17 replies to this topic

#1 Adam42R Posted 09 February 2019 - 08:19 AM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,936 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

Figured we might want a thread to discuss. As far as I see it, Mitch (and MJ by proxy) are hanging their hopes on Kemba retention around making the playoffs full stop. So regardless of what realities lie beyond June, if we assume, that's the metric by which we should care, here we are on the morning of game 55 at 2 games below .500.  

ESPN as of 7:00 pm last night (2.8.19) had us at a projected 38 win season with 66.7% probability of playoffs

zBv1LoO.png

FiveThirtyEight has with a 38 & 37 win season and a similar 60-65% playoff probability depending on model.  

ufcgluT.png

ELO Projection

sH0NWvM.png

Now neither of these predictors mean anything if we come out of the trade deadline flat or exit the ASB like we don't care. But if Mitch is right and those around us don't care as much as we do about making the playoffs, then this should be interesting to chase. I'm hoping that we can get up to 6th but I have no reason to think that our addition (Cody) is equivalent to the Nets (LaVert) but will be interesting to watch.

To reiterate from above, this thread isn't about the virtue of making the playoffs, it's about making the playoffs because our FO has declared that is their number one goal. And if their longer term #1 is retaining Kemba, we can only assume "they know what they need to do" means making the playoffs :)   

Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#2 Mich_Mercer Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:14 PM

Mich_Mercer

Jeff "Sure I'll Start" McInnis

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,380 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC
By that time, If Monk keeps improving, the playoffs could become his coming out party. He’s improved so much and I can’t wait to see how he finishes off this season. Maybe Kemba’s star help is already on the team. I have to stay positive somehow. Haha

#3 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:56 PM

GeraldWallaceMVP

Dwight's Only Fan

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,659 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC
According to tankathon the teams in search of the 6-8 seeds in playoffs schedule strength are as follows-

Charlotte- 3rd

Brooklyn- 5th

Miami- 8th

Detroit- 21st

#4 gforce03 Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:14 PM

gforce03

Sean May... Krispy-Kreme MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Joined 29-June 16

What's Playoff Carmelo Adjustment?

#5 Adam42R Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:58 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 7,936 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

What's Playoff Carmelo Adjustment?

...the latter is more complex, using team depth charts and constantly updating player ratings to track just how much talent is on each team (after accounting for trades, injuries and disgruntled teammates).

Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#6 JGib23 Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:59 PM

JGib23

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,448 posts
  • Joined 27-October 08
I’m conflicted.

Me: Would love to make the playoffs and have the young guys get a taste if the postseason. Reality is we lose in round 1 in a gentleman’s sweep.

Also me: let’s miss the playoffs and avoid the embarrassment. Then pull for lady lottery luck to repay us for all the pain of the past. Gift wrapping Zion to Charlotte and completely changing the outlook of our team for the next decade.

Also, also me: reality sets in, we miss the playoffs, we don’t move up in the lottery, we draft another fucking “glue guy”

#7 Hornets686 Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:16 PM

Hornets686

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationConnecticut

The Nets have Shabazz tho!

#8 Mich_Mercer Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:53 AM

Mich_Mercer

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,380 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC
I’m still not sure that I even trust the lottery process. Let me see the number being drawn. It’s defintely been better since Adam Silver has been the commossioner though. Just too many perfect teams for the number one pick, when Stern was Commish... pretty much to help Lebron and his legacy. Could have been just a chance, all that happened like it did, but I kind of doubt it. Hopefully things are different now and the NBA will pay us back... and give us the number one pick. Ha

#9 Mustachio Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:47 AM

Mustachio

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,050 posts
  • Joined 11-July 06
There has never been a more lead pipe solid lock than the New York Knicks getting the number one pick. Forget about it.
Into the crevasse!

"Climb down Lemon, Climb down"Posted Image

#10 Keetch Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:24 PM

Keetch

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,855 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06
Why not Cleveland again? I’m all in on Cleveland.
Rollin' in Doh

#11 powellrmp Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:25 PM

powellrmp

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,266 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16

By "playoff push" I'm assuming you mean all of the other teams in the Eastern Conference? 

As it applies to the Hornets, maybe a "playoff stumble and fall" title is more appropriate.

#12 Whiz Kid Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:18 PM

Whiz Kid

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Joined 11-April 12

I just have this feeling Miami is going to make a post all star break run and we're gonna end up the 9th seed by by like 2 games. The NBA would probably prefer this anyway. D-Wade in the playoffs for his last hoorah > Charlotte in the playoffs getting swept.

#13 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 12 February 2019 - 02:17 PM

GeraldWallaceMVP

Dwight's Only Fan

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,659 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC

By "playoff push" I'm assuming you mean all of the other teams in the Eastern Conference? 

As it applies to the Hornets, maybe a "playoff stumble and fall" title is more appropriate.

Probably a playoff stumble

#14 eshelmon Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:24 PM

eshelmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Joined 04-July 13
  • LocationGreensboro

Close finishes predicted, comes down to tiebreakers we got it against Detroit 3-0, 2-0 against both Orl & Miami with 2 games left, 0-1 vs Wiz with 2 games left.

#15 cltblkhscoach Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:51 PM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,544 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
Detroit is the one since that scares me since they were really making moves with a seasoned coach.

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#16 powellrmp Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:45 PM

powellrmp

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,266 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16

Detroit is the one since that scares me since they were really making moves with a seasoned coach.

Charlotte is the only team that scares me. With nic Batum shuffling up and down the court like he he's taken a hand full of xanax, you never know what he's gonna do. He could always stand out of bounds during a last second 4th quarter in bounds play in an attempt to tie the game.

Or he could just stand outside the 3 point line and brick threes and pose no threat of actually attacking the basket. People can guard him like ben Simmons except he's not a threat to shoot OR drive. Batum can turn our offensive possessions into an NHL style power play-except the Hornets are the ones with 4 players on the penalty kill.

PLAYOFF PUSH!!!!!

#17 cltblkhscoach Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:13 PM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,544 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
You mad bruh?

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#18 powellrmp Posted 13 February 2019 - 03:38 PM

powellrmp