23 replies to this topic

#1 Adam42R Posted 01 January 2019 - 11:57 AM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,609 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
Assume this may mean that we will be without the services of Jeremy for a few weeks.

Have assumed that we won't see Cody until the ASB, guess we're waiting to see if surgery it not at present.

Not ever comfy with Cody going out but this year at least we've seen very one get active minutes minus Biz for the most part so interesting to see how big a drop off it is going to a combo of Frank and Willy and small ball
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#2 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 01 January 2019 - 01:23 PM

GeraldWallaceMVP

Dwight's Only Fan

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,118 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC
Monk takeover

#3 Mich_Mercer Posted 01 January 2019 - 03:07 PM

Mich_Mercer

Keep Monk and MKG

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,681 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Monk takeover

This is what I’m hoping for. Hope he can step it up and take a big leap forward

#4 Adam42R Posted 01 January 2019 - 03:15 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,609 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
He may step up but it likely will come from an expanded bench role.

Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#5 cltblkhscoach Posted 01 January 2019 - 03:39 PM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,951 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06

This isn't great for Lamb's trade value now, hopefully it doesn't linger and he can show he's good before the deadline. 

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#6 spaceshoes Posted 01 January 2019 - 04:30 PM

spaceshoes

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,087 posts
  • Joined 12-August 15
  • LocationFort Mill, SC

This isn't great for Lamb's trade value now, hopefully it doesn't linger and he can show he's good before the deadline.

True, but it does give us a chance to see just how expendable he is. If we don't have much of a drop off then it's easier to trade him or not offer tons to him in the off season. It'll be an interesting few weeks for sure.

#7 Adam42R Posted 01 January 2019 - 05:54 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,609 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

True, but it does give us a chance to see just how expendable he is. If we don't have much of a drop off then it's easier to trade him or not offer tons to him in the off season. It'll be an interesting few weeks for sure.

I'm with shoes. His trade value isn't really of interest this year as much as his expiring contract or the value we should ascribe to him as a FA. I have been surprised how much he's tossed around in hypothetical trades when he's worth more to us (expiring or resigning) than he is as an outgoing contract.  Unless you are of the mindset that he's so outplaying his contract presently that you can use him to burn a Bizmack sized salary.  IMO, if he's *that* valuable, we should be looking at the resigning route.

#8 powellrmp Posted 02 January 2019 - 01:42 PM

powellrmp

Braindead Stupid 2020

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,448 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16

I'm with shoes. His trade value isn't really of interest this year as much as his expiring contract or the value we should ascribe to him as a FA. I have been surprised how much he's tossed around in hypothetical trades when he's worth more to us (expiring or resigning) than he is as an outgoing contract.  Unless you are of the mindset that he's so outplaying his contract presently that you can use him to burn a Bizmack sized salary.  IMO, if he's *that* valuable, we should be looking at the resigning route.

Before I make an assumption Adam-I just want to clarify where you stand on JLamb. Are you in the camp that thinks we need to re-sign him this off season? 

I've very much been in the camp of trading Lamb at the deadline for quite some time. Having said, that was with the assumption that Monk would be the dude ready to fill Lamb's starting spot. And that has not been the case. Personally, I feel that receiving a 1st round pick or assets for Lamb is more important than winning 1 or 2 games in the first round of playoffs. Face it, this team is capped and needs to sign Kemba to a gnarly contract this summer. Let's shuffle players out and get picks. Because you can bet this summer J Lamb is gonna get PAID by somebody. And it won't be the Hornets.

#9 SuperKemba Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:01 PM

SuperKemba

Primoz "Gangsta" Brezec

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Joined 17-December 11

Chances are Devonte Graham will start along side Kemba. I don't see the coach going with Monk yet.

#10 powellrmp Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:32 PM

powellrmp

Braindead Stupid 2020

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,448 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16

I'm actually on the opposite side of the fence on this one. I'd really like to see Monk start beside Kemba. I'd hope that it would boost his confidence and get him rolling. I'm also okay with Monk continuing to come off the bench since that seems to be such a nice spot for him and boost for the team. Since the opportunity is there why not see how Monk handles the starting role?

#11 powellrmp Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:33 PM

powellrmp

Braindead Stupid 2020

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,448 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16

Whether or not Monk starts for Lamb, its the minutes and rotation that I'm more focused on. JB is a good coach and will find the balance, I'm sure.

#12 Adam42R Posted 02 January 2019 - 05:39 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,609 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

Before I make an assumption Adam-I just want to clarify where you stand on JLamb. Are you in the camp that thinks we need to re-sign him this off season? 

