10 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Barraclough Posted 16 July 2018 - 06:33 PM

Andrew Barraclough

Cardiac Kemba Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Joined 23-April 09
Do you even watch the Summer League? I don’t ever want to downplay anything the league does, honestly I don’t. The NBA is a year round phenomenon. The NFL tries to be but there is no competition outside of the August to February pre- regular and post- season schedules. I don’t even know about hockey and baseball stops in November and picks up again in like April. The NBA, didn’t the Warriors just beat whichever team Lebron played for in the East last weekend?

The Hornets were second favorite to win the summer league acording to some Vegas odds I saw on Twitter. That seems strong to me. It says something about a young core. I guess it does anyway.

I didn’t watch a single second of the Summer League. I saw a highlight. One, single, highlight.

Yeah that was badass. He tried some off the backboard stuff but that dunk was strong. I think I’m gonna like this kid Bridges.

The Summer League as a whole, is purported to be a huge waste of money. Like a luxury for people who already live luxuriously. Well maybe not a huge waste, but one of those business trips that you wish you could go on when you’re part of the support staff. It’s big business, and a cost of doing business to see what you have, coaches, players, prospects.

The Hornets lost to open the tournament play, so they are done. There were a couple injuries to report which I don’t like but there are dumber injuries to be found out there. Malik Monk supposedly broke his thumb but then it wasn’t a break. Devonte Graham has a lesion on his something something in his knee. So, for those reasons I don’t like the Summer League.

Another reason I don’t like summer league: you don’t get to see the players you want to see. An all world player is not going to run up and down and bang with some dude trying to make a G-League squad. It reminds me of the NC Pro-Am that I went to a couple summers back in Durham. I was all excited because John Wall, Raymond Felton and some other players with NC ties would show up from time to time but on a random Tuesday night? The Plumlees were the star attractions. We’re talking midsummer Duke years Plumlees but the most I remember was one or two of them playing in a wheelchair basketball scrimmage.

I’m not complaining about anything the league or the Hornets want to do. Please, showcase basketball year round and have Lebon show up in his ugly ass Lakers shorts to get people all juiced up. Bring about 40-60 people out to Vegas and show them a good time. Nothing makes a team come together better than $200 steaks and staying in a nice hotel. I just don’t want to watch it and I don’t want first rounders getting injured.

Click here to view the article

#2 ziggy Posted 16 July 2018 - 06:39 PM

ziggy

Administrator

• Administrators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,365 posts
  • Joined 05-January 06

My reaction when I first saw that dunk.

giphy.gif

Help support HornetsPlanet by using our affiliate link for your Amazon shopping needs!

#3 Adam42R Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:18 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 7,436 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
For what it's worth, Devonte wasn't injured in SL, they dmerely discovered the issue. One could argue that they discovered it sooner rather than later because of SL. Not sure I totally buy that but eh, it seems realistic based on it not being an injury but a condition.
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#4 cltblkhscoach Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:15 PM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,215 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06

Andrew, a lot of us were hyped for the Summer League. The thread has over 300 replies and it has generated a lot of NBA talk in an otherwise dead time. It's exciting to see the rookies for the first time and young players continue to develop. Maybe if you saw a little more of our first round pick or how Monk briefly looked you would get a little more excited man. Thanks for the article

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#5 Buzzau Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:08 PM

Buzzau

Crash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Joined 04-November 15
  • LocationMelbourne, Aus
It was more interesting this year having all the teams playing in Vegas. I dont get to see any college games so summer league gives me a chance to see what the rookies can do. I like that it also gives undrafted guys another chance to show off their skills under a new coach to possibly get signed.

#6 kitch0202 Posted 17 July 2018 - 03:17 AM

kitch0202

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• Members
  • 886 posts
  • Joined 22-December 11
  • LocationLondon, England.

I think Chef hit the nail on the head in the Summer League thread ... it tells you more about what a player can't do than what he will be able to do against NBA teams. From that perspective, it's so far so good for both our rookies.

"If we didn't have usernames, you would probably get in an argument with yourself" adam187

"The only time wasting delusion is engaging you with conversation on this website.  but I'm free till lunch biatch so lets roll." Mustachio

#7 Andrew Barraclough Posted 17 July 2018 - 12:45 PM

Andrew Barraclough

Cardiac Kemba Walker

• Members
  • 976 posts
  • Joined 23-April 09
Agreed with all of you. Excellent points. They did discover it rather than have an injury and yes, for hoop heads there is nothing better thanks for reading and commenting

#8 Chef Posted 17 July 2018 - 01:59 PM

Chef

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,396 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08
http://www.espn.com/...-surprise-stars

#9 dav7z Posted 19 July 2018 - 02:38 PM

dav7z

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,061 posts
  • Joined 16-June 06

Loved the summer league. Bridges is a monster . Can jump out the gym  . can shoot it a little . He has decent form on his jumper He only needs reps. Graham can pass it and has game . He looks to be a good rotation player if he stays healthy.  If Monk can get it all together he is all star material in a year or two. Willy put up a case  to be the back up center

With the kids this is a very deep team .  We talk rebuild  but this is a nice core now.

#10 powellrmp Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:47 PM

powellrmp

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,036 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16

I think Chef hit the nail on the head in the Summer League thread ... it tells you more about what a player can't do than what he will be able to do against NBA teams. From that perspective, it's so far so good for both our rookies.

Don't tell chef that, it'll get to his head.

#11 kitch0202 Posted 21 July 2018 - 01:07 PM

kitch0202

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• Members
  • 886 posts
  • Joined 22-December 11
  • LocationLondon, England.

Don't tell chef that, it'll get to his head.

Duly noted ... I’ll call him out on something random next time, to equalise the ego.

"If we didn't have usernames, you would probably get in an argument with yourself" adam187

"The only time wasting delusion is engaging you with conversation on this website.  but I'm free till lunch biatch so lets roll." Mustachio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users