•  
Photo

So build around Kemba with our young players......

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Founding Hornet Posted 16 February 2019 - 07:58 AM

Founding Hornet

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• 1000+ posts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Joined 11-July 14
Yet none of our young pups even played last night.....

Man, I’m just bitter we did nothing before the deadline.....

I’m honestly ready to blow it all up

#2 Chef Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:03 AM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,965 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08
What is the vibe you are hearing from the front office and / or players

#3 Founding Hornet Posted 16 February 2019 - 11:59 AM

Founding Hornet

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,077 posts
  • Joined 11-July 14
Well, they walked into a buzz saw in orlando. I was at the game.

Orlando on 5 game win streak. We beat them a dozen or so times in a row.....

No Parker

But the effort was shit.

I can tell you this, some of the players are sick and tired of the lack of defensive effort that most of the team displays night in and night out. For the most part, these guys enjoy playing together but losing mixed with a lousy effort will have them coming apart at the seams within the next 30 to 60 days if something doesn’t change.

#4 Whiz Kid Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:58 PM

Whiz Kid

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Joined 11-April 12

Why is Borrego so married to the current lineup? Why doesn't he try something different? Roll out Kemba/Monk/Lamb/MKG/Willy and bring the vets Nic, Marv, off the bench with the young guys Devonte and Miles for some stability. (Of course TP would be in place of Devonte when he's healthy but still). We gotta do something different, it's getting old. 

#5 Keetch Posted 16 February 2019 - 01:07 PM

Keetch

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,982 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06
I like Kemba/Lamb/Bridges/MKG/Zeller with Biz and Monk getting big minutes as well. Bring MKG back up to being the positive face of the franchise with Kemba. I’ve really missed that.

Unless MKG is washed(?). Dunno, but hope not.
Rollin' in Doh

#6 Bogg Posted 16 February 2019 - 01:18 PM

Bogg

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,297 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12

I like Kemba/Lamb/Bridges/MKG/Zeller with Biz and Monk getting big minutes as well. Bring MKG back up to being the positive face of the franchise with Kemba. I’ve really missed that.

He's not washed, he's just the player that he is - the big jump that was hoped for from him never materialized. Fine rotation guy, but the only reason he'd be any sort of face of the franchise is because he was picked second once upon a time.

#7 Keetch Posted 16 February 2019 - 01:45 PM

Keetch

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,982 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06
Ya but there was a time when his defense was better than it is now; like when he was guarding SF’s and not 6-11 guys. He used to be great at leading a fast break. That rarely happens anymore. I think the league may be starting to pass him by. That makes me sad; MKG has always been one of my favorite players. He always seemed to play hard.
Rollin' in Doh

#8 Founding Hornet Posted 16 February 2019 - 01:51 PM

Founding Hornet

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,077 posts
  • Joined 11-July 14

He is not washed up and is only person playing solid D right now.

#9 Whiz Kid Posted 16 February 2019 - 03:07 PM

Whiz Kid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Joined 11-April 12

The evolution of MKG's game won't come with a development of his jumpshot but with the development of his vision and ability to find the open man. Theres plenty of times I watch games, see him attack the rim and miss guys for open 3's on the kick outs because he has tunnel vision once he decides he's going to attack.

#10 Mich_Mercer Posted 16 February 2019 - 04:38 PM

Mich_Mercer

Jeff "Sure I'll Start" McInnis

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,603 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC
MKG is having the best offensive year he’s ever had. He actually can shoot now. They just don’t run enough stuff through him. I’d say hes still the second most important part of the team. He needs more minutes. Monk needs more minutres. Bridges needs more minutes

#11 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 16 February 2019 - 04:39 PM

GeraldWallaceMVP

Dwight's Only Fan

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,946 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC
I said this earlier this year but MKG is more or less the same player we drafted 6 years ago, he just has a slightly improved jump shot and is less aggressive attacking the rim due to injuries.

I think we failed in developing MKG because we focused so much on fixing his jump shot instead of improving his strengths

#12 Keetch Posted 16 February 2019 - 04:43 PM

Keetch

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,982 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06
Those shoulder injuries are tough. From experience I’m sensitive to that and still cringe when he gets in mix-ups. Hopefully he continues to get better and stronger. I’m still team MKG!
Rollin' in Doh

#13 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 16 February 2019 - 04:45 PM

GeraldWallaceMVP

Dwight's Only Fan

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,946 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
I think it’s pretty idiotic to think we can build through the draft and win with Kemba at the same time. Kemba has probably 2-4 years of elite level basketball in him unless we get absurdly lucky and draft a Giannis in picks 11-20 we won’t get any better unless we sign a guy or trade for a guy

#14 Bogg Posted 16 February 2019 - 05:01 PM

Bogg

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,297 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12

Bracing myself for some blowback on this, but.....

Gordon Hayward might finally be starting to round into form up in Boston (he's looked much better and more comfortable over the last month or so) and there's a not-insignificant chance that he's the primary salary headed out of Boston in a trade this summer for you know who (I know, I know, don't yell at me). If Charlotte's really committed to Kemba and intends to sign him to a huge long-term deal this summer they should keep a close eye on how Hayward's recovering this spring. He may be a buy-low opportunity as someone who doesn't make any sense on a rebuilding New Orleans and could hit the right sweet spot as a high-upside player whose acquisition cost isn't so high due to the past injury and his contract as the prevent the Hornets from being able to make a competitive bid. 

