2 replies to this topic

#1 raginranger Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:30 AM

raginranger

Ben "Humble Yoursefl" Gordon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Joined 25-July 14

Yes, that's right, I believe Charlotte Hornets fans are suffering from the dreaded PMS.  Perpetual Mediocrity Syndrome.

In 27 seasons of basketball (Hornets & Bobcats), we have missed the playoffs 17 times (63%).  In the 10 seasons we DID make the playoffs, we lost in in the 1st round 6 of those times.  (60%) 

Only 4 seasons in our entire history have we advanced past the 1st round of the playoffs.

I get that people here have an emotional attachment to Kemba.  He's very fun to watch and is a total class act.  I hear he does great things for the community as well.  That said...he doesn't have a great assist ratio for a PG and I don't think he's a player that truly makes everyone around him better.  Batum had that ability for 1 freak year, but seems to have lost it after getting P-A-I-D (as biggie smalls would say).

The decks are stacked against small market teams in today's NBA.  Superteams have ruined the competitive balance of the sport.  The only way a small market team can get ahead is with excellent drafting and/or coaching.  Clearly the Hornets have neither of that.  I don't think there's another team in the NBA who has missed on so many top 10 draft picks.  It's possible we may never be an NBA title contending team but we could at least be a respectable small market team like an OKC or Portland (pretty sure both cities are smaller than us).

I think so many of our fans are so used to the mediocre history that we've become complacent.  Watching 1 star put up good numbers and lose doesn't do it for me.  I want to win.  If the only way to achieve that is trade Kemba, tank, and rebuild through the draft, then I think that's an option we have to explore.

#2 jfoster Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:33 PM

jfoster

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• 1000+ posts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts
  • Joined 25-April 14
  • LocationGreenville, South Carolina

Yes, that's right, I believe Charlotte Hornets fans are suffering from the dreaded PMS. Perpetual Mediocrity Syndrome.

In 27 seasons of basketball (Hornets & Bobcats), we have missed the playoffs 17 times (63%). In the 10 seasons we DID make the playoffs, we lost in in the 1st round 6 of those times. (60%)

Only 4 seasons in our entire history have we advanced past the 1st round of the playoffs.

I get that people here have an emotional attachment to Kemba. He's very fun to watch and is a total class act. I hear he does great things for the community as well. That said...he doesn't have a great assist ratio for a PG and I don't think he's a player that truly makes everyone around him better. Batum had that ability for 1 freak year, but seems to have lost it after getting P-A-I-D (as biggie smalls would say).

The decks are stacked against small market teams in today's NBA. Superteams have ruined the competitive balance of the sport. The only way a small market team can get ahead is with excellent drafting and/or coaching. Clearly the Hornets have neither of that. I don't think there's another team in the NBA who has missed on so many top 10 draft picks. It's possible we may never be an NBA title contending team but we could at least be a respectable small market team like an OKC or Portland (pretty sure both cities are smaller than us).

I think so many of our fans are so used to the mediocre history that we've become complacent. Watching 1 star put up good numbers and lose doesn't do it for me. I want to win. If the only way to achieve that is trade Kemba, tank, and rebuild through the draft, then I think that's an option we have to explore.

For reasons you stated above is why I believe that going through another rebuild just isn't feasible right now. This team just started getting fans back in the stands, sponsors back on board. I remember going to a bobcat game that didn't include a marquee team (think bobcats vs magic) and a low attendance night now looks like a sold out arena that night. It was THAT BAD.

Now the roster. Sure we can say blow it up and rebuild but we have nic batum 23 million a year, Dwight Howard 22 million a year, Marvin, cody,mkg at 12-13 million and you see we have a mediocre team right at the luxury tax line full of players that NOBODY wants! So if we trade them we are looking at more likely including draft picks.. not getting any back. Trading kemba won't get us enough in return to actually start a reboot.

I'm actually in favor of starting over but when you look at it as a whole. I just don't see how they could do it without losing the very little fans they have, trying to make a profit for the all star game and generally keeping the team in the green.. besides do you really trust this front office/coaching staff to be able to pick and groom the right players to lead this team???? I sure as hell dont.

#3 jfoster Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:36 PM

jfoster

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• 1000+ posts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts
  • Joined 25-April 14
  • LocationGreenville, South Carolina

Yes, that's right, I believe Charlotte Hornets fans are suffering from the dreaded PMS. Perpetual Mediocrity Syndrome.

In 27 seasons of basketball (Hornets & Bobcats), we have missed the playoffs 17 times (63%). In the 10 seasons we DID make the playoffs, we lost in in the 1st round 6 of those times. (60%)

I get that people here have an emotional attachment to Kemba. He's very fun to watch and is a total class act. I hear he does great things for the community as well. That said...he doesn't have a great assist ratio for a PG and I don't think he's a player that truly makes everyone around him better. Batum had that ability for 1 freak year, but seems to have lost it after getting P-A-I-D (as biggie smalls would say).

The decks are stacked against small market teams in today's NBA. Superteams have ruined the competitive balance of the sport. The only way a small market team can get ahead is with excellent drafting and/or coaching. Clearly the Hornets have neither of that. I don't think there's another team in the NBA who has missed on so many top 10 draft picks. It's possible we may never be an NBA title contending team but we could at least be a respectable small market team like an OKC or Portland (pretty sure both cities are smaller than us).

I think so many of our fans are so used to the mediocre history that we've become complacent. Watching 1 star put up good numbers and lose doesn't do it for me. I want to win. If the only way to achieve that is trade Kemba, tank, and rebuild through the draft, then I think that's an option we have to explore.

I agree on the PMS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users