117 replies to this topic

#61 dav7z Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:10 PM

dav7z

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Honorary Beagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,196 posts
  • Joined 16-June 06

If I am right the luxury tax is 132 mil next season. 143 mil in 21 . I think we will have enough money to pay both players. 

I think Lamb gets around 15 over 4  about 60 

#62 Founding Hornet Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:52 PM

Founding Hornet

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,282 posts
  • Joined 11-July 14
He and Kemba a package deal perhaps?????

#63 Chef Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:31 PM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,845 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

He and Kemba a package deal perhaps?????

To new York.

But seriously, if kemba wants to take a discount, that is fine

Holding out hope that Mike sells.

#64 Mich_Mercer Posted 14 February 2019 - 10:44 AM

Mich_Mercer

Keep Monk and MKG

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,851 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC
I don’t like giving him that money. I honestly think Monk could be better than he is next year. I’d rather Monk get those minutes. I feel if we sign Lamb, Monk won’t resign with us, to play a bench role and never get the playing time he needs. I’d rather roll the dice on Monk than pay a medecre SG a lot of money.

#65 Mustachio Posted 14 February 2019 - 10:54 AM

Mustachio

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,356 posts
  • Joined 11-July 06

I don’t like giving him that money. I honestly think Monk could be better than he is next year. I’d rather Monk get those minutes. I feel if we sign Lamb, Monk won’t resign with us, to play a bench role and never get the playing time he needs. I’d rather roll the dice on Monk than pay a medecre SG a lot of money.

Monk is under contract until 2022. Signing Lamb to a three year deal wouldn't affect him in the slightest.

I'm all about getting Monk more minutes and him taking the roll of SG over permanently. But he isn't there yet and someone has to play shooting guard when he's on the bench getting rest anyway.

Monk and Lamb is 25 ppg for under 20 million. Look around at other teams. That's really good production for value compared to most other teams. Teams that do better than that have a stud SG that we aren't signing any time soon. Hopefully Monk becomes that stud. Lamb/Monk becomes Monk/Lamb in year 2 or 3 and we're still really solid at shooting guard.

I'm all ears for a better option in the free agent class, but haven't heard a peep.
Into the crevasse!

"Climb down Lemon, Climb down"Posted Image

#66 Chef Posted 14 February 2019 - 01:32 PM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,845 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

Monk is under contract until 2022. Signing Lamb to a three year deal wouldn't affect him in the slightest.

I'm all about getting Monk more minutes and him taking the roll of SG over permanently. But he isn't there yet and someone has to play shooting guard when he's on the bench getting rest anyway.

Monk and Lamb is 25 ppg for under 20 million. Look around at other teams. That's really good production for value compared to most other teams. Teams that do better than that have a stud SG that we aren't signing any time soon. Hopefully Monk becomes that stud. Lamb/Monk becomes Monk/Lamb in year 2 or 3 and we're still really solid at shooting guard.

I'm all ears for a better option in the free agent class, but haven't heard a peep.

Perhaps punting. I said it during the cap bump years too. Just leave it. If you do, you have even more space the next year and the year after that for free agents or salary based trades that work in your favor.

I would not offer lamb 3+ years. I would rather offer him 1 year at 21 mil.

Holding out hope that Mike sells.

#67 Keetch Posted 14 February 2019 - 02:07 PM

Keetch

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,157 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06
21 mil for one year = $100k a year for 210 years or $350k a year for 60 years (normal remaining years). Before taxes. That should be enough for a middling basketball player. 37% tax bracket! Huh, sounds kind of low actually.
Rollin' in Doh

#68 Whiz Kid Posted 14 February 2019 - 02:45 PM

Whiz Kid

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Joined 11-April 12

The Monk isn't ready argument to keep Lamb to play over him doesn't do it for me. If you look at most good young guards in the league, they're good because they got ample opportunity early on. The "bring him along slowly" player development model isn't one that really happens much in the NBA anymore. Not saying its impossible, but its just not the current model. If you look at how our team has been over the past 3-5 years it seems like the front office has been betting on this type of development from our players yet it just hasn't happened. "Improvement from within" I believe was the quote.

I'd still rather let Lamb walk and just sign a cheap 3 and D wing to back him up for when he's making young player mistakes.

#69 Keetch Posted 14 February 2019 - 02:52 PM

Keetch

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,157 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06
I definitely think Monk should be playing more. Maybe move Lamb to the 3 some and give less minutes to Batum.

