#1 Chef Posted 21 June 2019 - 05:27 AM

Chef

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Honorary Beagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,428 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

Post yours here

I'll start, if i were to pick a color out of the the crayon box it would probably be beige but much closer to the baby poop yellow than the pretty tan side of the beige row.

the draft: PJ was a good pick and the only players drafted after him that i would have considered was goga and frenchie. goga i would have been fine with but as it stands now there are 4 centers on the roster. i know that each player is their own individual and past performance has no bearing on future success but i am done with french players for awhile. BUT, if no other changes are made and kemba walks, charlotte just drafted a solid contributor when a reset is going to be underway. might as well swung for the fences on either of the foreign players

second round: ouch. not sure you need to draft the sf/pg evan turner type who was probably going to go undrafted that high. i don't think it is the end of the world because the majority of 2nd rounders don't do anything anyway. the other kid shows promise IF he doesn't end up in jail for creepy stuff.

on the mitch tidbits: he said he didn't want to leverage the future for right now. at first i thought he might have been talking about bridges, bacon, picks etc. on second thought, i think it was cap space and roster flexibility. just based on what names were floating around, leads me to believe they considered the kevin love, cp3, wiggins type of contracts and ultimately decided not to cap out with lateral to worse moves. i am 100% fine with this approach. if it means losing kemba, i am ok with that. i have zero interest in watching a terrible team that is capped out for the next 4 years. however, i am going to assume that kemba was keyed in to all of the decisions that were made and why they were made. i can only assume that kemba is onboard for future roster flexibility. if these assumptions are incorrect, he is gone for sure.

on free agency: one of two possibilities. kemba resigns as does frank and the roster stays the same until flexibility presents itself either at the deadline or next summer.

the other, marv, mkg and biz are moved during free agency to bring in backcourt help that matters. this would provide some insight and make sense of how the draft looks in terms of roster construction which right now does not look good for retaining kemba.

my future outlook on this iteration of the hornets: not good. maybe a 3/10. 1/10 if kemba is not back.

Holding out hope that Mike sells.

#2 ncborn Posted 21 June 2019 - 06:28 AM

ncborn

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Joined 01-July 17
First this post is a jumble mess that seeks to undercut more specific well conceived postings that facilitate focus/on point discussions. Second this is the kind of crap that contributes to the low usage of this board but it’s also the highly favorite approach of a few posters so I expect it to be tolerated by the oblivious moderators. Lastly PJ is 6-7 with his shoes off - he’s NOT A CENTER!

This post is just the free flow from a stomach bubble!

#3 cltblkhscoach Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:31 AM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,041 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06

First this post is a jumble mess that seeks to undercut more specific well conceived postings that facilitate focus/on point discussions. Second this is the kind of crap that contributes to the low usage of this board but it’s also the highly favorite approach of a few posters so I expect it to be tolerated by the oblivious moderators. Lastly PJ is 6-7 with his shoes off - he’s NOT A CENTER!

Why did you come back again?

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#4 Adam42R Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:42 AM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,934 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

I feel like we met our limits pre-draft.  I am sure we tried with zeal to trade for someone that could space the floor and truly augment Kemba on the court and missed and I want to believe that Kemba is onboard with whatever we are doing.  I like the PJ Washington pick, he seemed from my reading to be every bit the right pick for us.  That pick reminds me of Bridges last year; I am sure there's another pick that could "ultimately" be better but I like what we got (both times).  It's hard for me to get excited about the #36 pick but if he's a decent handle, then I can see why we went that route.  

It seems like we're looking to have a very heavy concentration of guys 6'5"-6'9" and have abilities to score, drive, shoot, maybe pass.  I like that.  I don't like #52 with a lawsuit pending.  That seems like a bad idea in several ways.

Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#5 powellrmp Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:44 AM

powellrmp

Braindead Stupid 2020

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,509 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16

After reading your well thought out critique of chef’s post, in which you clearly highlighted ways to turn this website into a utopian community...I completely 100% agree with you Ncborn.

This website should increase accessibility to all, which is why I’ve translated your brilliant words into Albanian. People of all backgrounds should be able to read your words, the truth bombs you always so eloquently bestow upon us. I think being able to connect with the underrepresented Albanian Charlotte Hornets community will vastly increase the usage of this website.

Humbly yours,

Powellrm

———————-
“Së pari ky post është një rrëmujë që kërkon të nënvleftësojë më shumë postime specifike të konceptuara mirë që lehtësojnë fokusin / diskutimet në pika. Së dyti, kjo është lloj karre që kontribuon në përdorimin e ulët të këtij bordi, por është edhe qasja shumë e preferuar e disa posterave kështu që unë pres që ajo të tolerohet nga moderatorët e pavëmendshëm. Së fundi PJ është 6-7 me këpucët e tij off - ai nuk është një qendër!

