•  
Photo

With the 12th pick, the Charlotte Hornets select.....

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#41 Swedd523 Posted 02 April 2019 - 02:15 PM

Swedd523

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,540 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

Our team goal at this point should be to lose the next three games and hope like hell Minnesota wins at least one game.   That would put is in our best possible draft position ( could have been as high as 8th, but in typical hornets fashion we had to go on a completely useless 4 game winning streak and lock ourselves in the 10-12 range)  

10th versus 11 is massive as it triples our chances at a top 4 pick.      Seriously... that winning streak was so freaking worthless and stupid its annoying.   These worthless moral victories are why we are consistently in mediocrity.    without that streak we'd be sitting at 31 wins and in the running for a 42% chance at a top pick in a top heavy draft.    UGGHGHGHGHHG

anyway.  locked into the Hornets typical spot at 10-13.   Bol Bol seems to be the only potential difference maker and also the biggest bust potential.   

I'd say we're stuck in mediocrity because we've massively overpaid non difference makers to long term contracts.

Doesn't really matter who we draft as soon as we lock up Kemba and Lamb long term and trot out the Kemba/Lamb/Batum/Marv/Cody/MKG rotation we've seen for the past few years.

Gonna take a lot more than a good draft pick to fix this mess

#42 Keetch Posted 02 April 2019 - 06:28 PM

Keetch

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,003 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06
Was thinking today about the likelihood that Kemba and Lamb sign elsewhere next year and how absolutely awful this team will be with Cap’n Nic our best player.

Then I remembered that the new draft lottery rules try to mitigate tanking (they don’t) while greatly diminishing the potential for the worst team (us) to get the first draft pick. That made me feel better (no it didn’t).
Rollin' in Doh

#43 Keetch Posted 02 April 2019 - 06:32 PM

Keetch

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,003 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06
Real bold to say go for BPA. If you’re picking 11th or 12th; who the F$:#*+]~k is that!!?
Rollin' in Doh

#44 Adam42R Posted 02 April 2019 - 06:36 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,485 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
I think BPA is bullshit. It's rarely something that is objectively best available outside of some AD, Zion, LBJ type pick.
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#45 Keetch Posted 02 April 2019 - 06:43 PM

Keetch

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,003 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06
Ask me next year this time who the BPA at the 12th pick is from this draft and I might be able to tell you. It’ll probably be Cam Johnson.
Rollin' in Doh

#46 Whiz Kid Posted 02 April 2019 - 07:23 PM

Whiz Kid

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Joined 11-April 12

Bol Bol

Cam Reddish

Naz Reid

Rui Hachimura

Darius Bazley

Sekou Doumbouya 

Those are the prospects I like for us in that order.

If we resign Kemba and don't think the draft is the best way for our team to compete we package the pick and a player to someone who selling, surely someone will be considering that I expect a lot of movement this offseason.

#47 GOBOBCATS24 Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:43 PM

GOBOBCATS24

Sean May... Krispy-Kreme MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Joined 11-December 08
BOL BOL BOL BOL BOL BOL BOL BOL BOL BOL. The man is too skilled, and if he had not gotten hurt would have been a guaranteed top 5 pick. Honestly he may still be a top 5 pick after draft workouts. Right now he is projected late lottery. I would love to get him.

#48 QC Thundercats Posted 02 April 2019 - 09:47 PM

QC Thundercats

Quality Control Thundercats

• Honorary Beagle

• 2,191 posts
  • Joined 01-June 12

In my 3 games I watched of him, I kinda liked PJ Washington. 6'8 athletic forward, has range to 3, can put it on the floor and get to the rim, strong.  Seems in the Tobias Harris mold.  Why can't we ever draft a Tobias Harris type, would be perfect for the team.

*checks notes...with the 19th pick in the 2011 draft, the Hornets select, Tobias Harris.

The karma gods just love messing with us.  Watch Kemba go to Utah next year to team with Donovan...who could've teamed up with him HERE!!!!.... god wheres my everclear when I need it on a tuesday....

