•  
Photo

How was that NCAA training camp tournament thing?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 dnbman Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:43 PM

dnbman

Existential Crisis Manager

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,888 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

How are we looking for prospects this year? Anyone in the NCAA tournament seem like a good fit and available to us at our pick?

#2 dav7z Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:59 PM

dav7z

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,044 posts
  • Joined 16-June 06

at 11 some one should fall to us  . But from what I have seen it  is a lot of over hype.  Some one  projected to go in the teens might even end up the ROY this year . I am not a fan of most of the big players  . A lot of them play the old school style of play . Some of you experts give us a few names 

#3 dav7z Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:13 PM

dav7z

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,044 posts
  • Joined 16-June 06

After some thought I think I would like M Bridges  if he falls to us . He's solid on both sides of the ball.

#4 Whiz Kid Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:25 PM

Whiz Kid

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Joined 11-April 12

If this is going to be the draft thread then this is all I've been waiting for for months. I still lurk here from time to time but I don't post. Here are my ideal scenarios...

if we believe Malik is a long term 2 guard, which I do.

Trade Kemba for Cleveland's pick (whatever the deal takes besides giving up our own)

#8. Trae Young

#11) Miles Bridges/Kevin Knox (Wendell Carter would also be ideal but I believe he'll be gone by this pick)

#55) Jarred Vanderbilt/Malik Pope/Shamorie Ponds/

if we believe Malik is a long term PG, which I don't but we've been playing him more on ball than off.

Again, trade Kemba for Cleveland's pick

#8. Mikal Bridges

#11) Kevin Knox

#55) Being that this is a late second rounder, same as before.

Give the keys to the youth and groom them, in a couple years we could have our own Portland/Washington (ceiling pre-KD Warriors but that's far fetched) level team moving forward, at the very least. Part of the reason I feel like these teams have been successful is that their cornerstone players are guys drafted around the same time with complimentary playing styles that got to grow together. I love Kemba, but I feel like we are past this point with him, and I think it'd be mutually beneficial long term to part ways with him if we can get a second pick in the lottery. I'd rather brighten our future than try to scramble and save face with what we have now. We literally have nothing to lose. Realistically do I think we'll trade Kemba? No. But like I said, these are my ideal scenarios to give us a future to be excited about.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#5 Keetch Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:54 AM

Keetch

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,725 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06
I think the other 3 (not named Brunson and Bridges) at Villanova may have a say in this. Paschall, Spellman and DiVicenzo are 3 guys would havent yet decided. I’d take any of them if available. Im pretty sure Bridges will be gone by Pick 11. We won too many games.
Rollin' in Doh

#6 cltblkhscoach Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:24 AM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,126 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
This time last year, Malik wasnt even in our dreams at 11. Lets not assume most guys are not available just yet.

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#7 dnbman Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:28 AM

dnbman

• Moderators

• 5,888 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

I think the other 3 (not named Brunson and Bridges) at Villanova may have a say in this. Paschall, Spellman and DiVicenzo are 3 guys would havent yet decided. I’d take any of them if available. Im pretty sure Bridges will be gone by Pick 11. We won too many games.

So frustrating when the guy that looks like an ideal player for us is just a couple of picks out of our reach. Hopefully we get a solid contributor. 

#8 dnbman Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:30 AM

dnbman

• Moderators

• 5,888 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

This time last year, Malik wasnt even in our dreams at 11. Lets not assume most guys are not available just yet.

I'm still high on Malik, so don't read anything into this. However, it's too early to use Malik as an example of a great pick that fell to us. If anything, it seems pretty clear why he fell. That's not to say he wasn't the right pick or, your main point, that a guy we like won't drop. 

#9 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 14 April 2018 - 03:17 PM

GeraldWallaceMVP

Dwight's Only Fan

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,066 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC
I don’t get the whole idea of you can’t win with a low post center as your main cog.

Maybe that’s because I was the crappy white version of Al Jefferson my whole life so i’m a bit biased

But I think if you have someone like prime Dwight, Duncan, Garnett, Shaq, Ewing, Stoudmire etc you can win big in the modern era if you surround them with shooters.

#10 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 14 April 2018 - 03:26 PM

GeraldWallaceMVP

Dwight's Only Fan

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,066 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC
I mean hell we did good surrounding Al Jefferson with meh players

#11 dnbman Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:03 PM

dnbman

• Moderators

• 5,888 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

I mean hell we did good surrounding Al Jefferson with meh players

It could work but I think the biggest problem is pace. With the league generally getting quicker and the better teams having great shooters, it's hard to pound it down low and keep up.

If you had a terrific defense and a great transition game, I'm sure it could work, but generally those back to the basket guys are slower. Even at hitting over 50%, they're not keeping up with the points produced by multiple outside shooters. 

Again, it can work, I'm sure, but it's easier to put together 5 guys who can run and shoot and outgun the other team than it is to find that classic down low player and surround with spot up shooters.

#12 Chef Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:38 PM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,268 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

It could work but I think the biggest problem is pace. With the league generally getting quicker and the better teams having great shooters, it's hard to pound it down low and keep up.

