182 replies to this topic

#21 Chef Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:34 PM

Chef

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Honorary Beagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,288 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

Why get rid of a player who's improved his game every year he's been in the league culminating with his first all-star selection last season and wants to be here? 

I'd hate to see him go and I greatly appreciate all he's done for this team and city, his passion can't be questioned.  But he deserves better, and honestly we AS FANS deserve better.  People keep saying "this would be awful for the fans" is winning 35 games per year not already pretty damn bad? So fans are really okay with just being mediocre as long as we have one all star player to watch?  I can lose 15 more games a year if it means we just have the outside chance of building something that's even close to what the Sixers currently have.  Winning 35 games a year is just as painful for me as winning 20 games.  Hell I'd argue it's more painful, at least when you're a 20 win team you have something to look forward to in the draft.

If Kemba wants to stay, I can't sign off on a deal. I'd rather be mediocre than spit in our franchise best ever players face.

That's said....

New Orleans is gonna lose AD as soon as he can get away. Make that work and I'll live with it haha.

Why get rid of a player who's improved his game every year he's been in the league culminating with his first all-star selection last season and wants to be here? 

disagree potato. i get the notion, i do. but i don't have another 7 win season in me. i enjoy watching kemba play basketball. i love that he loves charlotte when most players of his caliber would have already forced their way out. i love that he has a chip on his shoulder and that chip involves wanting to carry charlotte through to a winning franchise. 

i am not sure there is a player that will end up as good as kemba is now in this year's draft. i would rather watch a 35 win team than a terrible team with a ton of young players for the next 3-5 years.

#22 jfoster Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:43 PM

jfoster

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,337 posts
  • Joined 25-April 14
  • LocationGreenville, South Carolina

#23 Bogg Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:04 PM

Bogg

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,223 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
I'll preface this by saying that I don't actually think Charlotte is going to trade Kemba and that if he really wants to stay long-term he'll get a fat extension this summer.

That being said, playing devil's advocate: Kemba's turning 28 this season and the track record of little guys heading into their 30s isn't great (Boston fans debated this ad nauseum regarding IT last season). If the Charlotte front office doesn't think this team is some good health and a roleplayer or two away from pushing 50+ wins, and instead believes a more intensive rebuild is necessary, they may also not think Kemba will be able to carry a playoff team in his age 30-33 seasons and want to get out from under the near-max deal that's coming while kickstarting a rebuild with some extra draft capital. If you really could get, like, Frank the Frank, Hernangomez, the Knicks' own first-rounder, and the Bulls' second-rounder that the Knicks currently hold that's a potentially not-terrible start to a young core without having to completely start over from scratch.

#24 WIAN Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:34 PM

WIAN

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,058 posts
  • Joined 01-November 08
If we had a team with cap friendly contracts this deal would have been done. But we don't so other than a small move here or there I can't see this major move on the horizon.

#25 Elden Payton Posted 19 January 2018 - 04:44 PM

Elden Payton

The Dust Chip

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Joined 05-November 11
I'm not sure of the validity of this and although Woj is as reputable as they come in terms of sports journalism, he's hardly had any Charlotte "scoops" that I can recall.

That said, it would be remiss if we didn't consider trading Kemba.

I've been reading the meltdown on Realgm and it's pretty sad IMO, the amount of UCONN fans who claim that they won't watch Charlotte games again is pretty hilarious, as if they watched Charlotte games before we drafted him anyway.

We don't even need to attach bad contracts (which will lower his value) as without him all our bad contracts will be expired by the time we make the playoffs again.

Kemba has more value than a lot of posts (on RGM) would suggest.

I like the idea of a Denver or New York trade.

Murray + Lyles + Faried + first

(Too much value perhaps)

Ntilikina + Thomas + Hernangomez + first

(More realistic value)

If we do a trade with Cleveland then I don't want Kemba to be involved at all.

Dwight for Thompson (or TPE) + CLE first is my preferred.

#26 trix62 Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:10 PM

trix62

Primoz "Gangsta" Brezec

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Joined 05-March 13

To me this is devasting news, yet the only good thing is he hasnt been traded just yet.  Sick of all the youtubers i watch saying "free Kemba"   or "trade Kemba" for weeks now .

#27 Founding Hornet Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:29 PM

Founding Hornet

Cardiac Kemba Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Joined 11-July 14
I said a couple weeks ago that anything could happen and that FO was buzzing and no one was safe.

With that being said, I do not expect anything to happen unless we get a high first and a young talent in a trade.

I don’t see Kemba going anywhere.

#28 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:43 PM

GeraldWallaceMVP

Dwight's Only Fan

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,109 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC
I feel like the organization wouldn’t let anything leak without reason. We are usually very tight lipped

#29 cltblkhscoach Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:00 PM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,138 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
Yeah, the organization wanted this out there for sure. But they wont make a move unless its slam dunk value. And no one is giving us that value except for maybe Cleveland because a lot of teams just aren't desperate.

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#30 Icky Thump Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:05 PM

Icky Thump

Sean May... Krispy-Kreme MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Joined 28-June 07

I swear on all things if Kemba Walker is traded for crap pieces... if you thought my hatred of Nic Batum was high before.... OMG. This shit sits almost squarely on his BS contract and lack of production in the aftermath. Yes, the building of the team has NOT come together but that contract was the downturn to this whole thing. I'd never thought we'd be in this position with Kemba as great as he has been with this team, organization and city.

