#1 Proudiddy Posted 29 March 2019 - 09:19 PM

Proudiddy

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • Joined 04-July 07
https://www.charlott...e228579739.html

Good to hear.  But, man...  what a bitter pill to swallow in those investments.  Batum has become a modern-day Jerome James.

#2 Mich_Mercer Posted 29 March 2019 - 09:29 PM

Mich_Mercer

Keep Monk and MKG

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,633 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC
Kind of a bummer on how he feels about MKG. I still feel like he’s our best defender and guy who does the little things. I still feel like he should have a roll on this team, if he’d ever give him more minutes.

#3 Chef Posted 29 March 2019 - 09:29 PM

Chef

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,119 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

Kind of a bummer on how he feels about MKG. I still feel like he’s our best defender and guy who does the little things. I still feel like he should have a roll on this team, if he’d ever give him more minutes.

Yes, I feel a good coach finds a way to use him

#4 Proudiddy Posted 29 March 2019 - 09:34 PM

Proudiddy

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,801 posts
  • Joined 04-July 07

As a guy who loathed the MKG pick, I have grown to love what I know of him as a person. If we could keep him on the bench forever, that would be awesome... but, I just don't know how well he can fit into meaningful minutes in today's NBA on a playoff team with his offense as limited as it is. I used to think if they just let him loose and run as a kind of point-forward in an uptempo style, letting him push the ball in transition, that maybe we could maximize his potential offensively... but, I think he is what he is at this point.

Regardless, I'd take MKG 100 out of 100 times even at his current salary before I would ever sign up for Batum at his.

#5 Adam42R Posted 29 March 2019 - 09:35 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,485 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
Would assume he doesn't see enough consistency from Mike. And realistically that is his likely gripe with Nic. And when we think back to each Monk, Frank and Willy benching earlier in the year, that's also applicable. So maybe we're finally building up our dossier on JB's decision tree.
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#6 Proudiddy Posted 29 March 2019 - 09:42 PM

Proudiddy

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,801 posts
  • Joined 04-July 07

Would assume he doesn't see enough consistency from Mike. And realistically that is his likely gripe with Nic. And when we think back to each Monk, Frank and Willy benching earlier in the year, that's also applicable. So maybe we're finally building up our dossier on JB's decision tree.

Just to juxtapose my previous post about MKG... as a guy who loved the Monk pick and was excited about his potential from jumpstreet... that well has almost run dry. I honestly can't even argue for him getting more minutes now. When Clifford was slighting him, we hadn't seen enough to know. Then, when he played last year, he looked like he could be special. Then JB gave him his chance again this year and as you said, the consistency just isn't there. And beyond consistency, he just makes a lot of boneheaded decisions, and for a guy who was known as a streaky, but dangerous shooter, if he isn't hitting shots but making mistake after mistake, you can't be out there.

I thought he could be a 25 ppg scorer coming in, but these first two years, he has reminded me a lot more of a poor man's JR Smith. But, as I've heard someone else say elsewhere, I believe McCollum didnt look like a player until his 3rd year... so maybe there is still hope?

#7 cltblkhscoach Posted 29 March 2019 - 09:44 PM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,923 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06

As a guy who loathed the MKG pick, I have grown to love what I know of him as a person. If we could keep him on the bench forever, that would be awesome... but, I just don't know how well he can fit into meaningful minutes in today's NBA on a playoff team with his offense as limited as it is. I used to think if they just let him loose and run as a kind of point-forward in an uptempo style, letting him push the ball in transition, that maybe we could maximize his potential offensively... but, I think he is what he is at this point.

Regardless, I'd take MKG 100 out of 100 times even at his current salary before I would ever sign up for Batum at his.

He's best on a 2nd unit that needs a glue guy with no pressure to score. His game would have been good for the old NBA but this pace and space stuff its hard to fit him for consistent minutes.

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#8 JGib23 Posted 29 March 2019 - 09:50 PM

JGib23

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,626 posts
  • Joined 27-October 08
I wonder if we discuss with him that his role will be greatly diminished next year too and he opts out?

#9 Adam42R Posted 29 March 2019 - 09:58 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,485 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

I wonder if we discuss with him that his role will be greatly diminished next year too and he opts out?

