22 replies to this topic

#1 dnbman Posted 21 June 2019 - 05:48 PM

dnbman

Existential Crisis Manager

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,312 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

Mitch made the comment about our rookies playing for the Swarm this coming season, and it got a lot of negative comments from folks here. 

I'm wondering though if we've actually been pretty smart with how we've used the Swarm. Bacon certainly seemed to develop and Devonte Graham seemed to do well there, though I see people are now questioning his growth. 

I feel pretty good about the idea of our guys getting more playing time there if they're not quite ready, but coming back on the regular to suit up in Charlotte. 

Also, with the signing of Robert Franks to a two way contract, what does that make of Joe Chealey and Macura? I'm guessing they sign Macura again to another two way contract, but we can only have two guys on that right? Anybody heard anything about Chealey? 

Last Member: Nick Batum Fan Club

Professional Self-Loather

#2 Adam42R Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:59 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,934 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

I love that you brought up this topic.  I saw folks blowing up on this on Twitter last night and just cannot understand the critique.  The whole damned reason we acquired a D-League team was for the then-D - Development.  That we would only use it as a hot-tub pre-lube for guys returning from injury is just looney.  The team made a big BIG deal about Coach Wolf working with the A-League staff early on so that he had a strong feel for the direction when the season opened up in Greensboro.  This is exactly what the G-League is for, realistically.

To your exact point, I thought we got a whale of value out of Bacon and Graham's time up there.  As I said in the other thread, the numbers argument against DG is a bit of a miss for what I saw on court.  And I am really excited to see our 1st and 2nd year guys, if the opportunity affords them, time with the Swarm to get the minutes they won't get with the A-team.  

And funny enough, this is what we said we hired JB to do.  This is the SAS model.  They have guys spend tons of time in Austin from what I can tell.  Now granted they don't normally pick around lotto range but I don't see why that would change the mindset.  I wonder how much Miles would have benefitted from some run in Greensboro himself.  I know Monk would have when not getting any real time down here.

I think you are right on Macura.  He was that early target last year, Chealey came out of SL IIRC.  They could hold off on both and make that determination of who gets that seat after SL I guess.

Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#3 Buzzau Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:20 PM

Buzzau

Cardiac Kemba Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Joined 04-November 15
  • LocationMelbourne, Aus
Basketball seems like one of a few sports where fans seem to think playing young guys in the development league is a bad thing.

Washington is the only 1 of the 3 that I expect to play minutes next season that aren't junk time. It makes sense that all 3 of them would play in the D league to at least get some time to put what theyre doing in practice into a game. Otherwise they're just sitting on the bench all year long waiting to compete.

#4 QC Thundercats Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:54 PM

QC Thundercats

Quality Control Thundercats

• Honorary Beagle

• 2,253 posts
  • Joined 01-June 12

First this post is a jumble mess that seeks to undercut more specific well conceived postings that facilitate....oops, I forgot to switch it to my NCborn account.

But on the topic, I think its more a fan based stigma, that if a guy has to play in the minor league, then he's not good enough.  In baseball, even the best prospects start lower and work their way up.  Don't see why it can't be that way with basketball, especially if they open up the draft to high schoolers again.

The other usage I thought was good was when the team was at home, and they assigned a guy to play a game in Greensboro to get some run and apply their learnings, then they can go right back to the main roster to travel or play.  Didn't Marcus Paige play in a g-league and then NBA game the same night, if I'm remembering correctly?

#5 Keetch Posted 22 June 2019 - 05:23 AM

Keetch

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,077 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06
My feeling is that a number 12 pick shouldn’t need to find playing time in the G League, including PJ. I think he’s way too good to be riding the bench.

So the statement that PJ would see time with the Swarm implies to me that the Hornets don’t know yet what they have. Which is a little unsettling. But what with this team isn’t? They’re always 3 steps behind.
Rollin' in Doh

#6 Chef Posted 22 June 2019 - 05:39 AM

Chef

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,428 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

My feeling is that a number 12 pick shouldn’t need to find playing time in the G League, including PJ. I think he’s way too good to be riding the bench.

So the statement that PJ would see time with the Swarm implies to me that the Hornets don’t know yet what they have. Which is a little unsettling. But what with this team isn’t? They’re always 3 steps behind.

historically, rookies are not good, winning players. if you are a playoff team, rookies provide little in the way of furthering success in the rookie year. if you are a terrible team picking in the top 10, you play rookies but you aren't expecting a ton of wins. i think mitch is setting expectations with pj ie don't be surprised if he spends some time in the minors to figure some things out and get burn. i also wonder if mitch doesn't want to seem super desperate to trade mkg/marv by saying batum and miles are the only other pf's who will be left on the roster, so i definitely see a role for pj.

Holding out hope that Mike sells.

