271 replies to this topic

#261 dnbman Posted 12 May 2019 - 12:30 PM

dnbman

Existential Crisis Manager

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,162 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

So let me get this clear you guys are fine with paying the same amount of money for just Kemba a but "omg Kemba and Beal its tooo much money"

It wouldn't be a bad thing to have those guys on big contracts as long as you have a plan to fill out the rest of the team. The problem is that you have Beal for two more years and little options to add anything to get him to stay. So, if he leaves in two years, and you've traded all of your youth, at best you're looking at Kemba and cap space. 

I don't mind Beal and his contract. I mind Beal at the cost. 

And I'm not one of those people that says we can't draft or develop youth. Like most teams, I think we've been hit or miss. Unfortunately, we've often missed when it mattered most.

Last Member: Nick Batum Fan Club

Professional Self-Loather

#262 Adam42R Posted 12 May 2019 - 03:09 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,350 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#263 Chef Posted 12 May 2019 - 03:22 PM

Chef

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,964 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

Someone should tell him about the team going for a three peat who is but far the heavy favourites that have 3 lottery picks and at least 2 on the bench or injured

#264 Swedd523 Posted 12 May 2019 - 04:52 PM

Swedd523

• Moderators

• 9,501 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

2018 NBA Champions:  multiple lottery picks

2017 NBA Champions:  multiple lottery picks

2016 NBA Champions:  multiple lottery picks

2015 NBA Champions:  multiple lottery picks

2014 NBA Champions:  multiple lottery picks

2013 NBA Champions:  multiple lottery picks

I think you get the point

#265 cltblkhscoach Posted 12 May 2019 - 06:39 PM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,866 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
Argument either way is pointless because everyone measures success differently

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#266 Adam42R Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:54 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,350 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

Someone should tell him about the team going for a three peat who is but far the heavy favourites that have 3 lottery picks and at least 2 on the bench or injured

One could get a laugh that a team with the most lotto picks of the last decade just got bounced in the second round of the playoffs by a team with none. I know I am. But it's mostly that I loathe the notion that team building is some easy process of lose, cash out in the lotto, repeat until you have a championship contender.
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#267 buckets Posted 12 May 2019 - 11:14 PM

buckets

• Honorary Beagle

• 5,091 posts
  • Joined 27-June 15
Weird accounting of lottery picks. Lopez was a Free Agent who cares where BKN drafted him. Jabari and Thon *were* Milwaukee lottery picks but apparently the Bucks are credited for scrubbing their existence.
#Chodidthemath

#268 Swedd523 Posted 12 May 2019 - 11:42 PM

Swedd523

• Moderators

• 9,501 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

Weird accounting of lottery picks. Lopez was a Free Agent who cares where BKN drafted him. Jabari and Thon *were* Milwaukee lottery picks but apparently the Bucks are credited for scrubbing their existence.

"narrative"

#269 Chef Posted 13 May 2019 - 04:46 AM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,964 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

and the entire post goes up in smoke if giannis and kawahi were taken 1 pick before they were

#270 Chef Posted 13 May 2019 - 05:25 AM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,964 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

One could get a laugh that a team with the most lotto picks of the last decade just got bounced in the second round of the playoffs by a team with none. I know I am. But it's mostly that I loathe the notion that team building is some easy process of lose, cash out in the lotto, repeat until you have a championship contender.

it is a way to do it but that the narrative has become so reductive that it is the only way is just as erroneous and disingenuous as the twitter post itself.

philly's problems are three fold: coaching, the FO making bad team building trades in terms of obvious fit and their "star" piece being suspect both character and basketball fit wise. 

#271 Adam42R Posted 13 May 2019 - 05:49 AM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,350 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

it is a way to do it but that the narrative has become so reductive that it is the only way is just as erroneous and disingenuous as the twitter post itself.

I am just there for the laugh. I don't argue there are merits to shutting down any team mid season due to misfortune and seeing if your can win a Tim Duncan prize. But that it's such a stupid repeated only-path to success with its own hashtag has just worn me the absolute wrong way.

#272 dnbman Posted 13 May 2019 - 06:24 PM

dnbman

Existential Crisis Manager

• Moderators

• 6,162 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

I am just there for the laugh. I don't argue there are merits to shutting down any team mid season due to misfortune and seeing if your can win a Tim Duncan prize. But that it's such a stupid repeated only-path to success with its own hashtag has just worn me the absolute wrong way.

Yeah. There's no surefire realistic strategy to success. Obviously, the better you are at player research and development and establishing a successful team culture, it gets easier. But aside from that, there are just too many factors. 

It's just frustrating to be okay but not great, so the typical response is to burn it down and start over.

Last Member: Nick Batum Fan Club

Professional Self-Loather

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users