10 replies to this topic

#1 Adam42R Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:58 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,352 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
So gang, time for me to get a new (or Gazelle used) cell. What's everyone rocking these days and what's been the experience?
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#2 Swedd523 Posted 01 March 2019 - 09:35 PM

Swedd523

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Moderators

• 9,501 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09
I use a pixel 2 xl and love it

#3 Adam42R Posted 01 March 2019 - 09:36 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,352 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

I use a pixel 2 xl and love it

Stock Android or LineageOS?
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#4 Swedd523 Posted 02 March 2019 - 07:27 AM

Swedd523

• Moderators

• 9,501 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09
Stock

It takes good pictures, gets on the internet, plays my games, and let's me video chat my kid whenever I'm gone.

Needs met

#5 ziggy Posted 03 March 2019 - 08:53 AM

ziggy

Administrator

• Administrators

• 13,381 posts
  • Joined 05-January 06
I'm still on a Samsung Galaxy
7, and I'm way too cheap to upgrade.

#6 Swedd523 Posted 03 March 2019 - 03:06 PM

Swedd523

• Moderators

• 9,501 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

I'm still on a Samsung Galaxy
7, and I'm way too cheap to upgrade.

Yeah I think phones have hit that point of diminishing returns on upgrading.

#7 Adam42R Posted 03 March 2019 - 04:02 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,352 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

I am at the point of diminishing usability.  Windows Mobile the platform is out of mainstream support already but will hit a lifecycle end in 2020.  So even though the hardware is still really impressive, I am in draw down for it so might as well find a swift moving platform to jump onto.

Also Swedd, your hardware is still in it's fully support window IIRC.  Should still have updates flowing and it being treated as a first class citizen for another year at least. Ziggy, I am interested if you are still getting updates.  My first rodeo with Samsung Galaxy phones was that they updated it for a few cycles but once they got two out, they left us well behind and it became an unusable brick.  

#8 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 04 March 2019 - 11:22 AM

GeraldWallaceMVP

Dwight's Only Fan

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,946 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC

I'm lame I use a iphone 6s

#9 Chef Posted 06 March 2019 - 06:49 AM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,965 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

i just (as in this morning) bought a motorola x4. i loathe paying for phones and computers but want something that is both useable and will get updated. it is on the android one project so it should get at least q maybe one more os update. it comes pretty close to stock android and is on sale. i was looking at either the moto g7 or nokia 7.1 but saving the $100 for a 64gb/4g phone that will continue to see security and os updates sealed the deal. i was leery of the alexa it comes with but bought after reading that it is up to me whether i enable it or not. i will definitely not be doing that.

https://www.motorola...android-one#buy

#10 Bogg Posted 02 April 2019 - 04:26 PM

Bogg

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,297 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12

I am at the point of diminishing usability.  Windows Mobile the platform is out of mainstream support already but will hit a lifecycle end in 2020.  So even though the hardware is still really impressive, I am in draw down for it so might as well find a swift moving platform to jump onto.

Also Swedd, your hardware is still in it's fully support window IIRC.  Should still have updates flowing and it being treated as a first class citizen for another year at least. Ziggy, I am interested if you are still getting updates.  My first rodeo with Samsung Galaxy phones was that they updated it for a few cycles but once they got two out, they left us well behind and it became an unusable brick.  

Funny, I was one of the last windows mobile holdouts too, until a car crash in November caused my main camera to stop working (phone was on the passenger seat at the time of the crash and wound up in the driver side footwell, so who knows what happened to it). Really liked the platform, shame they didn't get the developer buy-in to make it viable. 

i just (as in this morning) bought a motorola x4. i loathe paying for phones and computers but want something that is both useable and will get updated. it is on the android one project so it should get at least q maybe one more os update. it comes pretty close to stock android and is on sale. i was looking at either the moto g7 or nokia 7.1 but saving the $100 for a 64gb/4g phone that will continue to see security and os updates sealed the deal. i was leery of the alexa it comes with but bought after reading that it is up to me whether i enable it or not. i will definitely not be doing that.

https://www.motorola...android-one#buy

I'm with you on Android One. When I replaced my phone that got damaged in the crash I found a Nokia 6.1 open box (but in perfect condition) at Best Buy for $155. The camera is just okay, but otherwise does everything I need it to and with a cheap microSD card it has all the storage I need. Under $200 all-in for the phone and memory card and I'm guaranteed monthly security updates until like 2021.  Works for me. 

#11 Adam42R Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:32 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,352 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

Funny, I was one of the last windows mobile holdouts too, until a car crash in November caused my main camera to stop working (phone was on the passenger seat at the time of the crash and wound up in the driver side footwell, so who knows what happened to it). Really liked the platform, shame they didn't get the developer buy-in to make it viable. 

Funny indeed. I still have my Lumia 950XL (hell, still have my Lumia 928) as a WiFi phablet but went the Samsung route.  Had a lot of thoughts going with the One Plus 6T but was getting a lot of mixed messages about secure key management on any platform other than Pixel and Galaxy S-class so went with the latter. I have an iPhone 6S that I use for work that I loathe so I couldn't bring myself to go XS/XR/Xwhatever though I am sure it's the most secure of the lot.

On cost and such - I hear what you guys are saying on hating to spend and I do too, but have a pragmatic approach.  And it took me until my 30s to realize this.  First off, I use stuff like a phone or laptop until they can be wrung out dead so the "expense" is normally not a hard thing to depreciate over the years in my mind.  And to defray the hit, I do this thing to mitigate costs.  It might be something I am ok with because of my advanced age.  I just ask for best buy or performance bike gift cards for birthdays and holidays (e.g. sticky, like best buy card for 3 years in a row from anyone asking "what do you want this year for x?").  Every couple years it amounts to a most of the way toward a phone or laptop or road bike.  It doesn't make for scintillating celebrations bi-annually but the eventual payoff is more enjoyable for me.  

BTW Bogg, if you miss the Cortana WP + Win integration for messaging, try out Your Phone Companion. It's an even better implementation of the former and removes one of the pain points with moving off the WP platform.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users