41 replies to this topic

#1 CableBoxCat Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:40 AM

CableBoxCat

The Dust Chip

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Joined 19-May 12

Dwight Howard is closing in on a couple Hornets single season REBOUND records. Currently on pace for Total & Defensive Rebounds barring injury (no jinx!), but Offensive Rebounds looks like a reach.

CURRENT RECORD HOLDERS

TOTAL: Larry Johnson (899)

OFFENSIVE: Larry Johnson (323)

DEFENSIVE: Anthony Mason (649)

DWIGHT HAS (as of conclusion of Bulls game 2/27, 21 games to go)

TOTAL: 766 (133 to go, needs to avg 6.3 PG, current avg 12.56 PG)

OFFENSIVE: 202 (121 to go, needs to avg 5.8 PG, current avg 3.31 PG)

DEFENSIVE: 564 (85 to go, needs to avg 4.0 PG, current avg 9.25 PG)

Unfortunately for those of us with season tickets, based on current averages, it looks like he would get the records on the road. The 3/17 Knicks game at Madison Square Garden looms large. Again this is obviously barring injury (and I know his ribs are currently hurting), but just wanted to update people on his progress towards those records! GO DWIGHT!

#2 Buzzau Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:19 AM

Buzzau

Captain Jack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Joined 04-November 15
  • LocationMelbourne, Aus
He has had a great year. It would be well deserved if he does break any or all 3 of them.

#3 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:28 AM

GeraldWallaceMVP

Dwight's Only Fan

• 1000+ posts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC

Get them boards Dwight!

#4 Hornets686 Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:43 PM

Hornets686

Jeff "Sure I'll Start" McInnis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationConnecticut

I might be at that Knicks game too!

#5 CableBoxCat Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:00 PM

CableBoxCat

The Dust Chip

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Joined 19-May 12

Dwight with six more boards tonight... Quick update on his quest for the records:

DWIGHT HAS (as of conclusion of 76ers game 3/6, 17 games to go)

TOTAL: 791 (108 to go, needs to avg 6.4 PG, current avg 12.2 PG) He just passed P.J. Brown for 10th on the list

DEFENSIVE: 584 (65 to go, needs to avg 3.8 PG, current avg 9.0 PG) He just passed Larry Johnson for 6th on the list

Current projections would have him break the TOTAL REBOUNDS record on the road against Dallas on 3/24.

He would break the DEFENSIVE REBOUNDS record at home against Memphis on 3/22.

He also hit a three-pointer tonight, so only 242 to go before he ties Jason Richardson!  :biggrin:

#6 CarolinaKat Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:04 AM

CarolinaKat

The Mouth of the South

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,469 posts
  • Joined 04-February 11
  • LocationSyracuse, New York 😢
I only get to watch the highlights since i live in New York now....but Dwight has been getting in done....funnynthing is i remember that draft....i told my cousin i would rather have Omeka because Howard was all churchy and what not.....fire me as a GM...and we still got him yrs later

#7 CableBoxCat Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:28 PM

CableBoxCat

The Dust Chip

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Joined 19-May 12

7 more boards last night...

DWIGHT HAS (as of conclusion of Nets game 3/8, 16 games to go)

TOTAL: 791 (101 to go, needs to avg 6.3 PG, current avg 12.1 PG) He just passed Emeka Okafor for 8th on the list

DEFENSIVE: 590 (59 to go, needs to avg 3.7 PG, current avg 8.9 PG)

Current projections would have him break the TOTAL REBOUNDS record at home against Knicks on 3/26.

He would break the DEFENSIVE REBOUNDS record at home against Memphis on 3/22.

EDIT: corrected an error in Defensive Rebounds total amount.

DwightHoward_3-924c15cf.jpeg?ver=1519172

#8 buckets Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:33 PM

buckets

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• Honorary Beagle

• 4,784 posts
  • Joined 27-June 15

Through 68 games Dwight is dead last in Hornets DREB% On /Off.

Oh and his perma-bad assist-to-turnover differential that has followed him for years.

iuSBqVI.png

#Chodidthemath

#9 CableBoxCat Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:10 AM

CableBoxCat

The Dust Chip

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Joined 19-May 12

Through 68 games Dwight is dead last in Hornets DREB% On /Off.

Oh and his perma-bad assist-to-turnover differential that has followed him for years.

Thanks. Glad to see you picked up on the spirit of the thread. With the team 7 games out of the last playoff spot, I was just thinking how this board needed some more negativity...  :facepalm:

#10 buckets Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:25 AM

buckets

• Honorary Beagle

• 4,784 posts
  • Joined 27-June 15

Yeah let's lionize hollow stats of a selfish player who's helped derail a billion dollar organization.

Should make everyone feel better.

#Chodidthemath

#11 CableBoxCat Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:59 PM

CableBoxCat

The Dust Chip

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Joined 19-May 12

Yeah let's lionize hollow stats of a selfish player who's helped derail a billion dollar organization.

Should make everyone feel better.

You must be fun at parties.

#12 buckets Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:28 PM

buckets

• Honorary Beagle

• 4,784 posts
  • Joined 27-June 15

You must be fun at parties.

I spent 2+ seasons and countless hours of research defending the FO, coaching staff, and players who were frequently scapegoated. It was to the point of a running joke last year with Mustachio who I'm sure wasn't the only one snickering at my silver linings.

