#1 Icky Thump Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:22 PM

Icky Thump

Sean May... Krispy-Kreme MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Joined 28-June 07

http://www.espn.com/...-michael-jordan

Incredibly important lines from the ESPN story...

Kemba Walker: I trust Hornets to build appealing roster

and in response to question - What do you want the Hornets to do so you feel good about staying? "They know. They know what they got to do," Walker said in an appearance on ESPN's The Jump that aired Tuesday. "That's not my job. I'll leave it up to those guys."

I REALLY hope we don't screw the pooch here guys. If we let Kemba walk and get NOTHING in return when we signed Batum to that huge contract I'm gonna be livid.

T73It2l.gifTime to nut up or shut up!

#2 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:37 PM

GeraldWallaceMVP

Dwight's Only Fan

• 1000+ posts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC
Not to be a downer but the way he said that it seemed like he basically told the front office get me a good team or i’m out

#3 Adam42R Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:54 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,065 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

Not to be a downer but the way he said that it seemed like he basically told the front office get me a good team or i’m out

He did effectively say that this fall. What none of us can assert however is if that's additive or subtractive and all our opinions aside, we don't know (like we have no clue in reality) what his thoughts are of the current roster.
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#4 Bogg Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:08 PM

Bogg

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,288 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12

That's exactly what's going on. He doesn't necessarily want to leave Charlotte but he also doesn't want to spend the rest of his prime scraping for 8-seeds. Sitting the fence on this one is a losing strategy.

#5 nowhere fast Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:09 PM

nowhere fast

Crash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Joined 16-May 17

giphy.gif

#6 Icky Thump Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:10 PM

Icky Thump

Sean May... Krispy-Kreme MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Joined 28-June 07

The thing to me is if they realistically knew they weren't/aren't going to be able to put together a team Kemba wants to play for/with then why haven't we traded him for something of value? I know it's nowhere as easy as all us messageboard GM's make it out but if they either had no intention of getting the guys Kemba would want to build with or no ability to do so then why not move him when we could get something for him?

I'm beginning to be really afraid that the organization kept Kemba cause he was their only $$$ draw (and with the All-Star game coming) so they were willing to cash in and let the chips fall where they may with us getting NOTHING in return... I so hope and pray that's not the case.

T73It2l.gifTime to nut up or shut up!

#7 nowhere fast Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:14 PM

nowhere fast

Crash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Joined 16-May 17

I'm beginning to be really afraid that the organization kept Kemba cause he was their only $$$ draw (and with the All-Star game coming) so they were willing to cash in and let the chips fall where they may with us getting NOTHING in return... I so hope and pray that's not the case.

I think we can all agree that would be the worst of all possibilities.

We can also agree we'd be in a worse position leverage-wise waiting till the off-season to pull off any trades, instead of right now with all these contenders needing to make a move.

#8 Bogg Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:26 PM

Bogg

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,288 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12

The thing to me is if they realistically knew they weren't/aren't going to be able to put together a team Kemba wants to play for/with then why haven't we traded him for something of value? I know it's nowhere as easy as all us messageboard GM's make it out but if they either had no intention of getting the guys Kemba would want to build with or no ability to do so then why not move him when we could get something for him?

Counterpoint: Perhaps their plan was to swing a win-now trade all along, but needed Monk to have a half-season to build trade value after basically not playing as a rookie.

#9 Mich_Mercer Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:55 PM

Mich_Mercer

Jeff "Sure I'll Start" McInnis

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,495 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC
I do wonder what type of player Kemba could get us. I’m ok with us exploring it bc I just don’t see us able to do a lot, other than get someone like Kevin Love, who I do not want. What do you guys think we could realistically get for him?

#10 Adam42R Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:55 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,065 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

He did effectively say that this fall. What none of us can assert however is if that's additive or subtractive and all our opinions aside, we don't know (like we have no clue in reality) what his thoughts are of the current roster.

I can't say this enough, we don't know what Kemba's thoughts are on the roster as constructed today. He might believe we're only a tweak away or think we need to deal the whole starting lineup 2-5. We have zero idea as he's never registered any remote complaint. I think it's overly simplistic to think his thoughts mirror any of ours directly.

Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#11 Bogg Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:40 PM

Bogg

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,288 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12

I do wonder what type of player Kemba could get us. I’m ok with us exploring it bc I just don’t see us able to do a lot, other than get someone like Kevin Love, who I do not want. What do you guys think we could realistically get for him?

