Crash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Joined 21-June 15
  • LocationRegensburg, Germany

This is the equivalent of "walmart ready to put Christmas trees on sale"

Yep, two weeks after Christmas ;)

I don't expect much in return for Frank but If the article is right and I'm wrong and Kupchak manages to get a solid return on Frank Kaminsky and Nicolas Batum I'd be happy.

#4 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 03 January 2019 - 02:59 PM

GeraldWallaceMVP

Dwight's Only Fan

• 1000+ posts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,118 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC
Why would a team want both Kaminsky and Batum or Kaminsky and Biyombo.

#5 cltblkhscoach Posted 03 January 2019 - 03:17 PM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,951 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06

Interesting that several teams are interested in Frank, but once the article broke down the numbers, the analytics say he has some value. If a team can tap into his mind the right way, he can have a nice career. But it just looks like they won't do it here. 

I'm sure somewhere someone thinks they can get through to Batum too, let's just hope they can give us something for him. I can live with Biz for one more year if we can drop Batum. 

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#6 Bogg Posted 03 January 2019 - 04:12 PM

Bogg

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,309 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12

Interesting that several teams are interested in Frank, but once the article broke down the numbers, the analytics say he has some value. If a team can tap into his mind the right way, he can have a nice career. But it just looks like they won't do it here.

There's a difference between teams kicking the tires on a guy and him being in high demand - as a rookie-scale guy who can step in and play 10-15 minutes right away I'm sure there are a couple depth-poor playoff trams or playoff hopefuls willing to toss one or more second-rounders Charlotte's way to rent Frank for the back half. I don't think there's an enormous demand for his Bird Rights, though.

If the front office thinks he's enough to dump either of the Batum or Biz contracts (and it's absurd that the Biz contract is even here and in need of dumping to begin with) then they're likely badly overvaluing him, though.

I'm sure somewhere someone thinks they can get through to Batum too, let's just hope they can give us something for him. I can live with Biz for one more year if we can drop Batum.

I don't think there's anyone who thinks they can make Batum worth that contract.

#7 cltblkhscoach Posted 03 January 2019 - 04:29 PM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,951 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06

I don't think there's anyone who thinks they can make Batum worth that contract.

Time to dig Steve Clifford's number out the trash and pray. Lol

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#8 Chef Posted 03 January 2019 - 04:50 PM

Chef

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,229 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08
Brandon knight (expiring), pj Tucker (3x7), marquis criss for batum and frank

Makes the Rockets better and deeper

#9 Adam42R Posted 03 January 2019 - 04:51 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,609 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
Coach, some of this aligns with what I am trying to convey with the Lamb trade. He can sweeten someone outgoing like Nic, Marv, Biz but otherwise I don't see getting a FR for him alone. And like Lamb, I wouldn't want a body in exchange because I doubt it would be a value trade back.
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#10 Hornets686 Posted 03 January 2019 - 05:37 PM

Hornets686

Jeff "Sure I'll Start" McInnis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationConnecticut

Bismack Biyombo, Frank Kaminsky, Dwayne Bacon, and 1st Round Pick for Kevin Love and Rodney Hood

Nicolas Batum, Malik Monk, 1st Round Pick for Bradley Beal and Jeff Green

#11 Bogg Posted 03 January 2019 - 06:02 PM

Bogg

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,309 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12

Brandon knight (expiring), pj Tucker (3x7), marquis criss for batum and frank

Makes the Rockets better and deeper

Tucker's very important to what Houston does, I don't think they discuss him if they have to take on Batum's contract (which I don't think they can afford anyway).

#12 Chef Posted 03 January 2019 - 06:10 PM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,229 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

Tucker's very important to what Houston does, I don't think they discuss him if they have to take on Batum's contract (which I don't think they can afford anyway).

Nene and change then

#13 powellrmp Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:46 PM

powellrmp

Braindead Stupid 2020

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,448 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16

Coach, some of this aligns with what I am trying to convey with the Lamb trade. He can sweeten someone outgoing like Nic, Marv, Biz but otherwise I don't see getting a FR for him alone. And like Lamb, I wouldn't want a body in exchange because I doubt it would be a value trade back.

Well of course that would be ideal, a Lamb and Batum combo-but that essentially negates the point of acquiring Lamb. What playoff team is wanting to make that big of a cap move to shuffle around players to accommodate Batums salary? You can't have your cake and eat it too. I still think Lamb could be bait for a first round pick. Of course, my point takes a huge hit because of his injury.

The Lamb package deal you're talking about sounds like a off-season draft time swap. Or, I could be completely wrong and Lamb+Batum are a part of a huge three team deal in the following weeks.

#14 Adam42R Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:41 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,609 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

Well of course that would be ideal, a Lamb and Batum combo-but that essentially negates the point of acquiring Lamb. What playoff team is wanting to make that big of a cap move to shuffle around players to accommodate Batums salary? You can't have your cake and eat it too. I still think Lamb could be bait for a first round pick. Of course, my point takes a huge hit because of his injury.

The Lamb package deal you're talking about sounds like a off-season draft time swap. Or, I could be completely wrong and Lamb+Batum are a part of a huge three team deal in the following weeks.

I am not sure you are refuting my angle by saying it's ideal. That's been my point, I don't think it will happen. But I don't think your (or Coach's) view takes a hit because of hamstring however but that's been my view; he's not going to return that much value. You say he is, fine - we don't see him in the same light.

