•  
Photo

With the 12th pick, the Charlotte Hornets select.....

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#121 GOBOBCATS24 Posted 10 April 2019 - 10:07 PM

GOBOBCATS24

Sean May... Krispy-Kreme MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Joined 11-December 08
If the Kings win we will be 13th. Still not good.

#122 QC Thundercats Posted 10 April 2019 - 10:10 PM

QC Thundercats

Quality Control Thundercats

• Honorary Beagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts
  • Joined 01-June 12

If the Kings win we will be 13th. Still not good.

Don't tied records for lottery purposes equal the same percentage? So we're tied with 12th best odds with the Heat, but if neither of us make the jump, then the tie breakers come into play.

#123 Proudiddy Posted 10 April 2019 - 10:14 PM

Proudiddy

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,801 posts
  • Joined 04-July 07
After the shit the Knicks pulled tonight, the NBA better give us their pick lol.

Never thought there would be a time where I would miss Stern as commissioner.

#124 JGib23 Posted 10 April 2019 - 10:15 PM

JGib23

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,626 posts
  • Joined 27-October 08
New rule. Generational Talent is awarded to team in that region if they miss the playoffs

#125 JGib23 Posted 10 April 2019 - 10:18 PM

JGib23

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,626 posts
  • Joined 27-October 08
Also we are tied with the Heat. I think they flip a coin to determine draft order.

If you recall the worst win in Franchise history was the first season as the Bobcats. It was the home finale against Detroit and they rested everyone because they had the top seed locked up... we(Bobcats) won that game, it moved us into a tie with NOLA, they won the coin toss for the higher pick, they take Chris Paul, we take Raymond Felton.

#126 Adam42R Posted 10 April 2019 - 10:39 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,485 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

If they ever want to rid teams completely of tanking, they need to adopt a draft mechanism that moves you based on performance + lack of high picks and start to work toward engineering better odds of parity vs better odds of randomness coupled with benefitting from losses.  E.g. you should benefit from attempting to make the playoffs vs. trying to make sure you are nowhere close.  You shouldn't benefit from trading first round picks in future drafts.  You should get compensated for losing free-agents/franchise players (akin to the compensatory picks in the NFL). 

So if you are a NOLA and lose AD through forced trade (not sure how much that's really in-line with a compensatory pick but roll with me), you get a point per year of service (8 points for AD?).  

You play like the Hornets, Heat and miss out on the playoffs in the last week of the season, you get points - do something like calculate the first team eliminated from playoff contention and they get one point, each successive team to be eliminated gets a point +1 (e.g. NYK get 1 point, MIA get 15, CHA gets 16)

For each year you don't trade a FRP you get a point +1 (so teams that trade FRPs like they are lollipops will forever stay around with 1 point, other teams that hold onto them can start to build up credit - maybe max it out at 5 or 8 points.

Lottery odds are still ping pong balls but you get one ball per point.  So you compete your ass off, lose FAs to bigger markets or shiny new cities and you covet your FR draft picks, you are likely to have a good ass chance of #1.... just not multiple years in a row.  You get first overall in year x, you cannot be better than 14 in year x+1, you are 2nd in year x, cannot pick better than 13 in year x+1 

Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#127 Chef Posted 11 April 2019 - 05:23 AM

Chef

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,119 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

If they ever want to rid teams completely of tanking, they need to adopt a draft mechanism that moves you based on performance + lack of high picks and start to work toward engineering better odds of parity vs better odds of randomness coupled with benefitting from losses.  E.g. you should benefit from attempting to make the playoffs vs. trying to make sure you are nowhere close.  You shouldn't benefit from trading first round picks in future drafts.  You should get compensated for losing free-agents/franchise players (akin to the compensatory picks in the NFL). 

So if you are a NOLA and lose AD through forced trade (not sure how much that's really in-line with a compensatory pick but roll with me), you get a point per year of service (8 points for AD?).  

You play like the Hornets, Heat and miss out on the playoffs in the last week of the season, you get points - do something like calculate the first team eliminated from playoff contention and they get one point, each successive team to be eliminated gets a point +1 (e.g. NYK get 1 point, MIA get 15, CHA gets 16)

For each year you don't trade a FRP you get a point +1 (so teams that trade FRPs like they are lollipops will forever stay around with 1 point, other teams that hold onto them can start to build up credit - maybe max it out at 5 or 8 points.

Lottery odds are still ping pong balls but you get one ball per point.  So you compete your ass off, lose FAs to bigger markets or shiny new cities and you covet your FR draft picks, you are likely to have a good ass chance of #1.... just not multiple years in a row.  You get first overall in year x, you cannot be better than 14 in year x+1, you are 2nd in year x, cannot pick better than 13 in year x+1 

i like the train of thought here.

in my spare 5 minutes, i love to hunt. hunting out west is very different than east coast hunting. big game tags in western states run on a points system. basically, there are many more folks wanting to hunt prized units in western states (think trophy elk, big horned sheep, etc) than there are animals. so, the tag/license system runs on a points system. you apply each year and with your application you are submitting one point (chance your name gets drawn out of the "bag"), however, if you don't draw, you keep that point. the next year, you get last year's point PLUS the current year's point and so and so on. there are more nuances etc but that is the gist.

so basically, you could still order the odds based on record like now. in that, in the best interest of the future nba, the worst teams would have a shot at getting the top picks. BUT, you could build in a points system like you suggest where past lottery draws account. example: if you have won the lottery or gotten a top 3 pick in the last x number of years you lose points, every year you don't win the lottery OR are ineligible for the lottery you gain a point (yes, allow non-lottery teams in). and some of the other ideas you have put forth.

being a gambler, i would also love to see you be able to not just trade 1st round picks but trade "points". so a team could assume another's lottery chances especially in "hot draft" years. it would also facilitate more trades especially around playoff teams. so for instance, nobody wanted to give up a first for frank this year, but a team like the bucks would definitely be interested in trading x number of accrued lottery points for frank.