Or let Batum play point with Monk and/or Lamb at the wings. More Monk!
Rollin' in Doh

#70 Mustachio Posted 14 February 2019 - 04:07 PM

Mustachio

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,356 posts
  • Joined 11-July 06

Perhaps punting. I said it during the cap bump years too. Just leave it. If you do, you have even more space the next year and the year after that for free agents or salary based trades that work in your favor.

I would not offer lamb 3+ years. I would rather offer him 1 year at 21 mil.

I can actually get behind that.   That should at least assuage anyones "contract year" fears.     2 years for 30 mil seems like a good fit to me.   Not enough to bench Monk for, good enough player to start, excellent depth if Monk rises.   

Into the crevasse!

#71 dav7z Posted 14 February 2019 - 05:02 PM

dav7z

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,196 posts
  • Joined 16-June 06

if we give 3 or 4 to him ,and if monk by passes him its fine with me, lamb can play the three but right now lamb is our number 2 player on the team. if monk can/t by pass lamb in 3 years then we night need to rethink that position, we have way more pressing issues at the three and the four than the two

#72 Whiz Kid Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:10 PM

Whiz Kid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Joined 11-April 12

I could be wrong, but why do we all skip past Bacon in these 2 guard discussions? Maybe he takes a jump 3rd year and is the one ready for regular minutes behind Monk? He's the same TYPE of player as Lamb, obviously not as good yet.

#73 cltblkhscoach Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:13 PM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,313 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06

I could be wrong, but why do we all skip past Bacon in these 2 guard discussions? Maybe he takes a jump 3rd year and is the one ready for regular minutes behind Monk? He's the same TYPE of player as Lamb, obviously not as good yet.

I think Bacon definitely has a role in this situation. Letting him play in the G League I think is just getting him ready to contribute

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#74 Adam42R Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:14 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,572 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
I was and really and still am high on Bacon but have some genuine concerns at how deemphasized he's been with this staff compared to other up and comers.
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#75 Founding Hornet Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:28 PM

Founding Hornet

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,282 posts
  • Joined 11-July 14

I definitely think Monk should be playing more. Maybe move Lamb to the 3 some and give less minutes to Batum.

Or let Batum play point with Monk and/or Lamb at the wings. More Monk!

The issue is defense.

#76 Founding Hornet Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:29 PM

Founding Hornet

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,282 posts
  • Joined 11-July 14

I was and really and still am high on Bacon but have some genuine concerns at how deemphasized he's been with this staff compared to other up and comers.

The gap between Lamb and Bacon is a VERY wide one.

#77 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:03 PM

GeraldWallaceMVP

All Aboard the Rozier Bandwagon

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,868 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC
Couldn’t you say Monk adds more offensively than he gives up defensively Batum is usually almost a non factor on offense and is just a slightly above average defender

#78 Mustachio Posted 19 February 2019 - 04:04 PM

Mustachio

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,356 posts
  • Joined 11-July 06

Couldn’t you say Monk adds more offensively than he gives up defensively Batum is usually almost a non factor on offense and is just a slightly above average defender

I love Monk and think it's too early and the minutes too inconsistent to make sweeping judgments based on the advanced stats... but the advance stats don't seem to show that.

Batum  OBPM: -.01  DBPM: .09

Monk    OBPM: -.04  DBPM: -3.4

I think patience with Monk is still necessary.   And that's coming from a guy who usually wants rookies getting massive minutes.  Monk is getting better, lets let him.  

Into the crevasse!

#79 Whiz Kid Posted 19 February 2019 - 04:58 PM

Whiz Kid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Joined 11-April 12

I still don't see Monk's defense being atrociously bad. Not an unplayable level when you look in reference to how to league values defense. Only problem I have with his defense is that he gambles too much which leads to him losing his man off ball. Thats more simple of a fix then just pure effort. Batum's ineffectiveness is cringeworthy at times. Maybe he'd would be better off as the 6th man where he could go back to having the ball in his hands more and be the playmaker he's supposed to be.

#80 Keetch Posted 19 February 2019 - 06:49 PM

Keetch

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,157 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06
Batum’s on ball defense is mostly let the guy run around you and hope to block him from behind. Its effective when it happens. Off ball, he’s pretty good at disrupting passing lanes. He’ll play his man soft or ignore a switch as much as the rest of them tho (excepting MKG, Kemba; maybe Cody and Biz).
Rollin' in Doh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users