#49 Whiz Kid Posted 02 April 2019 - 10:28 PM

Whiz Kid

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Joined 11-April 12

In my perfect world we draft Bol Bol this year, let Kemba walk, then draft Lamelo Ball next year lmao.

Lamelo Ball/Devontae Graham

Malik Monk/Dwayne Bacon

Miles Bridges

Frank Kaminsky

Bol Bol/Willy Hernangomez

A young team I'd pay to watch.

#50 Icky Thump Posted 02 April 2019 - 10:39 PM

Icky Thump

Sean May... Krispy-Kreme MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Joined 28-June 07

In my 3 games I watched of him, I kinda liked PJ Washington. 6'8 athletic forward, has range to 3, can put it on the floor and get to the rim, strong.  Seems in the Tobias Harris mold.  Why can't we ever draft a Tobias Harris type, would be perfect for the team.

*checks notes...with the 19th pick in the 2011 draft, the Hornets select, Tobias Harris.

The karma gods just love messing with us.  Watch Kemba go to Utah next year to team with Donovan...who could've teamed up with him HERE!!!!.... god wheres my everclear when I need it on a tuesday....

The Utah crowd was chanting "WE WANT KEMBA!" last night... :(

T73It2l.gifTime to nut up or shut up!

#51 cltblkhscoach Posted 02 April 2019 - 10:52 PM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,923 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
Who the hell wouldn't want him? Lol I think everyone in the league wants to pay him except us for whatever reason. Well, fans of us I should say.

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#52 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:41 AM

GeraldWallaceMVP

Dwight's Only Fan

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,046 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC

Okay.

I did some research.

Kemba's cap hold for this offseason is only $18M. So we make all movements and then resign him last.Problem with that scenario is if he doesn't like the moves he can walk... Might be best to get his signature ASAP.

Here is what I see:

2019/20 Cap = 109M

Batum = 25.57

Kemba Cap Hold = 18.0

Cody Zeller = 14.47

Biz (Stretched) = 5.67

Marvin (Stretched) = 5.0

MKG (Stretched) = 4.33

Malik Monk = 4.03

Miles Bridges = 3.76

2019 12th Pick = ~3.75

Dwayne Bacon = 1.62

Devonte Graham = 1.42

That leaves us 21.38 Million under the salary cap. Not enough to add a second Max contract but, could attract someone better than Lamb?

Would need many minimum contracts to fill in the remainder of the roster.

I don't envy Mitch's job this offseason... unless the pressure is so low that MJ just tells him he has 2 goals. Resign Kemba and nail the draft picks... anything beyond that is going to be really difficult.

I wonder if we could find a way to get Demarcus Cousins for that price, maybe 1 year 21 mil then tell him next year once some more contracts off the books max

#53 Mustachio Posted 03 April 2019 - 10:25 AM

Mustachio

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,218 posts
  • Joined 11-July 06

I'd say we're stuck in mediocrity because we've massively overpaid non difference makers to long term contracts.

Doesn't really matter who we draft as soon as we lock up Kemba and Lamb long term and trot out the Kemba/Lamb/Batum/Marv/Cody/MKG rotation we've seen for the past few years.

Gonna take a lot more than a good draft pick to fix this mess

Kemba... what a non-difference maker.   

Into the crevasse!

"Climb down Lemon, Climb down"Posted Image

#54 Swedd523 Posted 03 April 2019 - 11:30 AM

Swedd523

• Moderators

• 9,540 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

Kemba... what a non-difference maker.

You're purposely being disingenuous

#55 Mustachio Posted 03 April 2019 - 02:49 PM

Mustachio

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,218 posts
  • Joined 11-July 06

You're purposely being disingenuous

I mean I don't think I am.   Is the entire point of your post not "we shouldn't resign Kemba and Lamb"  

Into the crevasse!

#56 Chef Posted 03 April 2019 - 05:08 PM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,119 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

I mean I don't think I am. Is the entire point of your post not "we shouldn't resign Kemba and Lamb"

I took it as Marv, Batum, Cody and mkg. Then as soon as you resign lamb and kemba, you are locked in for years with only kemba being a difference maker.

