• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Joined 14-December 13
  • LocationThe Lowcountry

If there is already one of these, please merge

http://www.espn.com/...uide-moves-make

Charlotte Hornets

What to watch: Frank Kaminsky

Many around the league predicted that Kaminsky -- set to be a free agent this summer -- would not be in a Hornets uniform after the trade deadline. Now Kaminsky has gone from buried on the bench to averaging 15.4 MPG in the past five games, including a season-high 26 in early December vs. New Orleans. Is he too valuable to Charlotte's playoff push to trade?

If he is on the roster past the trade deadline, Charlotte will have to decide if it's worth extending Kaminsky a qualifying offer and making him a restricted free agent.

Restrictions/notes

• Charlotte has one open roster spot.

• The Hornets can receive only up to $240,000 cash in any trade.

• Bismack Biyombo cannot be reacquired by Orlando during the season.

• Charlotte has a $7.8 million trade exception.

• The Hornets are $3.4 million below the luxury tax and have never paid the penalty.

•  

#2 Adam42R Posted 22 December 2018 - 10:45 AM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,686 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
The thing I'd most like to see happen keeps Frank and Lamb here for flexibility in July and we get some value out of Biz' 17m. I'm ok with losing either of the expirings if you need them in a deal for a Beal. And if you do trade out Biz, I would not be against making a QO to Frank as a third big. The dilemma for me it's about whom between Bacon and Monk has more value in trade vs retain if you need to sweeten a deal.
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#3 powellrmp Posted 23 December 2018 - 11:00 AM

powellrmp

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,109 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16
I think this team needs to be focused on shedding as much salary as possible. Period. It's not like anyone on the team not named kemba walker has much of a trade value.

#4 iowabobcat Posted 23 December 2018 - 03:18 PM

iowabobcat

The Dust Chip

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • Joined 31-May 12

I'd prefer to see the team become sellers but given how terrible the division is this year, I just don't see it happening. If we do become sellers, I wonder if the Kings would express any interest in Tony Parker. 

#5 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 24 December 2018 - 09:59 PM

GeraldWallaceMVP

Dwight's Only Fan

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,369 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC

#6 Bogg Posted 26 December 2018 - 08:11 PM

Bogg

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,257 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12

I'd prefer to see the team become sellers but given how terrible the division is this year, I just don't see it happening. If we do become sellers, I wonder if the Kings would express any interest in Tony Parker. 

I mean, if the team is committed to keeping Kemba around long-term and they're getting good back-channel feedback from his camp, you might as well become buyers at the deadline and try to secure one of the last three playoff spots in the East. Any decision to shift into seller mode should probably start with Kemba, because this year is functionally an audition for the franchise to prove they can put a playoff team around him. 

#7 powellrmp Posted 27 December 2018 - 02:21 PM

powellrmp

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,109 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16
It's hard to be "buyers" when anyone not named 'kemba walker' has the trade value of a failing blockbuster franchise.

#8 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 27 December 2018 - 03:01 PM

GeraldWallaceMVP

Dwight's Only Fan

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,369 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC

Lebron is eyeing our boy

#9 powellrmp Posted 27 December 2018 - 04:05 PM

powellrmp

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,109 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16
But what is the actual trade value for some of our guys?

Frank-a 2nd rounder and a project player

MKG-2nd rounder and cap filler/decent young player

Marvin-MAYBE a first, but I doubt it-Maybe for trade deadline buyer wanting to make a finals push

Lamb-definitely a first plus good young player/salary cap chip

#10 cltblkhscoach Posted 27 December 2018 - 07:58 PM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,378 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06

Yeah Lamb has good value, but I don't think it's a first plus a young player. I think he snags a low 1st by himself from a contender, in the vein of what we traded for Marco Belinelli a couple of years ago. 

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#11 Chef Posted 27 December 2018 - 08:53 PM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,552 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

Yeah Lamb has good value, but I don't think it's a first plus a young player. I think he snags a low 1st by himself from a contender, in the vein of what we traded for Marco Belinelli a couple of years ago.

If San Antonio has buyers remorse on derozan, I wonder if lamb + marv + biz + 1st + monk = Rudy gay and derozan

#12 powellrmp Posted 27 December 2018 - 09:46 PM

powellrmp

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,109 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16
Chef, that's interesting. Could be onto something there.

