117 replies to this topic

#41 powellrmp Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:07 PM

powellrmp

Braindead Stupid 2020

• 1000+ posts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16
Whatever happens. I'll just continue to wear my MKG jersey and still love my team. Great group of guys. Just want more wins. I don't have anything against j-lamb.

#42 powellrmp Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:27 PM

powellrmp

Braindead Stupid 2020

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,364 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16
I'm going to the unc/uva game tonight. I'll respond later.

Go heels

#43 eshelmon Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:16 PM

eshelmon

Jeff "Sure I'll Start" McInnis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Joined 04-July 13
  • LocationGreensboro
Perhaps will help put in perspective on many of us reluctance in believing Lamb will be resigned. Minimum cost to resign Lamb based on this year cap is apprimately 43.75 million...15 million over is taxed 28.75 million. Owner who has shown no inclination to pay any tax in past is going to pay huge 43 million+ for Jeremy Lamb? I’m all in for MJ spending his money, but ain’t believing it’s going to happen until that deals done.

Imo, much much more likely if front office is going to bring back Lamb no matter what...except MJs money...clears cap room if can find team with space and make a move like trading monk and biz clears 21 million.

#44 Mustachio Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:52 AM

Mustachio

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,170 posts
  • Joined 11-July 06

Perhaps will help put in perspective on many of us reluctance in believing Lamb will be resigned. Minimum cost to resign Lamb based on this year cap is apprimately 43.75 million...15 million over is taxed 28.75 million. Owner who has shown no inclination to pay any tax in past is going to pay huge 43 million+ for Jeremy Lamb? I’m all in for MJ spending his money, but ain’t believing it’s going to happen until that deals done.

Imo, much much more likely if front office is going to bring back Lamb no matter what...except MJs money...clears cap room if can find team with space and make a move like trading monk and biz clears 21 million.

I do think a summer trade is likely.     It won't be Monk if we are re-signing Lamb.  

But here's the thing... you say trade for cap space.   That's not that easy.   Most teams will have to get close to matching salary with the exception of about 4 teams next year who have a ton of cap space.  Atl, NY, PHX and Dallas.    Dallas and NY are going for big money guys so that rules them out.    So if you want some relief you're relying on a trade with ATL or PHX.   Both teams would want an extra draft pick, so you could realistically move Biz and the first rounder and save enough money in a trade to sign Lamb without his cap hit affecting the lux tax.    

That still means you're likely going over for Kemba.    I would be ok with a move like that and sign Lamb.   but I'd almost just rather lose Biz in the next offseason and keep the pick and have Jordan spend a little extra money this year.   I know Jordan hasn't gone over yet, but he has repeatedly said he would if he had to.   The pick keeps us on track youth/contract wise and it would only be one year of penalty still.  

But again if you don't sign Lamb, who do you plan on signing.   there isn't a player available at the SG position worth talking about until 2021 and we likely won't be on Oladipo or Beals radar.  And even if we are in competition for those guys, we will have plenty of room to work with then.   

Lamb/Monk is the best available, cost efficient solution to the SG position we have for the next two years.  And I'm pretty happy with it.  

Into the crevasse!

"Climb down Lemon, Climb down"Posted Image

#45 cltblkhscoach Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:07 PM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,866 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06

Guys don't forget about the 7.8 million trade exception we have, it expires in July. I expect us to use that to help our financial situation as well. 

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#46 kiery101 Posted 12 February 2019 - 02:06 PM

kiery101

Crash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Joined 21-June 15
  • LocationRegensburg, Germany

Makes me sad to read about our financial situation. I was dreaming of getting Khris Middleton this offseason :(
I just feel he's the kind of two way player CHA lacks desperately.

#47 gforce03 Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:09 PM

gforce03

Sean May... Krispy-Kreme MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Joined 29-June 16

Marksmen sad to read about our financial situation. I was dreaming of getting Khris Middleton this offseason :(
I just feel he's the kind of two way player CHA lacks desperately.

no way Bucks are not keeping him, he is vital to their sucess

#48 kiery101 Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:45 PM

kiery101

Crash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Joined 21-June 15

no way Bucks are not keeping him, he is vital to their sucess

He will be a UFA in 2020 or even 2019 if he chooses not to pick his Player option. 

Depending on the situation in Milwaukee one could dream of luring him away with a max or near max contract. 

It's a gamble with this amount of money but at the moment it looks like he's worth it. 

#49 eshelmon Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:47 PM

eshelmon

Jeff "Sure I'll Start" McInnis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Joined 04-July 13
  • LocationGreensboro

I do think a summer trade is likely.     It won't be Monk if we are re-signing Lamb.  

But here's the thing... you say trade for cap space.   That's not that easy.   Most teams will have to get close to matching salary with the exception of about 4 teams next year who have a ton of cap space.  Atl, NY, PHX and Dallas.    Dallas and NY are going for big money guys so that rules them out.    So if you want some relief you're relying on a trade with ATL or PHX.   Both teams would want an extra draft pick, so you could realistically move Biz and the first rounder and save enough money in a trade to sign Lamb without his cap hit affecting the lux tax.    