#57 Swedd523 Posted 03 April 2019 - 06:32 PM

Swedd523

• Moderators

• 9,540 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

I took it as Marv, Batum, Cody and mkg. Then as soon as you resign lamb and kemba, you are locked in for years with only kemba being a difference maker.

This.

But it's easier to be a dick about it for the sake of being a dick.

Nobody thinks Kemba isn't a difference maker.  Nobody thinks he NEEDS to leave.  The FO has just put themselves in a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

The issue is the team is absolutely, 100% capped out.  Signing both of them to the contracts they'll require leads to exactly the situation you're willfully ignoring to acknowledge:  The exact same "core" that has been trotted out for the past few years.  Except it's another year older, another year worse, and another year more expensive.

Having Kemba doesn't matter at that point.  You still have Batum being a bum, Marv being old, Cody being hurt, MKG being a nonfactor, Lamb playing slightly above average, Biyombo being a nonfactor, etc.  That's 90% of your salary and you go absolutely nowhere.

At that point we might as well just write off next season as another Groundhog Day adventure.

The team needs dramatic, top to bottom, changes.

#58 jfoster Posted 03 April 2019 - 09:05 PM

jfoster

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,430 posts
  • Joined 25-April 14
  • LocationGreenville, South Carolina

This.

Nobody thinks Kemba isn't a difference maker. Nobody thinks he NEEDS to leave. The FO has just put themselves in a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

The issue is the team is absolutely, 100% capped out. Signing both of them to the contracts they'll require leads to exactly the situation you're willfully ignoring to acknowledge: The exact same "core" that has been trotted out for the past few years. Except it's another year older, another year worse, and another year more expensive.

Having Kemba doesn't matter at that point. You still have Batum being a bum, Marv being old, Cody being hurt, MKG being a nonfactor, Lamb playing slightly above average, Biyombo being a nonfactor, etc. That's 90% of your salary and you go absolutely nowhere.

At that point we might as well just write off next season as another Groundhog Day adventure.

THIS X100000000

#59 Mustachio Posted 04 April 2019 - 01:57 PM

Mustachio

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,218 posts
  • Joined 11-July 06

This.

Nobody thinks Kemba isn't a difference maker.  Nobody thinks he NEEDS to leave.  The FO has just put themselves in a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

The issue is the team is absolutely, 100% capped out.  Signing both of them to the contracts they'll require leads to exactly the situation you're willfully ignoring to acknowledge:  The exact same "core" that has been trotted out for the past few years.  Except it's another year older, another year worse, and another year more expensive.

Having Kemba doesn't matter at that point.  You still have Batum being a bum, Marv being old, Cody being hurt, MKG being a nonfactor, Lamb playing slightly above average, Biyombo being a nonfactor, etc.  That's 90% of your salary and you go absolutely nowhere.

I guess I just don't understand the point you're trying to make.    We all agree that Batum, MKG, Cody and Marv are dead weight for one more season.  You brought up Kemba as a continuation of those contracts and i think thats wrong.   

If Kemba is a difference maker, his contract has nothing to do with the other bums on the roster.   You sign him.    If he isn't... you don't.  

Next year is going to be a Groundhog Day adventure no matter what.   Letting Kemba walk doesn't help a damn thing.  Sign Kemba, deal with dead weight as you are able.   

Into the crevasse!

#60 Chef Posted 04 April 2019 - 02:11 PM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,119 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

I guess I just don't understand the point you're trying to make. We all agree that Batum, MKG, Cody and Marv are dead weight for one more season. You brought up Kemba as a continuation of those contracts and i think thats wrong.

If Kemba is a difference maker, his contract has nothing to do with the other bums on the roster. You sign him. If he isn't... you don't.

Next year is going to be a Groundhog Day adventure no matter what. Letting Kemba walk doesn't help a damn thing. Sign Kemba, deal with dead weight as you are able.

This a terrible situation. Charlotte may have to win the lottery to convince kemba to re-sign.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users