76 replies to this topic

#21 Scottley Crue Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:19 AM

Scottley Crue

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• 1000+ posts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts
  • Joined 06-January 14

People keep trying to slate monk as a pg. I am glad he played sg in summer league AND Graham was responsible for bringing the ball up. If you want monk to shine, play him off ball as a secondary ball handler.

Agreed. I think Monk is much better suited for the role you described here. He can make really good decisions with the ball and find people. He just doesn’t need to be handling the traditional PG duties. Just doesn't serve him or the team well.

It’s also something that makes me happy with Mitch & Coach JB; they see this and correct it. I think is one of the larger failings of the last regime here - incorrectly identifying where to play players. Monk is best suited at the 2, Batum the 3, and Cody the 5 (it took them a while & Big Al injury to figure that out). Arguably, MKG could be better at the 4 and Frank at the 5. Glad to see them slotting people in more natural, productive spots on the floor.

#22 Chef Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:23 AM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,468 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

Agreed. I think Monk is much better suited for the role you described here. He can make really good decisions with the ball and find people. He just doesn’t need to be handling the traditional PG duties. Just doesn't serve him or the team well.

It’s also something that makes me happy with Mitch & Coach JB; they see this and correct it. I think is one of the larger failings of the last regime here - incorrectly identifying where to play players. Monk is best suited at the 2, Batum the 3, and Cody the 5 (it took them a while & Big Al injury to figure that out). Arguably, MKG could be better at the 4 and Frank at the 5. Glad to see them slotting people in more natural, productive spots on the floor.

See, I don't see monk as a good decision maker. At least not yet.

But your second thought is spot on and it seems from Cliffords old school approach of positions not roles/skills. Also his rigidity on "over-size for position" .

Holding out hope that Mike sells.

#23 powellrmp Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:26 AM

powellrmp

Braindead Stupid 2020

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,537 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16
Oh cmon chef. I'm not slotting monk as a primary ball handler, but I am IF kemba is out for an extended period of time. Within that situation, yes, I do want (and expect) Monk to play some time as a combo guard.

If kemba is out, I believe we'll have a PG by committee situation.

#24 Chef Posted 07 July 2018 - 08:04 AM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,468 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

Oh cmon chef. I'm not slotting monk as a primary ball handler, but I am IF kemba is out for an extended period of time. Within that situation, yes, I do want (and expect) Monk to play some time as a combo guard.

I guess this is where we differ. Watching monk last year solidified him more as a sg than combo. It isn't in his DNA. I would focus him at the sg. If kemba were to go down, I would roll with parker, graham and even mkg as the 3 rd pt. Monk is a scorer and it is hard to be effective and not take away from everyone else as a scorer and primary handler

Holding out hope that Mike sells.

#25 powellrmp Posted 07 July 2018 - 08:53 AM

powellrmp

Braindead Stupid 2020

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,537 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16

I guess this is where we differ. Watching monk last year solidified him more as a sg than combo. It isn't in his DNA. I would focus him at the sg. If kemba were to go down, I would roll with parker, graham and even mkg as the 3 rd pt. Monk is a scorer and it is hard to be effective and not take away from everyone else as a scorer and primary handler

I think we're saying the same thing. It's just that I don't mind monk being a primary ball handler in small stretches as a time.

#26 ncborn Posted 07 July 2018 - 11:24 AM

ncborn

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Joined 01-July 17

If Kemba goes out or if he leaves after three years of not making the playoffs then we should all just skip the hard liquor and go straight to coke for some serious pain management. Parker, Monk and two undrafted rookies equals basketball hell.

This explains why we traded that kid from Kentucky in the draft. The front office decided that it wanted to invest in Tony AARP Parker instead. I would take “talented inexperienced youth” over on “last leg cant stay healthy” any day of the week.

Anybody noticed that there’re was no real competition for Parker in the free agent market? We won because nobody else was playing.

#27 iowabobcat Posted 07 July 2018 - 11:32 AM

iowabobcat

The Dust Chip

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Joined 31-May 12

From a leadership standpoint I like the signing. Signing a 36 year old PG is obviously a risk production wise but $5 mil a year isn't bad. I'm ok with the signing, will be interesting if team isn't sitting well in playoff race but Parker playing well come deadline if a contender tries making a move for him. 