I will say I think we are far more likely to move expiring assets (Lamb, Frank) before season's end because they grease the tracks of moving a bigger salary - Nic, Marvin, Biz rather than moving them solo because of a future pick or body coming back. They have another value to us come July of freeing up salaries for an offer to Kemba. BUT... as I think we all would agree, we hit that beach with a 36 win season again and that money won't matter no how :)

Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#15 Bogg Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:41 PM

Bogg

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,309 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12

Nene and change then

I just don't think that Houston can afford to pay Paul and Harden max contracts, pay Capela and (to a lesser extent) Eric Gordon fairly handsome contracts as well, and also shoulder Batum's contract while filling out a contending roster. There are Batum trades out there if the goal is simply to get out from under the last year or more of his contract, but people (Kemba first and foremost) aren't going to like the returns. The Bulls are tanking for assets, you could probably pay them in draft picks to eat Batum and send back Jabari Parker (and Jabari Parker's expiring contract), but it legitimately might require two firsts+ considering you're talking about Chicago eating around $52.6 million in salary. Maybe Detroit would do Reggie Jackson and John Leuer for Batum and Tony Parker?

The one people will really hate but might be the most doable is if Charlotte's going to go the way of a rebuild - a Memphis team desperate to make the playoffs would probably give up something to turn Chandler Parsons, whose knees are completely and totally shot but whose contract is one year shorter than Batum's (being near-identical this year and next), into still-physically-playable Nic. That's the tear-it-down option though, and would have to come in the wake of a Kemba trade, because there's no way he's going to be okay with that. In that scenario you'd basically be letting Parsons sit at home for three months and then once his contract becomes an expiring over the summer you waive-and-stretch the financial commitment into three $8.3 million installments and, for the most part, you're out from under Batum's contract in 6 months while likely picking up something minor-ish. 

#16 QC Thundercats Posted 03 January 2019 - 11:51 PM

QC Thundercats

Quality Control Thundercats

• Honorary Beagle

• 2,204 posts
  • Joined 01-June 12

Bismack Biyombo, Frank Kaminsky, Dwayne Bacon, and 1st Round Pick for Kevin Love and Rodney Hood

Nicolas Batum, Malik Monk, 1st Round Pick for Bradley Beal and Jeff Green

Hmmm, theres a severe lack of Shabazz in this trade...

#17 Chef Posted 04 January 2019 - 05:32 AM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,229 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

I just don't think that Houston can afford to pay Paul and Harden max contracts, pay Capela and (to a lesser extent) Eric Gordon fairly handsome contracts as well, and also shoulder Batum's contract while filling out a contending roster. There are Batum trades out there if the goal is simply to get out from under the last year or more of his contract, but people (Kemba first and foremost) aren't going to like the returns. The Bulls are tanking for assets, you could probably pay them in draft picks to eat Batum and send back Jabari Parker (and Jabari Parker's expiring contract), but it legitimately might require two firsts+ considering you're talking about Chicago eating around $52.6 million in salary. Maybe Detroit would do Reggie Jackson and John Leuer for Batum and Tony Parker?

The one people will really hate but might be the most doable is if Charlotte's going to go the way of a rebuild - a Memphis team desperate to make the playoffs would probably give up something to turn Chandler Parsons, whose knees are completely and totally shot but whose contract is one year shorter than Batum's (being near-identical this year and next), into still-physically-playable Nic. That's the tear-it-down option though, and would have to come in the wake of a Kemba trade, because there's no way he's going to be okay with that. In that scenario you'd basically be letting Parsons sit at home for three months and then once his contract becomes an expiring over the summer you waive-and-stretch the financial commitment into three $8.3 million installments and, for the most part, you're out from under Batum's contract in 6 months while likely picking up something minor-ish.

I hear you on all fronts. I have a different view of Houston though. I think Houston more or less can't afford not to get batum. They essentially went all in for the next three years with the harden but more so the Paul contract. Morey has been the "smartest guy in the room" for a decade and it is finally put up or shut up. For at least this year (which is suddenly wide open) and until lebron has a year to get whatever dream team he assembles, Houston has a title window that only requires they be better than golden state.
Batum plus frank makes them much deeper expecially if they swap out nene for pj in the trade I proposed. Batum does not require the ball, facilitates an offense, can guard the sf position and most importantly can be the 5th guy allowing him to disappear whenever he wants to. Frank would be perfect in that system as a second and third big. At the cost of nothing on the court.
The way I see it is, they sealed their fates both on the court and luxury tax with the Paul trade and contract. At this point they can't afford not to really go all in.

#18 nowhere fast Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:37 AM

nowhere fast

Crash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • Joined 16-May 17

Charlotte, according to league sources, is desperate to get out of the two years and $52 million remaining on Nicolas Batum’s salary, and at least one team was told that Kaminsky could be had if Batum were included.

What the cluck happened to this guy.

#19 powellrmp Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:47 AM

powellrmp

Braindead Stupid 2020

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,448 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16

I am not sure you are refuting my angle by saying it's ideal. That's been my point, I don't think it will happen. But I don't think your (or Coach's) view takes a hit because of hamstring however but that's been my view; he's not going to return that much value. You say he is, fine - we don't see him in the same light.

I will say I think we are far more likely to move expiring assets (Lamb, Frank) before season's end because they grease the tracks of moving a bigger salary - Nic, Marvin, Biz rather than moving them solo because of a future pick or body coming back. They have another value to us come July of freeing up salaries for an offer to Kemba. BUT... as I think we all would agree, we hit that beach with a 36 win season again and that money won't matter no how :)

i don't disagree. Cheers to moving expiring assets!

#20 powellrmp Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:50 AM

powellrmp

Braindead Stupid 2020

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,448 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16

Charlotte, according to league sources, is desperate to get out of the two years and $52 million remaining on Nicolas Batum’s salary, and at least one team was told that Kaminsky could be had if Batum were included.

What the cluck happened to this guy.

I agree with the "what the f*ck happened to Batum" sentiment. Another bizarre and tragic disappointment that fits perfectly into Charlotte basketball lore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users