104 replies to this topic

#41 nowhere fast Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:34 PM

nowhere fast

Crash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Joined 16-May 17

Thought the big "reset" happened signing a new FO last summer. Never figured Michael effing Jordan for a quitter.

(suddenly thinks back to that year with MJ in a baseball uniform) Err, oops...

#42 powellrmp Posted 12 March 2019 - 03:03 AM

powellrmp

Braindead Stupid 2020

• 1000+ posts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16
Sign and trades so rarely happen nowadays. When was the last substantial sign and trade that occurred?

#43 Chef Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:10 AM

Chef

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,119 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

Sign and trades so rarely happen nowadays. When was the last substantial sign and trade that occurred?

The heatles, and then LeBron back to Cleveland

#44 spaceshoes Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:31 AM

spaceshoes

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,087 posts
  • Joined 12-August 15
  • LocationFort Mill, SC
LeBron didn't get traded to Cleveland, he signed as a free agent.

#45 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:35 AM

GeraldWallaceMVP

Dwight's Only Fan

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,046 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC

Chris Paul to Houston

#46 Mustachio Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:30 PM

Mustachio

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,218 posts
  • Joined 11-July 06

rare does not equal impossible.   Kemba can earn 50 million more in Charlotte.    You know what else is rare?  A team like Dallas having more than half of the salary cap to play with, a functioning young team and a need at point guard and the largest trade exception in NBA history.  

If your fall back plan is keeping an all star point guard in his prime, I think we'll be ok.   

losing him for nothing is not a real option.   I mean its up to him at this point, but he's given every indication he plans to stay here.  

Into the crevasse!

"Climb down Lemon, Climb down"Posted Image

#47 Splitta Posted 12 March 2019 - 03:26 PM

Splitta

Primoz "The Slovenian Gangster" "Brezac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Joined 28-December 18

Just curious.  Who is "Founding Hornet"?  Is it MJ, MJ's brother, Fred Whitfield or Bob Johnson?  Can someone educate me?

#48 cltblkhscoach Posted 12 March 2019 - 04:04 PM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,923 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06

Just curious.  Who is "Founding Hornet"?  Is it MJ, MJ's brother, Fred Whitfield or Bob Johnson?  Can someone educate me?

Legend has it that he has been around since the founding of the Hornets in 1988, hence the name. So think of some people around that time and you'll get a good idea 

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#49 Proudiddy Posted 12 March 2019 - 04:54 PM

Proudiddy

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,801 posts
  • Joined 04-July 07
As much criticism as I have for MJ, I wouldnt want him to sell. The one thing I trust MJ with, above all else, is keeping the team in NC. A new owner? No telling.

#50 Splitta Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:46 PM

Splitta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Joined 28-December 18

Even if MJ sells, this team is not going anywhere.  The NBA knows Charlotte is a good and growing market and when the team ever starts winning and competing like the old Hornets, the attendance will increase dramatically.  The NBA did not want Shinn to move and started planning to return to Charlotte soon after the Hornets left.

#51 cltblkhscoach Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:20 PM

cltblkhscoach

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,923 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06

Even if MJ sells, this team is not going anywhere. The NBA knows Charlotte is a good and growing market and when the team ever starts winning and competing like the old Hornets, the attendance will increase dramatically. The NBA did not want Shinn to move and started planning to return to Charlotte soon after the Hornets left.

Facts. Hornets30.com has a video with Stern saying that exact thing.

I was telling someone that if the Hornets won big now this city would be Top 5 in attendance easily. The Panthers have shown the city will get behind a winner 100%

#52 dnbman Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:47 AM

dnbman

Existential Crisis Manager

• Moderators

• 6,191 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

Legend has it that he has been around since the founding of the Hornets in 1988, hence the name. So think of some people around that time and you'll get a good idea

I heard he likes to line up bobble heads under the fool moon and in a deep low voice repeatedly chant “Triiipuckaaaaaaaaaa... Triiipuckaaaaaaaaaaaa....”

