53 replies to this topic

#21 Chef Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:08 PM

Chef

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• Honorary Beagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,903 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

Hypothetically: Would you rather attach Monk or this year's first to get off money? Neither is not an option.

Monk. Too easy

Not because I am against monk, but because I really don't like trading unknown assets

#22 Mich_Mercer Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:10 PM

Mich_Mercer

Jeff "Sure I'll Start" McInnis

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,051 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Monk. Too easy

Not because I am against monk, but because I really don't like trading unknown assets

Keep Monk, as our first round pick will be outside of the lottery or vary late lottery. I would say Monk is an unknown asset as we have no clue what he is bc he doesn't play. He's shown flashes on what he is, but we haven't seen that in a while. Hopefully he'll hang around so we can see it happen on our team and not on another team

#23 pellom Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:11 PM

pellom

Kemba "E-Z Pass" Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Joined 24-May 14

Monk. Too easy

Would be my pick as well. If they're going to keep Clifford, you go to him and ask him what he thinks of Monk. Assuming it's not positive, that's the move you make.

According to Woj, no team is going to take on money without a first round pick attached. Maybe Monk will suffice?

#24 Mich_Mercer Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:13 PM

Mich_Mercer

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,051 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Would be my pick as well. If they're going to keep Clifford, you go to him and ask him what he thinks of Monk. Assuming it's not positive, that's the move you make.

According to Woj, no team is going to take on money without a first round pick attached. Maybe Monk will suffice?

Let's get rid of Clifford if that's what it takes. However, I'm content right now with not doing much at all. We seem to finally be figuring it out.

#25 pellom Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:20 PM

pellom

Kemba "E-Z Pass" Walker

• Members
  • 736 posts
  • Joined 24-May 14

Let's get rid of Clifford if that's what it takes. However, I'm content right now with not doing much at all. We seem to finally be figuring it out.

It will not last.

#26 Chef Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:30 PM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,903 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

Keep Monk, as our first round pick will be outside of the lottery or vary late lottery. I would say Monk is an unknown asset as we have no clue what he is bc he doesn't play. He's shown flashes on what he is, but we haven't seen that in a while. Hopefully he'll hang around so we can see it happen on our team and not on another team

so is our pick lottery or not? if it is lottery, will it get super lucky and be top 3? we are celebrating the team's second 3 game win streak of the year. but, if they go ahead and lose 3 of the next 4, they are right back to top 7. 

basically, what i am saying is, we have zero idea at this point what this year's pick will be. we have alot of evidence that monk at best is a 3 or 4 year project.

#27 pellom Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:32 PM

pellom

Kemba "E-Z Pass" Walker

• Members
  • 736 posts
  • Joined 24-May 14

so is our pick lottery or not? if it is lottery, will it get super lucky and be top 3? we are celebrating the team's second 3 game win streak of the year. but, if they go ahead and lose 3 of the next 4, they are right back to top 7.

basically, what i am saying is, we have zero idea at this point what this year's pick will be. we have alot of evidence that monk at best is a 3 or 4 year project.

AND, there's an easy way to guarantee the pick gets better, like trading guys or cutting guys. There's no real way to guarantee the team performs better and makes "going for it" worth the trouble.

It's time to cut our losses.

#28 cltblkhscoach Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:14 PM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,614 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
This year's first. Rather give the new GM flexibility than trading away a young asset he hasnt had a chance to evaluate himself.

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#29 Adam42R Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:29 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,270 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
Pretty sure we don't need to resign Lamb to anything this summer. His pay goes from 7m to 7.5 but we have him another year. My interest in Smart would be as a combo replacement of Lamb and MCW. Admittedly he's a bit of a drop from Lamb's scoring but a guy that seems to be able to brick in flow of the offense. He's also a defensive pg along the lines of MCW but with a better shot. And if Bogg is right, and he's on the low side with RFA offers and we could get him at 9m, he is actually cheaper than combo of Lamb, MCW, and throw in Stone as well. That allows us to save several million, and we should have Monk as a third option PG that can come off the bench as a SG alongside Smart at the PG. And we could run a conbo of Smart and Kemba that would be fun IMO.
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#30 Mich_Mercer Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:19 PM

Mich_Mercer

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,051 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC

This year's first. Rather give the new GM flexibility than trading away a young asset he hasnt had a chance to evaluate himself.

I always agree with you man! Haha I know for a fact that there is no way if us getting that lucky and getting a top 3 pick. I honestly feel like we got that kind of talent with Monk, so why the hell trade him for another guy who may have less upside?

#31 buckets Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:20 PM

buckets

• Honorary Beagle

• 4,487 posts
  • Joined 27-June 15

Man, guess my takeaway is different than most. I stopped enjoying this team a while ago but only recently acknowledged it. Just thinking about riding this core through April or worse - doubling down by trading young players or future pick - makes me a little sad.

