53 replies to this topic

#41 cltblkhscoach Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:03 PM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
I think Cliff is so enamored with defense and rim protection he keeps him out there and will sacrifice offensive execution to have floor balance defensively.

Thats just my thought process, and I dont agree with it, just trying to make sense of it strategically.

A change at the All Star Break wouldnt surprise me. Might be a blessing in disguise for Cliff and the health issues too. He cant be relaxing too well with the results of these last few games.

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#42 QC Thundercats Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:23 PM

QC Thundercats

Quality Control

• Honorary Beagle

• 2,039 posts
  • Joined 01-June 12

Predictable.  If we're the team chasing all game and can't get over the hump, we'll end up losing.  We only win games win we sprint out to big leads and hold on at the end.

Cliff, for all his great intangibles, his great preparation, player relations, understanding of analytics and matchups, has no feel for the game.  For those that follow the Panthers, he seems like Mike Shula, who knows offensive plays, gets along with guys, but cannot react to changes in defensive strategy or how to impose a gameplan to keep another team on its toes.

If you listen to his interviews, he is so knowledgeable and likeable, I just don't understand what he sees out there.  I know he watches film and analyzes advanced stats.  But again with the 5 subs to start the second, instead of staggering starters all game.  Kemba didn't even get in until 4 and a half minutes left in the 4th which is absurd.  Nic either I think.  And Frank deserved to play the final stretch of the game.  They couldn't stop fouling him, and he would've been a much better pick and pop guy with Kemba.

Kemba was fouled on that last drive.  Got raked on the arms, then his head, and the ref couldn't be bothered.  I thought once you finally cracked an all star team, you get the benefit of the doubt on calls.  Only got to the line once when it was 20 seconds left.  Also, refs fell for blatant flop by unibrow to get offensive foul on dwight.  Whenever a player has that severe back bend pretending they are being pushed way over, that should be a signal to refs that acting is going on.  These two missed calls, despite all the coaching and what not, sealed the game.

Tired of this carousel ride.  We'll win Friday, I'll watch, but until we can string even 2 or 3 wins together, the hope meter is closer to falling off.

#43 WIAN Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:36 PM

WIAN

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,052 posts
  • Joined 01-November 08
Just our luck but I don't remember any close finishes under Silas. His worst loss was Dallas by a mile. But in Cliff's short return these bad finishes have returned. Could be a coincidence. 2-19 however is the biggest red flag I've seen.

#44 Adam42R Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:42 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,673 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
I wonder what we lost in creativity or ability to influence Clifford with Price's departure. It's there a correlation between our diminished offensive effectiveness and the end of his tenure by chance? It does interest me that Clifford is a players coach that no longer has any high profile former players on his staff. Might have nothing to do with Clifford but might explain if guys aren't connecting his dots as well any more.
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#45 Mich_Mercer Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:00 AM

Mich_Mercer

Jeff "Sure I'll Start" McInnis

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,104 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC
We are the best bad team in years. We are so close to being very good, if we could just close out games. That's why I keep thinking we can turn things around, but I'm not sure that's going to happen with our current coach. We can't even get the back inbounds. I feel like we are honestly better not even calling a timeout late.

#46 QC Thundercats Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:26 AM

QC Thundercats

Quality Control

• Honorary Beagle

• 2,039 posts
  • Joined 01-June 12

I think the game has changed exponentially, and we got caught a step or two behind in personnel and coaching.  10 3 pointers made in a game used to be a rare mark and a good indicator of winning.  Its an average number now it seems, and the top teams seem to be hitting 16+ regularly.  10 point leads mean nothing anymore, you can make that up in a minute.  1 in 4 out used to be the flashy offensive maneuver.  Now having all 5 positions be deep shooters is a necessity to keep up.

Our roster would be an Eastern contender in 2012, but today, too much offensive pressure is exerted to keep more than one non playmaker on the floor at a time.  Like others have said, it feels close, but I don't think we have the current makeup to evolve to the modern day offense.  Even Cliff's defensive principles seem to have been breaking down the past couple of years, not being able to adapt.

