1139 replies to this topic

#1121 JGib23 Posted 07 February 2019 - 04:57 PM

JGib23

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • Joined 27-October 08

okay, I've talked myself back from the ledge....

In the last few weeks we have been rumored to be in contact with teams on Bradley Beal, Andre Drummond, Marc Gasol, and Harrison Barnes... We struck out on making a deal for them but, being pragmatic we really don't have assets that could either haul those players and/or some of those players while being upgrades aren't enough to warrant us giving up on the young talent we have...

So, At least Mitch is doing his due diligence and seeing if we can fleece some other team, we were unsuccessful but, at least we didn't make a bad situation worse (i.e trading for another Miles Plumlee type of contract)

Now youth movement for the remainder of the season, some lottery luck, and dump our expiring's next year for some talent.

#1122 Proudiddy Posted 07 February 2019 - 04:58 PM

Proudiddy

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,792 posts
  • Joined 04-July 07

Not sure how to link a tweet but @kevinsmithnba tweeted out that only 4 teams didn't make an in season trade.

1. Nuggets

2. Warriors

3. Spurs

4. Hornets

one of these things is not like the others.

#1123 Chef Posted 07 February 2019 - 05:05 PM

Chef

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,965 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

okay, I've talked myself back from the ledge....

In the last few weeks we have been rumored to be in contact with teams on Bradley Beal, Andre Drummond, Marc Gasol, and Harrison Barnes... We struck out on making a deal for them but, being pragmatic we really don't have assets that could either haul those players and/or some of those players while being upgrades aren't enough to warrant us giving up on the young talent we have...

So, At least Mitch is doing his due diligence and seeing if we can fleece some other team, we were unsuccessful but, at least we didn't make a bad situation worse (i.e trading for another Miles Plumlee type of contract)

Now youth movement for the remainder of the season, some lottery luck, and dump our expiring's next year for some talent.

Yup, gotta see what kemba does first. But don't make a not great situation really bad by rushing. If they are smart be patient and wait until next Feb and june

#1124 Whiz Kid Posted 07 February 2019 - 05:25 PM

Whiz Kid

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Joined 11-April 12

I can't speak for everyone, but for me, the general dismay comes from watching basically this same core group of guys play season after season with virtually the same results. At this point I finally have accepted belief that Kemba leaves and we become sellers for the first time in like...ever.

#1125 gforce03 Posted 07 February 2019 - 05:25 PM

gforce03

Sean May... Krispy-Kreme MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Joined 29-June 16

Honestly, and I know is gonna hurt a lot of you. Just move this team here to Seattle, much better market.

#1126 Chef Posted 07 February 2019 - 05:29 PM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,965 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

I can't speak for everyone, but for me, the general dismay comes from watching basically this same core group of guys play season after season with virtually the same results. At this point I finally have accepted belief that Kemba leaves and we become sellers for the first time in like...ever.

Oh don't misunderstand, I may watch about 40% of the remaining games. As the great prince once said "this bores me"

#1127 Chef Posted 07 February 2019 - 05:30 PM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,965 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

Honestly, and I know is gonna hurt a lot of you. Just move this team here to Seattle, much better market.

Not gonna happen, but if a team does go, I see Orlando or NO first

#1128 Mustachio Posted 07 February 2019 - 06:06 PM

Mustachio

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,170 posts
  • Joined 11-July 06

All time hot take right here lol.

Because market is why this team is consistently mediocre. If only we had more TV's!!
Into the crevasse!