This year is different though. For $117M the Hornets are a bad, veteran-heavy team in small part because of embarrassing effort and selfish play. Which is why I find spin about Dwight's individual season despite team failures a little insulting. Not just here but telecasts and pretty everywhere counting stats are used to praise the very players who contributed to a massively under-performing team. It's why I stopped watching every Hornets game and stopped posting on HP the past 4 weeks. 

Anyways I regret posting on this thread. I shouldn't have peed in your Cheerios and for that I apologize.

#Chodidthemath

#13 CableBoxCat Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:51 PM

CableBoxCat

The Dust Chip

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Joined 19-May 12

Anyways I regret posting on this thread. I shouldn't have peed in your Cheerios and for that I apologize.

No worries. This season has made us all a bit cranky.

#14 spaceshoes Posted 11 March 2018 - 03:54 PM

spaceshoes

Al "The Beast" Jefferson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • Joined 12-August 15
  • LocationFort Mill, SC
I find it hard praising Dwight as well. That's what he wants: stats and records for himself. He doesn't care about the little things he's asked to do for the betterment of the team. I'm going to try and get my board, who cares about not setting screens for my teammates. I found it telling how excited the starters were when Cody was coming back. I also found it sad about how little they would get to play with him.

#15 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 11 March 2018 - 06:02 PM

GeraldWallaceMVP

Dwight's Only Fan

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,854 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC
Why is a okay injury prone center, who can’t get a board or score praised as a god here for his “team defense” and “screens”

But someone who most would call a top ten center in the nba is labeled selfish

Oh wait it’s because everyone just follows the narrative. Dwight is the selfish former superstar just trying to regain glory. Cody is the great white hustler.

#16 Adam42R Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:18 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,824 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

Why is a okay injury prone center, who can’t get a board or score praised as a god here for his “team defense” and “screens”

Oh wait it’s because everyone just follows the narrative. Dwight is the selfish former superstar just trying to regain glory. Cody is the great white hustler.

It's not a narrative, it's a visual.  When I was tracking offensive boards given up (by Dwight), it was only because it was pretty much in-your-face obvious that the team wasn't giving up ORBs with Cody on the floor.  Then, and only then did I start to watch for it.  It was really noticeable that - at that time - when Cody was on the floor, it wasn't so much that he was getting DRBs, it was simply that the other team wasn't getting the ORBs.  That was in stark contrast - again, at that time - to Dwight who was binary, he got the DRB or he gave up an ORB.  I even noticed in that time, multiple incidences that he caused a bobble for the DRB because one of his teammates came down with it.  Now some of that stuff just "happens" and it's not a big deal.  But when you see a contrast of the two, it's striking.  Now if you look at the "stats" - Dwight might look otherworldly rebounding, Cody might have three for the game - but what was more impacting on the team?  That's the here, here. 

No one should doubt Dwight's ability to get boards, points, or even blocks; but they all come with a cost.  The last one means that he's rarely in position to prevent a player from getting an ORB and put-back.  I'd guarantee he gives up a statistically noticeable % per possession of 2nd chance points compared to Cody.  The rebounds I have already addressed.  The points are harder to quantify.  If you just considered Dwight shooting with one or less dribbles only, he's the most efficient player we have ever had.  Those are not only not the issue, they make the visual of the issue that much more apparent.  The 3, 4, 5, 17 dribble possessions are so inefficient that it makes me question his overall +/-.  

Having said all of that, I think with a coach that would ask more of him, or in a sense, less of him, he could be a great value here still.  I say that mostly because something is seriously wrong with Cody's inability to stay healthy (or the training staff's inability to force him to wear knee padding).

Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#17 spaceshoes Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:46 PM

spaceshoes

Al "The Beast" Jefferson

• Members
  • 984 posts
  • Joined 12-August 15
  • LocationFort Mill, SC

I'm confident in my opinion. My sources go a bit deeper than a message board.

#18 cltblkhscoach Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:24 PM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,991 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06

I'm confident in my opinion. My sources go a bit deeper than a message board.

Come on man, dont be that guy. Youre better than that

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#19 CableBoxCat Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:54 AM

CableBoxCat

The Dust Chip

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Joined 19-May 12

So anyway...

DWIGHT HAS (as of conclusion of Suns game 3/10, 15 games to go)

TOTAL: 810 (89 to go, needs to avg 5.9 PG, current avg 12.1 PG) He just passed Alonzo Mourning for 7th on the list

DEFENSIVE: 601 (48 to go, needs to avg 3.2 PG, current avg 9.0 PG) NOTE: I had an error in my last post, in which I failed to update his "TOTAL" amount, but the "TO GO" amount was still correct

Game projections remain the same.

Some other things to keep an eye on:

Record for Double-Doubles is 49 (Larry Johnson)... Dwight has 40

Record for Double-Figure Rebound Games is 53 (Emeka Okafor)... Dwight has 46

Dwight is also the only player on this year's team that has played EVERY game (busted up ribs and all), so if that holds, he would obviously tie that record with a bunch of other players.

#20 spaceshoes Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:53 AM

spaceshoes

Al "The Beast" Jefferson

• Members
  • 984 posts
  • Joined 12-August 15
  • LocationFort Mill, SC

Come on man, dont be that guy. Youre better than that

Sorry, I guess BrotherDave brings responses like that out on people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users