#42 Adam42R Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:04 AM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,673 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

All of what you said Adam is why I dont think its fair to judge Monk right now

I do appreciate that. I am not really down on Monk I do get his lack of burn but your point isn't missed that he's likely in a place to fail as well, it's just that with more warts, it's harder - for me - to differentiate what's him and what is the staff. And I should start saying that my issues are with the coaching staff, not just Clifford. He might be the tip of the spear but if we see no change, no one is convincing him of alternatives to what they are collectively doing. That's the sort of thing that concerns me we don't have the answer to the left of coach right now.

I should clarify that vote of little confidence in Silas. It's not what I want. As an MKG fan, I think a guy like Silas is more likely than someone outside the org to tap him for more offensive responsibility. So I should be wishing for what I think you and many others want. I just have great concerns of the collective on the bench right now.
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#43 buckets Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:30 AM

buckets

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• Honorary Beagle

• 4,701 posts
  • Joined 27-June 15

Amazing what opposing sorcerers are able to get away with. First 'Spo closes with a rookie over Whiteside and apparently tonight McMillan brought Turner off the bench? Pure craziness messing with the natural order like that.

Whiteside has a very large contract he's a closer. Turner is the starter so he should start. 

#Chodidthemath

#44 powellrmp Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:50 AM

powellrmp

Al "The Beast" Jefferson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16

My heart says make big trades, get some fresh blood and commence the rebuild.

My head says fire the coaching staff, clear a contract or two and prep for next year.

My eyes say "please stop making me watch the charlotte hornets play basketball because my eyes are bleeding".

#45 QC Thundercats Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:20 AM

QC Thundercats

Quality Control

• Honorary Beagle

• 2,039 posts
  • Joined 01-June 12

POPULAR

There might be great reasons for all of this and I know I have less basketball knowledge than Clifford loses in a regular BM but this stuff visually is so discordant for me.

The most frustrating thing to me is in watching or listening to Cliff’s interviews, he makes the correct diagnosis. The things we complain about here, he is fully aware, knows what needs to be worked on, the shortcomings. He excplicitly acknowledges and understands it, and explains it at a high level.

It’s the execution that he just can’t get right. He’s like a 90% good coach, but the stuff he’s bad at has a bigger impact. Like a mechanic knowing your transmission is shot, but not knowing how to get in there. Or a surgeon correctly understanding what’s harming somebody, but operating on the wrong body part. Or me with all the ingredients for a great meal, and just having it catch fire.

This incongruence is unfathomable for someone with all that demonstrable basketball knowledge. And it’s the biggest reason he needs to be replaced. Great guy, great mind, greater inability to implement modern basketball strategy.

#46 buckets Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:10 PM

buckets

• Honorary Beagle

• 4,701 posts
  • Joined 27-June 15

My heart says make big trades, get some fresh blood and commence the rebuild.

My head says fire the coaching staff, clear a contract or two and prep for next year.

My eyes say "please stop making me watch the charlotte hornets play basketball because my eyes are bleeding".

My thoughts exactly when watching the replay last. Like "WTF I don't even enjoy watching these things live?" Not sure I have many games left in me.

Dwight ball was just gruesome, offensively and defensively. Sure he scored a bunch of points and grabbed rebounds and blocked shots but those low-ceiling 2pt possessions carried significant opportunity costs. I dare anyone to go back and watch the possessions he Posted Up and *didn't* shoot. Or nonchalantly zoned/hedged and *didn't* defend his man or block the shot. 

All too frequently it resulted in 12 seconds of standing around trying to get Dwight the ball, no downhill movement or cutting because he's camping in the paint instead of setting aggressive screens, a turnover because of defensive pressure, or a rushed challenged shot by a teammate as the clock expired. On the defensive end it was just painful watching him stand around while his teammates defended 4-on-5 in order for Dwight to have his man slip by for an easy paint touch or wide open 3-point shot.

Obviously he's not entirely to blame but the bad Post Up math and double standards have to be demoralizing for the other players. And for the 1000th time, looking at you Clifford.

Best of all was Dwight stating "we have to change up our defensive coverages" during his halftime interview. Kemba says hi too (lol holding AND bitching is impressive).

wYG1I43.png

#Chodidthemath

#47 pellom Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:19 PM

pellom

Al "The Beast" Jefferson

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • Joined 24-May 14

My thoughts exactly when watching the replay last. Like "WTF I don't even enjoy watching these things live?" Not sure I have many games left in me.