Ky post është vetëm rrjedha e lirë nga një flluska e stomakut!”

#6 Mich_Mercer Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:45 AM

Mich_Mercer

Keep Monk and MKG

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,767 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC
Just woke up and I still don’t feel great about this. I don’t feel like we did anything at all. I keep thinking we could have taken the chance on both Little and Bol Bol. Two top 10 talents. Both could have no worked out, but they both had such high ceilings, which is what we need. We didn’t need another safe pick and that’s what we did. My favorite pick may have been the dude for SD State, which we’ll see how all the phone recording stuff turns out. But he looks like the athletic type that I think this team needs. At where he was picked... great pick. I don’t even want to talk about our 36th pick.... awful. This is the most disappointed I’ve been about a draft in a while.

#7 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:00 AM

GeraldWallaceMVP

All Aboard the Rozier Bandwagon

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,350 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC
I wanted us to trade the pick really bad but I won’t take that into consideration with this.

PJ Washington - Great Pick up at 24, PJ was one of the best scorers in the AC-.. Oh wait wrong PJ

Okay PJ Washington I’m not down or up on this pick. I’m not in the same boat as a lot of Hornets fans, I don’t think him and Miles are the same player outside of their tweener frames. PJ’s game seems much more suited to the PF position at least on offense than Miles. Where statistically our team played much better with Miles at SF not PF.

GWMVP Rating 7/10

Washington’s long arms and touch made him pretty deadly in the post up game in college. I could see him play center against some of the smaller centers.

Cody Martin - Hell No, should’ve been Bol

Rating: 1/10

Jalen McDaniels - Criminal Allegations aside, he seems like the best of our two second round picks. For one he isn’t approaching 40 and two he is pretty athletic, had some good stats at San Diego State too. Can’t say I know much about him but

Rating: 6/10

Free Agency:

Id say 70% chance we resign Kemba, after that this will be a fairly boring off season.

Season Record 41:41

#8 Buzzau Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:06 AM

Buzzau

Cardiac Kemba Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Joined 04-November 15
  • LocationMelbourne, Aus
I want us to trade either or all of MKG/marv/Batum/Cody/Biz, i don't care if the contracts we get in return are as bad as theirs, as long as they aren't worse.

We just need to do something different. We've been running the same lineups for 2 years and got nowhere. Just try something. Anything.

#9 powellrmp Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:19 AM

powellrmp

Braindead Stupid 2020

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,509 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16
As of right now I don’t think I can articulate my thoughts on the hornets draft.

But I will say that I love the night Atlanta had. I really like what they’re cooking in ATL.

Young
Reddish
Hunter
Collins

That’s a nice young group

#10 buckets Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:23 AM

buckets

• Honorary Beagle

• 5,501 posts
  • Joined 27-June 15
4 thoughts are:

- Frank is renounced
- Large salary shuffling trade
- Kemba has been promised to be traded whenever if he re-signs now and it doesn’t work out
- Biz gets stretched
#Chodidthemath

#11 Chef Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:24 AM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,428 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

4 thoughts are:

- Frank is renounced
- Large salary shuffling trade
- Kemba has been promised to be traded whenever if he re-signs now and it doesn’t work out
- Biz gets stretched

i sincerely hope you are wrong on frank

#12 BPfromfrance Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:25 AM

BPfromfrance

Sean May... Krispy-Kreme MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Joined 16-April 13

PJ Washington looks like a good pick,

I wish Sekou Doumbouya was the pick but other teams passed on him so maybe he didn't impressed in the workouts

I don't know about college basketball much but the Cody Martin is really bad if you consider no mock draft had him that high

#13 Whiz Kid Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:29 AM

Whiz Kid

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Joined 11-April 12

I want us to trade either or all of MKG/marv/Batum/Cody/Biz, i don't care if the contracts we get in return are as bad as theirs, as long as they aren't worse.

We just need to do something different. We've been running the same lineups for 2 years and got nowhere. Just try something. Anything.

Only way I can see myself being invested in this team next season honestly. I like what too many other teams have been doing and building the last few years to keep having to pretend to root for guys like Cody Zeller, Michael Kidd Gilchrist, Bismack Biyombo, Nicolas Batum to lead my team to the playoffs.
Personally, I never liked the direction of this roster in the first place. But it’s getting harder and harder to just suck it up and continue to support the Hornets. I can’t think of a team in American professional sports that’s more frustrating to be a fan of.

