•  
Photo

Why are Blazers 10 games over and we are 4 Under .500?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#1 Founding Hornet Posted 02 March 2019 - 04:57 PM

Founding Hornet

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• 1000+ posts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  • Joined 11-July 14
See what I’m gettin at boys?

Very similar clubs in talent......

One is a true point...... One is a shooting guard without the height...

I love Kemba guys but ..... if any of the top 10 players had this team, we would dominate the East. This is not a pedestrian roster.

Again, I love Kemba but...... eventually, you have to look at the best player and ask why we are not winning more. This notion and hypothesis is “off brand” if the rest of the team sucks but.... I’m not buying that.

This is a solid team who has been together for a long time....(in NBA years.)

#2 Mich_Mercer Posted 02 March 2019 - 05:21 PM

Mich_Mercer

Jeff "Sure I'll Start" McInnis

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,504 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC
I’ve always thought, we’ll never be a great team, as Kemba being our best player. I just feel he is too small. It really shows up late in games. Lillard is on another level than Kemba to me. But don’t get me wrong, I love Kemba, but I just don’t think we can be bad enough or good enough with him, to really get that star player we need to pair with him. I think that player will come from a top pick in the draft.... that’s something we’ll never have if we have Kemba on the team.

#3 BPfromfrance Posted 02 March 2019 - 05:29 PM

BPfromfrance

Sean May... Krispy-Kreme MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Joined 16-April 13
You're totally right about dominating the east with a top10 player

Problem is 3 of this top10 NBA players are in Golden state, another signed in LA last summer while another wanted to join him at last deadline. Harden westbrook giannis are under contract. Irving & Leonard are not coming in Charlotte this summer, garanted.

So after all, let's keep kemba don't you think?

#4 cltblkhscoach Posted 02 March 2019 - 06:25 PM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,703 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
I think we need to take a look at the one good season we had lately as a blueprint for success here.

Nic Batum playing well
Cody being Cody
Jeremy Lin and Big Al off the bench
Courtney Lee coming as a good 2 way player in the starting lineup

I think thats why Lamb was moved to the bench #1. If Frank can be consistent it helps a ton obviously.
Miles stepping up would be huge in that starting unit.

Over time, we still need a 4 man if Batum is gonna be at the 2 and Miles at the 3. Marvin needs to move to the bench next year.

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#5 cltblkhscoach Posted 02 March 2019 - 06:29 PM

cltblkhscoach

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,703 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
Portland also has a very underrated offensive coach in Terry Stotts. They developed CJ McCollum well. Here's something interesting:

In his first two seasons he averaged 5.3 and 6.8 points respectively. His 3rd season, he shot up to 20.8 PPG as a starter and won the most improved player award.

If thats not a case study for Malik Monk I dont know what is. Thats why Im excited for this offseason with him, its crucial.

#6 Swedd523 Posted 02 March 2019 - 06:46 PM

Swedd523

• Moderators

• 9,453 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

The talent on this roster is completely overrated, for starters

#7 Founding Hornet Posted 02 March 2019 - 06:49 PM

Founding Hornet

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,059 posts
  • Joined 11-July 14

I think we need to take a look at the one good season we had lately as a blueprint for success here.

Nic Batum playing well
Cody being Cody
Jeremy Lin and Big Al off the bench
Courtney Lee coming as a good 2 way player in the starting lineup

I think thats why Lamb was moved to the bench #1. If Frank can be consistent it helps a ton obviously.
Miles stepping up would be huge in that starting unit.

Over time, we still need a 4 man if Batum is gonna be at the 2 and Miles at the 3. Marvin needs to move to the bench next year.

Good post

#8 Adam42R Posted 02 March 2019 - 06:56 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,075 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
Really feel we need a bona fide second. For PDX, that's CJ. For us, that's whoknowswho. Nic and Cody on this team with a Bealesque second option would be tremendously good and it would make Kemba all the more threatening. I think if we can't curate our own into that, we're a couple years away from being able to acquire it.
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#9 Founding Hornet Posted 02 March 2019 - 07:17 PM

Founding Hornet

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,059 posts
  • Joined 11-July 14
I don’t disagree Adam. I just don’t see that much difference in us and Portland...

Perhaps FO thinks Lamb is a poor man’s McC?

#10 cltblkhscoach Posted 02 March 2019 - 07:53 PM

cltblkhscoach

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,703 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
Portland is better with McCollum and Nurkic over Batum and Cody for sure. You could say everything else is close to a wash possibly, but they have been together longer and coached better also.

#11 Adam42R Posted 02 March 2019 - 07:59 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,075 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
The question isn't are Cody and Nic better than Nurkic and CJ; it's about finding our X where Cody, Nic, and X are on par with Nurkic, CJ and say Aminu.
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#12 Founding Hornet Posted 02 March 2019 - 08:11 PM

Founding Hornet

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,059 posts
  • Joined 11-July 14
Perhaps he is......

