•  
Photo

The Shelvin Mack playing over Monk game.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Mich_Mercer Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:36 AM

Mich_Mercer

Keep Monk and MKG

• 1000+ posts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC
I can’t believe Monk can’t even get minutes of Shelvin Mack. I guess it’s better to give minutes to a veteran who can barely play. It’s so frustrating. Just send Monk down to the Swarm, so he can at least play. Why even activate him at this point?

#2 Adam42R Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:03 AM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,609 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
They're we're at least four our five moments last night I thought, "that's got to bring Monk in" but alas neither he or Willy seem to appear as options these days. Somehow Marv can still be called upon to step out of bounds on a three out of a time out and Mack can dribble drive to nowhere though so there's that lol
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#3 Mustachio Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:46 PM

Mustachio

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,242 posts
  • Joined 11-July 06

100% agreed.   Borre-go gotta-go.

This is Clifford levels of hanging onto a thread.   It's gross and counterproductive to our development.  

Into the crevasse!

"Climb down Lemon, Climb down"Posted Image

#4 cltblkhscoach Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:42 PM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,951 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06

Our buddy Rick agrees:

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#5 Swedd523 Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:05 PM

Swedd523

• Moderators

• 9,586 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

You're Malik Monk

lottery pick in your second year

You don't start at point guard because the entrenched guy is an All-Star and face of the franchise

You don't start at two guard because Lamb is having the best year of his career and posting pretty solid numbers across the board

You understand both of these facts

After the ASB, you play a TOTAL of 63 minutes (in 13 games... under 5 minutes per)

The team piles on losses and falls out of the playoff race

You rack up DNP-CD in 6 of the last 9 games instead of giving you floor time so you can develop your skillset

You understand none of these facts

You are (probably and rightfully) pissed

The organization is not handling your situation properly

#6 Mich_Mercer Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:50 PM

Mich_Mercer

Keep Monk and MKG

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,681 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC
I kind of want Monk, MKG, Bridges, Graham, Bacon, Frank, to start their own team. I honestly think we’d win more games than we have been. The players who need to play more minutes, don’t play (granted... frank and bacon have been playing more). Yet, the players who we probably need to play more, especially MkG, we let rot. And now mkg is hurt again. I hate Borego. We need to do away with this “make the playoffs at all cost”. Screw all the fare weather fans.

#7 Buzzau Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:08 PM

Buzzau

Cardiac Kemba Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • Joined 04-November 15
  • LocationMelbourne, Aus
I know everyone likes to blame Cho for bad drafting but at some point our player development team has to take a fair share of the blame, including the coach.

Its like they try and suck all the confidence out of the guys we draft.

#8 cltblkhscoach Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:19 PM

cltblkhscoach

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,951 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06

I know everyone likes to blame Cho for bad drafting but at some point our player development team has to take a fair share of the blame, including the coach.

Its like they try and suck all the confidence out of the guys we draft.

Thats why Steve Clifford aint here no more. I want Borrego and company to get a full offseason before I can pass some serious judgement.

#9 Chef Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:22 PM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,229 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

Thats why Steve Clifford aint here no more. I want Borrego and company to get a full offseason before I can pass some serious judgement.

I was under the impression that Clifford was essentially asked to play monk and he was still salty that they undermined him with monk (and demands for time) over his choice Donavon Mitchell.

I guess we are saying the same thing though

#10 cltblkhscoach Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:29 PM

cltblkhscoach

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,951 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06

I was under the impression that Clifford was essentially asked to play monk and he was still salty that they undermined him with monk (and demands for time) over his choice Donavon Mitchell.

I guess we are saying the same thing though

Probably so. The only guy Cliff developed was Kemba, and the shooting coach got most of that credit. Everyone else pretty much stayed who they were or was just a bust.

#11 cltblkhscoach Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:30 PM

cltblkhscoach

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,951 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
Borrego had some insights on Miles development on a WFNZ interview this afternoon, wanting to develop him more into a playmaker with the ball in his hands, and thinks he will do a lot more of that next season in the offense.

#12 Mich_Mercer Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:34 PM

Mich_Mercer

Keep Monk and MKG

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,681 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC
We have the worst development team in league. None of our players really get better. I feel like we do have talent. We had never came closer to maximing it and now it’s getting to be too late. I actually thought Cho did a decent job. Just didn’t work out. Mitch hasn’t done a damn thing though. He’s done as much as I have sitting at home.