#15 Whiz Kid Posted 16 February 2019 - 05:19 PM

Whiz Kid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Joined 11-April 12

I said this earlier this year but MKG is more or less the same player we drafted 6 years ago, he just has a slightly improved jump shot and is less aggressive attacking the rim due to injuries.

I think we failed in developing MKG because we focused so much on fixing his jump shot instead of improving his strengths

I agree with this. I feel like we equated development when it comes to MKG to shooting progress. Instead, we should have been looking at how we use him. I believe MKG could be a 8/8/5 with elite defense guy if asked to have the ball in his hands and make plays within the offense. He’s had the skill set to play this role since high school. Instead we’ve just been playing 4 on 5 for the past 5 years hoping that one day he’ll miraculously start draining 3’s. He’s still only 25, so maybe we can still steer him in this direction.

#16 Chef Posted 16 February 2019 - 05:32 PM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,965 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

Bracing myself for some blowback on this, but.....

Gordon Hayward might finally be starting to round into form up in Boston (he's looked much better and more comfortable over the last month or so) and there's a not-insignificant chance that he's the primary salary headed out of Boston in a trade this summer for you know who (I know, I know, don't yell at me). If Charlotte's really committed to Kemba and intends to sign him to a huge long-term deal this summer they should keep a close eye on how Hayward's recovering this spring. He may be a buy-low opportunity as someone who doesn't make any sense on a rebuilding New Orleans and could hit the right sweet spot as a high-upside player whose acquisition cost isn't so high due to the past injury and his contract as the prevent the Hornets from being able to make a competitive bid.

Right now bostons bigger concern is kyrie not wanting to come back

#17 Bogg Posted 16 February 2019 - 06:00 PM

Bogg

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,297 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12

Right now bostons bigger concern is kyrie not wanting to come back

I'll preface by saying that I think the loudest of that noise was driven by Rich Paul and Lebron trying to spook Dell Demps, but Kyrie's subsequent comments made it clear he's at least keeping an eye on what options will be available to him this summer. That being said - I think that's actually a major driver of Boston's push to try to get Davis. If Kyrie's unsure of the situation in Boston, then getting a top-10 player who's supposedly pretty good friends with Kyrie would be a significant piece of leverage to get yourself back in the picture. I don't know where Davis will ultimately end up, but it would take a lot to get Ainge to not make an offer, considering he's been circling Davis for something like 3 years now. 

#18 Chef Posted 16 February 2019 - 06:47 PM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,965 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

I'll preface by saying that I think the loudest of that noise was driven by Rich Paul and Lebron trying to spook Dell Demps, but Kyrie's subsequent comments made it clear he's at least keeping an eye on what options will be available to him this summer. That being said - I think that's actually a major driver of Boston's push to try to get Davis. If Kyrie's unsure of the situation in Boston, then getting a top-10 player who's supposedly pretty good friends with Kyrie would be a significant piece of leverage to get yourself back in the picture. I don't know where Davis will ultimately end up, but it would take a lot to get Ainge to not make an offer, considering he's been circling Davis for something like 3 years now.

All I was trying to point out was that Davis is saying he would not resign with Boston. If they lose kyrie (and I think he is gone which is probably a blessing) it would definitely not be worth making a huge offer for 1 year of davis.

#19 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 16 February 2019 - 06:53 PM

GeraldWallaceMVP

Dwight's Only Fan

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,946 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
If Kyrie doesn’t leave I feel like that opens up the only way Kemba would leave which is if the Knicks got KD

But unlike most Hornets fans I’d be pretty neutral if Kemba left and wouldn’t see it as the death of our team so Id honestly be happy to see him competing for titles with axiom and KD

#20 Bogg Posted 16 February 2019 - 07:30 PM

Bogg

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,297 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12

All I was trying to point out was that Davis is saying he would not resign with Boston. If they lose kyrie (and I think he is gone which is probably a blessing) it would definitely not be worth making a huge offer for 1 year of davis.

It's possible that Irving has already made up his mind and is out the door - I don't think that that's the case, I think he simply intends to keep his options open and make the best decision for himself this summer, but it is possible. If that's indeed the case, then Boston may change course entirely or at a minimum take Tatum off the table. 

Getting that out of the way, I apologize for what I'm about to do, because you're going to get both barrels of the most entitled, obnoxious, Boston-fan corners of my conspiracy brain: Ainge has enough in his magazine to trade for both Durant and Davis. Danny Ainge is currently in his endgame from when he started shopping Pierce, KG, and Ray Allen back in about 2012 or so - getting a player like Davis and teaming him up with someone like Kyrie is what everything's been about for a half-decade or more. If he's indeed spooked about the possibility of Kyrie leaving to team up on the Knicks with Durant then I think it's more likely that he attempts to cut the legs out from under New York by engaging with Durant and the Warriors on an opt-in-and-trade than it is he sits back, passes on trading for a potential MVP while watching his best player walk in-division (and potentially losing Horford in the process too), and settles on running a young, good-not-great team until he retires. Not all of this is actually in his control, but I think it'd take a very specific series of events for him to back off of a Davis trade completely (like the Knicks winning the lottery and outbidding the Celtics). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users