•  
Photo

With the 12th pick, the Charlotte Hornets select.....

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#1 JGib23 Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:27 AM

JGib23

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts
  • Joined 27-October 08

Seasons is over, let's talk draft.

We need an athletic, physical 5.

Give me Bruno Fernando at 12

#2 Chef Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:58 AM

Chef

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,119 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

Seasons is over, let's talk draft.

We need an athletic, physical 5.

Give me Bruno Fernando at 12

giphy.gif

#3 JGib23 Posted 01 April 2019 - 10:03 AM

JGib23

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,626 posts
  • Joined 27-October 08

I'm trying to reverse jinx... :)

Honestly, there isn't a lot I like at 12 Lottery Gods please be kind.

#4 Adam42R Posted 01 April 2019 - 10:59 AM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,485 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
I am more interested right now in whom we prioritize to keep. And more critically, whom we do manage to keep. And do we ever convey to the three guys with player options our interest in giving them any appreciable pt?
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#5 Proudiddy Posted 01 April 2019 - 11:36 AM

Proudiddy

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,801 posts
  • Joined 04-July 07
I just feel like we're stuck with the horrible investment that we have, so our best bet is to Retain Kemba at a sub-max and hit on whatever draft pick we get while hoping Miles, Bacon, Graham, and hopefully Monk continue to develop.

#6 cltblkhscoach Posted 01 April 2019 - 11:59 AM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,923 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06

I just feel like we're stuck with the horrible investment that we have, so our best bet is to Retain Kemba at a sub-max and hit on whatever draft pick we get while hoping Miles, Bacon, Graham, and hopefully Monk continue to develop.

Gotta ride the bad contracts out. Borrego has a tough job to manage these overpaid bums personalities

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#7 TheDorkLord Posted 01 April 2019 - 12:02 PM

TheDorkLord

Primoz "Gangsta" Brezec

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Joined 17-September 09
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

We are in NBA purgatory.  I don't see anything else we can do that won't make it worse for us in the long term than just riding these out...  what is our draft range at this point?

#8 JGib23 Posted 01 April 2019 - 01:35 PM

JGib23

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,626 posts
  • Joined 27-October 08

4 options.

1. Ride it out (MKG, Marvin, and Biz all expire after next season = $45 Million). Sucks for next season but, we escape cap Hell by next summer and even more so the season following when Batum and Cody both expire.

2. Use the stretch provision on one or more players, which would lower our expenses this year but, would use up $15M in cap space for the next 2 season if all 3 were stretched). The stretch provision basically means you can waive a player and spread out the remaining salary over double the remaining years on their contract +1. Meaning a player with a single year on their contract could be waived and the money would be spread over 3 seasons for Salary Cap purposes.

3. Use draft picks to unload bad contracts.

4. Combo of all the above. Ride it our with MKG, Stretch Biz, and pay someone a few second round picks or top 20 protected first to absorb Marvin.

Any other options people see?

#9 cltblkhscoach Posted 01 April 2019 - 01:58 PM

cltblkhscoach

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,923 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06

Even if the stretch were a real possibility, Batum would be the only one I'd consider. None of those other guys are worth it when they expire next year anyways. Cody has value, might as well just trade him for something at this point because I don't think we can depend on him long term in all honesty. 

The only draft picks I'd use to pair with someone would be with Batum, and even then we're probably inheriting someone else's more talented and probably just as expensive problem. Only thing that could be a plus is that they could be an expiring to go along with Biz, Marvin, and MKG. That could get us to the cap clearing a year earlier if we can get Cody out of here along with them. That's where the trade exception could prove valuable. Something like Batum and a 2021 1st for talented, high-priced expirings next season....Serge Ibaka and Fred Vanvleet from Toronto works if we lose Kemba and Toronto thinks they'll lose Kawhi in free agency, but I'm just spitballing. 

Toronto is actually a good one to deal with, they have a TON of free agents coming up in 2020 so they will be someone to watch for sure. Sacramento is another one, we tried to get Barnes from Dallas at the deadline, and his salary fits in that range where we could use the exception if they pair him with someone else. 

Tristan Thompson/Jordan Clarkson combo works also, that could give us a tough big man and a potential Kemba fill in if he leaves.....but there's a few scenarios out there to get rid of Batum and get one or two more expirings for giving up a future first rounder. 

#10 Chef Posted 01 April 2019 - 02:02 PM

Chef

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,119 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

4 options.

1. Ride it out (MKG, Marvin, and Biz all expire after next season = $45 Million). Sucks for next season but, we escape cap Hell by next summer and even more so the season following when Batum and Cody both expire.

2. Use the stretch provision on one or more players, which would lower our expenses this year but, would use up $15M in cap space for the next 2 season if all 3 were stretched). The stretch provision basically means you can waive a player and spread out the remaining salary over double the remaining years on their contract +1. Meaning a player with a single year on their contract could be waived and the money would be spread over 3 seasons for Salary Cap purposes.

3. Use draft picks to unload bad contracts.

4. Combo of all the above. Ride it our with MKG, Stretch Biz, and pay someone a few second round picks or top 20 protected first to absorb Marvin.

Any other options people see?

my question would be why would stretch anyone? it opens nominal cap space and i really don't think any difference making FA's would sign, with or without kemba. i can just see my annoyance at stretching people to overpay this year's jodi meeks.

#11 JGib23 Posted 01 April 2019 - 02:10 PM

JGib23

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,626 posts
  • Joined 27-October 08

Stretching Batum would use up 10.5 Million of cap space for the next 5 seasons... which means we save $15M in cap space next year and $17 the year after. I don't think Mike will write that guy a check for $52 Million to leave.