#7 Adam42R Posted 22 June 2019 - 11:38 AM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,934 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
Kind of Swarmesque - Summer League topic. Is this an error of omission on Steve Reed's part, Mitch's, or is the guy we most need to see out of our 2nd and 3rd year guys really ditching SL?

tumblr_myhe5bGSOv1t7xe6go3_400.gif

Mitch telegraphing a move there?
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#8 dnbman Posted 22 June 2019 - 11:41 AM

dnbman

• Moderators

• 6,312 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

Kind of Swarmesque - Summer League topic.  Is this an error of omission on Steve Reed's part, Mitch's, or is the guy we most need to see out of our 2nd and 3rd year guys really ditching SL?

tumblr_myhe5bGSOv1t7xe6go3_400.gif

As of yesterday, Monk hasn't agreed to attend. I have mixed feelings about it. I can understand if Monk wants to avoid injury and will be working hard all summer with staff or otherwise to improve. However, for someone young and unproven, would like to see some run in a competitive environment. 

The other thing too is that we don't know how the possibility of being traded may be impacting his decision, if at all. Don't know if that means anything or not.

#9 Mich_Mercer Posted 22 June 2019 - 12:10 PM

Mich_Mercer

Keep Monk and MKG

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,767 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC
We should have a fun summer league team to watch. Bacon may average 30 a game.

#10 Chef Posted 22 June 2019 - 01:59 PM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,428 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

As of yesterday, Monk hasn't agreed to attend. I have mixed feelings about it. I can understand if Monk wants to avoid injury and will be working hard all summer with staff or otherwise to improve. However, for someone young and unproven, would like to see some run in a competitive environment.

The other thing too is that we don't know how the possibility of being traded may be impacting his decision, if at all. Don't know if that means anything or not.

I will help him pack

#11 buckets Posted 22 June 2019 - 02:13 PM

buckets

• Honorary Beagle

• 5,501 posts
  • Joined 27-June 15

Was he actually asked and thus far refused? I’m not a fan of year 3 semi-rotation players getting SL burn but jeez, Monk of all people should demonstrate the willingness to grind if asked.
#Chodidthemath

#12 Whiz Kid Posted 22 June 2019 - 02:42 PM

Whiz Kid

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Joined 11-April 12

Definitely a stretch, but maybe staff withheld him from SL to prevent injury with expectations of a bigger role next season maybe? Or a trade, which is the more likely option but yeah..

#13 dnbman Posted 22 June 2019 - 02:50 PM

dnbman

• Moderators

• 6,312 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

Was he actually asked and thus far refused? I’m not a fan of year 3 semi-rotation players getting SL burn but jeez, Monk of all people should demonstrate the willingness to grind if asked.

Well... 

SUMMER LEAGUE

Kupchak said the Hornets roster for the Las Vegas Summer League in July will include Bacon, Graham, Bridges, last year’s second-round pick Arnoldas Kubolka and the three draft choices.

Monk has not yet committed to play in summer league, Kupchak said. As a player going into his third season, he’s not obligated to do so. But considering Monk was in and out of the rotation last season, it seems logical he would play for at least part of summer league.

“We’re kind of working our way through it right now. Maybe, but we don’t have him committed right now,” Kupchak said, adding that it’s possible Monk would play the first couple of games, then be done. Monk injured his hand last summer, limiting his summer league participation.

via https://www.charlott...e231819943.html

#14 buckets Posted 22 June 2019 - 02:59 PM

buckets

• Honorary Beagle

• 5,501 posts
  • Joined 27-June 15

Well... 

via https://www.charlott...e231819943.html

Man, I almost always side with the player. Not great optics though considering Miles, Bacon, and Graham passed him in the rotation last season.
#Chodidthemath

#15 Adam42R Posted 22 June 2019 - 03:03 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 8,934 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

That's really disturbing.  If I am him, I am getting pretty nervous that Bacon has swung around me in multiple ways.  I sure wouldn't want to give Devonte the opportunity to get more cycles with the staff and fellow players going into training camp.  Unless.... he's happy to be traded.  Wasn't there a point in time early in the season where he was intimating he wanted out of here??

#16 cltblkhscoach Posted 22 June 2019 - 03:10 PM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,041 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
I dont know if its Malik as much as its probably his agent controlling his client

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#17 dnbman Posted 22 June 2019 - 03:13 PM

dnbman

• Moderators

• 6,312 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

That's really disturbing.  If I am him, I am getting pretty nervous that Bacon has swung around me in multiple ways.  I sure wouldn't want to give Devonte the opportunity to get more cycles with the staff and fellow players going into training camp.  Unless.... he's happy to be traded.  Wasn't there a point in time early in the season where he was intimating he wanted out of here??

I think he made some indirect comment that he wanted to play for someone that likes or appreciates him, but not necessarily that he wanted to be traded. Clear implication was that if Charlotte didn't like him, trade him. 

I'm sure pro players have lots of opportunities to put in work with staff and show their growth, but summer league definitely seems like a good opportunity if a guy hasn't proven himself yet.

And, cltblkhscoach, Could very well be the case.

#18 cltblkhscoach Posted 22 June 2019 - 04:27 PM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,041 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
Its not all bad with Malik...

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#19 Chef Posted 22 June 2019 - 05:21 PM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,428 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

I dont know if its Malik as much as its probably his agent controlling his client

I imagine you are mostly right. Contract coming up soon. He seems to always be having fun on the bench. He seems to like his teammates.

#20 Mustachio Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:10 PM

Mustachio

• Honorary Beagle

• 6,336 posts
  • Joined 11-July 06
Yeah I don't feel like this is a big deal at all. He's a third year player.
Into the crevasse!

"Climb down Lemon, Climb down"Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users