#Chodidthemath

#32 powellrmp Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:28 PM

powellrmp

Kemba "E-Z Pass" Walker

• Members
  • 716 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16

I don't understand the optimism. We beat atlanta-the worst team in the league. and we just had to come back from 21 down to outlast another horrible team. Remember a week or so ago when we had to hold off a late Sac Kings rally to squeeze out a win?

#33 buckets Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:43 PM

buckets

• Honorary Beagle

• 4,487 posts
  • Joined 27-June 15

Pretty sure we don't need to resign Lamb to anything this summer. His pay goes from 7m to 7.5 but we have him another year. My interest in Smart would be as a combo replacement of Lamb and MCW. Admittedly he's a bit of a drop from Lamb's scoring but a guy that seems to be able to brick in flow of the offense. He's also a defensive pg along the lines of MCW but with a better shot. And if Bogg is right, and he's on the low side with RFA offers and we could get him at 9m, he is actually cheaper than combo of Lamb, MCW, and throw in Stone as well. That allows us to save several million, and we should have Monk as a third option PG that can come off the bench as a SG alongside Smart at the PG. And we could run a conbo of Smart and Kemba that would be fun IMO.

Based on various 2017 production ratios for guards/wings last July I had Smart closer to $14 -16M. But that doesn't factor this season impacting his projections or fewer 2018 cap dollars so $10M for Smart seems entirely possible. 

At a certain point though he'll bet on himself, esp if 2019 and 2020 cap projections aren't lowered again.

#Chodidthemath

#34 pellom Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:22 PM

pellom

Kemba "E-Z Pass" Walker

• Members
  • 736 posts
  • Joined 24-May 14

Man, guess my takeaway is different than most. I stopped enjoying this team a while ago but only recently acknowledged it. Just thinking about riding this core through April or worse - doubling down by trading young players or future pick - makes me a little sad.

I'm with you on the first part. And because of that, I've resigned myself to the fact that we'll have to give up something we like to get off some money.

#35 Adam42R Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:51 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,270 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
While I hope we don't trade either Kemba or Nic, I equally don't want us to trade Monk, Bacon, or Graham. I feel that Cody, Frank and MKG are not likely moved so I am not concerned there. Where I'd like to see us play is with Marvin, Dwight, Lamb and hope whatever we do doesn't rely on JOB getting minutes.

As for my outlook on just throwing in the towel. We are a car and a half length back of Philly right now with the disaster season we are having. If that's all tanking gets you, fuuuuuck that.
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#36 buckets Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:08 PM

buckets

• Honorary Beagle

• 4,487 posts
  • Joined 27-June 15

While I hope we don't trade either Kemba or Nic, I equally don't want us to trade Monk, Bacon, or Graham. I feel that Cody, Frank and MKG are not likely moved so I am not concerned there. Where I'd like to see us play is with Marvin, Dwight, Lamb and hope whatever we do doesn't rely on JOB getting minutes.

As for my outlook on just throwing in the towel. We are a car and a half length back of Philly right now with the disaster season we are having. If that's all tanking gets you, fuuuuuck that.

Yeah I think we're on same page. I'm not advocating tanking, it's too late anyway. I am discouraged, however, at the notion of surrendering longer-term assets for an immediate fix because there's a belief within the organization the current core is salvageable beyond this season. If a contender offers a 2019 expiring for Marvin they should take it -- hell I'd even attach a 2nd if for a useful 2019 expiring on a decent contract. Same deal with moving Lamb for a backup PG next season.

Howard is trickier. I personally can't handle another low-probability post up or resultant shot clock grenade. But keeping his expiring might be the only option -- maybe Howard for Henson and filler from a 3rd team but I'm weary of extending Howard's money beyond next season.

Anyways IMO the Hornets improve this season by upgrading backup PG, moving Marvin, and in a universe without egos, Howard comes off the bench where his usage + Monk against 2nd units could actually be positive things.

#Chodidthemath

#37 cltblkhscoach Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:38 PM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,614 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06

I always agree with you man! Haha I know for a fact that there is no way if us getting that lucky and getting a top 3 pick. I honestly feel like we got that kind of talent with Monk, so why the hell trade him for another guy who may have less upside?

You're my brother from another mother man. Lol

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#38 pellom Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:01 PM

pellom

Kemba "E-Z Pass" Walker

• Members
  • 736 posts
  • Joined 24-May 14
Woj and Lowe both keep throwing out Nic and Kemba for the Nets pick and filler.

#39 dnbman Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:03 PM

dnbman

Existential Crisis Manager

• Moderators

• 5,703 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

Woj and Lowe both keep throwing out Nic and Kemba for the Nets pick and filler.

That's a seriously hard reset there. 

#40 Adam42R Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:25 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,270 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

That's a seriously hard reset there.

It would likely reset a lot of STH plans.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users