• LocationMelbourne, Aus

#2 Adam42R Posted 08 April 2018 - 03:56 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
Glad we worked expediently to make that happen so he could fully evaluate things in house during the active season.
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#3 pellom Posted 08 April 2018 - 04:27 PM

pellom

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,265 posts
  • Joined 24-May 14
Although it’s not the guy most of us wanted at least it will be nice to get the process started.

#4 Scrapper1 Posted 08 April 2018 - 05:53 PM

Scrapper1

Sean May... Krispy-Kreme MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Joined 03-June 12
Think he will do well. Hes about to prove a point in Charlotte. Turn this franchise around and take it to another level. Smart draft picks, winning culture, key signings and trimming the fat from the team is much needed.
" It's rare i listen to people who never been in my position, a caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions"

#5 Mustachio Posted 09 April 2018 - 11:03 AM

Mustachio

• Honorary Beagle

• 5,933 posts
  • Joined 11-July 06

Glad we worked expediently to make that happen so he could fully evaluate things in house during the active season.

I would agree but.... How much planning and evaluation will it take to say yes to MJ, Buzz and whoever was the RA in their college dorm?   

Into the crevasse!

"Climb down Lemon, Climb down"Posted Image

#6 Adam42R Posted 09 April 2018 - 11:14 AM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 7,215 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

I would agree but.... How much planning and evaluation will it take to say yes to MJ, Buzz and whoever was the RA in their college dorm?

You do have to do a lot of prep work on "how" you say yes. Contorted looks won't get you very far ;) Believe Queen Elsa says it best, "conceal, don't reveal."
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#7 Twan's Kin Posted 09 April 2018 - 06:42 PM

Twan's Kin

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Joined 19-January 10

Y'all think Kupchak will say "It's time we get rid of Clifford and get another coach."   ?

#8 cltblkhscoach Posted 09 April 2018 - 07:32 PM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,126 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
Im giving Mitch the benefit of the doubt for now. In the interim Ive been watching classic Hornets games on youtube and enjoying life. Lol

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#9 Adam42R Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:23 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 7,215 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

I place this into the same bucket I find the "Silas for president" votes. If the guy was so effective in his co-star role, why did we need to change things up in the first place. It seems that we, either the FO or the fan base, have a strange faith in all but the titular role players.

#10 WIAN Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:51 PM

WIAN

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,058 posts
  • Joined 01-November 08

Y'all think Kupchak will say "It's time we get rid of Clifford and get another coach." ?

If he's here 48hrs after season's end we're in for another year of Clifford ball. And if that's the case we could've rolled with Cho for another year.

#11 JGib23 Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:22 AM

JGib23

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,427 posts
  • Joined 27-October 08

I'm not expecting any revelations at the news conference today... just vanilla answers.

I do think the hiring of Kupchak does signal that this will be a retool on the fly vs. a complete rebuild. Mitch is too old to oversee a 5 year rebuild.

I think he keeps Clifford but, I at least hope he makes him change the staff up and I would love to see him force an offensive coordinator type of hire on the bench. Cliff is known for his defense ( which I think is suspect in today's NBA based on the amount of open 3 point looks we give up).. someone that can help Cliff with rotations and drawing up inbounds plays would be fantastic.

#12 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 10 April 2018 - 10:41 AM

GeraldWallaceMVP

Dwight's Only Fan

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,065 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC

I'm not expecting any revelations at the news conference today... just vanilla answers.

I do think the hiring of Kupchak does signal that this will be a retool on the fly vs. a complete rebuild. Mitch is too old to oversee a 5 year rebuild.

I think he keeps Clifford but, I at least hope he makes him change the staff up and I would love to see him force an offensive coordinator type of hire on the bench. Cliff is known for his defense ( which I think is suspect in today's NBA based on the amount of open 3 point looks we give up).. someone that can help Cliff with rotations and drawing up inbounds plays would be fantastic.

Mitch is 63, that's 8 years younger than mike krzyzewski and I don't think mike krzyzewski will be retiring anytime soon. Not saying I'm a huge Mitch fan but I don't think Mitch will be retiring anytime soon unless he gets forced out

#13 cltblkhscoach Posted 10 April 2018 - 01:32 PM

cltblkhscoach

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,126 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
From Mitch Kupchak Press Conference

- He's open to moving the 1st round pick we have in order to get a good player and help out the salary cap situation

- Disappointing season given the talent on the roster but injuries and cohesion were issues. Not happy where the team is currently based on its record, but there are pieces there that can be moved around and improved upon

- There will be discussion in the offseason regarding the style of play that fits the players on the roster

- If you are rebuilding - Hornets not necessarily in that mode - must go through draft first, then trades. Free agency isnt as big as it used to be with new rules in place.

- Cap room is incredibly important in making sign and trade type deals and trying to acquire assets.

- Felt like Steve Clifford was HC material back when he was in LA, but did not think he would get his opportunity as soon as he did here.

- Didnt want to elaborate on Clifford further because he has only been here 48 hours.

- Mentioned different ways of analyzing players from years ago - spoke at length about analytics and data and having the right people to break that down, but believes that instincts are superior to data still.

- Thinks market size is not a big deal anymore with the rules in place to help the smaller markets out. Also thinks Charlotte is a great city overall.

- Looks at the types of players in the 1st round differently than you look at the types of players you choose in the 2nd round. Believes in BPA but if evaluations are close, the position factors in. But is not afraid to take a better talent player and make a trade down the road.

