Hornets686

Jeff "Sure I'll Start" McInnis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationConnecticut

April 30th, 2019 at 2:09pm CST by Luke Adams

Veteran NBA shooting guard Gerald Henderson has ended his comeback effort and is officially calling it a career. He announced his retirement in an article at CloseUp360.com (written by Magdalena Munao), explaining that health issues are contributing in his large part to his decision to retire at age 31.

“This was not my original plan. My dad played in the NBA for 13 years. I thought that I would do that or more,” Henderson said. “But you find out in life that your plan is not the plan. For me, it’s all what God sets in your plan. So, I’m secure in that because at the end of the day, it’s already written.”

The 12th overall pick in the 2009 draft, Henderson spent the first six years of his career in Charlotte before playing one year for the Trail Blazers and one more year with the Sixers. He last played in the NBA in 2016/17, appearing in 72 games (41 starts) for Philadelphia.

As recently as the 2018 offseason, Henderson was attempting to make it back to the NBA after undergoing a third surgical procedure on his hip. According to Henderson, he was working out for teams in September 2018, but tore his Achilles tendon during a pickup game in Golden State.

“With a torn Achilles, I could have tried to come back and still play,” Henderson said. “But immediately, I was just was, like, ‘I’ve had enough,’ because the process of surgery, which a lot of athletes know, it’s painstaking.

“It takes time and you go through a lot of pain. You go through a lot of stress and mental pain and frustration—all that stuff. And I’ve been through a good amount of it with the amount of surgeries that I’ve had, especially coming back and the way that I did from the hip surgery. It was a big hit for me. So it’s not that I didn’t feel like I could come back, but it just wasn’t worth it to me.”

Over the course of his eight-year NBA career, Henderson averaged 11.2 PPG on .440/.327/.793 shooting in 535 regular season games. The former Duke standout also played in four postseason contests for Charlotte and was a key rotation player for the 2016 Blazers team that fell to the Warriors in the Western Conference Semifinals.

Henderson joined the Hornets’ broadcast team at FOX Sports Southeast in January for the second half of the 2018/19 season.

#2 Veteran_Picksetter Posted 08 May 2019 - 06:28 PM

Veteran_Picksetter

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • Joined 30-May 10
Thanks for posting this. As I've written before, I have an appreciation for Henderson. After many Bobcat draft mistakes, he was pretty solid for his draft position. Stuck around long enough for both Bobcat playoff seasons, AND their disastrous worst-NBA-record-ever season as well. Played through four different coaches and the Hornets name change. Never developed elite offensive skills, but he was a fun athlete. I get nostalgic for his era here.

#3 Adam42R Posted 08 May 2019 - 07:54 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,968 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
I can't help but think how much his back issues limited his long term progress in the league. Seemed like he was our lock down defender for such a short term but he was good at it in that term. End of one year he's on D Rose like a cheap suit down the stretch, next year he's got some giant wrap around his mid section everywhere he went.
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#4 Chef Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:38 PM

Chef

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,466 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

Thanks for posting this. As I've written before, I have an appreciation for Henderson. After many Bobcat draft mistakes, he was pretty solid for his draft position. Stuck around long enough for both Bobcat playoff seasons, AND their disastrous worst-NBA-record-ever season as well. Played through four different coaches and the Hornets name change. Never developed elite offensive skills, but he was a fun athlete. I get nostalgic for his era here.

And he is at the center of the greatest inside scoop on this site. The hendo side piece!

Holding out hope that Mike sells.

#5 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:09 AM

GeraldWallaceMVP

All Aboard the Rozier Bandwagon

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,382 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC

Who can forgot all the mid range bricks in the fourth quarter or passes hitting people in the stands

#6 TooCool Posted 10 May 2019 - 06:33 AM

TooCool

Look Ma, No Hands

• Moderators

• 2,403 posts
  • Joined 15-November 09
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Was my favourite player during the time we were crap.

Never developed into that 3 point threat or 20 ppg scorer I hoped he would become; but he was a solid 2 way player and 2nd/3rd option on offense.

praise_the_sun_banner_by_mrwallas79-d53g

#7 justin credible Posted 11 May 2019 - 02:39 PM

justin credible

Jeff "Sure I'll Start" McInnis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Joined 02-June 13

Who can forgot all the mid range bricks in the fourth quarter or passes hitting people in the stands

Lol....he absolutely obliterated 2 women that one year

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users