But is Kemba Damien..... the answer is clearly no..... right?

#13 Whiz Kid Posted 02 March 2019 - 10:09 PM

Whiz Kid

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Joined 11-April 12
lol this team is NOT “dominating the East” with any top 10 player in the NBA subbed for Kemba.
Lebron-No
KD-No
Steph-No
Harden-No
Giannis-No
AD-No
Kawhi-No
Paul George-No
Joel-No
Kyrie-No
Russ-No

That’s 11 players off the top of my head that could all be considered top 10 depending on who you ask.

The reality is this is a team that has been together for years and had the same results year after year because we’re just not that fucking good lmao.

#14 jfoster Posted 03 March 2019 - 12:14 AM

jfoster

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,417 posts
  • Joined 25-April 14
  • LocationGreenville, South Carolina

lol this team is NOT “dominating the East” with any top 10 player in the NBA subbed for Kemba.
Lebron-No
KD-No
Steph-No
Harden-No
Giannis-No
AD-No
Kawhi-No
Paul George-No
Joel-No
Kyrie-No
Russ-No

That’s 11 players off the top of my head that could all be considered top 10 depending on who you ask.

The reality is this is a team that has been together for years and had the same results year after year because we’re just not that fucking good lmao.

Would the team be better with lebron,kd,or giannis as the star player? Absolutely but would they dominate the east? No. The bottom of the east is still trash but the top (toromto,philly,Milwaukee) are not a pushover. Those are some really good teams with tons of depth.

#15 Founding Hornet Posted 03 March 2019 - 07:19 AM

Founding Hornet

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,059 posts
  • Joined 11-July 14

Lebron-No
KD-No
Steph-No
Harden-No
Giannis-No
AD-No
Kawhi-No
Paul George-No
Joel-No
Kyrie-No
Russ-No

Thanks for listing them, we would be the top team in East with any one of these players instead of Kemba. Dominate comment was the alcohol talking..... but we would be number one seed....

It’s tough for a team to develop offensively when your point guard is not a distributor..... it’s that simple.

#16 kiery101 Posted 03 March 2019 - 08:09 AM

kiery101

Crash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Joined 21-June 15
  • LocationRegensburg, Germany

It’s tough for a team to develop offensively when your point guard is not a distributor..... it’s that simple.

That one thought is going through my mind for quite some time.
It can't be coincidence that our best lineup through the years was build around two "point" guards on the floor.
Kemba / Lin was a nice one, two punch combo as both were versatile enough to play on and off the ball.
We're trying to emulate this with different players for some time now but didn't find anything close. That's why I hoped we would draft (and keep) SGA. His size would fit greatly and allow it to pair him with Kemba and Monk.

#17 Chef Posted 03 March 2019 - 10:15 AM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,782 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

It can't be coincidence that our best lineup through the years was build around two "point" guards on the floor.
Kemba / Lin was a nice one, two punch combo as both were versatile enough to play on and off the ball.
We're trying to emulate this with different players for some time now but didn't find anything close. That's why I hoped we would draft (and keep) SGA. His size would fit greatly and allow it to pair him with Kemba and Monk.

I am sure John wall is available for salary. Their first to cha for their 2nd and monk back might also be negotiable.

#18 nowhere fast Posted 03 March 2019 - 07:33 PM

nowhere fast

Crash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Joined 16-May 17

True that. The numbers say line-ups with Monk work out fine when you pair him with a true point like Tony. (And SGA looks to be the same.) Instead of another guy looking for his own shot.

On-topic: conditioning ourselves for when Kemba walks now?

#19 Icky Thump Posted 03 March 2019 - 07:41 PM

Icky Thump

Sean May... Krispy-Kreme MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Joined 28-June 07

The majority of this forum overrates the talent on this team and has for a long time. Kemba is the most talented player we have, that says a lot. I love the guy but he is what he is. The rest of the guys we've put around him the whole time are pretty much just MEH at best. Some of you are friends with those guys, some of you have connections with them etc. they are just run of the mill JAGS from what I've seen. That's why people hold on to some hope for draft picks and youth that the organization won't play enough cause we're chasing the playoffs with our basic at best squad.

giphy.gif

T73It2l.gifTime to nut up or shut up!

#20 Splitta Posted 04 March 2019 - 08:29 AM

Splitta

Primoz "The Slovenian Gangster" "Brezac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Joined 28-December 18

IMO we just have a screwed up roster and not much can be done until the bad contracts are gone.  We currently only have 2 NBA level scorers on the team in Kemba and Lamb.  I am not sure how Monk, Bridges, Graham, and Bacon will end up as we have not seen enough of them to know for sure.  The rest of the team is just trash and needs to be purged.  Any starting lineup that includes Batum, Marv, CZ, MKG is not going to win many games.  We have in fact probably over achieved.  We probably need to resign Lamb at a reasonable contract, if possible, and just let Kemba leave if he wants a max contract which he is not worth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users