4 replies to this topic

#1 Adam42R Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:07 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,448 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
Going to avoid straight up "prediction" but here's my expectations for this season and bottom line, I think the national media has us pretty wrong. With our last two years outscoring opponents yet still finishing with 36-win seasons, I have to believe we have - at our core - the potential for a .500 season with more sane coaching and zero personnel changes from last year. And I don't see how anyone in our Division got significantly better since May. And the East has even fewer foes than in year's past.

Beyond that stuff, in my view, we have both additions and addition through subtraction between the pick up of MB (and DG to a lesser degree) in the draft, TP from an BBIQ perspective leading the bench even if minimal minutes and that glorious subtraction of DH. And I like that everyone less Kemba has been put on notice on PT from day 1. That might be the most significant change I can imagine between this administration and the prior. None of that touches the "what" this coaching staff does in-game coaching and the last as we'll know that better as time goes. But for now, I like the "how" - from the 12 second shot clock training to the shuffling of players and positions to what we've seen so far regarding substitution patterns. That all seems more "sane" than what we became used to seeing.

As for those expectations, I have been thinking about this a lot leading up to the season opener and am very curious things play out. If I am right, we should not expect big rebounding numbers over the course of the year from our centers, we should see our wings tick up in that category a good bit and some screen rebounding from our bigs.

Kemba may still get all the minutes he's gotten over the last few seasons and lead the team but I doubt he's run nearly as many meters by the end of the game as he has previously nor made nearly as many dribbles. Not that I think you can take the ball fully out of Kemba's hands, but I am hopeful that we'll see him cutting a lot without the ball and also be afforded to spot up in a corner from time to time to lower the tread wear.

I think Lamb is the starter, for perhaps the year, at SG but I don't see him as logging as many minutes as Malik and certainly think there's potential for Monk to have the bigger impact. I also expect we see Monk play a different type of defense than Clifford would have demanded and wouldn't be shocked if he logged quite a number of deflections and steals this year.

I don't see Biz getting many minutes outside of injury but do expect that Willy will play on par with Cody on minutes. Where Frank fits in is still confusing to me but I won't be surprised if we can get out of 2018 without needing him at the 5 with either Cody or Willy going down in a heap for a while.

MKG at the 4 should be where we are at and him coming off the bench is probably the best lineup. While I can hear folks now upset that he doesn't stretch the court, I think there are more ways to move the defense than distance shooting and his ability to put his head down from 25' out and drive to the rack has me excited to see what he can do with a bigger slower cover on him (either from getting to the rack or dishing if there's help). But I expect too that we see more than just two "Ms" at the 4, I hope we see Miles in there too and him sharing time at SF as well. And I expect folks will still hate on Nic but I expect him to get back to a 14/7/7ish type season.

That's me, what you guys say?
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#2 Buzzau Posted 16 October 2018 - 10:23 PM

Buzzau

Crash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  • Joined 04-November 15
  • LocationMelbourne, Aus
I want Miles to be a starter by the end of the season, some solid improvement from Monk and we should make the playoffs.

I wouldn't mind seeing Billy as starting C by the end of the season too.

Biz should get some of Codys minutes when we play against the bigger guys like Deandre Jordan.

#3 Chef Posted 17 October 2018 - 07:20 AM

Chef

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,404 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

too much redundancy on the roster without a whole lot of dynamic play outside of kemba. 

this team desperately needs a partner for kemba to offset the scoring load on a nightly basis. as much as i don't think you can win championships or even get there with kevin love as your 2nd best player (unless lebron is your best), a player like love who would avg close to 20pts per game and not take away from kemba would go along way to getting around 45-50 wins.

if i were the hornets, i would try to get jimmy butler but i would not give up bridges. i would give up monk to get butler.

the center position (frank and biz) needs to be reduced by half and marv needs to find a new home.

#4 pellom Posted 17 October 2018 - 07:40 AM

pellom

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,347 posts
  • Joined 24-May 14

too much redundancy on the roster without a whole lot of dynamic play outside of kemba.

this team desperately needs a partner for kemba to offset the scoring load on a nightly basis. as much as i don't think you can win championships or even get there with kevin love as your 2nd best player (unless lebron is your best), a player like love who would avg close to 20pts per game and not take away from kemba would go along way to getting around 45-50 wins.

if i were the hornets, i would try to get jimmy butler but i would not give up bridges. i would give up monk to get butler.

the center position (frank and biz) needs to be reduced by half and marv needs to find a new home.

This is my feeling as well. We have too many bland players.

My expectation is that we win more games than last year. I don’t know how many more and I don’t know if that means a playoff spot. But there should be no regression.

#5 spaceshoes Posted 17 October 2018 - 12:36 PM

spaceshoes

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,034 posts
  • Joined 12-August 15
  • LocationFort Mill, SC
I'm expecting a good season. I'm expecting closing out games where we didn't last year. I'm expecting Parker to hold down the second unit like it hasn't been in the last 2 years. I'm expecting Kemba to be Kemba but log fewer minutes thus be more prodictive. I'm expecting our young guys to be up and down, but overall be prodictive. I'm expecting to enjoy watching a few playoff games at the Spectrum Center. I'm hoping I'm not going to be disappointed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users