27 AM

Mich_Mercer

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,186 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC

I ask everyone, how long has woj been a reporter? How many times (as the best reporter around) has he ever early scooped a hornets deal?
Then ask, how many times has "sources say" espn, incorrectly scooped deals (not just charlotte deals but league deals)?

I have been following the hornets for 12 years now and under all managements they are extremely tight lipped. Things just don't leak. Even to strong independent reporters like woj. Now that he is with "we make stuff up and nobody ever calls us on it" espn, he is all of a sudden scooping things. Coincidence that it is all behind the "insider" for pay part, I think not.
He is being fed misinformation, I would bet on it.
Of course, charlotte would listen to any deal, but this is written as they are calling teams.

That was my first thought when I saw the article this morning, until I read it. It's written as if it's pretty much a done deal. Could it be written just for the rumors people have been coming up with for weeks now?

#11 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:27 AM

GeraldWallaceMVP

Dwight's Only Fan

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,184 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
Keep MKG he is 24 and has the right mentality and effort for the new young players to look up to

#12 buckets Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:43 AM

buckets

• Honorary Beagle

• 4,987 posts
  • Joined 27-June 15

I wouldn't necessarily assume the willingness to attach larger salaries is solely for salary dump purposes. Kemba's cap figure is only $12M -- for all we know Marvin's additional salary expands the potential number of trade partners. For example, exploring an Oladipo-Sabonis hybrid return of a young player on a larger salary plus a draft pick. Another possibility is clearing a little future space to acquire a 2018 expiring, a desirable 2018 RFA needing to be re-signed, and a pick. 

Or just shoot me a complicated maneuver to land the $150M owed to Andrew Wiggins.

Or it's absolutely nothing as Chef has mentioned.

#Chodidthemath

#13 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:48 AM

GeraldWallaceMVP

Dwight's Only Fan

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,184 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
Frank Kaminsky going onto WFNZ 610 am at 12:15

#14 Potato Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:54 AM

Potato

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,059 posts
  • Joined 03-May 12

I'd hate to see him go and I greatly appreciate all he's done for this team and city, his passion can't be questioned.  But he deserves better, and honestly we AS FANS deserve better.  People keep saying "this would be awful for the fans" is winning 35 games per year not already pretty damn bad? So fans are really okay with just being mediocre as long as we have one all star player to watch?  I can lose 15 more games a year if it means we just have the outside chance of building something that's even close to what the Sixers currently have.  Winning 35 games a year is just as painful for me as winning 20 games.  Hell I'd argue it's more painful, at least when you're a 20 win team you have something to look forward to in the draft.

My opinions about my sports teams are almost as bad as my sports teams.  Rap music fan.

Hornets

Panthers

San Diego Padres

Liverpool

USMNT

#15 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:01 PM

GeraldWallaceMVP

Dwight's Only Fan

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,184 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15

I'd hate to see him go and I greatly appreciate all he's done for this team and city, his passion can't be questioned. But he deserves better, and honestly we AS FANS deserve better. People keep saying "this would be awful for the fans" is winning 35 games per year not already pretty damn bad? So fans are really okay with just being mediocre as long as we have one all star player to watch? I can lose 15 more games a year if it means we just have the outside chance of building something that's even close to what the Sixers currently have. Winning 35 games a year is just as painful for me as winning 20 games. Hell I'd argue it's more painful, at least when you're a 20 win team you have something to look forward to in the draft.

Greatest post this topic will have all day

#16 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:03 PM

GeraldWallaceMVP

Dwight's Only Fan

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,184 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
Kemba Walker says he would be “devastated” if he is traded

#17 Mustachio Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:07 PM

Mustachio

• Honorary Beagle

• 5,945 posts
  • Joined 11-July 06
If Kemba wants to stay, I can't sign off on a deal. I'd rather be mediocre than spit in our franchise best ever players face.

That's said....

New Orleans is gonna lose AD as soon as he can get away. Make that work and I'll live with it haha.
Into the crevasse!

"Climb down Lemon, Climb down"Posted Image

#18 dnbman Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:09 PM

dnbman

Existential Crisis Manager

• Moderators

• 5,940 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07
There are probably only a handful of guys in the NBA relatively immune from trade talks. My guess would be that Kemba would only be included in homerun type trade scenarios, and they’re doing their job in putting feelers out for these type trades. Not stressing it.

#19 pellom Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:09 PM

pellom

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,310 posts
  • Joined 24-May 14

I'd hate to see him go and I greatly appreciate all he's done for this team and city, his passion can't be questioned. But he deserves better, and honestly we AS FANS deserve better. People keep saying "this would be awful for the fans" is winning 35 games per year not already pretty damn bad? So fans are really okay with just being mediocre as long as we have one all star player to watch? I can lose 15 more games a year if it means we just have the outside chance of building something that's even close to what the Sixers currently have. Winning 35 games a year is just as painful for me as winning 20 games. Hell I'd argue it's more painful, at least when you're a 20 win team you have something to look forward to in the draft.

Bingo.

But also, there's a way to tank AND keep Kemba if he wants to stay through the process. It may take a bit longer but it's an option.

#20 Hornets85 Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:28 PM

Hornets85

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Joined 29-October 14
  • LocationMaplewood, NJ

Why get rid of a player who's improved his game every year he's been in the league culminating with his first all-star selection last season and wants to be here? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users