29 replies to this topic

#21 JGib23 Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:38 PM

JGib23

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  • Joined 27-October 08
Also, Monks effort has to be discussed. I know he’s 19 but, it’s almost like he thinks he’s too cool or something... his defensive effort was a joke.

Bushwick Billy’s mind is playing tricks on him. He’s shot a combined 10 official shots as a Hornet (6 from the field and 4 from the FT line) and hasn’t hit a shot yet.

I would have liked to seen if MKG could have slowed Kylie down tonight, he was feeling it. (As were the rest of the Celtics).

This was almost a penciled in loss so atleast the starters got some rest.

Philly is playing on national TV tomorrow at 8 against the Cavs so, hopefully they are worn out with a triple OT loss before playing us on the back to back.

#22 cltblkhscoach Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:05 AM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,991 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
Im glad Malik got in during relevant time, honestly Im not going to jump him too bad. Cliff threw everyone under the bus on defense tonight, and it was lackadaisical effort more than anything.

Offensively Malik just needs to play. I saw something today the Knicks were trying to get him before the deadline, and thats where he thought he was going in the draft, and they loved him in the process.

His future for now I think is the backup point guard for us as a combo guard like Lin was. He will need to be a gym rat to get there though, and hopefully Silas will be here to guide him.

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#23 cltblkhscoach Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:07 AM

cltblkhscoach

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,991 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
Hernangomez, we saw he needs to bulk up some like Cody had to, to be able to handle real men like Greg Monroe inside. His strength is offense, and like Malik, he needs regular time to get in some kind of rhythm.

It was good to see Stone tonight, he just missed too much time to be a factor this year.

#24 pellom Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:54 AM

pellom

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,058 posts
  • Joined 24-May 14

Also, Monks effort has to be discussed. I know he’s 19 but, it’s almost like he thinks he’s too cool or something... his defensive effort was a joke.

Bushwick Billy’s mind is playing tricks on him. He’s shot a combined 10 official shots as a Hornet (6 from the field and 4 from the FT line) and hasn’t hit a shot yet.

I would have liked to seen if MKG could have slowed Kylie down tonight, he was feeling it. (As were the rest of the Celtics).

This was almost a penciled in loss so atleast the starters got some rest.

Philly is playing on national TV tomorrow at 8 against the Cavs so, hopefully they are worn out with a triple OT loss before playing us on the back to back.

It doesn’t feel like bad effort for Monk, to me anyway. He looks lost - but not because he isn’t trying.

#25 JGib23 Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:47 PM

JGib23

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,412 posts
  • Joined 27-October 08

Agree he looks lost and I'm most likely over-reacting a little based on the outcome of the game last night but, there was a play in particular where a shot went up and Graham was battling for a rebound with 2 Celtics and Monk was a the 3 point line just watching, the Celtic got the offensive rebound and a putback score and that set me off.

The lack of desire to get in there to mix it up and fight for a rebound just really rubbed me the wrong way.

#26 Adam42R Posted 01 March 2018 - 01:44 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,824 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

JGibb, I don't recall the play you mention but offer a different reason for it than drive/motivation.  I think he's been broken down to remove instinct.  Maybe not all his instincts are bad but they appear to lean that way defensively.  So he might be going through some internal checklist when he's out there.  I thought the best thing he did last night was wait for a screen assist on that top of the 3pt line attempt.  He so often tried to do that with a dribble step back that the patience to set up the assisting screen was great to see.  So maybe he's in a building back up phase right now and he's going to err on staying in his role to a fault.  Just a guess, again, don't recall the play.

I do think this is a major gaffe on the coaching staff's part.  You cannot tell me that he (or Willy, or Bacon) benefit in any way from seeing zero PT until we're a man or three down.  Why the hell could he not have been getting Bacon and Monk 5-10 mins per game from December on?  Wouldn't have to be 4th quarter time, but why not steal 5-6 mins for Monk or Bacon in 2nd quarters even if it's not nightly (unless their play dictated it)?  It would surely be paying off now better than playing Dwight 31mpg and assuming that is sustainable and having completely green players come in for injury absences.

Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#27 Mustachio Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:16 PM

Mustachio

• Honorary Beagle

• 5,847 posts
  • Joined 11-July 06

We've seen 45 seconds of Monks play.   I'm not questioning anything about him.   We just don't have enough data.  

We also don't have a coach whose gotten an ounce of improvement out of anyone other than Kemba which I would chalk up to sheer will of Kemba to improve.  

He doesn't win, He doesn't develop, He doesn't even tank.  What does Clifford do all day?  

Into the crevasse!

"Climb down Lemon, Climb down"Posted Image

#28 pellom Posted 01 March 2018 - 04:54 PM

pellom

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,058 posts
  • Joined 24-May 14
The problem Monk is having, in my opinion, is that he is what we all thought he would be. Which is Jamal Crawford lite. No defense, all scoring, very little passing. Which can be useful! When good teams have those guys as complimentary pieces it can really work well.

The issue in Charlotte is that when he comes on the court he knows he has to get buckets for that 2nd unit. No one else can score. But he also knows that if he shoots too much - and those shots don’t fall - he’s going to be yanked and Cliff may not play him again for another month.

The issue is mental. Shooters gotta shoot, but he knows he can’t.

#29 WIAN Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:07 PM

WIAN

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,052 posts
  • Joined 01-November 08
I think we have Thibs lite with Cliff and that rotation is just going to be short. Bacon and Monk should not have this many DNPs considering our record. Bacon especially b/c he can defend for a rookie and there's not a physical limitation compared to Monk.

I expected Bacon to have a better rookie season than Monk.

#30 cltblkhscoach Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:59 PM

cltblkhscoach

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,991 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
Monk is thinking right now instead of reacting on both sides of the ball. He is trying to do as he is coached to do to please the staff instead kf just being natural and letting it flow.

I mean, he still is 19 and in the NBA. Think about when you were 19, hell I was trying to do a lot of things simpler than the NBA and struggling with those. Lets keep it in perspective.

And I agree, earlier in the season he should have been kept in the rotation. But we have had so much inconsistency this year that its practically a year of summer league for him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users