#14 Chef Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:04 AM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,428 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

another thought: the nba needs to make the draft after the opening two weeks of free agency

#15 buckets Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:04 AM

buckets

• Honorary Beagle

• 5,501 posts
  • Joined 27-June 15

i sincerely hope you are wrong on frank

Hard seeing that scenario playing out until Marvin or another vet is moved for a handler. As is Hornets are around $140m with Washington, Martin eventually signing, Kemba’s regular max, and assuming your standard edition backup PG.

And as much as I like Frank CHA needs a veteran handler and should avoid stretching Biyombo if they can.
#Chodidthemath

#16 buckets Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:04 AM

buckets

• Honorary Beagle

• 5,501 posts
  • Joined 27-June 15

another thought: the nba needs to make the draft after the opening two weeks of free agency

100%
#Chodidthemath

#17 Keetch Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:08 AM

Keetch

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,077 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06
In a way they did change it up when they finally turned to the youngsters last season. Going forward with Kemba, Bacon, Monk, Bridges, PJ and Graham sounds fine to me. I think Martin may work as a backup 2. Play any of the centers you want.

It ain’t a playoff team, but it’s fun enough. Work on moving or buying out the relic contracts without inducing more harm.

My only frustration was Mitch’s inability or ignorance of possible value in Edwards, Kabengele or Little in the late 1st/early 2nd round. So many trades were being made; I have a very hard time believing they couldn’t move up from 36.
Rollin' in Doh

#18 Keetch Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:11 AM

Keetch

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,077 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06
I read on Twitter that teams were mostly upset with Bol because he farted multiple times during his combine interview. They didn’t like that. Just saying.
Rollin' in Doh

#19 Swedd523 Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:18 AM

Swedd523

• Moderators

• 9,634 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

I view the draft in the B-/C+ area

PJ was a good choice IMO. I started talking about him a little bit prior to the draft and he grew on me as a prospect. I was a big NAW fan from the get go and still would've liked to have seen him be the pick, but NAW has plenty of warts that give pause. I think PJ has much higher potential than guys are giving him credit for and I love that he is exactly the type of guy whle HAVEN'T been drafting for years.

There are no holes in his physical makeup. He's got tremendous length and bulk and is in that size where he can legitimately play three positions based on matchups. Coaches don't have to get creative with lineups to put him on the floor like they do with MKG/Biz/Cody/Frank. He's a true enabler who will make building a roster easier.

He has a ton of skill traits that we have been bitching about for years with other guys:

-Has very soft hands and can score from either low block over either shoulder. He's also shown tremendous growth with passing out of the post to open shooters when defenses collapse. Yes please

-Can beat his man off the dribble from the FT line extended..... Going to either hand. Even more yes please.

-Can spread the floor and has a very workable jump shoot for a big with legit three point range. He has the potential to work as either a high post offense initiator or high end pick and pop player with Kemba.

Really the only hole in his offensive game is his poor FT shooting, and at 66% isn't really THAT bad. The good thing being that he's shown an improvement in each of the past two years from the charity stripe, so that bodes well for his continued development.

I think the 36 pick was a huge reach for a guy who could've been had with the 52 or potentially from the UDFA market. I would've preferred combining the two picks and trading up, or at least taking a different guy here (like Sirvydis or Schofield). I also unfairly grade this low because I think we're going to be kicking ourselves at seeing Fernando go two slots higher when we could've/should've found a way to get him.

That said, Martin does fit very well into that 3&D mold you're looking for and could be that Malcolm Brogdon type of player for us long term. His age is the biggest negative, but he looks and plays like an NBA player and that's honestly all you can hope for from the second round.

McDaniels is a super tall/long/athletic big. Tyrus Thomas Jr. He'll either put on weight and figure out how to contribute... Or be a G-League/foreign league all star. At 52 I'm cool taking a flyer on a guy like that, and there really weren't a ton of other options that I liked, so I'm take it or leave it with him.

#20 Swedd523 Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:25 AM

Swedd523

• Moderators

• 9,634 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

My thinking is that now Mitch is almost forced to make a trade.  The team is super imbalanced and needs to make something happen via the trade front since there is not enough cap space to make it work on the FA market.

We talked a little bit about LaVine, and after the draft I've come around on him as a trade target.  No idea of the feasibility, but it would be a super athletic and fun (and very young) lineup to watch.  Would just need to figure out how to consolidate all that Center trash into usable players (Bruno...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users