That still means you're likely going over for Kemba.    I would be ok with a move like that and sign Lamb.   but I'd almost just rather lose Biz in the next offseason and keep the pick and have Jordan spend a little extra money this year.   I know Jordan hasn't gone over yet, but he has repeatedly said he would if he had to.   The pick keeps us on track youth/contract wise and it would only be one year of penalty still.  

But again if you don't sign Lamb, who do you plan on signing.   there isn't a player available at the SG position worth talking about until 2021 and we likely won't be on Oladipo or Beals radar.  And even if we are in competition for those guys, we will have plenty of room to work with then.   

Lamb/Monk is the best available, cost efficient solution to the SG position we have for the next two years.  And I'm pretty happy with it.  

Yes trade for cap space hard.  Just as likely to cap trade IMO, we end up trading for SG other teams want to move...Mitch trade one of our expiring and take on extra contract years for Barton or Waiters for instance and get a couple 2nd rounders too.

Make every thing easy MJ, spend money.

#50 GOBOBCATS24 Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:52 PM

GOBOBCATS24

Sean May... Krispy-Kreme MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Joined 11-December 08
I am not on team resign Lamb. I think that he is the type of player that will regree once he gets his next contract. Honestly, I can't stand his styple of play either. It is very frustrating to watch him get the ball and then go 1 on 3 to the basket, or shoot a contested 3. His game passes the eye test the first time, but then the more you see it, the more you cringe every time he gets the ball. Also, don't get me started on his defense.......

#51 Adam42R Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:59 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,352 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

I am not on team resign Lamb. I think that he is the type of player that will regree once he gets his next contract. Honestly, I can't stand his styple of play either. It is very frustrating to watch him get the ball and then go 1 on 3 to the basket, or shoot a contested 3. His game passes the eye test the first time, but then the more you see it, the more you cringe every time he gets the ball. Also, don't get me started on his defense.......

I actually can't disagree with any of this. And at the same time, I can't think of a better option on a vet min contract. Now if we can trade something to bring in someone more SGie then I would be fine in not retaining him. But outside of that, I am more comfortable with paying him than paying a vet min to someone that lives up to that billing.
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#52 Whiz Kid Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:25 PM

Whiz Kid

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Joined 11-April 12

I actually can't disagree with any of this. And at the same time, I can't think of a better option on a vet min contract. Now if we can trade something to bring in someone more SGie then I would be fine in not retaining him. But outside of that, I am more comfortable with paying him than paying a vet min to someone that lives up to that billing.

My initial thoughts are if we believe in Monk, let Lamb walk, give Monk the keys, sign a cheap non-ball dominant shooter to come off the bench. Like a Seth Curry, Wayne Ellington, Reggie Bullock, who are all free agents next season if I'm not mistaken.

It's completely by coincidence that all the guys I named have North Carolina ties in some way. 

#53 Adam42R Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:18 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,352 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

My initial thoughts are if we believe in Monk, let Lamb walk, give Monk the keys, sign a cheap non-ball dominant shooter to come off the bench. Like a Seth Curry, Wayne Ellington, Reggie Bullock, who are all free agents next season if I'm not mistaken.

It's completely by coincidence that all the guys I named have North Carolina ties in some way.

I feel if we promote Monk to a starting role and don't need to, we're stunting our growth. It you believe in Monk, it seems you are sacrificing bench strength . They might very well do what you are suggesting, I just don't like it to save a 15m premium one year. And if paying the tax one year is the price for perceived meddling by Mike on personnel decisions, maybe that's a good wrist slap.

Don't mistake the intent here. It we could get a Danny Green for Lamb money and had cap room to do it, if prefer that. I just think Lamb over Wayne/Seth favors Lamb.
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#54 Mustachio Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:34 PM

Mustachio

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,170 posts
  • Joined 11-July 06

I feel if we promote Monk to a starting role and don't need to, we're stunting our growth. It you believe in Monk, it seems you are sacrificing bench strength . They might very well do what you are suggesting, I just don't like it to save a 15m premium one year. And if paying the tax one year is the price for perceived meddling by Mike on personnel decisions, maybe that's a good wrist slap.

Don't mistake the intent here. It we could get a Danny Green for Lamb money and had cap room to do it, if prefer that. I just think Lamb over Wayne/Seth favors Lamb.

I'll take Lamb over Danny Green too.   I like Lambs game and his facial expressions.   DONT @ ME!

But seriously... Lamb's contribution is just higher than any young, available shooting guard over the next two years.   More points, more rebounds.  

I think it's also a decent hedge on Monk never fully realizing his potential either.  You've still got a relatively young Lamb, adding 15 ppg and getting better every year.  