I've very much been in the camp of trading Lamb at the deadline for quite some time. Having said, that was with the assumption that Monk would be the dude ready to fill Lamb's starting spot. And that has not been the case. Personally, I feel that receiving a 1st round pick or assets for Lamb is more important than winning 1 or 2 games in the first round of playoffs. Face it, this team is capped and needs to sign Kemba to a gnarly contract this summer. Let's shuffle players out and get picks. Because you can bet this summer J Lamb is gonna get PAID by somebody. And it won't be the Hornets.

He doesn't have great trade value IMO. He's a 7.5m contract and I don't think teams view him as a must have at his age and lack of scintillating history that they have to have at him to try resign him. I like him and if he can continue a positive trajectory, I am fine with resigning him depending on what we keep/discard in trades to get there. But no way am I prioritizing resigning him. I don't think anyone is sending us a FRP for Lamb and I am not sure that's what we need today anyway (again, depending on what we discard/keep).  

But if you get a chance to use Monk to move say Biz (or Marv if it brings back a similar toolset - that's diminishing the longer he continues to play at his current level) in a trade before the deadline, I would totally understand doing so as I am not convinced on his upside being a guarantee.

Jeremy will get a good contract compared to his last but I would be surprised if he's significantly eclipsing Kemba's current contract (e.g. Courtney Lee money).

#13 Adam42R Posted 02 January 2019 - 05:44 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,609 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

Chances are Devonte Graham will start along side Kemba. I don't see the coach going with Monk yet.

I hope so. I really like Devonte's upside and think in a tale of the tape vs. Monk; he's a far better defender, better handle, higher on-court vision and gives us a second PG on the court. To date, in really limited sample size, he makes the better basketball play. I'd rather we see what he can do with a bigger sample size. And having said that, if coach goes with a side of Bacon instead of a Graham cracker starter, I wouldn't view that as a knock of Devonte one bit. 

#14 powellrmp Posted 02 January 2019 - 06:02 PM

powellrmp

Braindead Stupid 2020

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,448 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16
Adam-good talking with you. I'm remembering now, I believe. That's where I lose you. Lamb will get a 3/45 or 4/48 kind of deal. Easy. He's 26 and playing good ball. And his current contract is a paltry 7.5m. To me, that screams deadline trade for a win now team looking to solidify their bench/second unit for a deep playoff run.

Why would the hornets not secure a first for Lamb if we are playing .500 basketball? If Lamb was that valuable to this team, we would be playing better than .500 ball. And that's no disrespect to Lamb-because he's worked his ass off. But he's a GREAT asset for a deep playoff team.

Sit down with kemba after that trade and say, "kemba, you're the dude and your gonna get paid. We want assets to convert into real sidekicks for you".

A hungry team like Houston would absolutely send a first for Lamb if th warriors continue to look semi vulnerable.

#15 cltblkhscoach Posted 02 January 2019 - 08:04 PM

cltblkhscoach

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,951 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
I like you Adam, but Im with powell on this one.

#16 Adam42R Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:41 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,609 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

I don't see how we get a FRP out of Lamb. And if we end up moving a vet along with Lamb that isn't Biz, we're going to be worrisomely young with two FRPs next year that will likely have to play (as we'll have no money left outside of vet min contracts).

When I say he's not got good trade value, I mean that aside from that pick (which I don't see happening so I am only looking at this from the perspective of whom comes back for him), I don't see what you can get around his salary range that makes us good or better. And by around his salary range, I mean below it. I have been working under the assumption since last year that we want to avoid the tax this year to not be repeaters next year in signing Kemba. With that, we won't bring back more salary that Lamb but at or less so basically no one of substance. Now what I would see as valuable to us would be finding a way to send out Lamb + Biz for an impact low 20m player coming back (Beal you might say). But because I can't squint hard enough to see why a WAS would do that, I am discounting it as ESPN trade machine fodder.

4x48m is what I assume Lamb will get - again, Courtney Lee money. But we cannot pay that. 

#17 Adam42R Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:34 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,609 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

For the talk about how Monk not getting the starting nod over Devonte was a dis/slam/headshot (which I don't subscribe to but that's just one of 70 things I am on my hill that I will die on that resides comfortably on my island), this has to be far more of an ego hit to Bacon.

Wonder if JP remains here while Dwayne solos up to G'boring.

#18 Adam42R Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:08 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,609 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

Not too bad of a return window.

#19 cltblkhscoach Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:34 PM

cltblkhscoach

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,951 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06

Don't understand Macura staying and Bacon going....weird, but whatever works for them I guess. They are really going to ride Devonte is what that move tells me. 

#20 Swedd523 Posted 04 January 2019 - 08:36 AM

Swedd523

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Moderators

• 9,586 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

Not too bad of a return window.

He'll come back in 2-3 weeks and mysteriously have reoccurring injuries to the hand, forcing him to miss chunks of time throughout the season

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users