"Climb down Lemon, Climb down"Posted Image

#1129 dnbman Posted 07 February 2019 - 06:09 PM

dnbman

Existential Crisis Manager

• Moderators

• 6,162 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

Some off the cuff thoughts: 

• This is definitely concerning on keeping Kemba if we can't get some chemistry going in the second half and/or some significant development of our young guys. I think he might commit if we start to see Monk, Bridges, and Graham really start to consistently play well for their experience level. at least then he could imagine that year 2 or 3 of a new deal being a competitive team. But if if he doesn't see that or at least a little competitive streak in us this year, I think he looks elsewhere for his contract. 
  • I'm not sure I know of a reasonable trade that we could have made that wouldn't have cost us young prospects or draft picks. Trading Batum was unreasonable unless we happen to find just the right trade partner needed his skill set and wanted to commit to him and had a big contract to go out to us. 
  • On the Batum note, the Gasol conversation seemed to make pretty obvious that management knows that they're stuck with him for the next couple of years or if they're going to have to pay a price to move him. I'm a believer in Batum, but it's vital that we get a reliable system with our players knowing their roles well for him to be effective. Kup talking chemistry is really the main focus right now. 
  • As Keetch mentioned, I don't envy NBA GMs. It's a really tough game to put together a contender. The rich get richer. Everyone else is just trying to hit the jackpot to get in that category, whether its through the draft or generating enough cap space to sign multiple superstars. For most teams, that doesn't work. If you go back through the last ten years of drafts, it's very random who pans out. If a guy does pan out, there's a pretty good chance they go to a team that's already successful. 
  • I need to cut the internet off during free agency and trade deadline. It feels like a drug bender where you spend a lot of time being chatty and paranoid, only to sober up and feel cold and alone. Also, seeing the social media leaks of trades before players were made aware felt icky. 

Last Member: Nick Batum Fan Club

Professional Self-Loather

#1130 Keetch Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:31 PM

Keetch

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,982 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06
I still think the goal for this deadline, at least in my opinion; was to improve at the 4 if possible. Otherwise “do no harm.” Improving cap flexibility is always a goal as well. Gasol would have been nice; but I just didn’t see him at his age, being a meaningful upgrade over Biz/Zeller.

What this team desperately needs is upgrades at the 3 and 4 positions. We’re pretty strong at 1and 2 and ok at the 5. MKG is good enough; no big worries he does well at what he does. Marvin hustles but is inconsistent as hell, especially in clutch situations. Bridges is undersized for a four but may be an answer given time.

I’ve mentioned before that I think Batum can score whenever he wishes. He can be that good. Unfortunately, he doesn’t and isn’t. I fear Nic’s lack of aggression and focus (perfectly depicted by that video of him dancing along the sideline while Marvin was forced to chuck a game-ending brick), is the nexus of this team’s basic lack of toughness.

Until we can improve those two positions; I don’t see meaningful change in this teams prospects.
Rollin' in Doh

#1131 nowhere fast Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:38 PM

nowhere fast

Crash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • Joined 16-May 17

I think there were a series of very "unlike Cho" Cho moves that were made on behalf of the owner. In fact, I think Cho left just as much as he was asked to leave.

Not Cho's biggest fan but he DID leave us that awesome $24 million Plan A (D12's expiring) for when Kemba gets paid. Wonder how much throwing that out with the bath water was on someone's behalf....

On Nic going forward, honestly I like what Borrego's doing there. So he isn't living up to his contract, fine, now have the guy step back, give him a nice, simple well-defined role that plays to his temperament (designated 3-and-D guy) and maybe see him build himself back up to where he can take on more. Seriously 2017-2018 Joe Ingles is a fine outcome and likely attainable for Nic. 

What I don't like is what's it done to MKG's playing time. Don't think I've ever seen our most diligent worker string up this many games with 0 boards, the man's struggling to cope and something needs to be done.

#1132 Adam42R Posted 07 February 2019 - 10:34 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,352 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

Interesting post mortem on the week/day only as to be further confused by the FO's comments that they never felt they were close to a deal.

ePNjQOx.png

Perhaps per an Obi Wanism, it's true from a certain point of view. I'm generally ok with that as conveyed that they didn't think they had a realistic shot to get something done. 

What sits oddly with me is this strange notion that we, and I don't necessarily think that's us fans but we the team, were waiting on some help to get us over this .500 hump and push us to a strong post season entry. We didn't get that.  And perhaps the FO feels that with some teams near us throwing in the towel, we get there by not giving up any assets and still developing them out while those around us will just play with a developmental approach. Just need someone to explain to me how Mitch can look at the roster and say

1. first objective is to making the playoffs

2. that we lack star power, have a team of a lot of good but not great players

3. that we need two or three (Kemba-level) guys to help carry the team

4. he's optimistic and hopeful that we'll see Kemba go out in a Hornets uniform

5. that the fact that sellers today will be playing youth and not necessarily looking to win should lead to us finishing with more wins...

