#1 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:36 AM

GeraldWallaceMVP

Dwight's Only Fan

• 1000+ posts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC

What do you guys think the Hornets should do in the offseason?

In my opinion, we should hunt around the league for one last desperate trade attempt to try and find a second star, if we can't then let Kemba walk

If we can't then just let him walk. We should really look at the Nets rebuilding model tbh, get a lot of reclamation projects, high potential guys. I think Emmanuel Mudiay could be a great signing for us. 

#2 Bogg Posted 22 March 2019 - 11:36 AM

Bogg

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,309 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
You can't ever just let a guy like Kemba walk. You can Blake Griffin him, where you re-signing him and then flip him for assets within a year, but you don't ever just look at an all-star and go "well, it's been fun" when you're in no position to replace him.

#3 kiery101 Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:06 PM

kiery101

Crash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Joined 21-June 15
  • LocationRegensburg, Germany

You can't ever just let a guy like Kemba walk. You can Blake Griffin him, where you re-signing him and then flip him for assets within a year, but you don't ever just look at an all-star and go "well, it's been fun" when you're in no position to replace him.

Absolutely correct!

#4 Splitta Posted 22 March 2019 - 02:17 PM

Splitta

Ben "Humble Yoursefl" Gordon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Joined 28-December 18

Absolutely correct!

If you sign Kemba to the max and his game drops off next year and is not tradeable due to the contract, you might just have another "Batum".  Not saying that will happen but there is a risk signing Kemba to the max and then trying to trade him the following year.  Just sayin..

#5 Mich_Mercer Posted 22 March 2019 - 03:45 PM

Mich_Mercer

Keep Monk and MKG

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,638 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC
We’re winning the lottery and pairing Kemba with Zion. Problem solved. :)

#6 Chef Posted 22 March 2019 - 04:06 PM

Chef

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,144 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

We’re winning the lottery and pairing Kemba with Zion. Problem solved. :)

I am very interested in ja

#7 Founding Hornet Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:00 PM

Founding Hornet

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,113 posts
  • Joined 11-July 14

I am very interested in ja

So is front office if that tells you anything

#8 Mich_Mercer Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:43 PM

Mich_Mercer

Keep Monk and MKG

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,638 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC
I’d have to change my pants if we landed Ja. Say... if we do, would we let Kemba walk, or pair him with Kemba. Maybe play Kemba at the 2 and Ja at PG. I definitely think Ja has way more upside than Kemba. If I had to chose, Ja all the way.

#9 Chef Posted 23 March 2019 - 06:44 AM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,144 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

So is front office if that tells you anything

They should but the bigger question is how do they propose getting him?

#10 Adam42R Posted 23 March 2019 - 10:03 AM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,509 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

I’d have to change my pants if we landed Ja. Say... if we do, would we let Kemba walk, or pair him with Kemba. Maybe play Kemba at the 2 and Ja at PG. I definitely think Ja has way more upside than Kemba. If I had to chose, Ja all the way.

We need to move away from the narrative of "letting Kemba walk."  If he leaves, if he stays, it's on him at this point, we "let Kemba choose."  

Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#11 Icky Thump Posted 23 March 2019 - 01:25 PM

Icky Thump

Sean May... Krispy-Kreme MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Joined 28-June 07

We need to move away from the narrative of "letting Kemba walk."  If he leaves, if he stays, it's on him at this point, we "let Kemba choose."  

Kemba: "They know what they got to do...." Unless that's just pay him a max deal and keep this ragtag group together then it doesn't seem like we did much at this point.

Sounds like he kinda put choice in our hands. Either way WE had a choice to do something instead of "letting Kemba walk" which is still a narrative whether its his choice or ours. We could have got something for him.

T73It2l.gifTime to nut up or shut up!

#12 Adam42R Posted 23 March 2019 - 02:54 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,509 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
We have no idea what they know what they need to do means so we can stop trying to guess. We gave him a choice, because we didn't trade him for Collin Sexton or similar assets.
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#13 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 23 March 2019 - 10:13 PM

GeraldWallaceMVP

Dwight's Only Fan

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,050 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC

DuyUupTWkAEXpPN.jpg

He already was a Hornet

#14 Proudiddy Posted 24 March 2019 - 04:21 PM

Proudiddy

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,801 posts
  • Joined 04-July 07
I've already stated elsewhere, if I had the #1 pick, I would take Ja over Zion. Might sound crazy, but it's a guard centric game now. Ja will impact games more than Zion.

Also, I've started to come around to the idea that we have to reward Kemba for all he's done here and his loyalty with a max contract... then trade him to his preferred destination. I love Kemba. Been a Kemba fan since UCONN and he has become everything I believed and hoped he would be when we drafted him. IMO, he's been the best PG in the East, and has been for many years... he just hadn't had help. But, that's the idea behind this move. I have heard Kemba say he wanted to ride through the storm and be here on the other side when we become a winner... but, we should send him to a team in a better position to contend now, get assets, and use those to try to move up to get either Ja or Coby White.

There's been 3 different times in recent memory where I can remember saying we needed to trade whatever we needed to in order to move up and take a guy I perceived to be a franchise-changer - Chris Paul, Steph Curry, and Luka Doncic.

I feel that way now with Ja and Coby. Get the assets and make the trade... whatever it requires.

#15 DeadlySwarm Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:25 PM

DeadlySwarm

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Joined 10-April 16

You make a good point Bogg. I have jumped the gun and thought letting Kemba walk for nothing was the way to go but indeed is not a good idea. We shall see what we are able to do. 

#16 DeadlySwarm Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:30 PM

DeadlySwarm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Joined 10-April 16

If you sign Kemba to the max and his game drops off next year and is not tradeable due to the contract, you might just have another "Batum".  Not saying that will happen but there is a risk signing Kemba to the max and then trying to trade him the following year.  Just sayin..

I think there is still some game left in Kemba's tank and should he get the Max he will put in the effort to live up to his contract. I don't think Batum gives a squat. He is very happy to not give a toot and be wealthy regardless.

#17 JGib23 Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:42 PM

JGib23

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,631 posts
  • Joined 27-October 08
Priority 1 resign Kemba
Priority 2 find a way to resign Lamb (by trading away some salary, or use the stretch provision)
Priority 3 make Frank the qualifying offer
Priority 4 nail the draft

#18 WIAN Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:49 PM

WIAN

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,216 posts
  • Joined 01-November 08

Priority 1 resign Kemba
Priority 2 find a way to resign Lamb (by trading away some salary, or use the stretch provision)
Priority 3 make Frank the qualifying offer
Priority 4 nail the draft

I'm good on Frank. The other end of the floor will only get worse. This late run has been nice but I'm tired of seeing smart coaches abuse him in the P&R. Everything else we're in agreement on.

#19 JGib23 Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:07 PM

JGib23

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,631 posts
  • Joined 27-October 08

I'm good on Frank. The other end of the floor will only get worse. This late run has been nice but I'm tired of seeing smart coaches abuse him in the P&R. Everything else we're in agreement on.

I think for $5M you have to atleast make the offer. If someone offers a bigger contract you let him walk but, for $5M we need to keep him around. Hopefully in his same role as a backup PF behind a new starter.

#20 JGib23 Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:08 PM

JGib23

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,631 posts
  • Joined 27-October 08
Never mind... Whiteside is also expiring

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users