#128 Mustachio Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:25 AM

Mustachio

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,218 posts
  • Joined 11-July 06
Or.... We could throw away the lottery system for good. Let the worst team get the first pick and let tanking be it's own punishment. Take all control out of the NBA hands.
Into the crevasse!

"Climb down Lemon, Climb down"Posted Image

#129 QC Thundercats Posted 11 April 2019 - 10:56 AM

QC Thundercats

Quality Control Thundercats

• Honorary Beagle

• 2,191 posts
  • Joined 01-June 12

So looking at the new lottery rules.  Now the top 4 picks are selected in the lottery.  Since we tied with Miami and Sac, all three of us have a 1% chance to get the top pick.  Since I'm used to my powerball odds being .00000000100399%, having a whole percent looks amazing.  And to jump into top 4 pick, we all have a 4.8% chance.

Tiebreaker drawing on Friday.  I think we should be rewarded by the karma gods to at least get the tiebreaker over the heat and kings.  But this should be the year we jump up.

#130 kiery101 Posted 11 April 2019 - 12:43 PM

kiery101

Crash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Joined 21-June 15
  • LocationRegensburg, Germany

Or.... We could throw away the lottery system for good. Let the worst team get the first pick and let tanking be it's own punishment. Take all control out of the NBA hands.

Just give every lottery team the same chance. One ball per team. You're not punished for trying to reach the playoffs and you no longer get rewarded for playing a season of crappy ball.

#131 Mich_Mercer Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:07 PM

Mich_Mercer

Keep Monk and MKG

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,633 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC
I just want to watch them select the pingpong balls live. I still have this feeling the Lakers will be picking 1st. I know they want Zion with Lebron so bad

#132 powellrmp Posted 12 April 2019 - 11:16 AM

powellrmp

Braindead Stupid 2020

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,406 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16

Trade the pick in order to get Batum out of town. I can't stand it anymore.

Yeah that's dumb and not going to happen, and he's better served as some kind of bench player blah blah blah. But my heart says yes to anything that can get Batum off this team.

#133 Mich_Mercer Posted 12 April 2019 - 05:19 PM

Mich_Mercer

Keep Monk and MKG

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,633 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC
I’m not sure what to do with Batum. We honestly need our draft pick, but I guess if we can get a decent player for Batum and the pick, I’d be fine with it. Let’s just use it for Bradley Beal and be done with it. Haha

#134 Keetch Posted 12 April 2019 - 06:22 PM

Keetch

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,003 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06
Wow it appears we actually won the tiebreaker and will pick 12th. Miami is 13th and Sacramento is 14th. Boston gets Sactowns pick I guess.

Pending lottery; but teams this low likely won’t move.
Rollin' in Doh

#135 dnbman Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:39 PM

dnbman

Existential Crisis Manager

• Moderators

• 6,191 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

i like the train of thought here.

in my spare 5 minutes, i love to hunt. hunting out west is very different than east coast hunting. big game tags in western states run on a points system. basically, there are many more folks wanting to hunt prized units in western states (think trophy elk, big horned sheep, etc) than there are animals. so, the tag/license system runs on a points system. you apply each year and with your application you are submitting one point (chance your name gets drawn out of the "bag"), however, if you don't draw, you keep that point. the next year, you get last year's point PLUS the current year's point and so and so on. there are more nuances etc but that is the gist.

so basically, you could still order the odds based on record like now. in that, in the best interest of the future nba, the worst teams would have a shot at getting the top picks. BUT, you could build in a points system like you suggest where past lottery draws account. example: if you have won the lottery or gotten a top 3 pick in the last x number of years you lose points, every year you don't win the lottery OR are ineligible for the lottery you gain a point (yes, allow non-lottery teams in). and some of the other ideas you have put forth.

being a gambler, i would also love to see you be able to not just trade 1st round picks but trade "points". so a team could assume another's lottery chances especially in "hot draft" years. it would also facilitate more trades especially around playoff teams. so for instance, nobody wanted to give up a first for frank this year, but a team like the bucks would definitely be interested in trading x number of accrued lottery points for frank.

I really like this. I'm for helping bad teams. This approach is reasonable and helps the middling teams that can't get over the hump. 

Last Member: Nick Batum Fan Club

Professional Self-Loather

#136 dnbman Posted 19 April 2019 - 04:54 PM

dnbman

Existential Crisis Manager

• Moderators

• 6,191 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

Since French players are so popular here: 

http://www.espn.com/...lares-nba-draft

Last Member: Nick Batum Fan Club

Professional Self-Loather

#137 Vanderbilt_Grad Posted 30 April 2019 - 11:26 AM

Vanderbilt_Grad

Primoz "The Slovenian Gangster" "Brezac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Joined 08-May 18
  • LocationCharlotte

I refuse to get excited about anyone this year, unless the team moves up into one of the top 3 slots.  Odds of the pick being traded just seem too high to me.

#138 Keetch Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:43 PM

Keetch

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,003 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06

Since French players are so popular here:

http://www.espn.com/...lares-nba-draft

If they pick that French guy I’m done, just done.
Rollin' in Doh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users