Now, all this assumes that Kemba is destination-agnostic beyond being on a solid playoff team (meaning he won't kill a trade with a small-market team by telling them he'd be a rental), but the list of playoff teams/fringe playoff teams who could use a point guard and has some stuff to trade is something like Indiana, San Antonio, maybe the Lakers depending on how Lebron feels, and the Sixers if you can talk yourself into any of their young guys on the shelf with odd ailments (Fultz/Zhaire Smith) or that unprotected Miami first-rounder they have floating out there. If the chatter about Dallas being unconvinced about Dennis Smith Jr.'s long-term fit with Doncic and they're all-in on a playoff push to send Dirk off maybe they'd get involved too. 

So some theoretical packages could revolve around (and could require some balancing pieces coming from either Charlotte or the other team - remember, Kemba's turning 29 in May and will be an unrestricted free agent):

Indiana - one of their Turner/Sabonis duo of young bigs

San Antonio - they've got some interesting young guys on the shelf in Murray and Lonnie Walker, and Jakob Poeltl has been lively after a disappointing rookie season. They've also got their own picks and Toronto's this year. You wouldn't get all that, but whatever the offer is would likely be built with some of that

LAL - At this point everyone knows who their young guys are thanks to Lebron's presence and the AD trade chatter. I imagine they'd be rather tight-fisted with their assets and assume they can sign him over the summer like they've done with every other trade discussion the last 18 months, so there's probably not much to talk about here

Philly - they've got Markelle Fultz, Zhaire Smith, and an unprotected pick from Miami in 2021. I have no idea what any of those assets will turn into, and I don't think they do either.

Dallas - if they even got involved. Dennis Smith Jr. would be the obvious big prize in this scenario, but I'm not convinced the talk is real. Charlotte would probably have to add something in this scenario, considering the age and contract scenarios. 

#12 Chef Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:23 PM

Chef

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,771 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

Now, all this assumes that Kemba is destination-agnostic beyond being on a solid playoff team (meaning he won't kill a trade with a small-market team by telling them he'd be a rental), but the list of playoff teams/fringe playoff teams who could use a point guard and has some stuff to trade is something like Indiana, San Antonio, maybe the Lakers depending on how Lebron feels, and the Sixers if you can talk yourself into any of their young guys on the shelf with odd ailments (Fultz/Zhaire Smith) or that unprotected Miami first-rounder they have floating out there. If the chatter about Dallas being unconvinced about Dennis Smith Jr.'s long-term fit with Doncic and they're all-in on a playoff push to send Dirk off maybe they'd get involved too.

So some theoretical packages could revolve around (and could require some balancing pieces coming from either Charlotte or the other team - remember, Kemba's turning 29 in May and will be an unrestricted free agent):
Indiana - one of their Turner/Sabonis duo of young bigs
San Antonio - they've got some interesting young guys on the shelf in Murray and Lonnie Walker, and Jakob Poeltl has been lively after a disappointing rookie season. They've also got their own picks and Toronto's this year. You wouldn't get all that, but whatever the offer is would likely be built with some of that
LAL - At this point everyone knows who their young guys are thanks to Lebron's presence and the AD trade chatter. I imagine they'd be rather tight-fisted with their assets and assume they can sign him over the summer like they've done with every other trade discussion the last 18 months, so there's probably not much to talk about here
Philly - they've got Markelle Fultz, Zhaire Smith, and an unprotected pick from Miami in 2021. I have no idea what any of those assets will turn into, and I don't think they do either.
Dallas - if they even got involved. Dennis Smith Jr. would be the obvious big prize in this scenario, but I'm not convinced the talk is real. Charlotte would probably have to add something in this scenario, considering the age and contract scenarios.

Don't forget the nuggets: Jamal Murray and something else

Clippers: sga, the other rookie, matching salary and this years first for kemba.

If they really want to push the money for the summer cha could take Gallo for another a first and something else with lamb and frank going back.

That would give them kemba, Harris, kawahi?, and more money for another

#13 nowhere fast Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:57 PM

nowhere fast

Crash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Joined 16-May 17

https://fansided.com...-contract-year/

Bledsoe seems like the weak link as far as the Bucks winning everything this year. 

http://www.espn.com/...radeId=y8tw7nbj

#14 powellrmp Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:48 PM

powellrmp

Braindead Stupid 2020

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,313 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16

is 5 years/188m the max the hornets can offer kemba? For some reason, I had blake griffin's contract numbers stuck in my head 5 years/171m

#15 Adam42R Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:19 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,065 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
He can upgrade to something a bit north of a full Steph if her gets an all-star bid this year. Might also apply to an all NBA nod but thought it was tied to the three all star appearances minimally. That number is something like 211m iirc.

Note that I don't think we need to pay him anything near that, I don't think he wants something like that and if he did, I don't think he's worth it once you go above 135 or so unless the cap is growing significantly again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users