#28 Swedd523 Posted 07 July 2018 - 11:35 AM

Swedd523

• Moderators

• 9,648 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

If Kemba goes out or if he leaves after three years of not making the playoffs then we should all just skip the hard liquor and go straight to coke for some serious pain management. Parker, Monk and two undrafted rookies equals basketball hell.

I prefer Pepsi but I don't see how soda is gonna help more than some Woodford

#29 cltblkhscoach Posted 07 July 2018 - 11:36 AM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,052 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
Mitch said in a recent interview with WFNZ he thought Graham could be ready to contribute by January, so that could be plausible.

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#30 dav7z Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:00 PM

dav7z

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,155 posts
  • Joined 16-June 06

JB said Monk is a combo and he wasn't sceard to play him in both positions if he needed to. Last game he had some nice passes . Remember last season he played for Clifford

I wouldn't say he couldn't do something quite yet.

#31 nowhere fast Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:49 PM

nowhere fast

Crash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Joined 16-May 17

Agreed. He has enough on his plate, he should be working on his defense as a smaller 2. Trying to turn him into a point guard is just a distraction.

#32 ncborn Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:00 PM

ncborn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Joined 01-July 17

JB said Monk is a combo and he wasn't sceard to play him in both positions if he needed to. Last game he had some nice passes . Remember last season he played for Clifford

I wouldn't say he couldn't do something quite yet.

If I recall correctly you were talking rookie of the year and displacing MKG in the starting line up for Monk. It’s time to be more realistic about that kid. He’s talented but he can’t survive as a PG in the league.

#33 dav7z Posted 07 July 2018 - 11:09 PM

dav7z

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,155 posts
  • Joined 16-June 06

Some crazy people in this world

#34 powellrmp Posted 07 July 2018 - 11:27 PM

powellrmp

Braindead Stupid 2020

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,537 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16
would anyone jump on me if I called Malik monk a more dynamic monta Ellis?

#35 WIAN Posted 08 July 2018 - 12:22 AM

WIAN

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,218 posts
  • Joined 01-November 08

would anyone jump on me if I called Malik monk a more dynamic monta Ellis?

"More dynamic" than peak Monta and you're calling him an all-star. I think Monta / Lou Williams is who Malik could be at best and if that's the case and used accordingly I'm not mad at that. We have seen far worse.

#36 powellrmp Posted 08 July 2018 - 12:27 AM

powellrmp

Braindead Stupid 2020

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,537 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16

"More dynamic" than peak Monta and you're calling him an all-star. I think Monta / Lou Williams is who Malik could be at best and if that's the case and used accordingly I'm not mad at that. We have seen far worse.

Yes. I think monk *could* be an all star.

#37 Mich_Mercer Posted 08 July 2018 - 12:29 AM

Mich_Mercer

Keep Monk and MKG

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,786 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Yes. I think monk *could* be an all star.

I really think so too. He really does score with ease. Even last season, he didn't find it hard to score when given the chance.

#38 cltblkhscoach Posted 08 July 2018 - 12:36 AM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,052 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
Malik has more explosiveness in his game than Monta or Lou ever did. I think that's the biggest difference.

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#39 dnbman Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:45 AM

dnbman

Existential Crisis Manager

• Moderators

• 6,327 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

I really think so too. He really does score with ease. Even last season, he didn't find it hard to score when given the chance.

I love Monk. Excited to have the guy on the roster. But that's just not true. The first half of the season he missed loads of shots. Granted, you can make lots of arguments why, but he was still missing shots. He wasn't scoring very well, wasn't running the offense well, and struggled on defense. 

Some of y'all are trying to make it like we have this guy who could average 40 on day 1 in the league but was being held back by a bitter coach who didn't get what he want. 

You could second guess coach's decisions for sure, but bottom line is that dude wanted to win and made the decisions he thought would get there. 

Monk has issues with his game. And that's totally cool. We don't have to put the pressure on him to suddenly become Curry just because of a coaching change. 

Last Member: Nick Batum Fan Club

Professional Self-Loather

#40 dnbman Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:49 AM

dnbman

Existential Crisis Manager

• Moderators

• 6,327 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

Malik has more explosiveness in his game than Monta or Lou ever did. I think that's the biggest difference.

More explosiveness than Monta?? I think that was one his best attributes. He was lightening quick and could get to the rim at will. He only averaged 1 3pt shot made a game for his career and didn't averarge much more than .5 3s made until his 5th year. Dude made a career of being explosive.

They don't seam like really comparable players to me at all other than size.

Last Member: Nick Batum Fan Club

Professional Self-Loather

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users