Last Member: Nick Batum Fan Club

Professional Self-Loather

#53 ChickenCoop Posted 13 March 2019 - 02:30 PM

ChickenCoop

Gerald "Droppin' Bows like Dusty Rhodes" Henderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Joined 11-December 08

I had to go back and do some digging - but found this archived article interesting from a few years back. This whole scenario has been in the back of my mind with all of these recent sports team value assessments. 

https://www.forbes.c...l/#78220a5c6439

When Jordan bought the team for 175 million in 2010 - it was widely noted that actually only 25-30 million in equity changed hands, which was half of MJ's initial offer to Bob Johnson to invest as a partial owner & to gain basketball control. The remaining 150 million was a debt assumption at the time of the transaction. I remember some murmurs even then - that  banks could even be more likely to restructure the debt - because they saw the value that MJ brought Charlotte - over Bob Johnson, who had completely alienated the old school Charlotte business community. So who knows if that 150 million was ever even fully assumed. 

In not even 9 years (March, 17, 2010) -  and with only 2 post season appearances - Jordan has gained 1.125 Billion in his investment - if this team could actually be sold for 1.3. 

So just keep that in the back of your mind. MJ has done quite well here, especially considering the 2nd iteration of the Hornets on court successes. "The ceiling is the roof".

#54 Splitta Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:57 PM

Splitta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Joined 28-December 18

Facts. Hornets30.com has a video with Stern saying that exact thing.

I was telling someone that if the Hornets won big now this city would be Top 5 in attendance easily. The Panthers have shown the city will get behind a winner 100%

You are absolutely correct.  I was around during the original Hornets and went to many games.  The coliseum was always packed with 24,000 fanatical fans until Shinn and his stupidity lost favor with the fan base and city.  This city will support a winner big time and the NBA knows it.  

#55 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 13 March 2019 - 05:02 PM

GeraldWallaceMVP

Dwight's Only Fan

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,046 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC
Won’t every city support a winner?

#56 dnbman Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:45 PM

dnbman

Existential Crisis Manager

• Moderators

• 6,191 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

I think you're right. The south seems to draw noticeable attendance figures though when their teams do well. I remember when the Hurricanes played in the Stanley Cup that many of the commentators talked about how rabid and impressive the fan base was. That Charlotte set attendance records also adds to the mystique. 

Last Member: Nick Batum Fan Club

Professional Self-Loather

#57 spaceshoes Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:03 PM

spaceshoes

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,087 posts
  • Joined 12-August 15
  • LocationFort Mill, SC
Maybe we should alternate years, one year they're the Seattle Supersonics, the next year they're the Charlotte Hornets. The season ticket package would include airfare, hotel and tickets for 1-2 games during your off season.

#58 cltblkhscoach Posted 13 March 2019 - 10:30 PM

cltblkhscoach

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,923 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06

The last year of the Charlotte Hornets was a 2nd round playoff team that couldnt get 10,000 for a single playoff game that year. I was there for a couple of buy one get one free playoff tickets in the lower level as a 21 year old kid. Unbelievable.

#59 Chef Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:20 AM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,119 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

i think the hornets would be absolutely fine in charlotte. much is made of attendance and also the tendency for "away" fans to show up at the biggest games. of course this partly because of the yankee plague that has infested the southern cities being especially bad in charlotte. but more so to the fact that the nba markets players way above teams especially in newer nba cities such as charlotte. it is actually a good sign because for the past 15 years, the hornets have had zero superstars and only 1 true fire repeat all-star caliber player to get behind. despite this and other real factors like a terrible early tv deal, the folks of charlotte still come to the games in large enough numbers to keep a team.

if this team could ever get a string of luck behind them in terms of drafts (hello cleveland, golden state, etc) and get a bonafied superstar or two, the stands would be packed for sure.

#60 Splitta Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:37 AM

Splitta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Joined 28-December 18

What I was trying to reference was a winning team like maybe a 3rd to 5th seed which is where the original Hornets usually were.  This city would support that but not sure all NBA cities would support that level of winning (Atlanta for one).  It is hard to support a team that is actually one of the worse in the East minus the tanking teams.  JMO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users