Plus, our ecosystem of players is so fragile, that a simple injury always seems to derail the team, while Miami and San Antonio's system always seems to run high regardless of injuries.  Backup pg and backup center were our biggest weaknesses last year, as it is this year.  PG could've been addressed in the draft or free agency.  Center was addressed, but Cody's luck through that out the door.

I don't want to trade Kemba partly because he's the heart and soul of the team, but also because I still think its easier to find additional pieces (like a Lin and Lee) that can bring the matchups and depth back in our favor.  A solid piece or two from getting up to Wizards/Raptors level.  Yeah, not championship contender, but unless you own at least one two of the rare unicorns of the league, you're not competing.  Hell, the Pelicans have two unicorns and are barely above .500.  

#47 Chef Posted 25 January 2018 - 06:32 AM

Chef

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,017 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

i have "liked" almost every post on this page. here is my question:

if clifford was to be let go, who would be the replacement? i agree with clifford's time here, just about up. i think he is a better assistant given his demonstrated inability to be flexible and adaptable particularly with in game strategy. but, if you are not bringing him back, who would you replace him with that would address those issues? for me personally it would not be silas. i am not sure who is available that would be better than cliff.

#48 Founding Hornet Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:29 AM

Founding Hornet

Al "The Beast" Jefferson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • Joined 11-July 14

if clifford was to be let go, who would be the replacement? i agree with clifford's time here, just about up. i think he is a better assistant given his demonstrated inability to be flexible and adaptable particularly with in game strategy. but, if you are not bringing him back, who would you replace him with that would address those issues? for me personally it would not be silas. i am not sure who is available that would be better than cliff.

Most likely Hornets Bro

#49 Chef Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:54 AM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,017 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

Most likely Hornets Bro

but as gm, would he be ready to fire himself after the first 4 game losing streak? and would he still come here to post it 37 times per day beforehand?

#50 pellom Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:45 AM

pellom

Al "The Beast" Jefferson

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • Joined 24-May 14

I would target either Monty Williams, Fizdale or Ettore Messina.

Might give the job to Silas if those guys say no.

#51 Adam42R Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:52 AM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,673 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

I think it's a potentially bad look to let Clifford go. I think it's easier to pull him aside before going into the break and telling him he needs to shake his staff up and pull in some fresh offensive minds (and give him a list to pull from). It he doesn't follow that guidance, I'd let him know that he will be evaluated entirely on the last 30 games regardless of injury/absence. If you part ways in the off season, i don't think it's nearly the same bad optics of terminating a guy that can argue put his health at risk for the team.
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#52 Chef Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:17 AM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,017 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

I think it's a potentially bad look to let Clifford go. I think it's easier to pull him aside before going into the break and telling him he needs to shake his staff up and pull in some fresh offensive minds (and give him a list to pull from). It he doesn't follow that guidance, I'd let him know that he will be evaluated entirely on the last 30 games regardless of injury/absence. If you part ways in the off season, i don't think it's nearly the same bad optics of terminating a guy that can argue put his health at risk for the team.

that's fair and probably the best option but again who would be the "offensive coordinator" and do you think cliff actually listens when the guy says "coach, howard has to come out, he needs less post touches, etc"

#53 Adam42R Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:20 AM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,673 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

that's fair and probably the best option but again who would be the "offensive coordinator" and do you think cliff actually listens when the guy says "coach, howard has to come out, he needs less post touches, etc"

I mention Price only because he's a known entity, respected, currently not employed, etc... But yeah you are right, nothing guarantees his voice is heard outside of the threat that it's in you, coach, if you aren't changing things up this lady stretch of the year.

#54 powellrmp Posted 25 January 2018 - 02:37 PM

powellrmp

Al "The Beast" Jefferson

• Members
  • 793 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16

can we somehow trade for rick carlisle from the mavs please? aka the best coach in the business.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users