I was wondering the same. And could a similar conversation happen with Marvin and Biz.
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#10 Proudiddy Posted 29 March 2019 - 10:01 PM

Proudiddy

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,801 posts
  • Joined 04-July 07

Batum or MKG?

In either case, I don't see them passing up that money, bc they definitely won't be getting it again.

#11 Adam42R Posted 29 March 2019 - 10:03 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,485 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

Batum or MKG?

In either case, I don't see them passing up that money, bc they definitely won't be getting it again.

Player option for next year doesn't apply to Nic.

#12 nowhere fast Posted 29 March 2019 - 10:53 PM

nowhere fast

Crash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Joined 16-May 17

Scratching my head about MKG, but hoping this playing the youngsters thing is what JB's really about. Getting the hint what came before wasn't entirely his call to make.

#13 Proudiddy Posted 29 March 2019 - 11:08 PM

Proudiddy

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,801 posts
  • Joined 04-July 07

Player option for next year doesn't apply to Nic.

Was too lazy too look, but yeah, I still don't see him opting out of that money.

#14 Bogg Posted 02 April 2019 - 09:58 AM

Bogg

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,309 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12

Can't imagine MKG passes on that money. Without a three-point shot, and without the ability to be the primary facilitator on offense (this was key to Marcus Smart's versatility prior to this year's shooting improvement) he's not coming anywhere close to that sort of contract again. If anything, in the event that Kemba walks, I could see Charlotte attempt to package some of their expiring contracts to eat bad money for other teams in exchange for picks. 

#15 cltblkhscoach Posted 21 April 2019 - 09:50 AM

cltblkhscoach

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,923 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
Reading Rick's player breakdown. If you were in the shoes of Borrego, what the hell do you do with Nic Batum?

To me, if Parker is not back, then he fits as a 2nd unit facilitator to help Graham come along as the backup point guard. Graham has to become a better shooter though for that to work the next two years.

Of course if Kemba leaves he can start and help a young PG along as he develops as well. But Borrego I guess will have some time to get creative with Nic moving the ball in his offense.

Rick suggests a buyout for MKG could come at some point next season, which is interesting and I guess could make some sense if MKG doesnt care about money and only cares about being happy.

#16 Adam42R Posted 21 April 2019 - 10:11 AM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,485 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

Reading Rick's player breakdown. If you were in the shoes of Borrego, what the hell do you do with Nic Batum?

To me, if Parker is not back, then he fits as a 2nd unit facilitator to help Graham come along as the backup point guard. Graham has to become a better shooter though for that to work the next two years.

Of course if Kemba leaves he can start and help a young PG along as he develops as well. But Borrego I guess will have some time to get creative with Nic moving the ball in his offense.

Rick suggests a buyout for MKG could come at some point next season, which is interesting and I guess could make some sense if MKG doesnt care about money and only cares about being happy.

I didn't read the article as I am on my one-man boycott of the CO so not knowing what he said there, I would imagine that "if" ORL has cap space and bench space, that MKG would welcome a reunion with Clifford.  At least publicly, I don't know that MKG ever put a foot wrong for Clif and I could imagine that even at a cheaper deal per year, if it totaled in sum something more than his current contract, that's a win-win.  E.g. a 3 year 21m deal to play for Clif would seem to me something both Clif and Mike would like. And that Mike has tuned his 3 point shot up significantly in the past year, even more reason as I don't think they have hella depth at SF.

That's all said with no understanding of what happiness represents for Mike but just trying to imagine a scenario where he doesn't pick up his last year option here.

#17 cltblkhscoach Posted 21 April 2019 - 10:47 AM

cltblkhscoach

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,923 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
Happiness I think means playing time for him, and Im sure Cliff would welcome him with open arms down there. Their roster needs some depth, I dont know if he starts anywhere anymore, but I could see him in their rotation.

I think he picks up the option, but if he doesnt end up being in the rotation here he would ask for the buyout so he could play somewhere consistently. And I could see him giving up a good bit of money to do so.

#18 Mustachio Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:29 AM

Mustachio

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,218 posts
  • Joined 11-July 06

I didn't read the article as I am on my one-man boycott of the CO so not knowing what he said there.

I stand in solidarity.
Into the crevasse!

"Climb down Lemon, Climb down"Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users