#1 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:38 PM

GeraldWallaceMVP

Dwight's Only Fan

• 1000+ posts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC

Triano is more offensivley focused. Young guards have developed well under him he's coached Devin Booker and CJ McCollum

#2 Scrapper1 Posted 20 May 2018 - 04:29 PM

Scrapper1

Sean May... Krispy-Kreme MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Joined 03-June 12
@wojespn: Jay Triano has agreed to become the top assistant on James Borrego's new coaching staff with the Charlotte Hornets, league sources tell ESPN.
" It's rare i listen to people who never been in my position, a caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions"

#3 dnbman Posted 20 May 2018 - 04:51 PM

dnbman

Existential Crisis Manager

• Moderators

• 5,897 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

Other thoughts on how these two might operate? What they'll prioritize? 

I'll be honest, outside of our coaches, Pop is the only one I've even passingly paid attention to in a decade.

#4 Twan's Kin Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:34 PM

Twan's Kin

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Joined 19-January 10

Will Silas Jr. be on the coaching staff at the beginning of the season?

#5 Adam42R Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:46 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 7,253 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

Will Silas Jr. be on the coaching staff at the beginning of the season?

Not to sound negative but I hope not. That's not because I don't like Baby Silas or don't respect his value, just that I think if he had valuable input prior, it didn't resonate enough through Clifford.  And if it did, then I am not sure that it wouldn't undercut the new regime.  I am hopeful that the current assistants we've hired are aimed at both stability and development (with an nod to Kemba with acquiring his former trainer).

Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#6 powellrmp Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:16 PM

powellrmp

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,009 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16

Not to sound negative but I hope not. That's not because I don't like Baby Silas or don't respect his value, just that I think if he had valuable input prior, it didn't resonate enough through Clifford. And if it did, then I am not sure that it wouldn't undercut the new regime. I am hopeful that the current assistants we've hired are aimed at both stability and development (with an nod to Kemba with acquiring his former trainer).

Situation: my boss goes out on medical leave for a few months and I step in to continue his vision for the company. He comes back after a few moths and I've made significant employee changes within his company?

I don't think so. I don't think he had a lot of room to change things.

#7 Adam42R Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:03 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 7,253 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

Situation: my boss goes out on medical leave for a few months and I step in to continue his vision for the company. He comes back after a few moths and I've made significant employee changes within his company?

I don't think so. I don't think he had a lot of room to change things.

If you and your boss operate in a different contractual relationship to ownership than the rest of the talent, and that talent cannot be fired but you dictate and structure their work and thus are responsible for their performance, you have a correlation.  I don't think you do however.  It's hard to find a good model that works like coaching staffs/players/ownership-front office outside of the sports world.

Beyond that, it's a specious argument that Silas couldn't change anything.  He stated matter-of-factly that Clifford instructed him to do so.  That he didn't does not seem deferential, it seems like he lacked the creativity or huevos.

Furthermore, if you know - as the Assistant to the Boss - that Bonnie has no business being in Accounts Receivable, and Frank should never handle Accounts Payable and you put them in better places to succeed and you are punished for it?  Damn you work in an bass-ackward place to begin with.  Add to that you didn't see that problem OR you did but couldn't convey that through your Boss, that's all the more votes against as you just are either lacking vision or influence.

And if none of that moves the meter, and likely the real driver here; if they fire you and the boss because shit was run crapily and they hire a new boss and "hire you back" to the same role under that boss, man he's going to have one heck of a fun time with office politics going forward.  

But for all I know, they may very well hire him back at this point to a role lesser than what he previously had.  If I am him, that's probably the last thing I want as it pretty much says a lot of the stuff I am saying above.  

Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#8 Mustachio Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:05 AM

Mustachio

• Honorary Beagle

• 5,941 posts
  • Joined 11-July 06

Not to sound negative but I hope not. That's not because I don't like Baby Silas or don't respect his value, just that I think if he had valuable input prior, it didn't resonate enough through Clifford.  And if it did, then I am not sure that it wouldn't undercut the new regime.  I am hopeful that the current assistants we've hired are aimed at both stability and development (with an nod to Kemba with acquiring his former trainer).

Couldn't disagree more.   Silas is the only evidence we have of player development.  His work with Steph, and his work with Kemba before Clifford was here are enough for me to keep him on this staff.

Can't blame Silas for Clifford being an average coach.  

Into the crevasse!

"Climb down Lemon, Climb down"Posted Image

#9 cltblkhscoach Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:19 AM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,138 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06

I love Silas Jr. but he probably won't be back. His player development of guards though speaks for itself. 

I do hope Kreutzer the shooting coach comes back though. 

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#10 pellom Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:55 AM

pellom

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,266 posts
  • Joined 24-May 14
Silas was hired by the Mavs.

#11 Adam42R Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:31 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 7,253 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

Silas was hired by the Mavs.

Very happy for him and feel very strongly that the arc I describe, at least from an undercutting perspective, is why I am thankful he's not back here. Doesn't rule out a return later, just need to cut this cord.

#12 cltblkhscoach Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:43 PM

cltblkhscoach

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,138 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
Hired there to work his magic with Dennis Smith Jr. He will become a monster

#13 cltblkhscoach Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:45 PM

cltblkhscoach

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,138 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
But keep it about Triano before I get in trouble. Triano will bring some great offensive schemes with him here.

#14 Hornets686 Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:07 PM

Hornets686

Jeff "Sure I'll Start" McInnis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationConnecticut

Possible McCollum trade?

Triano is more offensivley focused. Young guards have developed well under him he's coached Devin Booker and CJ McCollum

#15 pellom Posted 28 May 2018 - 11:10 AM

pellom

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,266 posts
  • Joined 24-May 14

#16 pellom Posted 28 May 2018 - 03:25 PM

pellom

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,266 posts
  • Joined 24-May 14
Really excited about the staff direction.

#17 Adam42R Posted 28 May 2018 - 06:21 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 7,253 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

This is kind of interesting.

#18 pellom Posted 28 May 2018 - 09:51 PM

pellom

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,266 posts
  • Joined 24-May 14
Just adding this so it’s in the staff thread

#19 dnbman Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:42 AM

dnbman

Existential Crisis Manager

• Moderators

• 5,897 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

Just adding this so it’s in the staff thread

Any connection to Howard?

#20 Adam42R Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:44 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 7,253 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

Any connection to Howard?

No, came to ORL with Vaughn, post Dwight Era. Kemba affiliation actually. Perhaps he is the Mothman that will usher in a PDE here as well.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=khnDtvwfRIg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users