I cannot reconcile most of these points with each other. They all make sense in a vacuum but in conjunction, they are discordant. They all would make a LOT more sense if we "added" a "great" player per #2/#3 if #1 and he wanted to not just rely on "hope" with #4 and teams not giving a fuck for #5.  

I hope they know what they are doing. Perhaps there's reason there behind the seeming hope and pray approach. I will give Mitch credit that he didn't worsen any financial situations and if we can retain and improve through July, great. 

Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#1133 JGib23 Posted 07 February 2019 - 10:52 PM

JGib23

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,608 posts
  • Joined 27-October 08
I’ve been going through every teams rosters and contracts and I don’t see much we can do this summer, our real chance to add talent will come 1 year from now at the trade deadline when we have $45M - $52M in expiring contracts to help bad teams dump good players and they head for their own rebuilds.

In going through those rosters, I really started loving what VladeDivac has done since taking over in Sactown. I thought they were doomed when they traded Boogie but, they have a great young roster and tons of cap room even after taking on Barnes.

#1134 Whiz Kid Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:00 AM

Whiz Kid

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Joined 11-April 12

My hope for this franchise moving forward is that we give Monk the keys (as far as our starting shooting guard goes), and he makes a CJ McCollum like jump in his 3rd year. (I lowkey feel like he'd average 20-22 points too if he got 34-35 minutes a game lol). If he makes that leap and all we need is other guys who can hit open shots, we become the Portland of the east. I can live with that.

#1135 gforce03 Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:40 PM

gforce03

Sean May... Krispy-Kreme MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Joined 29-June 16

My hope for this franchise moving forward is that we give Monk the keys (as far as our starting shooting guard goes), and he makes a CJ McCollum like jump in his 3rd year. (I lowkey feel like he'd average 20-22 points too if he got 34-35 minutes a game lol). If he makes that leap and all we need is other guys who can hit open shots, we become the Portland of the east. I can live with that.

Portland of the East...this feels kinda sad :(

#1136 HokieHornet Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:50 PM

HokieHornet

Jeff "Sure I'll Start" McInnis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Joined 13-August 13
Here was our Trade Deadline connection since we didn't actually do anything:

Hakim Warrick, once a Bobcat, was traded for Josh McRoberts on Deadline Day once upon a time. He went for 40 in the G-League to celebrate the anniversary of that momentous trade yesterday.

Oh, and originally drafted by the Grizzlies, so there's that haha.

#1137 Hornets686 Posted 08 February 2019 - 05:56 PM

Hornets686

Jeff "Sure I'll Start" McInnis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationConnecticut

NBA Draft Night Trade: Drummond and Griffin to Hornets, Batum, Marvin, Biyombo, Bridges and 2 1st Round Picks to the Pistons...

#1138 QC Thundercats Posted 08 February 2019 - 07:56 PM

QC Thundercats

Quality Control Thundercats

• Honorary Beagle

• 2,179 posts
  • Joined 01-June 12

NBA Draft Night Trade: Drummond and Griffin to Hornets, Batum, Marvin, Biyombo, Bridges and 2 1st Round Picks to the Pistons...

Welcome back buckets! The trade deadline was yesterday.

#1139 Adam42R Posted 08 February 2019 - 07:59 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,352 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

Welcome back buckets! The trade deadline was yesterday.

Feels shy of one or two Shabazz
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#1140 QC Thundercats Posted 08 February 2019 - 08:19 PM

QC Thundercats

Quality Control Thundercats

• Honorary Beagle

• 2,179 posts
  • Joined 01-June 12

Theres no reason why we couldn't get one.  But the free one's not a husky.  I mean, he's husky, but not a.... well, I guess it still counts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users