I know it's not hip to hate Lamb but I think he's a very underrated player.   

Into the crevasse!

#55 Bogg Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:34 PM

Bogg

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,297 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12

Yea, the tax gets expensive really quickly, and that figure assumes that the first dollar paid to Lamb is also the first dollar that counts against the tax - I expect Charlotte to go over the tax just re-signing Kemba (if they can), meaning that amount for Lamb would be even more expensive. That being said, there's really no reason for Lamb to get $15 million per year. There are some teams opening up cap space to go star-hunting, but I doubt they'd double back to Lamb and extend Gina relatively huge offer. More likely his market is somewhere in the neighborhood of the MLEs.

#56 Whiz Kid Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:38 PM

Whiz Kid

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Joined 11-April 12

I wouldn't necessarily say that a move like this would sacrifice bench strength. If Monk became the starter getting 30+ minutes a night, I believe he matches or surpasses Lambs production (offensively of course), and having a 40% shooter coming off the bench in Monk's place opens up our offense so much for other scoring opportunities. Part of where we struggle is the fact that we haven't had a guard who is a knockdown shooter on the team since Courtney Lee (and Troy Daniels that same year).

#57 kiery101 Posted 13 February 2019 - 02:49 PM

kiery101

Crash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Joined 21-June 15

I'll take Lamb over Danny Green too.   I like Lambs game and his facial expressions.   DONT @ ME!

But seriously... Lamb's contribution is just higher than any young, available shooting guard over the next two years.   More points, more rebounds.  

I think it's also a decent hedge on Monk never fully realizing his potential either.  You've still got a relatively young Lamb, adding 15 ppg and getting better every year.  

I know it's not hip to hate Lamb but I think he's a very underrated player.

I think someone already expressed concerns similar to mine about Lamb on this board.
He came to Charlotte in a contract year playing like an Allstar in the make but his production fell of a cliff right after he signed his current contract. It took him nearly three years and another contract year to get to the same level (an even better level to be fair) again.
And although his D is better he's far from being a good defender. So if he wants something north of 10 mil a year I would let him walk.

#58 powellrmp Posted 13 February 2019 - 03:33 PM

powellrmp

Braindead Stupid 2020

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,364 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16

Yea, the tax gets expensive really quickly, and that figure assumes that the first dollar paid to Lamb is also the first dollar that counts against the tax - I expect Charlotte to go over the tax just re-signing Kemba (if they can), meaning that amount for Lamb would be even more expensive. That being said, there's really no reason for Lamb to get $15 million per year. There are some teams opening up cap space to go star-hunting, but I doubt they'd double back to Lamb and extend Gina relatively huge offer. More likely his market is somewhere in the neighborhood of the MLEs.

I agree with you, but that's how how teams are shelling out $$ for shooting guards. And Lamb is a 26 year old playing the best ball of his life. Let's look at some SG contracts:

#10 Tim Hardaway Jr. 19.2

Allen Crabbe 18.5

Kent Bazemore 18

Evan Fournier 17

Gary Harris 16.5

JR Smith 15.7

#17 Eric Gordon 13.5

Tyreke Evans 12.4

JJ Reddick 12.2

Avery Bradley 12

#22 Kentavious Caldwell Pope 12

#29 Andre Roberson 10

#38 Jeremy Lamb 7.5

How people are thinking Lamb signs for 12 million or less is absolutely beyond me. That man is currently a starting SG, is 26 years old, putting up his best numbers on a contract year, and is about to get paid

#59 Mustachio Posted 13 February 2019 - 04:41 PM

Mustachio

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,170 posts
  • Joined 11-July 06

I agree with you, but that's how how teams are shelling out $$ for shooting guards. And Lamb is a 26 year old playing the best ball of his life. Let's look at some SG contracts:

How people are thinking Lamb signs for 12 million or less is absolutely beyond me. That man is currently a starting SG, is 26 years old, putting up his best numbers on a contract year, and is about to get paid

So you're on board with Lamb re-signing... nice!  

but seriously, still waiting to hear who you wanna sign with all that money we save from Lamb.  

Into the crevasse!

#60 Chef Posted 13 February 2019 - 04:58 PM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,965 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

#10 Tim Hardaway Jr. 19.2
Allen Crabbe 18.5
Kent Bazemore 18
Evan Fournier 17
Gary Harris 16.5
JR Smith 15.7
#17 Eric Gordon 13.5
Tyreke Evans 12.4
JJ Reddick 12.2
Avery Bradley 12
#22 Kentavious Caldwell Pope 12
#29 Andre Roberson 10
#38 Jeremy Lamb 7.5

How people are thinking Lamb signs for 12 million or less is absolutely beyond me. That man is currently a starting SG, is 26 years old, putting up his best numbers on a contract year, and is about to get paid.

To be fair the top 6 contracts were all during the cap expansion, aka drunk gm years

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users