#13 cltblkhscoach Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:39 PM

cltblkhscoach

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,951 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06

We have the worst development team in league. None of our players really get better. I feel like we do have talent. We had never came closer to maximing it and now it’s getting to be too late. I actually thought Cho did a decent job. Just didn’t work out. Mitch hasn’t done a damn thing though. He’s done as much as I have sitting at home.

He hasnt had much of a chance man. I think they're committed to their young guys and future more than trying to make the playoffs this season though. Thats why we didnt make any moves at the deadline.

Next season could be ugly in terms of wins but I think all these young guys will be in the rotation to start out. They HAVE to see how they handle consistent minutes by the deadline. With multiple expirings next year I expect them to be very active all season.

#14 Mich_Mercer Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:40 PM

Mich_Mercer

Keep Monk and MKG

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,681 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC
I don’t mind having a really rough year, as long as we are developing our young guys and getting good draft picks. I still don’t trust this team to not resign Kemba and Lamb... so I’m thinking it’ll be more of the same.

#15 QC Thundercats Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:45 PM

QC Thundercats

Quality Control Thundercats

• Honorary Beagle

• 2,204 posts
  • Joined 01-June 12

Season's a wrap.  The only team we can count on beating is the Wiz.  Marvin's last 4 games, 5-29 FG for 17%, 2-15 from 3 for 13%, 4 points and 5 rebounds in 30 minutes per game.  

I'm glad he has flashbacks every 12 games, but his legs are shot, should only get 10-12 minutes per game.  4 points a game and Lance shooting numbers from a starter getting 30 minutes is a waste of a spot, waste of our young guy's development time, waste of our entertainment time.  I love Marv's intangibles, but make him the bench guru, a seat filler.  We're not going to the playoffs with him, or without him.

Come on Borrego...

RvOwiT8.gif

#16 cltblkhscoach Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:51 PM

cltblkhscoach

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,951 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06

Season's a wrap. The only team we can count on beating is the Wiz. Marvin's last 4 games, 5-29 FG for 17%, 2-15 from 3 for 13%, 4 points and 5 rebounds in 30 minutes per game.

I'm glad he has flashbacks every 12 games, but his legs are shot, should only get 10-12 minutes per game. 4 points a game and Lance shooting numbers from a starter getting 30 minutes is a waste of a spot, waste of our young guy's development time, waste of our entertainment time. I love Marv's intangibles, but make him the bench guru, a seat filler. We're not going to the playoffs with him, or without him.

Come on Borrego...

RvOwiT8.gif

I need a graphics tutorial from you...lol

#17 Adam42R Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:30 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,609 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

This seems a bit myopic. Monk hasn't gotten better and he's one many put stock into.  But hard to argue that Miles hasn't gotten better.  And Bacon has definitely gotten loads better.  And Lamb has had his best year and likely best growth from start to end of a year in his career.  If anything, I think it's easy to pin a lack of development on Clifford and the proof isn't in whom he trained up, but who he effectively said couldn't be schooled up that did get better.  You look at Biz before he left here and what he looks like coming back and that's two completely different guys.  He's downright competent.  That is something Clifford never got him to.  But that doesn't mean that Borrego isn't building guys up.  Even Frank has a curve to him - he's honestly playing ball right now at a level I think most of us would have been elated with if he hit this in his second year, not winding down on his fourth.  But I am not so sure that's on Frank... or Biz, or Bacon, or Lamb (or CZ and MKG hitting 3s now).  I think we were downright horrible at developing anyone not named Kemba pre-JB.

So in effect, I tend to agree with you on drafting talent.  Cho didn't do nearly as badly as he gets discredited for regarding drafts.

Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#18 Mich_Mercer Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:03 AM

Mich_Mercer

Keep Monk and MKG

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,681 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC
I kind of thought Biz got better as soon as he left and went to Toronto. He grew a lot on other teams before he got back here. Miles has got better but I actually did like what I saw if Bacon last year. And he’s got better bc he’s been playing in the G league. Why isn’t Monk doing at least that, if he isn’t going to play. At least build his confidence up. I’m just really hating this team right now.

#19 Splitta Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:56 AM

Splitta

Ben "Humble Yoursefl" Gordon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Joined 28-December 18

It is true that Hornets have not given the young players enough playing time to develop in most cases the last couple of years.  Unfortunately they have trusted the overpaid veterans to take them to an 8th seed which has not worked.  However, to be honest, Monk has been given numerous opportunities but has performed poorly except for a few rare moments.  How do you play a guy major minutes if he shoots poorly, turns the ball over and plays little or no defense?  IMO most of the playing problems with Monk is Monk.  He just does not seem to take the game seriously yet or may just have a confidence issue.  Hopefully the light will come on for him sooner rather than later. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users