7 replies to this topic

#1 justin credible Posted 06 December 2018 - 06:28 PM

justin credible

Jeff "Sure I'll Start" McInnis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Joined 02-June 13
Since the draft is a huge gamble why dont we use our firsts to bring in a couple of legitimate players. If we can use them on PROVEN talent who are still either about to hit their prime or just starting their prime then it could be a solid plan. I'm not condoning pulling a billy king and use them for washed up vets but someone like Beal. Hell, I'd give up 3 for Anthony Davis. I mean what's Charlotte gonna do with those picks? If history has proven anything they will probably be wasted. Make sure the picks are exchanged while your team is a perennial playoff team and all you're really losing is late 1st rounders. And if you can put together a contender players will come play for you cheap. Just an idea

#2 dnbman Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:15 PM

dnbman

Existential Crisis Manager

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,972 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

Since the draft is a huge gamble why dont we use our firsts to bring in a couple of legitimate players. If we can use them on PROVEN talent who are still either about to hit their prime or just starting their prime then it could be a solid plan. I'm not condoning pulling a billy king and use them for washed up vets but someone like Beal. Hell, I'd give up 3 for Anthony Davis. I mean what's Charlotte gonna do with those picks? If history has proven anything they will probably be wasted. Make sure the picks are exchanged while your team is a perennial playoff team and all you're really losing is late 1st rounders. And if you can put together a contender players will come play for you cheap. Just an idea

That's not a bad idea if you're already successful and want to continue being successful. The problem with teams like ours is you need rookie contracts to keep you under the cap. So, unless you're getting great talent for really cheap (an exceedingly rare commodity), then value-wise you're better off drafting. 

Obviously you see everyone on your roster and picks as assets and move them if it makes sense to do so. However, it's probably not financially viable to trade your rookies for quality veterans.

#3 justin credible Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:10 PM

justin credible

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Joined 02-June 13

That's not a bad idea if you're already successful and want to continue being successful. The problem with teams like ours is you need rookie contracts to keep you under the cap. So, unless you're getting great talent for really cheap (an exceedingly rare commodity), then value-wise you're better off drafting.

Obviously you see everyone on your roster and picks as assets and move them if it makes sense to do so. However, it's probably not financially viable to trade your rookies for quality veterans.

I remember a few years ago when cho put forth that argument, but the truth is there's always cheap talent to be had. Whether 2nd round picks, the g league, aging vets looking for a bench role, or players out of the league looking to make a comeback, there always affordable talent available. My only worry with the scenario I laid out would be that it might make us a top heavy team.

#4 eshelmon Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:52 AM

eshelmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Joined 04-July 13
  • LocationGreensboro

I have no problem moving picks for quality, don’t remember Mitch having any problem moving picks in la, if not now it’s because of owner. Houston offered the max the 4 1rst for butler, id do same with Davis, but as with timberwolves doesn’t mean pelicans are interested

#5 Chef Posted 07 December 2018 - 07:25 AM

Chef

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,450 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

i will throw this in here because i don't even think i can hear myself out

but if you wanted to go the desperate route and really lock yourself in

call the spurs and offer biz, lamb and top 3 protected 1st for derozan

#6 Mich_Mercer Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:29 AM

Mich_Mercer

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,208 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC

i will throw this in here because i don't even think i can hear myself out

but if you wanted to go the desperate route and really lock yourself in

call the spurs and offer biz, lamb and top 3 protected 1st for derozan

I’d be so down with this.

#7 Chef Posted Today, 07:01 AM

Chef

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,450 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

I’d be so down with this.

i have this feeling that this is the player they will move to get.

this feeling is not a good one either. kind of like the feeling you get right before you get the 24 hr can't get more than 5 feet from the bathroom bug.

#8 Adam42R Posted Today, 09:05 AM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 7,541 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
I don't hate that move from a cost or personnel perspective, but I'm leery of it from a future flexibility one. But if you wanted a closer, or a secondary option, that's a good one to attach your wagon. I don't know that we know DDs full range outside TOR to say how it world ultimately play out.
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

2 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Adam42R, kiery101