#13 dav7z Posted 27 December 2018 - 09:51 PM

dav7z

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,080 posts
  • Joined 16-June 06

K Love puts us in the 2nd round of the playoffs. We really need a effective big. 

#14 Mich_Mercer Posted 27 December 2018 - 10:22 PM

Mich_Mercer

Jeff "Sure I'll Start" McInnis

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,285 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC
I much rather have Derozan over an almost washed up Kevin Love. Kevin Love is so much of a classic Hornets / Bobcats move to me. It seems to be way past his prime. I feel we’d just be trading away a lot for just a big name.

#15 Whiz Kid Posted 27 December 2018 - 11:16 PM

Whiz Kid

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Joined 11-April 12

I'm still against giving up picks. I know we all are in win now mode, but realistically if its going to happen for us, its going to happen through the draft. Not to mention I personally don't see there being another weak draft in the foreseeable future. Drafts are only getting deeper as basketball continues to evolve so the picks between 10-20, where we typically pick are more valuable than ever as far as the potential to draft a legitimate NBA level player goes.

#16 Chef Posted 28 December 2018 - 06:21 AM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,552 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

I'm still against giving up picks. I know we all are in win now mode, but realistically if its going to happen for us, its going to happen through the draft. Not to mention I personally don't see there being another weak draft in the foreseeable future. Drafts are only getting deeper as basketball continues to evolve so the picks between 10-20, where we typically pick are more valuable than ever as far as the potential to draft a legitimate NBA level player goes.

i agree with not giving up picks outside of this year's pick. kemba is very unlikely to be traded, the hornets are in the middle of the playoff hunt and hosting the all-star game. the team is wanting to win so they pick is very likely to be outside of the lottery. kemba is going to be given every incentive to resign in charlotte. so, use this year's pick to try and convince him to stay by adding real talent. if he leaves, you still have all future picks (which should be good picks) and you can rebuild. 

#17 Keetch Posted 28 December 2018 - 07:16 AM

Keetch

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,797 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06
I dunno; I HATE giving up first round picks. That’s feeding your competition.

With Brooklyn’s resurgence we’re only barely out of the lottery. A loss tonite could do the trick. Our January schedule is pretty tough - we’re not a good road team. We could easily end up 9th in the conference if we don’t stop screwing around.

I’m mixed on resigning Kemba. It depends on the contract. A super max is like $40+ mill for 5 years. That’s a franchise killer. No way. I’m at the point where I think I’d be mostly starting over. But hell Im there literally every year at this point with this team. Literally, every damn year.
Rollin' in Doh

#18 Keetch Posted 28 December 2018 - 07:22 AM

Keetch

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,797 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06
Anyway the NBA Draft is the yearly MAIN EVENT for teams like the Hornets. Without it what would we have to look forward to from January to June? The playoffs? Yeah, right.
Rollin' in Doh

#19 Chef Posted 28 December 2018 - 07:58 AM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,552 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

I dunno; I HATE giving up first round picks. That’s feeding your competition.

With Brooklyn’s resurgence we’re only barely out of the lottery. A loss tonite could do the trick. Our January schedule is pretty tough - we’re not a good road team. We could easily end up 9th in the conference if we don’t stop screwing around.

I’m mixed on resigning Kemba. It depends on the contract. A super max is like $40+ mill for 5 years. That’s a franchise killer. No way. I’m at the point where I think I’d be mostly starting over. But hell Im there literally every year at this point with this team. Literally, every damn year.

Agreed. I would only do it for a deal like I outlined with the spurs. That would all but guarantee playoffs.

No way I do it for love.

#20 GOBOBCATS24 Posted 28 December 2018 - 12:28 PM

GOBOBCATS24

Sean May... Krispy-Kreme MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Joined 11-December 08
Our January schedule is tough? Have you seen March/April? Brutal! Unless we go on a 10 or 12 game win streak in Jan/Feb, we unfortunately will not make the playoffs this year. We need to make some decisions because this is another strong draft. Can't afford another treadmill season with a 11th or 12 pick.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Swedd523