I think moving him would cost multiple lottery picks unless we take back a complete bum. One potential would be maybe Batum and Monk for Chandler Parsons. I wonder if Memphis would bite on this or if it would take more?

What may happen is Lamb walks because we can't afford to offer him a contract for tax purposes and we keep Batum as sixth man?

I would give Cody away for free if we could find someone to absorb his contract.

Marv and Biz have negative value and it would take assets to move them.

I believe we turn down the team option on Tony Parker at this ppoint and roll with Graham and vet min as our 3rd PG.

Also, I think we make Frank the Q.O.

#12 JGib23 Posted 01 April 2019 - 02:15 PM

JGib23

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,626 posts
  • Joined 27-October 08

I'm no cap expert so, if we have one on the board, please chime in here... Kemba's cap hold should be super low because I think it's only X% higher than this years cap number which is only $12M.

What is the maximum cap space we could create if we stretched Biz, Marv, and MKG, then turned down the option on Tony and didn't make the Q.O to Frank?

#13 JGib23 Posted 01 April 2019 - 02:34 PM

JGib23

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,626 posts
  • Joined 27-October 08

Okay.

I did some research.

Kemba's cap hold for this offseason is only $18M. So we make all movements and then resign him last.Problem with that scenario is if he doesn't like the moves he can walk... Might be best to get his signature ASAP.

Here is what I see:

2019/20 Cap = 109M

Batum = 25.57

Kemba Cap Hold = 18.0

Cody Zeller = 14.47

Biz (Stretched) = 5.67

Marvin (Stretched) = 5.0

MKG (Stretched) = 4.33

Malik Monk = 4.03

Miles Bridges = 3.76

2019 12th Pick = ~3.75

Dwayne Bacon = 1.62

Devonte Graham = 1.42

That leaves us 21.38 Million under the salary cap. Not enough to add a second Max contract but, could attract someone better than Lamb?

Would need many minimum contracts to fill in the remainder of the roster.

I don't envy Mitch's job this offseason... unless the pressure is so low that MJ just tells him he has 2 goals. Resign Kemba and nail the draft picks... anything beyond that is going to be really difficult.

#14 cltblkhscoach Posted 01 April 2019 - 02:37 PM

cltblkhscoach

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,923 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06

I don't think Batum is THAT bad of a bum that it takes multiple lottery picks to move him. He is still a decent player, you just have to acknowledge who he is and a 1st round pick from us is the value, not him really. And we take back additional salary anyways, so as long as it's someone motivated for a 1st round pick, it's possible. 

Kemba's cap hold is 18 million for next season per Spotrac. 

I don't see them stretching anyone, you could most likely see a buyout negotiated with Batum and then stretching that buyout cost out over 5 years possibly. That might be the best bet to keep costs in a relatively decent place if they don't want 2  big years of dead money sitting on the cap. 

#15 cltblkhscoach Posted 01 April 2019 - 02:46 PM

cltblkhscoach

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,923 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06

The stretch I'm not sure is good for multiple players either, because now after your stretch someone, you have to bring in someone else to replace them and pay them as well as paying multiple players dead money. 

I think he would do it for Batum, in the similar fashion he used the amnesty once for Tyrus Thomas. But Tyrus was a terrible cancer that no one wanted at all also. Batum hasn't been that type of guy ever, but he may want to go somewhere else and play also, so you may be able to negotiate that remaining money down a good bit and eat it for a few years. But I'd be surprised with that too, we have never been the type of franchise to ever pay people to go away besides Tyrus. 

Like Bogg said earlier, I think Gordon Hayward is someone to watch this offseason from the Celtics. That trade exception fits pretty good into what he's being paid and sending Batum out of here. I would not mind that reclamation project and I doubt we would need to give up much else along with Batum to get him here, as long as Ainge still wants to deal with us. Lol

#16 JGib23 Posted 01 April 2019 - 02:53 PM

JGib23

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,626 posts
  • Joined 27-October 08

Thing is, I'm content with going into next year with Kemba, Bacon, and Miles as our 1-3.  Where our roster is the most lacking in my opinion is at the 4 & the 5. I don't want to go into next season with anyone currently on our roster starting at either of those positions. (knowing most likely it will be Marv and Cody again)

#17 Keetch Posted 01 April 2019 - 05:32 PM

Keetch

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,003 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06
I made a list. This is it.

PJ Washington
Brandon Clarke
Rui Hachimura
Chuma Okeke
Bruno Fernando
Jaxon Hayes

These are the bigs I like that may be available where we’ll be picking. I really don’t know which one I like best. Maybe Okeke, but of course he’s injured pretty bad. I’d really prefer a PF for now over a C. I could see running with what we have now at the 5; but man oh man do we need a 4 with some size and skills. Someone preferably at least 6-9. But that’s only Hayes and Bruno; who are both 5’s. Need to see combine info on height and wingspans.
Rollin' in Doh

#18 Buzzau Posted 01 April 2019 - 06:07 PM

Buzzau

Cardiac Kemba Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Joined 04-November 15
  • LocationMelbourne, Aus
Tall Whiteguy

#19 Adam42R Posted 01 April 2019 - 06:53 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,485 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
I don't think running Batum as a sixth man in place of an outgoing Lamb is that bad considering. Especially if wet have no really off retaining Lamb.

Regarding draft: I can't imagine we're going to prioritize a center-only prospect. Seems like the worst thing we're could do is get a one dimensional player regardless of position. And of we're don't get rid of half of our centers I hope we don't go that route.

I don't know squat about prospects but any chance DeAndre Hunter drops to us around 12ish?
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#20 Keetch Posted 01 April 2019 - 06:59 PM

Keetch

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,003 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06
I don’t think that’s likely.
Rollin' in Doh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users