5 replies to this topic

#1 pellom Posted 29 September 2018 - 12:55 PM

pellom

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• 1000+ posts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts
  • Joined 24-May 14
Hey guys, I’m looking at making my first trip to Charlotte for the Cavs game in early November.

Looking for recommendations of places to stay around the arena and places to eat, shop, sight see in the general area.

#2 Swedd523 Posted 29 September 2018 - 02:10 PM

Swedd523

• Moderators

• 9,380 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09
How old are you
What are you into
Single or married
Nightlife drinking or nice meals

Etc.

Need más información homes

#3 Adam42R Posted 29 September 2018 - 04:02 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 7,448 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

Hey guys, I’m looking at making my first trip to Charlotte for the Cavs game in early November.

Looking for recommendations of places to stay around the arena and places to eat, shop, sight see in the general area.

So if you are older, travelling with a SO, and want a high-end experience, I'd suggest looking into Ivey's or The Dunhill.  The former is really just really neat and a great place to stay/experience with a few attached bar and food options.  The Dunhill has a really neat Sunday brunch that is worth checking out.  Right up the street is (7th and Tryon) is a great bar experience in the cellar of Duckworth's - the mixed drinks are great.  And a fun thing to do after the game is Bar Cocoa under the Ritz at the corner of College and Trade (next to the arena).

On the lower end cost-wise, not like it's cheap but lower cost, would be Aloft at the Epicenter which is across from the arena.  There are plenty of lower cost food options in the Epicenter - like 5-Guys and similar.  

You can probably find a Air B&B option in Plaza Midwood, NoDa, Elizabeth, Chantilly and Uber it to the game, or find something along the light rail line and keep it very inexpensive but that might not make for as fun of an experience.

Other "shopping" experiences really aren't that abundant on the weekend uptown.  The Overstreet mall is interesting on weekdays however.  Shopping in Charlotte proper (on a weekend) is probably best found at either the Concord Mall or South Park Mall.  SP is the hoity toity mall option that I tend to think of.

Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#4 pellom Posted 29 September 2018 - 04:42 PM

pellom

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,347 posts
  • Joined 24-May 14

How old are you
What are you into
Single or married
Nightlife drinking or nice meals

Etc.

Need más información homes

Early twenties, coming with the wife. Only way I’m selling driving 4 hours to watch a basketball game is if the amenities are good. 😂

#5 pellom Posted 01 October 2018 - 02:01 PM

pellom

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,347 posts
  • Joined 24-May 14

So if you are older, travelling with a SO, and want a high-end experience, I'd suggest looking into Ivey's or The Dunhill. The former is really just really neat and a great place to stay/experience with a few attached bar and food options. The Dunhill has a really neat Sunday brunch that is worth checking out. Right up the street is (7th and Tryon) is a great bar experience in the cellar of Duckworth's - the mixed drinks are great. And a fun thing to do after the game is Bar Cocoa under the Ritz at the corner of College and Trade (next to the arena).

On the lower end cost-wise, not like it's cheap but lower cost, would be Aloft at the Epicenter which is across from the arena. There are plenty of lower cost food options in the Epicenter - like 5-Guys and similar.

You can probably find a Air B&B option in Plaza Midwood, NoDa, Elizabeth, Chantilly and Uber it to the game, or find something along the light rail line and keep it very inexpensive but that might not make for as fun of an experience.

Other "shopping" experiences really aren't that abundant on the weekend uptown. The Overstreet mall is interesting on weekdays however. Shopping in Charlotte proper (on a weekend) is probably best found at either the Concord Mall or South Park Mall. SP is the hoity toity mall option that I tend to think of.

Appreciate the info! I like the idea of the Epicenter. Also looking at the Omni across the street.

#6 Veteran_Picksetter Posted 06 October 2018 - 10:02 AM

Veteran_Picksetter

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,729 posts
  • Joined 30-May 10

Center City:

The Hornets of course, restaurants, skyscrapers, sports venues, etc.

Just a few blocks from the heart of the action is the Fourth Ward neighborhood, which makes for a quiet stroll with HINTS of Charleston and Savannah to it.

The permanent history exhibit at the Levine Museum of the New South if you are into that sort of the thing.

Levant Mediterranean near Duke Power and the Bechtler Museum. Best mediterranean I ever had, at least a few years ago. Hopefully it's still good. 

Epicenter? There's not anything like it in small towns. 

I dig the light rail. Stops right by the arena, of course. Just get a $6.60 worry-free all day pass. 

My favorite stops for exploring the city: 

East West Stop with Big Ben's British Pub, Atherton Mill, the Dilworth neighborhood, and Tyber Creek Pub not far away. I hear there is a new Common Market there, which I want to check out. It's a unique business concept you don't see in every town(Google it to see if it sounds interesting). 

Bland Street Stop

36th Street Stop for the "hipster neighborhood" experience (NoDa)

Most of the stops around the center city. 

(Random and stupid) You could recreate a scene from Shallow Hal in front of the church at 7th and Tryon.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users