The fact that they're putting this out there and seeing Kemba's reaction to it just pisses me right the f' off. Why put that on -your- guy who seems to clearly want to be here just to get it out there in the media if they didn't have real intentions of blowing this shit up. :mad2:

T73It2l.gifTime to nut up or shut up!

#31 pellom Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:23 PM

pellom

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,266 posts
  • Joined 24-May 14
After seeing all the rumors come out about George Hill, Kemba and Lou Williams, it's pretty obvious someone in Cleveland's front office is blabbing this stuff.

#32 Chef Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:30 PM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,288 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

POPULAR

I'm not sure of the validity of this and although Woj is as reputable as they come in terms of sports journalism, he's hardly had any Charlotte "scoops" that I can recall.

That said, it would be remiss if we didn't consider trading Kemba.

I've been reading the meltdown on Realgm and it's pretty sad IMO, the amount of UCONN fans who claim that they won't watch Charlotte games again is pretty hilarious, as if they watched Charlotte games before we drafted him anyway.

If the hornets traded kemba and went full rebuild, I think I am done.

Look back at my posts about kemba. There were plenty of times that bogg and I were the lone voices in severe criticism of kemba starting and / or developin into a too tier pg. He actually made all the improvements I said he needed to make. He has worked and willed himself into a real player. Not only that but he is one of the few warriors in the league. A throw back personality. An old school mindset in a millennial generation. No way do I want to see him go. If he goes I hope he goes to the cavs. Do him right.
I hate to say it but if the team gives up on him, I am giving up on the team.

#33 WIAN Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:31 PM

WIAN

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,058 posts
  • Joined 01-November 08

After seeing all the rumors come out about George Hill, Kemba and Lou Williams, it's pretty obvious someone in Cleveland's front office is blabbing this stuff.

Definitely has a throw it against wall and see if sticks feel. Lou is a rental, George is break glass in case of emergency and from our POV how do you face the fanbase with a Kemba trade.

#34 pellom Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:48 PM

pellom

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,266 posts
  • Joined 24-May 14

Definitely has a throw it against wall and see if sticks feel. Lou is a rental, George is break glass in case of emergency and from our POV how do you face the fanbase with a Kemba trade.

I think LeBron is unhappy with IT and the front office wants it to be known they're working to replace him.

#35 Bogg Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:49 PM

Bogg

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,223 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12

I swear on all things if Kemba Walker is traded for crap pieces... if you thought my hatred of Nic Batum was high before.... OMG. This shit sits almost squarely on his BS contract and lack of production in the aftermath. Yes, the building of the team has NOT come together but that contract was the downturn to this whole thing.

Nic's a symptom, not the problem (same thing with Dwight). The issue was/is that lackluster drafting (outside of Kemba) and the failure to capitalize on...certain opportunities...to re-stock the cupboard of trade chips left Charlotte digging through the bargain bin when trying to put front-line guys next to Kemba. There's a reason Charlotte was able to get Nic for an expiring and a reclamation project - it wasn't because Cho was working over the league, Portland elected to pass on a career supporting cast guy getting his third contract in the middle of the cap boom and got out while they could. You could see that Nic's next contract was going to be a problem in the middle of his career contract season. Dwight's not actually here because Clifford thought he could turn him back into Orlando Dwight, he's here as a desperation heave because Atlanta was giving him away and Charlotte didn't have much to offer other than matching contracts. 

#36 WIAN Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:05 PM

WIAN

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,058 posts
  • Joined 01-November 08
I feel Dwight was a save face for that ridiculous Plumlee deal. I'll take the return so far all things considered. Just can't see Kemba being moved by a GM that will be looking for work in a few months. Doesn't sit well with me.

#37 nowhere fast Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:42 PM

nowhere fast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Joined 16-May 17

If Dwight's a chip then so's Kemba.  $24M expiring in Kemba's contract year.

#38 nowhere fast Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:44 PM

nowhere fast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Joined 16-May 17

I feel Dwight was a save face for that ridiculous Plumlee deal. I'll take the return so far all things considered. Just can't see Kemba being moved by a GM that will be looking for work in a few months. Doesn't sit well with me.

This.  Just can't see how Kemba leaves and Cho stays.

#39 Adam42R Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:15 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 7,253 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

So Ian Begley says we'd like to engage the Knicks but we aren't talking with them.  Mike Fisher says we've reached out to the Mavs about facilitating a deal (but that they - Dallas - are not interested in Kemba).  And Woj with the original piece is saying that we are hopeful that Kemba could bring back "a good young player or a first-round draft pick."  Add in the idea that Clifford would have some say in the situation, yet be unaware (regarding his response to RB this morning) is a bit curious.  It certainly reads as if it's a bit more than exploratory and it certainly sounds like Cliff is either deflecting in the moment or isn't as included as he would think.  

I am utterly confused at this point.  Does the FO have plans to make that Cliff included in the discussion part soon irrelevant?  Did the FO reach out to Dallas to ask if they would help broker a three-way deal that would allow the Knicks to take on Kemba while not absorbing one of the contracts we don't now like in a sense of due diligence because of the mountain of good that somehow would bring?  Or are we war dialing everyone outside of the Mad Ants to see if we could send [Marvin or Nic or MKG or Dwight] away by attaching Kemba?

Regardless of all that, when I read that original Woj quote literally, focusing in on the "or" and think we could possibly be satisfied with selling Kemba for a first round draft pick, I am pretty damned happy that the ST renewal date comes after the trade deadline. 

Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#40 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:33 PM

GeraldWallaceMVP

Dwight's Only Fan

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,109 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC

Fuck  shedding a bad contract get Frank and a pick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users