8 replies to this topic

#1 Proudiddy Posted 06 April 2018 - 02:02 AM

Proudiddy

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts
  • Joined 04-July 07
Just said it on Inside the NBA.  They showed Monk's dunk against the Bulls and then briefly discussed how he didn't get any PT all year and the highlight was made possible because he finally has started to get some burn.  Shaq then asked Zeke if Monk looked like a bust to him, and Zeke said no.  So, Shaq then said, "Coach needs to be fired.  Coach needs to be fired...  Kid needs to be on the court."  Probably worth pointing out that Shaq hates SVG, and Clifford was a SVG assistant for many years, so maybe there is something there, but regardless, his point stands.

It's very rare that a former player/coach/exec speaks on a current player/coach/exec's job, so to have Shaq say that on a national broadcast is telling, AND NEEDED.  I'm tired of hearing people, especially pundits and former pros, make excuses for Clifford.  He has proven to be a below average coach time and time again, and one of the biggest issues in his ineptitude as a coach has been his inability to play the right players at the right time.  Monk sitting all year until we were completely out of the hunt is completely inexcusable.  I'm tired of Clifford's mediocre bullshit and wasting away our best assets because he can't fucking coach.  I hope Kupchak's first move as new GM is canning his sorry ass and may Malik average 20 ppg next season!  It's a irreversible shame that his rookie season was needlessly wasted, as was our playoff chances for this season all because of his ego.

#2 cltblkhscoach Posted 06 April 2018 - 06:56 AM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,147 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
Let me reply before everyone says that Monks performance didnt matter because no one was trying in that game and didnt care.

I appreciate them talking about us first of all, usually no one cares. But once again, I think the old school philosophy of Clifford with Monk just wasnt the right move. Thats a high school or college coaching philisophy in my opinion. In the NBA, he can find 10 minutes a game at least for him.

I dont think thats the only reason why Cliff should be let go, but it certainly doesnt help his case. But like Im going to pose in the GM thread, who do you WANT if it aint Cliff?

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#3 Adam42R Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:24 AM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 7,273 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

I don't necessarily buy into the notion that the game didn't count and noone was playing.  There are a lot of guys that were playing for other teams' interest or for playing time in future years so I completely agree coach that there was meaning (and will be tonight and Sunday) and it should have meant someone was in fact trying to disrupt Monk's shooting - they weren't effective :)  Monk's performance reminded me a hell of a lot like Gerald Henderson's performance here with a handful of games on the clock under Larry Brown or more germane, a lot like Jeff Teague at the end of that same year under Larry Drew.  In both cases, each was completely sidelined for most of the year and then balled out with signature performances in the waning games of the 09-10 season.  The key difference is that those (Bobcat / Hawks) teams both went to the playoffs (right?) and that's what makes this even more perplexing.  That one thing doesn't necessarily say that Clifford needs to be canned, that's hot take stuff.  He should be much more heavily evaluated on why the massive minutes to Dwight, why the complete lack of run of Nic with the 2nd unit, why the regression of MKG development and complete absence of getting him early rim runs, why the painful inflexibility with lineup changes, why running plays to get MCW open threes, there's just a ton of whys on the coach and staff.  Monk and Bacon burn is just one for the list.

And the other point coach, that they merely mention us being neato, that's got value too.  

Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#4 JGib23 Posted 06 April 2018 - 11:30 AM

JGib23

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,427 posts
  • Joined 27-October 08

I was going to post this in the Malik Monk thread but, I might as well post here it because it relates to playing time/coaching.

Monk has played at least 24 minutes in only 7 games this year. In games where he plays 24 or more minutes he has scored 115 points and is avg'ing 16.42 ppg.

Monk has played lower than 24 minutes in 53 games this year. In games with less than 24 minutes, he has scored 241 points and is avg'ing 4.5 ppg.

The kids needs consistent playing time in more minutes to find his rhythm.

I like Clifford but, I'm ready to move on. Thanks to Coach I watched a classic Hornets game last night and remembered how fun it was to watch a team that played at a faster pace. I'm all for a change that involves playing at a quicker pace.

#5 Mich_Mercer Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:01 PM

Mich_Mercer

Jeff "Sure I'll Start" McInnis

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,182 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC
I wonder if Monk has Clifford's trust now? Would he get big minutes next season with Clifford or would he make him sit again? The bench looks so much better with Munk and even Bacon playing. I'm ok giving Clifford the beginning of next season to see what else does with Monk. It not, fire him. I wouldn't hate if he was fired in the offseason though. This team has too much talent to be in the spot that we are.

#6 powellrmp Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:02 PM

powellrmp

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,009 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16
Sounds like mr. shaq didn't watch game tape of Malik monk looking completely lost on the basketball floor. Like a baby deer in the headlights.

I don't blame cliff. We had top 4 seed in the east as our expectations this year and a 19 year who looked lost in the floor didn't seem to help us towards that.

SHAQ!! CAPTAIN HINDSIGHT!!!!!

#7 spaceshoes Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:26 PM

spaceshoes

Cardiac Kemba Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Joined 12-August 15
  • LocationFort Mill, SC

Sounds like mr. shaq didn't watch game tape of Malik monk looking completely lost on the basketball floor. Like a baby deer in the headlights.

I don't blame cliff. We had top 4 seed in the east as our expectations this year and a 19 year who looked lost in the floor didn't seem to help us towards that.

SHAQ!! CAPTAIN HINDSIGHT!!!!!

I agree up to a point. However, we held on to the notion that we were going to make a run to the playoffs way too long. There were plenty of times this season that he could have gotten SOME minutes during games.

#8 Hornets686 Posted 06 April 2018 - 09:36 PM

Hornets686

Jeff "Sure I'll Start" McInnis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationConnecticut

Way to long? Until your eliminated you should play to win!

I agree up to a point. However, we held on to the notion that we were going to make a run to the playoffs way too long. There were plenty of times this season that he could have gotten SOME minutes during games.

#9 spaceshoes Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:02 AM

spaceshoes

Cardiac Kemba Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Joined 12-August 15
  • LocationFort Mill, SC
I'm not saying don't play to win. I'm saying when you haven't had a win streak longer than 4 games and you continually lose the same way you have for a year and a half, then try something different.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users