If you had a terrific defense and a great transition game, I'm sure it could work, but generally those back to the basket guys are slower. Even at hitting over 50%, they're not keeping up with the points produced by multiple outside shooters.

Again, it can work, I'm sure, but it's easier to put together 5 guys who can run and shoot and outgun the other team than it is to find that classic down low player and surround with spot up shooters.

I think you are focused on the wrong side of the court. If your center can't switch on a p&r or be anything other than a rim guarder, you are doomed.

#13 buckets Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:05 PM

buckets

• Honorary Beagle

• 4,973 posts
  • Joined 27-June 15

I don’t get the whole idea of you can’t win with a low post center as your main cog.

Maybe that’s because I was the crappy white version of Al Jefferson my whole life so i’m a bit biased

But I think if you have someone like prime Dwight, Duncan, Garnett, Shaq, Ewing, Stoudmire etc you can win big in the modern era if you surround them with shooters.

I don't necessarily disagree but with the exception of Stoudamire those guys are HOF's and mostly elite defenders in their primes. Garnett in particular was arguably THE GOAT defender and a great passer, not a high volume low post guy. 

Ewing? Eh, he basically turned into a jump shooting chucker as he aged. Not sure he'd translate nearly as well as multi-skilled perimiter C's like KAT, Jokic, Embiid, Gasol, etc...

By a pretty decent margin I'd take Gobert over Ewing. And IMO Mourning even translates a little better too.

#Chodidthemath

#14 cltblkhscoach Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:23 PM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,126 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
Who in the draft has a low post game that can play as an athletic 5? The Aydon guy from Arizona? Is that it?

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#15 dav7z Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:27 PM

dav7z

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,044 posts
  • Joined 16-June 06

Any one know any thing about the 6/6 P/G from Kentucky  . I like his size but know nothing about  other parts of his game

Bagley is about it I think. Carter from Duke has real slow foot speed. I expect him to drop once workouts start.

#16 Elden Payton Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:05 PM

Elden Payton

The Dust Chip

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Joined 05-November 11

Any one know any thing about the 6/6 P/G from Kentucky . I like his size but know nothing about other parts of his game

Bagley is about it I think. Carter from Duke has real slow foot speed. I expect him to drop once workouts start.

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

I like him at #11.

He's not a great athlete and I'm interested to see his combine numbers.

He has good lateral quickness but lacks explosiveness in terms of vertical and first step.

He can handle the ball, he can pass and he can catch and shoot.

He almost walks into the lane, his ability to change direction is special but I'm not sure how He will deal with NBA caliber athletes.

He has some nifty floaters and is dangerous around the rim with his length, he's only 180 pounds though and needs to get much stronger to finish through contact.

To start out as KY's least heralded recruit and end up as the leader and his teams best player shows his character and work ethic IMO.

I like Dell Carter, I hope he falls to us IMO.

I think that playing next to Bagley made him appear a lesser athlete than he is.

#17 buckets Posted 05 May 2018 - 11:03 AM

buckets

• Honorary Beagle

• 4,973 posts
  • Joined 27-June 15

He tends to be a draft contrarian and is often proven correct. The 2 that stand out are JJJ and Huerter. He's likely a spot too high on JJJ but his physical tools + basketball acumen are  impressive. Defensively...yikes. Inside or out, offensive players sweat just knowing how much ground he covers.

I've had a chance to watch Huerter live a couple of times and came away perplexed even his Freshman year that he wasn't rated at all, or rated as a 2nd rounder. The ability to fly off screens and handle Pick & Roll is a great combination to possess.

#Chodidthemath

#18 Adam42R Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:46 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 7,215 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

He tends to be a draft contrarian and is often proven correct. The 2 that stand out are JJJ and Huerter. He's likely a spot too high on JJJ but his physical tools + basketball acumen are  impressive. Defensively...yikes. Inside or out, offensive players sweat just knowing how much ground he covers.

I've had a chance to watch Huerter live a couple of times and came away perplexed even his Freshman year that he wasn't rated at all, or rated as a 2nd rounder. The ability to fly off screens and handle Pick & Roll is a great combination to possess.

I don't pass myself off as some draft-aware guy outside of the few guys that I get to see enough that they make an impression (e.g. that warning Collins was worth his salt).  Knowing roughly where we'll be picking, I like Okogie.  I don't know what you do with his height (and our roster) but I love the guys that just never stop.

Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#19 buckets Posted 06 May 2018 - 06:57 AM

buckets

• Honorary Beagle

• 4,973 posts
  • Joined 27-June 15

I don't pass myself off as some draft-aware guy outside of the few guys that I get to see enough that they make an impression (e.g. that warning Collins was worth his salt).  Knowing roughly where we'll be picking, I like Okogie.  I don't know what you do with his height (and our roster) but I love the guys that just never stop.

Homer or otherwise you were super early on Collins. Pretty sure HP was fairly unique in having him top 10 worthy.

#Chodidthemath

#20 Chef Posted 06 May 2018 - 07:43 AM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,268 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08
Let's just say this guy is right, it may be better to get the 2 or 3 pick rather than outright win the lottery. The pressure to take "the next embiid" in ayton would be enormous.

The other big fear would be mj demanding bagley being the pick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users