Dwight ball was just gruesome, offensively and defensively. Sure he scored a bunch of points and grabbed rebounds and blocked shots but those low-ceiling 2pt possessions carried significant opportunity costs. I dare anyone to go back and watch the possessions he Posted Up and *didn't* shoot. Or nonchalantly zoned/hedged and *didn't* defend his man or block the shot.

All too frequently it resulted in 12 seconds of standing around trying to get Dwight the ball, no downhill movement or cutting because he's camping in the paint instead of setting aggressive screens, a turnover because of defensive pressure, or a rushed challenged shot by a teammate as the clock expired. On the defensive end it was just painful watching him stand around while his teammates defended 4-on-5 in order for Dwight to have his man slip by for an easy paint touch or wide open 3-point shot.

Obviously he's not entirely to blame but the bad Post Up math and double standards have to be demoralizing for the other players. And for the 1000th time, looking at you Clifford.

Best of all was Dwight stating "we have to change up our defensive coverages" during his halftime interview. Kemba says hi too (lol holding AND bitching is impressive).

wYG1I43.png

I don't know why they keep throwing the ball down to him. It's either mandated by Clifford or something else is going on. I watch Nic and Kemba move around just to throw it in the block and stand with their hands on their hips as Dwight dribbles for 15 seconds. It doesn't make sense.

#48 Chef Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:52 PM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,017 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

I don't know why they keep throwing the ball down to him. It's either mandated by Clifford or something else is going on. I watch Nic and Kemba move around just to throw it in the block and stand with their hands on their hips as Dwight dribbles for 15 seconds. It doesn't make sense.

For his complete lack of anything resembling a bbiq, he is a mensa member in moving and positioning himself to give zero alternatives than to pass him the ball.

#49 pellom Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:54 PM

pellom

Al "The Beast" Jefferson

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • Joined 24-May 14

For his complete lack of anything resembling a bbiq, he is a mensa member in moving and positioning himself to give zero alternatives than to pass him the ball.

Yeah, that's probably it. He only gives effort when the end result is a tick on the stat sheet for himself. It's the same reason he refuses to set screens or play pick and roll defense.

#50 Mustachio Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:59 PM

Mustachio

• Honorary Beagle

• 5,822 posts
  • Joined 11-July 06

So I take it I can't interest you in a Dwight Howard / Jabari Parker deal? Haha
Into the crevasse!

"Climb down Lemon, Climb down"Posted Image

#51 buckets Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:04 PM

buckets

• Honorary Beagle

• 4,701 posts
  • Joined 27-June 15

IDK. One possession Dwight even seemed aggrieved when Nic had the audacity to go away from one of Dwight's faux walk-up screens. Then again, not sure he was aggrieved so much as feigning confusion in order to kill time hoping the action reversed back to his spot rather him actively re-screening or, ya know, moving.

It's classic Dwight. Watch him offball when possessions go 180 from planned scripted > rapid unscripted. I'm convinced half the time when he's bitching about a call, getting tangled up in transition, acts confused about the play call, carving OREB space with 10+ seconds left, darts a childish look at a teammate, etc....is learned behavior to avoid immediately joining the rapid unscripted play.

Like, ignore what I'm doing wrong and instead join me in being affronted. It's all just jazz hands. 

#Chodidthemath

#52 buckets Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:07 PM

buckets

• Honorary Beagle

• 4,701 posts
  • Joined 27-June 15

So I take it I can't interest you in a Dwight Howard / Jabari Parker deal? Haha

jd5CgL8.png

pJvRzkK.png

18BP697.png

#Chodidthemath

#53 Chef Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:08 PM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,017 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

Yeah, that's probably it. He only gives effort when the end result is a tick on the stat sheet for himself. It's the same reason he refuses to set screens or play pick and roll defense.

He does set screens and it is where his idiot savant-ness shines. He manages to set screens to ensure the only play is to pass it back to him. I am telling you, he is the anti-gasol or anti-jokic

Edit: it absolutely kills me that he will be in the hall of fame. And based on past, rbs, etc it is justified

#54 buckets Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:19 PM

buckets

• Honorary Beagle

• 4,701 posts
  • Joined 27-June 15

Dwight nailing the shoulder shrug Triple Lindy.

BBKfvAD.gif

#Chodidthemath

#55 Mustachio Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:40 PM

Mustachio

• Honorary Beagle

• 5,822 posts
  • Joined 11-July 06

Dwight nailing the shoulder shrug Triple Lindy.

BBKfvAD.gif

IO1QU8E.gif

Into the crevasse!

"Climb down Lemon, Climb down"Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users