6 replies to this topic

#1 Chef Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:53 AM

Chef

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• Honorary Beagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,011 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

our laptop crapped out this weekend. my wife uses it 90% of the time for work stuff. i rarely use it. she has an iphone and really wanted a mac so she can move photos etc seamlessly. we bought a mac bookpro yesterday. it only has 128gb hard drive. bottom line is we need an external hard drive to keep the computer with enough memory but allows her to access her pictures easily.

i am looking for a hard drive that has 500gb minimum and hooks into the router so it backs up automatically. we already have one that has to be plugged into the computer so it never gets used. the apple air thing sounds right but there is zero chance i pay $400 for it. (i loathe apple's business practices) 

of course the drive has to get along fine with apple and i would like it to be no more than $200. the cheaper the better as long as it gets the job done. 

any thoughts would be appreciated.

#2 Adam42R Posted 07 May 2018 - 09:58 AM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,657 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
You can buy pair of hybrid drives and an open caddy (holds two .5" drives) to attach via usb. I use them with old 5400rpm drives for backups. Slow as piss but it you use hybrid SSD/7200 rpm drives, shouldn't be awful. The caddy is like 59, the drives should be like 75 per.
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#3 Chef Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:30 AM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,011 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

You can buy pair of hybrid drives and an open caddy (holds two .5" drives) to attach via usb. I use them with old 5400rpm drives for backups. Slow as piss but it you use hybrid SSD/7200 rpm drives, shouldn't be awful. The caddy is like 59, the drives should be like 75 per.

usualsuspects.gif?w=634

#4 Adam42R Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:24 AM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,657 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
Will find you the parts in Amazon and post this evening. Basically think you can get there and then some for about $200.
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#5 Chef Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:28 PM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,011 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

Will find you the parts in Amazon and post this evening. Basically think you can get there and then some for about $200.

so i have been doing some googling. it seems what I want is a NAS. i won't need it to be streaming video basically just a dumping ground to free up the computer from pictures and cell phone video files. maybe hook up a printer at some point. we only have one computer and cell phones which i guess if we could we could back up to it too. 

#6 Adam42R Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:57 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,657 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
A good NAS is great but it's not really a backup, it's just what it says it is, network attached storage. A good backup arrangement with one is where its your in-house repository that sums up to your cloud storage. Upside is that all the latency in that push moves to the NAS, and it gives you immediate access to your backed up data (albeit in it's local state).

I have been eyeing a Synology DS4 and DS5 series for about as many years as I have been here and still haven't pulled the trigger. My wife and I are likely going to that for her business but it's not cheap, the NAS itself is several hundred and the appropriate disks are likely $100/per. When you get into NAS, there's really zero value in buying the low end stuff over what I was suggesting above "IMO" which is the drives but no RAID controller but nothing to really break either. And just plugging a pair of drives in with one USB is dead simple on anything from Mac to Win to Linux.

#7 Adam42R Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:35 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,657 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

FWIW Chef, this is the type of caddy I was thinking about - looks like it does the mirroring (copying from one disk to the other for redundancy) for you which is slick.  NO idea how well it works at that job.  https://www.amazon.c...ernal enclosure   I just use a dumb version of this with some old drives in it for break-glass backups.

I was suggesting hybrid drives because they are cheaper than pure SSD drives but have a bit of a speed burst over traditional 5400 or 7200 RPM drives.  The RPM speed indicates how fast a traditional magnetic drive spins and is a good indicator of speed.  In retrospect, if you are only ever writing "to" the drive and not pulling stuff like media (pictures or other media where file access is a bonus), the flash drive part won't really benefit you.  You can likely just go with a good quality 2.5" 7200 RPM drive (this should be a good one -  The benefit of this vs buying a backup drive enclosure is that those are very much for one use only and aren't as easily repurposed (e.g. like buying one of these enclosures and making the drive something you take with you (https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-2-5-inches-SATA-Drive-Enclosure/dp/B01N5RLG2C/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1525743239&sr=1-4&keywords=2.5%22+hdd+enclosure).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users