- Very interesting on Kemba, he says Kemba's comments are ones he has heard before based on the agent that represents him. But he says I dont know why you wouldnt want to have a player like that going forward. Says player interviews will be done over the next couple of days.

25 minutes in it is still going, but thats what I got for now

#14 JGib23 Posted 10 April 2018 - 01:43 PM

JGib23

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,427 posts
  • Joined 27-October 08

I really liked what I heard about "style of play"... Hopefully, we will see big changes in style of play next year no matter who the coach is...

#15 Mustachio Posted 10 April 2018 - 01:58 PM

Mustachio

• Honorary Beagle

• 5,933 posts
  • Joined 11-July 06

I really liked what I heard about "style of play"... Hopefully, we will see big changes in style of play next year no matter who the coach is...

He basically described the exact opposite of Steve Clifford when talking about style of play.  I don't get the impression that Clifford will be the coach if we're gonna read into that.  

Otherwise... same shit, different tie.   I'm not gonna read anything into any of it... he sounded like he barely knew the letters NBA but he's only been in town for 12 hours.  

If I never hear the words UNC associated with this franchise again it will be too soon. 

Into the crevasse!

#16 Icky Thump Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:12 PM

Icky Thump

Sean May... Krispy-Kreme MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Joined 28-June 07

Reporter: "How much or how little do you think this team is gonna need to be rebuilt?"

Kup: "Once again, Ok I've watched it on T.V. a little bit, I don't know the ins and the outs, of ummm... of much. I hope to learn a lot more in the next couple days. I don't know if that's the correct word to use or not. You know, I think our actions ya know in the next three months might answer that question; but to sit here today and say that this is a team that we have to rebuild, I don't think that's fair, I just don't have the information for you right now."

-------------------------------------------------------

Now I'm trying to be fair but don't you think coming in and interviewing for a job and position especially such as a GM you'd have a better idea on these things? I mean sure its talking heads with reporters here and he's not wanting to show his hand maybe, but if you go to an interview for a GM position don't they kind of want to know what you have in mind for the organization you're interviewing? He doesn't a plan? He's "watched it on T.V. a little bit"? REALLY?!

That's not exactly helping me get behind the hire or the organization after some really disappointing seasons.

T73It2l.gifTime to nut up or shut up!

#17 Mustachio Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:49 PM

Mustachio

• Honorary Beagle

• 5,933 posts
  • Joined 11-July 06

Reporter: "How much or how little do you think this team is gonna need to be rebuilt?"

Kup: "Once again, Ok I've watched it on T.V. a little bit, I don't know the ins and the outs, of ummm... of much. I hope to learn a lot more in the next couple days. I don't know if that's the correct word to use or not. You know, I think our actions ya know in the next three months might answer that question; but to sit here today and say that this is a team that we have to rebuild, I don't think that's fair, I just don't have the information for you right now."

-------------------------------------------------------

Now I'm trying to be fair but don't you think coming in and interviewing for a job and position especially such as a GM you'd have a better idea on these things? I mean sure its talking heads with reporters here and he's not wanting to show his hand maybe, but if you go to an interview for a GM position don't they kind of want to know what you have in mind for the organization you're interviewing? He doesn't a plan? He's "watched it on T.V. a little bit"? REALLY?!

That's not exactly helping me get behind the hire or the organization after some really disappointing seasons.

That's exactly the vibe I got during the whole intro presser.   Does he even know who's on our roster?   Calling Jokic... "that guy out in Denver", just none of it seemed like a stellar interview is what got him the job. 

Then Polk saying we hired him because of his connections around the league, and then Kupchak saying... " None of that means anything, GM's don't make a deal based on friendships"

Again... I knew nothing of importance would be said, and it did seem like Polk was there staring at him like he was a hostage.  So who knows what he was allowed to say... but the entire time felt like Kupchak was hired because he once touched the flowing robe of Dean Smith.    Trying to keep an open mind here but...

Into the crevasse!

#18 Mustachio Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:59 PM

Mustachio

• Honorary Beagle

• 5,933 posts
  • Joined 11-July 06

They admitted in the press conference that he met with the Hornets like 4 weeks ago.  So why did we go out last night at 2am to get a Walmart Bakery cake to welcome him? 

Into the crevasse!

#19 cltblkhscoach Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:47 PM

cltblkhscoach

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,126 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06

Mitch certainly did not give a whole heartfelt endorsement to Steve Clifford for sure. Chris Mannix, I think one of the main writes with the NBA for Sports Illustrated, came on WFNZ Primetime recently and fully endorsed Steve. 

My take is sometimes a guy is right in the right situation, but that situation changes and he may not be right here anymore, but he's right somewhere else. It may just be time for Cliff to go, especially with Mitch saying he's head coach material but he was surprised Cliff was a HC so soon. 

#20 JGib23 Posted 10 April 2018 - 04:04 PM

JGib23

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,427 posts
  • Joined 27-October 08

Mitch just finished an interview on WFNZ and again talked about style of play.. talked about an up tempo, 3 point shooting teams are fun to watch, get good ratings, etc...

Based on what has said today, I will not be shocked if Clifford is gone (didn't feel this way before today)... at the very least, Clifford will be asked to change his system (my opinion)

I would love to see a lineup of Kemba, Monk, Batum, MKG, and Cody for long stretches next year where we play fast and switch everything on defense (vs. help defense we currently play that leads to loads of wide open 3's)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users